Response to Max Hall's arrest shows there are some things bigger than the rivalry

• palerider Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 2:12 a.m.

Just because I said he broke the law and deserves be behind bars, you guys didn't print my comment.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 10:42 a.m.

Hey, guys. I don't want to brag or anything, but my comment got mentioned in a news article. Awwww yeah.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 4, 2014 4:54 a.m.

@Sports Are Great

What Max said was not true. And to paint with that broad of a brush by you, even now, when we hopefully want to transcend this rivalry hatred is wallowing back into the gutter. I think that relative to the rant 5 years ago, that very little of Max said was true. Some in the media (radio) have almost admired Max for being willing to say how he felt. But how Max felt was centered around bitter lies he had convinced himself to be true. Those feelings can become a spiritual cancer to the soul. Haven't we all experienced this to whatever degree? I will admit myself that I know all to well what internal justification for negative thinking can do. It's not pretty.

Look, there are fans on both sides who will choose a path of contention no matter what. But that doesn't make either one of those fan bases all together classless. I will say that the rivalry does bring out the worst in many of us, just as drugs can bring out the worst in others. We all need recovery, or better yet the embracing of the atonement.

• palerider Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 3:22 a.m.

Sorry for Max Hall's troubles. A lot of people are right, he should get treatment. However, he broke the law and that treatment should be behind bars.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 12:12 a.m.

You lost your credibility too - you conveniently forgot to mention that Kyle Whittingham's wife was physically accosted post-game on the field there several years ago because she got caught between a BYU fan and UTE fan who had just stolen his phone (because he was taking pictures of Whittingham) - the tussle wasn't directed AT her.

And I have witnessed many inebriated people at RES (whether they brought beer or not it is somewhat irrelevant - they were already drunk) so your explanation of RES behavior doesn't jive with my experience

You don't have to like Hall - Just wish him to get the help he needs and let it go.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:45 p.m.

Sorry John, I saw the same event and really, Whittingham's wife was not "accosted." Someone bumped into her as people were running around the field. Please don't exaggerate. I've seen boorish behavior at BYU games but it's always been at refs. I'm not saying that's right, but I've been to 3 BYU-Utah games at LES and I've never seen anything but classy behavior. If I saw a BYU fan belittling a Utah fan I would call him out. I sure hope U of U fans would do the same. Many possibly do, but I see some here on this site admit that they are embarrassed by comments and behavior directed at certain people walking to or attending RES. By the way, thanks to so many classy statements by so many UofU fans. Sometimes these boards skew our perception of who we are. Fortunately many of my best friends/neigbors are great people and UofU fans.

• East Coast Ute Storrs, CT
    Sept. 3, 2014 8:26 p.m.

I've had several drug addicted family members. Some have been in recovery for years, while others have not, and the lives of those around them continue to be wrongly affected, and don't know that my relationship with some can ever be repaired. I can't say I feel sorry for Max. The ones I feel sorry for are his family that have had to suffer consequences of his actions and deserve better. For that reason alone I hope he can get his act together and overcome his issues.

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 6:37 p.m.

@Chris B

Based on what I have observed on these message boards, your experience at LES is most likely a response that you have brought on yourself. The constant controversial and demeaning comments, as well as putting down of all things Mormon, are intended to inflame and insight a reaction. If your actions are the same at the stadium, you are most likely getting the exact response you were soliciting. I am assuming that you don't feel the same vitriol towards other teams, communities, faiths, etc. that you do toward BYU, so you aren't soliciting an inflamed response. That most likely explains why you feel that the fans at BYU are worse than all others.

I'm sure if you approached the game as a good natured competition between a group of young men who are learning and developing skills that most will never use again in their future careers, then you might just find that an afternoon of football at LES can actually be an enjoyable experience, even for a visitor (provided you can look past the annoying rendition of "Popcorn Popping").

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 5:19 p.m.

@ Sports Are Great

Max's rant was a reflection of himself, not Utah's fan base/organization. How each individual repsonded to Max being arrested is a reflection of them, not on Max. Overall, I've been pretty impressed by the sympathetic response from Utah's fans.

• CaseyCarlyle gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 3, 2014 4:54 p.m.

That Ute heart transplant patient a few months ago was very touching and showed the human side of this rivalry. This story has a similar effect. There are some Ute fans who are taking shots at Max because of his "hate rant" but most seem to be staying very positive. Good luck to Max, a lot of people are rooting for you!

• evansrichdm west jordan , UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 4:07 p.m.

For any Utah fan still upset by something said over four years ago take a line from Frozen and let it go.

• Ghost Writer GILBERT, AZ
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:34 p.m.

When this story broke with Max's "mug shot" wearing the BYU shirt, I cringed in anticipation of a title wave of Ute-mockery aimed at Max and BYU -- I must admit, however, I've been pleasantly surprised at the civility and maturity of the comments from Utah fans. I hope BYU fans would react the same way. I guess most of us actually do realize that there are things more important in life than sports and rivalry.

To those who are saying that BYU fans behave worse than other fans -- please. Go to the student section of any school during a rivalry game and just watch how rivalry, immaturity, and probably alcohol create an obnoxious circus.

• JapanCougar Apo, AP
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:22 p.m.

Let's all just agree that football is a passionate sport which sometimes brings out the worst in people. I've been there myself and I'm not proud of it, and I've matured. I have lots of friends who went to the U including several family members. They are great people and great friends, but it drives me nuts to watch them cheer for Utah when they score on BYU. Or when they gloat about it after the game. I'm sure my behavior does the same for them. That doesn't make them bad or classless people, it just proves that we are passionate about football.

One thing I know, we won't regret being more kind and more civil to each other, but we might regret being classless.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:16 p.m.

It looks like the good will of yesterday lasted all of 18 hours. Oh well....

• truth in all its forms henderson, NV
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:14 p.m.

I really feel for his family. I hope he can get the help that he needs.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:06 p.m.

Chris B:

In the last 10 years I've never seen it. But then again, I wasn't sitting by you.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:04 p.m.

"one thing he's always been is honest."

I suspect the good people at BestBuy and Wal-Mart would disagree.

• Trevvor Sandy, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 2:42 p.m.

johnny, the truth hurts sometimes. Max has some issues to deal with, but one thing he's always been is honest. Hopefully he can be honest with himself and deal with his problems. His honesty is confirmed by looking at the comments from the bulk of ute "fans" who claimed they weren't what he said they were to begin with. For many, he hit the nail on the head. Instead of saying "all" in his original comments he should have just used "the great majority" or "almost all" and then he would have been more accurate.

No ute fan can claim the moral high ground on this one.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 2:33 p.m.

"What I think is LOL is the ute "fans" who continue to prove Max right. You don't want to be considered completely classless - don't be completely classless. Simple as that."

sports and eight:

In many ways this is analagous to a road rage incident, where the driver of one car, full of his friends, reacts to a percieved slight and communicates his rage with words and gestures as he swerves ahead, only to break down miles ahead and is in need of assistance.
    The 99.9% of Utah fans who did not pour beer on Hall's family (allegedly) are like the motorists run off the road by Hall's classless rant and the BYU fans who supported Hall are like his passengers.

Now, naturally, some of the Ute fans will not bother to offer sympathy or assistance to those who are now stuck, saying "karma" as they pass by. Yet other Ute fans sympathize and even offer help.

Don't you, as Hall's passengers, realize the irony and utter hypocrisy of castigating the former while begrudgingly acknowledging the latter?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 2:33 p.m.

JohnSLC - You've lost all credibility if you're trying to convince anyone that alcohol has never been inside RES on game day. Even I can admit that! Whether beer was poured on Max's family I have no idea, but anyone who wants to believe that alcohol has never gone undetected through RES must have had their eyes closed for 4 hours straight on game days!

Sept. 3, 2014 2:19 p.m.

Getting caught up in drugs and the behavior that goes with it is one of those things that is so awful you don't wish it upon anyone because its effects are never confined to just the person doing drugs, it affects family, friends and often some random strangers.

Best wishes Max Hall for your recovery.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 2:19 p.m.

"I really doubt you will see beer being poured on visitors . . ."

You've lost your credibility. You've never seen that at RES because the U doesn't sell beer there and thoroughly screens fans for such as they enter. Instead, you apparently took Max Hall's word for it, which, under the circumstances, seems ill-advised.

I, too, have seen boorish fan behavior at LES, including repeated insults and thrown objects. I watched from the stands as Kyle Whittingham's wife was physically accosted post-game on the field there several years ago. Neither you nor any other Y fan can claim the moral high ground on fan behavior.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 2:16 p.m.

• JonA Ogden, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 2:13 p.m.

By the way I'm quite certain both fan bases are pretty bad compared to schools outside the state. For some reason in this state a lot of fans treat opposing fans very poorly. I see this all the time at Utah Jazz games. I once went to a Jazz game in Phoenix and was treated quite well despite my loud, borderline obnoxious cheering for the Jazz. That same behavior is met with very poor treatment at ESA. Not to mention Jazz fans (which are comprised mostly of BYU and Utah fans also) are very disrespectful to several ex-Jazz players, which is really uncalled for.

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Sept. 3, 2014 2:13 p.m.

You are proving what Max said is true. Kicking a man while he is down is the epitome of classless.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 2:01 p.m.

Well here's one BYU fan who wouldn't be gloating if this were Alex Smith or Eric Weddle. I think the point of the article is that most fans on either side recognize that football, rivalries, and trash-talking take a backseat to a person's life and some of the pain that comes with it. It's pretty presumptuous of you to think BYU fans would respond negatively if the tables were turned. Like others have said, you'll always have your classless "bad apples" on either side, but I think most fans in this rivalry have more perspective than that.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:52 p.m.

@Chris B

I've been to a lot of other stadiums as well and to say that BYU fans exhibit the worst really destroys your credibility. I'm sorry you feel that way but I really doubt you will see beer being poured on visitors or obscenities being shouted. I'm not saying there's not a minority out there who can't control themselves, but I know the sections I've sat in at LES would never even allow that of another fan. They'd be removed by their own. I certainly would never allow it from a fellow BYU fan.

And it certainly doesn't justify hatred or vilification of all fans of a team when some misbehave. On any side of the fence.

For my part, I enjoy a game a lot more when I chat up visiting fans and learn a little about their team and appreciate their athletes as well as my own. They're just student athletes, after all, and working hard to play while going to school - no small feat. Let's learn to value each other and look for the good. We'll enjoy sports (and other things) a lot more!!

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:51 p.m.

Max Hall's arrest has helped BYU fans come around to a notion most of the rest of us have had for a very long time -- drug abuse is better solved with treatment than jail.

• azwildcats tucson, AZ
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:51 p.m.

Sorry to hear about Max Hall. Drug addiction can be devastating to the user and those close to him. It is nice to see classy fans on both sides come together in support of an individual. I have been in Tucson for 25 years and still follow the Aggies, Cougars and Utes. Watching and reading the childish PAC12 arguments have almost made me anti Utes. However, having said that, my daughter traveled to Utah last winter to visit relatives and was able to attend the Arizona v Utah basketball game (very competitive before the tournament). She had on her Wildcat red and cheered loudly. I am happy to report that the Utah fans treated her well. She really enjoyed it. I am glad we can recognize the difference between a game and real life. Without an opponent on the court or field, there would be no game. We should all treat each other with respect.

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:41 p.m.

lol @ all the byu fans clamoring for peace and understanding, as if this was alex smith or eric weddle they wouldn't be gloating!!! max or cougar fans get no pass from me. you wanna run your mouth about how classless other people are, you better make sure you're a class act yourself!!

• JonA Ogden, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:29 p.m.

Well said by RepresentBlue, all fan bases have their bad apples. Sometimes BYU fans refuse to believe this about their own, but it is true. I cheer for Utah and I've seen BYU fans treated poorly at RES. But I've also seen mixed-fan couples there doing fine and opposite fans shaking hands and chatting. Some classy fans and some classless fans. The same is going on now with comments on the Hall situation. Many very classy, take-the-high-road Ute fans pulling for Max, while others revel in it. I personally wish him the best in his personal life, but disliked him a lot on the field. You have to separate the two!

• Red Corvette St. George, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:16 p.m.

The bigger they are the harder they fall.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:09 p.m.

I really wish someone would commission an independent study of what actually goes on during a football game at LES and RES, particularly when BYU and Utah are playing. It would be refreshing to get a view other than one skewed by the tinted glasses that fans seem to wear.

As for Max, I had a son that was lucky enough to get help with his addiction. Despite the drugs, he was level-headed enough to realize he was on the verge of destruction and that it was time to get help. It cost a lot of heartache and tears as well as a significant sum of money to get him the help he needed, and in the end it was up to him to choose what direction he wanted his life to take. Luckily, although he is still dealing with alcohol and tobacco issues, he has been free from drugs for several years now - and is gainfully employed.

Truly do wish the same good fortune for Max.

• Bobster Boise, ID
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:09 p.m.

Max's misfortune has put the rivalry in perspective. I hope and pray he gets the help he needs to put this behind him. In a season where, unfortunately, the Utes and Cougars do not face each other, Go Utes! Go Cougars! (And especially the Cougars).

• SigmaBlue Centerville, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:05 p.m.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Max Hall, we are all fellow children of God and Max and his family need our prayers and support now more than ever. This will not only be a defining moment for Max, but for all of us. The time is past for those things that divide us and we need to stand united as fellow human beings. How can we expect to be forgiven of our own sins if we don't forgive others with all our hearts. We are all Max Hall.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:03 p.m.

Are we going to have as many of these "Max Hall" articles as we do the "Jake Heaps" articles because at some point this is going to be overkill. Wait a minute. We've reached that point already.

Chris B

"I've been to byu stadium and experienced the worst fan behavior I've seen in my life, and I've been to half a dozen NFL stadiums and over 15 college football stadiums."

So have I and the two worst fan behavior I've been to is in Tucson, AZ ('university' of Arizona) and Salt Lake City ('university' of Utah).

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 12:38 p.m.

@Ted H.
    Eh, I'm part of a Ute fan group on facebook and the comments there were around 2/3 kind, 1/6 completely unkind and 1/6 had both a kind remark and cheap shot.

The Tribune on the other hand...yeah I'm not sorting through that mess.

• Alpine alum Alpine, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 12:34 p.m.

Max, most importantly for yourself, but also for your family, friends, neighbors, community,and football fans everywhere - get help. This not likely something you can do on your own. Good luck overcoming those demons.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 12:25 p.m.

This whole situation has caused me to reflect on my own behavior as a BYU fan. I will admit that I have, on more than one occasion, chuckled when a current or former Ute player was caught doing something illegal, and I am ashamed of that now. A stupid sports rivalry should never cause one human being to find satisfaction or amusement from the personal struggles of another human being. I know this is something the Savior would NEVER do or condone, and I hope this will be an opportunity for people, regardless of fan affiliation, to remember to show more class as many have done in this situation. Maybe that would be something positive that could come out of this sad situation. My prayers are with Max Hall and his family.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 12:09 p.m.

@Ted, as Utah fan I have to agree with you. Its been refreshing to see kindness on these boards for a change. Its likewise pretty sickening to read what is being said of him in other forums.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:59 a.m.

The comments that actually make it through the Deseret News censors have indeed been very kind. I certainly don't mean to minimize how good this is - but lets also not have our head in the sand and pretend that is representative of all comments being made.

If one read just the comments allowed by the Deseret News in these Max Hall stories one would think world peace has been solved and Max was 100% wrong in his comments. But if one read through the comments on the SL Tribune or facebook, the opposite would seem to be true.