Utah

Susan Powell's father wins life insurance legal battle but is scolded in process

Comments

• Philippine Bonita Sammamish, WA
    Sept. 6, 2014 9:49 p.m.

Uh...$50k?? Yeah, I don't know anyone with an amount that small. That woukdnt even pay off the average person's house, much less provide for someone's needs. Most people I know have at least $500k. Usually around $1M.

• The Final Word Alpine, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 10:06 a.m.

@sammyg

Did you read the story?

All judges have ruled against exactly what you say will legally happen.

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    Sept. 4, 2014 9:16 a.m.

@hockeymom And why would the DN's reporting how he is going to spend the money any of our business? What good would that do? It would only turn out to be something that everyone would be judgmental about. It's none of our business.

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Sept. 4, 2014 7:17 a.m.

@ Ted's Head

Weeeeell if you are in the military typically 400k since that is the max offered for a reasonable rate.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 7:04 a.m.

I don't see why either side should be rewarded. There isn't a body or evidence of a death. It should be null and void until the Powells show where they placed the body.

With that said. The court system should be scolded for taking the boy's away from the Cox family and allowing Josh to have access to them. Everyone could see that train wreck miles away. How sad.

If the boy's were alive, then I could see pushing to get the money to care for the boy's. Ensuring that the Powells do not see a penny from it.

• hockeymom Highland, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 6:39 a.m.

I'm shocked that murder suicide carried out by the one who bought the policies is not a legitimate loop hole for an insurance company to get out of paying any funds to family left behind. Someone please tell me no monies were awarded on Josh Powell, just Susan and the kids, right?

It will be interesting to see what Chuck Cox does with the money. Will he pay off his expenses for having to carry on his search for Susan and fight the legal battles? Share with family left behind or take a much deserved vacation? Set up a memorial for Susan? I hope DN gets an interview with Mr. Cox and reports on that.

• K Mchenry, IL
    Sept. 3, 2014 10:13 p.m.

He changed the POD just before he killed the boys and himself. I don't know how the insurance should have to pay out anything at all to anyone.

You do need a policy for a care taking spouse. You need to hire a nanny or get daycare. A non working spouse may not get death benefits if they have been out of the workforce for some years. And you should think about college for children. There may be only one providing through the college years. That is a lot to take on with the rest of the bills.

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:03 p.m.

Same question.

For a family who I understand was not in great financial health, why would they buy $3,000,000 or more in life insurance on the lower earning spouse? I dont care what "leverage" can be exercized against it, that seems like poor decision for the average person.

I still feel so bad for the boys.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 8:11 p.m.

Ted's Head

The answer is... not enough.

Sadly, many people do not understand what insurance can be leveraged for and make poor decisions about it.

• Aggie5 Kuna, ID
    Sept. 3, 2014 7:54 p.m.

Teds head.
    The average is probably about 50,000.

• From Ted's Head Orem, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 7:32 p.m.

So, $3 million in Insurance policies? Just a bit more than I have. Anyone know what the average American has in the form of Life Insurance?

• carito_2000 Ava, USA, MO
    Sept. 3, 2014 7:30 p.m.

franc, It doesn't go away because it is not a story. It is real life that is still going on and on. You could just stop reading about it if you are bored with it or tired of it. I just wish they had that option. I bet they wish it was something they weren't dealing with.... still. Such a very sad family situation to live in. I hope they can find peace and comfortable.

• franc Kirkland, WA
    Sept. 3, 2014 6:59 p.m.

I think it's sad that the family has to continue to go through all this ... but why must we?
    Ugh. I wish this story would go away.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 6:58 p.m.

Sal

The law is quite clear when it comes to life insurance contracts.

Regardless of your opinion or any others on the matter, the contractual obligations of the insurance company will award the Powell's their portion of the death benefits.

We can at least agree that they did suffer the loss of two innocent grandchildren.

• Sal Provo, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 6:25 p.m.

The Powells should not get anything.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Sept. 3, 2014 5:54 p.m.

Who cares what the judge said. He ruled in Charles Cox' favor. Period. Good for Mr. Cox. I hope he and his wife is able to get every last cent from anything having to do with with the Powell family.