Katherine Heigl discusses house in Utah, love for family and Mormon values

• UtahnativeinliberalCA Claremont, CA
    Feb. 23, 2016 5:08 p.m.

I wish her and her family peace and comfort.

• daysi5 BETTENDORF, IA
    Jan. 20, 2015 4:10 p.m.

I love this interview and Katherine! She's so genuine and keeps it real. I love Utah too and recently moved back there, to my roots. I look forward to any and all movies/shows that Katherine stars in.

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    Sept. 22, 2014 4:43 a.m.

I don't know what church "Church member" belongs to, but anyone who believes they can "move on" from the Church into something more true is deceiving themselves. The Gospel already encompasses all truth from all sources; anything outside it only pulls someone further away from truth. The Church itself is true and evidence for that is overwhelming to anyone that takes time to look for it. Leaving does not take courage at all. On the contrary: it's an act of cowardice.

As for Katherine Heigl, great on her for sticking with the Church's moral values to some extent, but without any real faith it doesn't mean much. The deeply corrupt cultural influence of Hollywood is probably what drove her away. You can hardly live the Gospel in its fullness in an environment where the Word of Wisdom is virtually impossible to follow and immorality is part of the job. It sounds like there's some sort of testimony buried in there somewhere, but she needs to break away from the prison in which she has locked herself before it can blossom back into what it should be.

• HotGlobe SAN RAFAEL, CA
    Sept. 10, 2014 1:40 p.m.

"not currently being actively involved in something doesn't mean you do not believe it is true."
    Sure it does. If somebody really believed all that LDS stuff, they could not help but follow it. By their acts, most Americans show that they are atheists, including most people raised LDS.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2014 4:13 p.m.

@Daniel Ben
    "I would say it takes considerably more courage and strength to stay in the church than it does to leave. "

It depends on circumstances and reason for leaving. Like if someone's leaving due to sincere lack of belief then it's better to leave. There's no courage and strength in staying via lying. If someone's leaving because even though they believe the church is actually true they just don't want to pay tithing then I'd agree it takes more courage and strength to stay.

• Aurelius maximus Berryville, VA
    Sept. 8, 2014 8:00 a.m.

@ UT Brit

"The reason I came on this article is to dispel the myth of claims I have read here and often in the church, that you can only be "truly" happy when an active member of the church."

Well for some people that might be literally the truth though. Each person derives happiness from different things.

I understand your point though.

I think a more correct phrase would be that your probability of happiness increases as you follow the principles found in the Gospel of Jesus Christ as taught by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Another way you can interpret it though is your most likely to be active if you are following the teachings of Jesus Christ in your life and therefore more likely to be happy.

At the same time Happiness is not guaranteed at all times. Happiness is a choice to be made. Sometimes it is a lot harder to make than others.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 8, 2014 7:29 a.m.

Katharine is a strong example to young people who are starting to realize that religion (any brand) is not for them. When this happens, it is usually because they see bad examples and it is a really wonderful thing that they don't throw aside all of the good with the bad. This is akin to leaving any relationship in that some will only remember the experience as bad and some will smile and remember that there was also a lot that was good..

• UT Brit London, England
    Sept. 8, 2014 2:25 a.m.

"These people who leave the church just can't seem to leave the church alone!"

I have given years of my life to the church and thousands of dollars. If you think people who leave the church can just swat out there entire past with a wave of their arm, you are mistaken. I have friends and my entire family are still in the church, hence church is still a part of my life.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2014 10:05 p.m.

You wrote "I think a lot of people follow these Deseret news posts just so they can say something bad about the LDS church. What a negative activity.. Maybe they should find a more useful way to spend their time....time is limited after."

And on the flip side, many also follow the DesNews and posts comments to find fault and critique those who don't believe in the church to varying degrees. Just read how many people are trying to sell Heigl on her shortcomings (or as they suppose). She doesn't need your advice ya'll. And from what I read, you are going to steer her further away from church activity. Chill please.

• kiwi111 Auckland, New Zealand, 00
    Sept. 7, 2014 8:06 p.m.

I totally agree with you, Curbee. I never thought I would ever use the following cliche, but the more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that it is actually the best way to describe these people who pop up at any opportunity to twist a normal, positive and informative article, to fit their often misplaced and mis-/ill-informed agenda. The cliche? These people who leave the church just can't seem to leave the church alone! Get a life people.

• curbee North Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 7, 2014 11:37 a.m.

I think a lot of people follow these Deseret news posts just so they can say something bad about the LDS church. What a negative activity.. Maybe they should find a more useful way to spend their time....time is limited after all.

• Jesus Loves U kaysville, UT
    Sept. 6, 2014 11:03 p.m.

It's not about a 'true Church", it's about Jesus and the relationship you have with Him. If you have received Him and are born again, you are His child, this is the time one becomes a Child of His. I was LDS but clearly God showed me that it wasn't for me any longer and made my choice to be a follower of Him, not through the LDS church. I've never been happier. I praise and worship Him in such a different way. It's all about whether you "truly know Him or not". God bless.

• grandmagreat Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Sept. 6, 2014 5:33 p.m.

Oh Sister, please find your way home! The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the greatest blessing that we can have. Eternal Families are one of the greatest teachings that we have in the LDS Church today. I am one of 10 children, with only 4 of us left. Through our Mother and other great ancestors, we have the blessings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in our lifes, and someday, when the time is right we have been taught, and we will each testify, that we will be together again as a family. Our mother set the exmples for us, and she is waiting to take us in her arms. May the Lord Bless you and yours.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Sept. 6, 2014 3:25 p.m.

Red Corvette

Yes, and not currently being actively involved in something doesn't mean you do not believe it is true.

• djk blue springs, MO
    Sept. 6, 2014 1:10 p.m.

so if she appreciates the values then why doesn't she live them ? there are other Latter-day Saint celebs whom DO NOT live the standards and only claim the gospel when it suits them to look good.

• In Layton Latyton, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 7:07 p.m.

Katherine is a beautiful, talented person. And she is right; Utah is a beautiful place with wonderful people. There are only a handful of you left who cannot accept non-Mormons, or anyone who has dared to leave your church (I see a few of you have left a comment here. Tsk, tsk, your intolerance is showing). I am happy to say that the rest of the population of Utah, including most of the Mormon population, are very open and accepting of everyone who calls Utah home. Welcome home, Katherine. We are happy to have you here!

• hermounts Pleasanton, CA
    Sept. 5, 2014 6:11 p.m.

It seems like she IS living the faith she was brought up in, to a degree. Now she needs to build on that.

• DrHr Midvale, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 5:35 p.m.

Maybe living in Utah she will come back to church. Could you imagine her showing up at that ward? Whew! That'd be entertaining to see.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 5, 2014 5:10 p.m.

@UT Britt

Good for you in finding peace, if indeed you have. There are many here in this forum caught up in trying to define what acts correspond to a courageous person. Unfortunately, for the sake of intelligent conversation, they do so without relative context. And furthermore, based on spiritual matters, one should never speak or judge concerning another's courage or lack thereof.

As for courage? To me, it seems that you have exercised courage. At least I have no reason to believe otherwise. I don't know what you feel inside but I will take you on your word. Your comments come from the heart and I respect that. Other comments seeking to expose a flaw in you are full of flaw themselves. Those comments can't come from the heart and are full of insecurity. If it's true you have found your burdens lifted then don't fret with these comments from people regurgitating jargon for doctrine. Again, they are trying to expose your folly but they are ONLY exposing their own.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 5, 2014 3:51 p.m.

Too many here seem to feel inclined to make comments solely obsessed with what 'church member' wrote. Where's the insight? As a byproduct of the insecurity some are having with 'Church members' comments, more of you are refuting things that are somewhat non existent and it's going nowhere except for judging Heigl in the process.

If you find it important to defend your perception of a perfect church universe, then you might not want to come off as petty to those reading these comments and perhaps Katherine herself. Compliments work better. But if one sees a need to speak hard truth, then having a sincere approach that is free from defensive motivations and incentives on winning arguments is more likely to get through.

If I was looking at these comments as a person interested in the church, I would think these people sound crazy. Do we really need this trivial analysis? I mean we just read an article about a young women who has apparently found happiness with her family in Deer Valley and she expressed that the church was a help to her family. That's it.

• UT Brit London, England
    Sept. 5, 2014 3:13 p.m.

What don't I get exactly? I was responding to cats assertion that happiness is only found in the church. If she wanted to talk about eternal happiness I assume she would have stated that.

I have read my scriptures, said my prayers, served at the temple, served in my calling on the bishopric and feel far more peace and calm now than before. I feel a burden has been lifted from me and feel a huge sense of liberation.
    Why do I feel better about myself and my family than when I was living my life in the church before?

• maclouie Falconer, NY
    Sept. 5, 2014 2:17 p.m.

UT Brit:

You don't get it. Christ never said it would be easy or cause us to be happy all the time in this life. His Atonement was to pay for all sin and all misery that all of us experience in mortality. His promise is that if we follow him, exercise faith, and do those things he specified, then it would lead all to Eternal Happiness, which is what I think @Cats actually meant. Knowing the truth and following the True Teacher will bless everyone's life somehow, but it does not guarantee perfect health, mentally or physically, nor the elimination of problems and challenges.

Making covenants, following the commandments, and receiving the saving ordinances from those who are authorized to administer them will lead the Eternal Happiness and you are not in a position nor have authority to say it wont.

• jasonlivy Orem, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 1:33 p.m.

UT Brit:

I've been a member of the LDS church all my life and I've come to these conclusions. One, we are accountable for our actions. Two, there is no magic formula for bliss and tranquility.

What the gospel gives is peace, as we adhere to it's teachings. If we choose to stop praying and feasting on the scriptures (not easy to do on a daily basis), we will lose the spirit and become subject to our own vices. It's these vices that bring us down and 'wickedness never was happiness'.

We have not be promised, as members of the Church, that we will live in a blissful utopia. We are subject to pain and suffering along with everyone else. All we've been promised is that we will have peace in times of struggle, the we can receive the comforting assurance that God is there and He is aware of our suffering. And if we 'press forward, feasting upon the word of God, and endure to the end, we shall obtain Eternal Life'. Nowhere in the doctrines of the church or in scripture does it say that we are immune from depression, anxiety, or worse.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    Sept. 5, 2014 12:58 p.m.

I admired Katherine as an actress long before I knew she was LDS and have to admit, when I found that she was a member of the Church, I was pleasantly surprised, but then felt a let-down when I discovered she was not active in the Church.

I felt the same hearing Ryan Gosling was raised Mormon but no longer practicing the faith. There seems to be something about Hollywood and religion that few actors find compatible. I think it's a sad commentary on the film industry, since many who are active in any faith find it hard to find parts that do not violate their moral standards.

Being a guy, there was one other thing in Katherine's interview that troubled me. She referred to everything as being "My" ranch, dog, horses, etc. I felt the embarrassment it might be for her husband that she was not saying "Our" ranch, etc. instead. Even if her money is what made it possible, if I were the husband, I would feel left out and diminished, hearing that.

• PhysicsEngineer Roy, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 12:45 p.m.

I could relate to her. I was raised in the LDS Church as well. Like her, I am no longer a practicing member, but feel like I have a lot of good qualities that were a result of the way I was raised. I lead a pretty conservative and very family oriented lifestyle. I love Utah and my neighbors and community.

Too often I think people leave and seem bent on putting the LDS church and those who believe it down. Ultimately I decided I did not believe it, or any organized religion for that matter, but I try not to attack others for what they believe. Other than some differences of opinion when it comes to politics, I have no issue with the church or it's members.

It really is too bad that we can't see past each others differences to what we have in common. This world is missing mutual respect that we should afford one another.

• Columbus Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 12:40 p.m.

Happy Liberal,

Why do you think other women should do the same? It sounds like you need validation. An honest decision shouldn't need validation by others. On the other hand, Heigl seems confident in doing what is right for her and her family.

• UT Brit London, England
    Sept. 5, 2014 12:40 p.m.

Daniel Ben

Deciding to leave the church is one of the hardest things I have done. I could sit in church each week and carry on like everything is normal but I would be lying to myself.
    I am potentially losing my family and friends because of my decision, please don't patronise me by saying its harder to stay in the church, in my situation its completely false

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 11:36 a.m.

GOOD comments here.

Above all (although I'm not an official spokesperson for the church) - we (Christian LDS worshippers) need to strive to make EVERYONE feel welcome at any/all of our gatherings.

Lets be inclusive - NEVER exclusive!

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Sept. 5, 2014 11:35 a.m.

The silly debate over which is more "courageous" -- staying in the LDS Church or leaving it -- is meaningless without context. Every person's situation is different. If you're a pioneer asked to uproot your family and follow a supposed prophet to parts unknown in the West, it's probably fair to say that doing so took tremendous courage.

If you're a successful actress who's been raised LDS and has generally positive feelings about the faith, does it take more "courage" to leave or stay? I have no idea. Neither do you. Depends on her family relationships, her circle of friends, and most importantly, how she actually feels about the doctrine. Does she believe it's literally all true? Then staying or returning would require courage. Does she regard it as helpful and appealing but doesn't actually buy it? Then staying or returning would be lying to herself. Which is true? None of us have any idea.

I'm a lifelong member who figured out it's all make-believe a few years ago. Leaving would destroy my family, but would allow me to be honest with everyone. Which road requires courage? Tough question.

• Crackers n Cheese Price, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 10:45 a.m.

Many years ago Katherine talked about this in a video interview. She said that the church had given her much joy and "fun" as a teen. I remember distinctly she said, "I had so much fun as a Mormon teenager," saying the Church gives the youth many opportunities to be together doing worthwhile and wholesome activities. She then said, she was no longer a practicing Mormon because she was just too "lazy." Lazy was the word she used.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 9:45 a.m.

Church member and happy liberal are right. Thanks.

• milaadmas Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 9:39 a.m.

I agree with you but I think that whether in the Church or outside of the Church people are going to focus on perfection. There are many personalities within the Church and just because a small group of people within the Church focus on perfection doesn't mean the rest of them are like that.

Hat's off to Kathrine. Her class & intelligence is amazing. I like how she always keeps it together and her success isn't driven by negative publicity. Her talent as an actress is the root of her success. Whether you're a religious person or not, her view on family life is definitely a great one in my book.

• Red Corvette St. George, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 9:30 a.m.

Appreciating something doesn't mean you believe it is true.

• gharmons Helendale, CA
    Sept. 5, 2014 9:13 a.m.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged." I don't pretend to know what is in her heart, and neither do any who have commented. Decisions made at one point in life are often reversed later in life.

• taatmk West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 8:45 a.m.

Interesting how people can read the very same words and get totally different meanings from it. I personally read that Heigl very much appreciates the Mormon Church and what it has taught her, the strength it gave her and her family. I see no animosity spoken about it.

Interesting how others read it differently, perhaps projecting their own feelings onto someone else, which says more about them, than those to whom they apply their own feelings.

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Sept. 5, 2014 8:44 a.m.

@ UT Brit

"I know many, many people outside the church that lead good, happy lives. I know many people in the church that are unhappy and depressed."

I would agree with you on this as well.

I have debated this idea in my head myself because I have dealt with my own share of depression and anxiety.

I think a sentiment that I think is shared whether consciously or unconsciously between members sometimes is that if you are are doing everything the church tells you to do then you will be happy which isn't accurate.

Although I believe the things the Church teaches are true I think some people in the Church focus a little too much on perfection and comparing themselves to others. I think that is one of the big issues that the Church and the world in general deals with.

I would elaborate in more detail but I am constantly staring at the word count allowance and can't seem to fit my thoughts into the box that I am allowed.

• Vince Ballard South Ogden, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 8:38 a.m.

Being inactive and leaving the Church are two different things. Some of the correspondents seem not to recognize that. I have a hunch these respondents have never had any Church positions of substance(Relief Society, Priesthood), of they would know the difference. I can only hope that Ms. Heigl will revisit this issue as she lives her life. Best wishes to her.

• UT Brit London, England
    Sept. 5, 2014 7:39 a.m.

"and know they are the true and only way to find happiness"

It isnt though, I know many, many people outside the church that lead good, happy lives. I know many people in the church that are unhappy and depressed.

The church does not have exclusive rights on the happiness tag. Also please dont start on about "true" happiness, you will be able to hear my eyes rolling in the States.

• funny_guy Vacaville, CA
    Sept. 5, 2014 7:15 a.m.

CM: Do you not see the irony in your comment? You applaud Heigl for "MOVING ON" from her LDS upbringing yet she has moved her family to Utah to join a community that embraces the core values of her youth. Those values were gained through her parent's conversion to the Church and her involvement in Church activities. I have met several struggling actors that experienced the same dilemma -- it is difficult to live in the world while living of the world. Unfortunately, these standards are not meant to be easy to live. This scenario is repeated in many Utah homes that want to raise their family in an LDS culture without a commitment to active Church attendance. They simply want the Church on their terms, not the Lords. We all need to continually remind ourselves of the purpose in the Lord reestablishing the Church upon the earth and whether we are willing to serve Him in preparing for His second coming. The expression, God will force no man to Heaven, comes to mind.

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Sept. 5, 2014 7:14 a.m.

I am happy that her and her family found some happiness by following LDS principles and sharing that knowledge with others.

I know that as people follow the principles of the gospel that they can have the Holy Spirit them and that they will be happier as a result.

• Aggie5 Kuna, ID
    Sept. 5, 2014 6:54 a.m.

I see that she still believes the church is true, and comments about its solid ways.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 6:39 a.m.

Dear Church Member:

I have read two interviews of Katherine in which she stated that she wanted to get back into the church. I hope she eventually makes it. She has NEVER stated that the church isn't true. I think deep down she knows it is and she wants those blessings in her life.

I know that the Church is true. I know this for two reasons. One is that I have applied the principles in my own life and know they are the true and only way to find happiness. The most important reason I know it is true is because of personal revelation from God. I am accountable for knowing it and saying it and you are accountable for reading it.

• MickelsonBJ Tremonton, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 6:00 a.m.

It makes me happy to hear that even though Katherine Heigl has chosen to move on from the Mormon faith, she can remain positive about the church's influence in her life and the lives of her family members. It is nice to hear stories of people who decide that the LDS faith is not true for them, continue to live good, clean lives, and yet refrain from only seeing what they think are negative aspects of their prior faith. Bravo to her for having the courage to remain positive about a religion even though she is not a practicing member anymore.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 5:25 a.m.

Church member, How come you haven't? Also can you tell us which one is true?

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 5, 2014 5:18 a.m.

It doesn't appear that she has completely moved on. By following teachings of her childhood faith, her life has been blessed.
    And it is True!

• JPL South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 4:45 a.m.

@Church Member - Katherine doesn't say that she "left" but if it makes you happy to think that then go right ahead. She also never says she figured out it's "not true" as you claim, she's just not actively practicing the Mormon faith (an many times has said she plans to return to full activity). If anything she gives credit to the LDS Church for pulling her family together and instilling in her some very sound beliefs. You are right in saying that you can live a "good, honest and moral life" if you aren't Mormon. How you live is a choice whether you are Mormon, Catholic, Baptist, Atheist, etc. Bravo on her for having the strength to admit how influential the Mormon Faith has been on her life, especially doing it in an interview that will reach the whole world and also considering the profession she is in.

• strudelcat christiansburg, VA
    Sept. 5, 2014 4:42 a.m.

Church Member, you make it sound so "honorable" that Ms. Heigl left the church. That only thing that is "not true" are your comments. I actually think Ms. Heigl will come back to the church one day when her children are older..and yes, as a matter of fact I do speak from experience. Twenty years of being inactive and experiencing the "world" left me empty, hollow, and in pain. The only truth I could ever come to was that I was a daughter of God and should start living my life that way. The more I study Christ, the more clarity I get about why I am here, where I came from and where I'm going. By the way, why are you still in Utah if you have such disdain for the Church? You know what they say...if you can't take the heat, get out of the frying pan! Yes, i do agree that many people live moral, honest and good lives that are not LDS...but I also believe that if they knew the truth their earthly lives would be so much richer.

• Daniel Ben Herndon, VA
    Sept. 4, 2014 11:52 p.m.

I would say it takes considerably more courage and strength to stay in the church than it does to leave. Regardless, good for her for holding on to some of those beliefs and values.

• T2 SLC, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 11:09 p.m.

Church Member, too bad she didn't have the courage and strength to stay. Just a matter of perspective.

• Kellie Wood Orem, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 11:08 p.m.

Heigle says she still has some Mormon in her. I hardly call that leaving the Mormon church so stop saying that. She even says it helped her parents. I hardly call that putting the church down either. Stop exaggerating the situation.

• G-Day-M8 Where is Waldo, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 11:00 p.m.

@ Church Member

I didn't read anything in the article that said she moved on because the LDS church was not true. It said she was not practicing but still had a lot of mormon in her.

Better luck next time.

• Church member North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 10:19 p.m.

It makes me happy to hear that Katherine Heigl has moved on from her Mormon beliefs. It is nice to hear stories of people who figure out it is not true but can still live a good, honest, and moral lives! Bravo to her for having the courage and strength to leave.