Faith

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Jan. 2, 2015 3:52 p.m.

Now I'm fantasizing for BYU:
    HC- Ken Niumatalolo
    DC- Bronco Mendenhall
    OC- ...........(Robert Anae).....
    Strength & Conditioning- Larry Jackson (I'm betting our linemen would end up stronger, faster and lighter)

Where's my magic wand?????

• AKFan JUNEAU, AK
    Sept. 5, 2014 11:47 p.m.

Great story. Thanks for introducing us to the mountain behind the hill.

• ed in atl Duluth, GA
    Sept. 5, 2014 3:08 p.m.

Great story! I love hearing great conversion stories like this. Go Aggies!

• sharrona layton, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 1:29 p.m.

RE: Signs of a Christian experience(conversion) of unity love and devotion is qualified by an awareness of a great gulf between sinful creatures and an absolute Holy being. i.e.. Is 6:5 Woe is me! ..for I am a man of unclean lips(sinner). A higher devotion for Jesus and a thirst for the Bible. J Edwards .

Amazing Grace God saved a wretch like me.

• YOGI46 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 8:54 a.m.

What great words of advice: Conversion is every day event. I love the phrase,"sometimes we crawl, walk, and sprint towards Heavenly Father." What great words of wisdom to remember everyday. Thank you for your conversion story...I am so glad I read this article.

• BYR West Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 11:54 p.m.

Oh great, just great. Now I have to cheer for TAMU? Dang.. when will it all end? BYU, Utah, Navy, TAMU, so many teams....

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 7:07 p.m.

Great story about a great man. God bless you Bro Jackson, hope you enjoy a lot of success.

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    Sept. 4, 2014 5:24 p.m.

“Conversion is every day. I just want to make sure that I'm going in the right direction whether one day I feel like sprinting or walking or crawling." I like that! I was a crawler.

• Clifton Palmer McLendon Gilmer, TX
    Sept. 4, 2014 5:05 p.m.

I am another Latter-day Saint who used to be a Baptist -- and I served my freshman year in Company I-1 of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets ...

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 4:36 p.m.

I would love to have Bro. Jackson come to BYU to replace a retiring Jay Olmer. However I love Bro. Jackson serving young men in the SEC just as much. Besides he monetarily he probably makes as much as Bronco Mendenhall does.

Either way I loved his sensitivity to the spirit. Some people wouldn't recognize the spirit if it was dumped in their lap from a dump truck.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 2:03 p.m.

Cool...

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Sept. 4, 2014 1:24 p.m.

Great article. Brother Jackson--thanks for sharing your story! Never had a reason to root for an SEC team. Maybe now I do!

• PhilRM Anchorage, AK
    Sept. 4, 2014 1:14 p.m.

Jay Omer, BYU's current strength and conditioning coach, is retiring after this year. Can we get Coach Jackson to come to BYU? It would be awesome!

• Cindyrella Pearland, TX
    Sept. 4, 2014 12:28 p.m.

Dear Brother Jackson,

Your story has lifted me up and inspired me. I know that sweet feeling that you described as you entered the meeting houses and when the missionaries came to your door. You see, my conversion story is a long one. It is one that the missionaries used to teach others with and one, that when I shared it in Sacrament, I had many people, including Stake Presidents, ask me to write down for them, and I saw them sharing it. You see, I came to earth with memories of living in Heaven. I remember Heavenly Father, and I remember Jesus Christ. I even knew that I had a Heavenly Mother before the missionaries told me. That feeling that you feel is one that comes from Heavenly Father, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost, and it fills every space in Heaven, along with every place on Earth that welcomes all three of Them. If you allow it, it can chase away all of the bad things in your life. Every time that you have a negative thought, think three positive ones, and evil will flee. Heavenly Father told me that.

• CoachLongBeach Carlsbad, CA
    Sept. 4, 2014 11:54 a.m.

Those who coach youth, even adults need to be role models. Sport coaches should be those who emphasize those things spoke of in this article. Wouldn't sport be so much better if all coaches thought this way, or close to it?

“I get to lead boys and teach them how to be men. Now I know what I was sent here for,” Jackson said. “I have a strong presence with some of the hardest young men, and I feel I was sent here to help those young men find their way in life and understand what the meaning of this life is.”

Then he backs up this statement by serving in his church and community. Great example for all coaches and future coaches alike.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Sept. 4, 2014 9:51 a.m.

@Lew Scannon. Like he said in the article some people move towards God at a sprint, some at a crawl. Some even face away from God for a time. But perhaps "Johnny Football" will one day settle down and remember some of the lessons that Bro Jackson taught him without even realizing it.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Sept. 4, 2014 9:37 a.m.

Let's not be so hasty in judging "Johnny Football". He is still very young. Miracles happen!

• Lew Scannon Provo, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 9:21 a.m.

Great story. Too bad his life lessons didn't sink in with Johnny Football. Oh well.

C.A. reader, I assume you mean the Houston Cougars? That would be cool, to have two of Jackson's schools playing for the national championship. :-)

• Crimen delSiglo sandy, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 9:18 a.m.

article really blindsided me. not what i expected to read

i don't think i have many talents, but one i believe is mine is to read an honest statement and believe honest and truthful words. thank for awakening me again

continuous conversion. i've read it from a man who lives it. i believe it but i'm not so good at practicing it. i know what i'm supposed to do, but i'm lazy: read the scriptures, pray and do and be where i am supposed to. thanks for telling me again

• Dante Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 9:09 a.m.

Wonderful conversion story. Note that Jackson felt welcomed and accepted in multiple congregations but was apparently not pressured or compelled to move forward toward baptism before he was ready to do so. The narrative describing Jackson's conversion is well done, but Jackson's words are far more moving. I hope none are dissuaded by those who see only football in the story. Jackson's life is about far more than football.

• Tutanikai Murray, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 9:07 a.m.

A lot of lifetime Latter-day Saints would do well to have his attitude about conversion. Let's hope this story gets widespread circulation.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    Sept. 4, 2014 9:04 a.m.

Just think what a great story this will be when the Cougars and the Aggies face off for the national championship! (Sorry. I just had to say that!)

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 9:03 a.m.

Wonderful story. This is pure selfishness on my part, but as his career develops, I'd like to see him one day coaching at one of our Utah schools.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 8:45 a.m.

God's interest in this earth tends to focus on football this time of year.

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 8:21 a.m.

Great story.... Will cheer for you Coach Jackson!

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 8:04 a.m.

Coach Jackson - that's an awesome story!

I've always like A&M, now I have another reason to like them even more.

Go Aggies