Ex-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in shoplifting, drug case

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Sept. 5, 2014 2:11 p.m.

Best Wishes in pulling it together Max. The people you love, and who love you want to see you succeed.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Sept. 5, 2014 2:08 p.m.

So why is it BYU fans - most of whom are LDS -
    are all singing the praises of Max Hall and wishing him the best to get the help he needs...

Will turn right around and demand that ALL drug users must go to jail, and be persecuted to the full extend of the law?

Double Standard hypocrasy?

And what did Jesus say about hypocrites?

Try showing and showering that same sort of sympathy and courtesy to OTHERS who may have a drug problem...

• mormonmama West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2014 10:12 a.m.

This is heartbreaking. I'm no Max Hall fan, but here's another Ute fan wishing him the best.

• Keith Of Utah Roy, UT
    Sept. 4, 2014 3:24 p.m.

I have been a Max Hall fan, and I continue to be a Max Hall Fan!!! He knows, and he will DO THE RIGHT THING!!! Get help for the drugs, and take care of this behavior. I feel bad anytime this sort of thing happens no matter who it is. Multiple mistakes make it worse, Make the positive step and GET HELP!!! We should all be Max Hall Fans now and in his future.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Sept. 3, 2014 6:36 p.m.

As a thorough Ute fan, I see the irony here but don't rejoice in it. I hope this young man rises to the challenge and re-makes his life. I'm sorry for his family and wish them well.

• kolob1 sandy, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 6:26 p.m.

Addiction is not a crime it is a sickness, a disease. Would that all those who read this comment have the same compassion for all the other addicts in our society that pack our penal institutions. "I've never done this before " is the first thing an addict will claim. Hall's crime is thievery, not addiction.

• PhoenixAZ phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:10 p.m.

If he could pay for the stuff after his arrest (or before since he didn't want to get arrested) why couldn't he just pay for them in the first place. I'll never understand stealing. It never makes sense to me.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:06 p.m.

Let me try to explain what everbody here except maybe you don't understand...it's called mental illness. If you don't understand Max's thought processes, just be grateful...but it doesn't give you license to judge. Just stop it. STOP IT.

You think you know, but you obviously don't know.

• southmtnman Provo, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 12:49 p.m.

I don't understand.

"I'm really sorry, I'll pay for the stuff."

If he had the money to pay for it in the first place, why steal it?

"If I get arrested, I'll get fired. I've never done this before,"

Sounds like he was sorry he was such a newbie thief and got caught. Can his players really respect him after this? I don't think they have a choice but to fire him.

"A lot of the guys really rely on the drugs to get through a long season, and then when the season ends or especially when your career ends, there's nobody really there to help you deal with that issue anymore".

What? We have a subculture of drugged up athletes? What about family, friends and Church leaders? Where are they?

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 3, 2014 12:43 p.m.

While not a BYU graduate, I've come to applaud its honor code. If you never try the stuff, you'll never get addicted. I was addicted to coffee, believe it or not, and it was pretty hard to shake a 20 cup per day habit. So if the honor code helps BYU students through these temptations, it is a good thing. I saw fellow students at UW during the 60s become addicted to "uppers" and "downers" and having difficulties with LSD. Now its cocaine, heroin, and designer drugs like crystal meth. Millions of our kids are trying those things, as kids do, and pow! They're goners. I went to a funeral a couple of years ago for a kid I watched grow up. He was from a good LDS family, but tried it and was lost.

I hope Max Hall can be one of the 5% who recover from these addictions. I hope his home ward and family can help him through this.

• Grover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 12:03 p.m.

Several comments along the way here about it being too bad he is wearing a BYU t-shirt in his mug shot....not at all. It needs to be taken as a reminder that addiction cuts across all ethnic, economic and religious groups. No one is immune. As soon as we start to believe that "our" group is immune, watch out for the addicted and the larcenous to take advantage of our gullibility. Fraudsters are out there in business suits AND BYU t-shirts.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:20 a.m.

I hope and wish the Hall family the best under very tough circumstances...as a Cougar fan I tip my hat to a lot of classy and supportive Ute fans!

Sept. 3, 2014 11:12 a.m.

I believe a big part of Max's problem is he spent his entire life planning to be a professional football player. His parents, his coaches, his friends - all no doubt encouraged him in that belief. When he discovered he wasn't good enough, he lost his self worth and had no clue what to do with his life.

Parents and coaches, teach your children that the chances of them becoming a professional athlete (no matter how good they are) are remote at best. Everyone should have a Plan B. No child should grow up with his belief as to his worth as a person tied up in how well he can throw a football.

• Fyodor Mikhailovich Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:00 a.m.

I am a professor at the U. of U. and did not appreciate Max Hall's comments about us-- I agree that this is the time to stop the Utah-BYU trash talk and empathize with Max and his family. It is true we do not have all the facts, but the scourge of drugs is upon us and Max has succumbed, it seems. I hope he gets the help he needs and that he can overcome this whole discouraging time of his life. Our thoughts and best wishes are with him.

• RobdudeUtes SLC, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 10:59 a.m.

Even in the rivalry game if someone is injured, we go silent and applaud when they are ok, drug addiction kills far more dads, sons, and husbands than any sports injury by a long shot..drugs leave a wake of pure destruction. this man has a wife an kids.... I hope the best for him an his family.. GO UTES!!!!

△ ▽

• regis Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 10:35 a.m.

Here's another Ute fan hoping Max can get past this, learn from the experience, and be a better man as a result.

• K&RGUY San Francisco, CA
    Sept. 3, 2014 10:34 a.m.

Nice move putting on the BYU shirt for a multi-store shoplifting spree. The NFL and CFL team shirts must have been dirty.

• Unleashed St. Paul, MN
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:59 a.m.

Never a big fan of Hall even when he was signed by my hometown Cardinals, and I love to hate the Y. But I hate more seeing this development and knowing the pain it is causing him and his family. I don't wish it on anyone. In the scheme of things, the offenses he's accused of are not catastrophic and he'll get past them. Here's one Cougar hater who's pulling for Hall.

• Hailstorm is a coming Riverdale, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:49 a.m.

" Time has a way of exposing you or promoting you "

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:48 a.m.

Please keep in mind your sympathy and empathy for Max Hall the next time you feel like stating that a young black man deserves to be shot because he shoplifted and/or deserves to be shot or in jail for many years because he used drugs.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:33 a.m.

UCLA grad and Ute fan wishing Max and his family the very best. Please take advantage of the resources available to get past your drug dependence. Good Luck Max.

• John Locke Ivins, , UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:31 a.m.

Parents, Grandparents, churches and schools, all need to explain the consequences of drugs and the impact on society and the family. BYU probably has the highest standards of any school in the nation with regards to their students and student/athletes. Mandatory classes for freshmen on the complete impact of drugs on the person, family, friends and society, should be in all schools and colleges. The LDS Church should have more firesides for youth, with experts and former addicts telling their stories; Max could help with this and being honor back to himself and his family. Nancy Reagan was ridiculed, but right: Kids must learn to, "Just say, No!," to drugs.

Feel sorry for Max's family and hope his family and friends can forgive him and gather around and give him their full support to complete rehabilitation.

From a red blooded Ute Fan

• I am Cosmo SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:22 a.m.

You need to set me right, he was arrested in Gilbert, Arizona why would the State of Utah have anything to do with the case. Please fill me in, I am confused.

• One opinion west jordan, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:18 a.m.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call to change his life and be the best person he can be. Experience has taught me that when a person is caught stealing, it isn't the first time they've done it - just the first time they were caught. Being caught give a person an opportunity to shape up and hopefully that is what he does. Life goes by way to quickly to do things that bring sadness into our lives and the lives of others.

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 8:59 a.m.

Very Classy Comments by Utah Fans. I hope he gets some feedback about their comments and he realizes just who the vast majority of Utah Fans really are. Most importantly I hope he gets this thing resolved not only for him but especially for his family!

• omni scent taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 8:58 a.m.

The article mentions that the drug charge is usually a felony. Now, who thinks that is a good idea? Who thinks Max would be better off behind bars?
    I hope Max gets the help that he needs, but not in a prison. I hope this raises questions in people's minds about how we treat addictions. People need help, not prison.
    (From a Ute fan)

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 8:48 a.m.

Can I be a contrarian here please?
    I too wish him well, but hope he gets punished to the fullest extent of the law.
    Drugs, stolen merchandise,...c'mon.
    Just because he went to BYU gets him exactly ZERO favorable treatment.

• Mtracy69 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 8:28 a.m.

The numerous readers speaking up on Max Hall's behalf are correct, now is not the time to point fingers or kick the man when he is down. As I read these comments though I can't help but ask myself whether or not all of us are drawing the correct lessons from all of this. In my opinion we are more than willing to give Max Hall the benefit of the doubt because he is one of our own. I can't help but wonder though, if Max Hall were a young black man caught doing the same thing, just interested would any of us be in helping him seek help? How many lives do we destroy every single day when young men not from our communities are locked up without mercy for non violent drug offenses?

Turning the other cheek requires that we not only give young men from our own community a second chance, it also requires that we give young men from other communities a second chance as well. In my mind the story of Max Hall is really a story of unequal justice in the United States.

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    Sept. 3, 2014 7:32 a.m.

This is a tough story. You know something is amiss in his life when his first concern about being arrested is for his job, not for his wife and children. It is also strange that he was only shoplifting small, almost useless items. (What was he going to do with cell phone cases and chargers?) It is like there was just some compulsion to do that or something. Probably the effects from the drug. Weird.

I think the interviewed former linebacker, Stevenson, is correct in this. I hope the best for Hall and for his devastated family.

• BigPants Holladay, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 3:11 a.m.

Max I wish you the best. Get cleaned up and soon you will be able help young people with your experience. This is another Ute fan who takes no joy in your current hard times. You can do this. Get better soon. Godspeed Max Hall.

• EnglishAlan Rugeley, Staffs
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:18 a.m.

My prayers and best wishes go to Max Hall and his family.

I had a brother-in-law that was introduced to drugs at age fourteen. For thirty years we endured the pain of watching him self-destructing. Four years ago he kicked the habit, and we were thrilled. Unfortunately, at some time in the past he had shared needles, and contracted HIV. Last year we lost him, at the age of 47, to pneumonia, that he had no ability to fight.

If anyone thinks that the Max Hall story is funny, may I suggest that they sit down with families like ours, who have lost loved ones to drugs. This man needs help, not ridicule.

• USNGary San Diego, CA
    Sept. 2, 2014 11:42 p.m.

It is nice to see a lot of civility here today. I was in shock when I first saw this on twitter today. Shocking. Good luck Max!

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    Sept. 2, 2014 11:37 p.m.

Unfortunately, the more you talk about how good you are the more people will take joy in your fall.

I hope Max will get professional medical help and save his family.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 11:06 p.m.

Sad story. Best of luck to you and your family Max. I truly hope you can beat this.

• oddman ,
    Sept. 2, 2014 11:01 p.m.

In general, society hails the hero, especially prelevalant in sports. From young boys through high school and into college. Young men get a taste of the glory and develop a willingness to do anything to stay on the field and realize a dream we have helped perpetuate. Easy to get meds sometimes even pushed into these young gladiators, just to keep them in the game. I suspect there are untold thousands who have become dependent on pain killers who eventually turn to the easier to get street drugs to keep life from getting too far out of control. We are all vulnerable and I dearly hope this turns this young man around for good. Thanks for the memories.

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:44 p.m.

I'm betting Max can turn 100% of his ultra competitive temperament toward beating this terrible situation he finds himself in.

My prayers are with Max and his family. Good luck Max, we're all in your corner.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:36 p.m.

It's good to see so many feel sadness for what is Max Hall's life at this point. The encouragement to overcome has been a consistent theme as well. I hope we all can remember that approach for anyone who uses drugs and has struggles of all kinds. We are all sinners. All drug users have a story relative to what brought them to that dangerous lifestyle (football pain, abuse, depression ect...). We are accountable for our decisions but anyone who thinks they are worthy to condemn another is committing a great sin. Making a personal judgement is not the same as being judgmental. We are expected to choose/judge our environments, our friends, our lifestyle ect.... But if we become judgmental to where we judge/condemn those in the other lifestyle or environment then that is where we are not worthy to do so.

• LifeLibertyHappiness Draper, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:35 p.m.

Good luck rehabbing. Wish you nothing but the best for you and your family. Prayers are with you.

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:05 p.m.

Say your prayers for him. We have a family member who suffers from prescription drug addiction. It's an ugly thing, way more complex than it seems. Those of you harrumphing Wilber be touched by this through yourself, a family member or a friend. It's frustrating and very sad. Read the lds addiction recovery manual if you want some good lessons on the atonement

• PacUtes Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:56 p.m.

Addiction is bad. No matter what kind.
    Hope he and his family make it through this ordeal.

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:54 p.m.

Nice comments here-if you read the Trib, they are having a field-day with this! Whatever the reason, whether it's filtering or just people who are being kind, I appreciate the comments.

Sept. 2, 2014 9:50 p.m.

Excellent post, KimmyP.

• LoveTheKittens Central, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:36 p.m.

You are either betraying your youth or you have selective amnesia, there is no good natured rivalry with byu in this state. USU, ahh tequila days, before the y game and there is no explaination about the Utes.

Proverbs 16:18 describe Max Hall perfectly. Now that he has shown us his true character let's see how he handles his future. I wish his family.

• CAPT Tay Littleton, CO
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:27 p.m.

Max another Ute fan here, hoping the best for you and your family!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:10 p.m.

In the picture I see a man that will reach back to the many that will reach out to him. In the end I see him teaching and inspiring others. The best to him and his loved ones.

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 8:57 p.m.

Say it ain't so, Max! I feel his family's pain and wish them the best. Recovery is never a sure or easy road. I hope Max has the fortitude and support to successfully kick his dependency.

• FromSunnyStGeorge ST GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 8:16 p.m.

I remember going to a fireside in South Jordan at our Stake Center with Max & Austin Collie and their wives (each had only one... gotta love the English language! :) They were so positive and full of hope for the future. I remember thinking what a great future these two beautiful young talented couples had and what good they could do. I still feel that is the case. You think the BYU Utah game was his toughest challenge? Apparently not. This drug addiction will be his greatest challenge. Praying he and his family is up to it because football is just that fun thing - but it is still just a game. This is no game. This is real life. And sometimes life just plain sucks. it is the biggest battle he will ever fight. So sad he is where he is in his life. But I am actually glad he was caught as it is often the only way that "rock bottom" can be reached and help can begin.

• joy Logan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 8:01 p.m.

Yes, this may just help him make a turn around but darn it he was
    coaching my grandson football team. What a great example he is for the boys
    and what a let down. Why was he no longer an assistant coach for BYU and
    why was he cut from his last team. Makes ya wonder how long this has been an issue for this guy.

• DraperUteFan Draper, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 7:54 p.m.

Jack of trades, I'm sure the D News filters out some of the negative comments and thank goodness most of what we are seeing is positive...and it is genuine. Shouldn't there be a lesson in that?

it is so easy to paint with the broad brush "all Ute fans" or conversely when Ute fans do the same when they say "all Cougar fans."

Problem is, it isn't reality. Most Cougar fans I know are highly decent and respectful people. Same with most of my Ute friends. There are always exceptions and I'm embarrassed for either school when a stupid football game brings out the worst in people. Most of us on these boards are friends with people on both sides of the rivalry and have respectful and even playful banter about it.

Read the comments and just take them for what they are. Other Cougar fans have been complimentary and very classy in seeing an effort to put aside the rivalry in this situation.

Bravo to all the great posters taking the high road on this topic!

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Sept. 2, 2014 7:51 p.m.

I have always been a huge Max Hall fan... I like his enthusiasm for the game, his focus and his ability to overcome the odds... I use to travel a lot and as a result I never purchased the NFL TV package, but I can remember clearly following the Cardinal games that he started as an undrafted QB on my laptop (play by play) from my hotel room... I don't feel betrayed by this... Like everyone else, I just feel sad for him... I pray that his family will rally around him and help him through this very tough time in his life...

We have all had dragons that we have had to face off with at some point in our lives... I have always felt that the measure of a man is not whether he gets knocked down but whether he has the constitution to get back up again. Max is a fighter and he will beat this and he will achieve success in his life. He did it on the football field even though he didn't have the ideal body and skill set and he will do it in dealing with this issue.

• Rockyrd Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 2, 2014 7:44 p.m.

Prayers for Max and family.

• LGP Misoula, MT
    Sept. 2, 2014 7:42 p.m.

First I hope Max Hall can overcome this addiction. Real life means so much more than football. I think it is fair to point out that BYU's program has problems just like any other. It is no disrespect to Max to ask BYU fans to reflect on this point. We are all fallible.

• Zooberific Sandy, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 7:31 p.m.

Wow, I expected to get on here and read a lot of terrible things but I'm surprised and glad to see that the majority of people are taking the high road. I am ashamed at myself for assuming the worst. Bravo Ute fans. Hope he can get his life straightened out. (And for the record, Max Hall lost a lot of respect from a lot of BYU fans including myself when he made those comments years ago)

• BYU in Tucson Tucson, AZ
    Sept. 2, 2014 7:30 p.m.

Did not want to tell my wife the news, she is non LDS but a big BYU fan.
    Bronco owes is career to Max and his quarterback play for those three years
    and 30 wins. He beat Utah twice. Hope Max can get some help, football is a tough
    life when you almost make it. Hope he can get some help, the stealing part is weird.
    Thin I'll go on Youtube and watch some Max highlights and those Hitler videos.
    He was a tough feisty player. Good Luck.

• KimmyP Granstville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 7:30 p.m.

While the two situations aren't even in close relation, I don't remember the high road being taken by so many when the rival' team's quarterback was cited for underage drinking. Ironic, now that those accused of being classless by the very one, have chosen to display some, at a time when he badly needs it..

• Jack of trades SLC, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 7:21 p.m.

Before we all get too excited about how all the comments are so positive let us remember that the D- News is filtering out all the negative ones. Trust me. I know some Ute fans who are already designing a new t-shirt slogan for this. Haters are still there. We are only seeing the select few comments that are getting approved.

• JoeBA Pleasant Grove, ut
    Sept. 2, 2014 7:21 p.m.

It's not his "arrogant attitude" that got him here--it's a former painkiller addiction from accidents unrelated to football that have crept back into his life. Addictions are crazy hard to get over, even years later. Don't make personal judgments without knowing some history.

• treecaps22 Charlotte, North Carolina
    Sept. 2, 2014 7:14 p.m.

I've got to say, I'm genuinely warmed by the well wished of Ute Fans here. I'm glad to see this strategic story transcending a rivalry and seeing the worth of a human soul. Well done.

• Coolio SLC, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 7:04 p.m.

Max Hall was finally wrong.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Sept. 2, 2014 7:02 p.m.

"My opinion about Max Hall hasn't changed. Only his future behavior could do that."

Amen, and amen.

This is pretty much in character for Mr. Hall.

• G-Day-M8 Where is Waldo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 6:43 p.m.

Just sitting here in my own thoughts and perceptions, reflecting on the past several years of a rivalry that used to be heated but fun and entertaining under the leadership of two of the greatest football coaches in Utah/BYU history, namely, Ron McBride and LaVell Edwards.

Then came Urban Meyer, a good coach that helped Utah turn a corner, and Max Hall a real leader and good player but in the process, both of them, in their own way, turned the rivalry into a bitter and hate fueled war.

Ron, LaVell, Urban and Max have all moved on. Utah and BYU are headed in significantly different paths. The Rivalry has taken a 2 year sabbatical and contrary to my feelings two hours ago, it's a good thing.

All around classy comments here today, Thanks!

My dad was a man of great one liners and the one most poignant to me tonight is; "People are more important than things". From me, no more hard feelings for Urban Meyer and best wishes to Max Hall and his family.

Let's all make the rivalry fun again with chips and medium salsa.

Sept. 2, 2014 6:29 p.m.

I hope he gets his life turned around. Didn't like him or his comments as a player but wouldn't wish this on anyone. Good luck Max, I hope you get through this ordeal and get your life back on track.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 2, 2014 6:26 p.m.

So Y and U fans can agree on something. We all hate the effects of drug addiction.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 2, 2014 6:22 p.m.

Glad to see all the classy comments by Ute fans here for Max. This isn't a sports story - it's a human story. When you see any of these young men in street clothes it's hard to remember our partisan feelings. His face seems so sad and I can only imagine the personal pain this young man has endured. Now that it's out in the open, I hope we call can extend a hand of friendship and forgiveness and help him make the climb back.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 6:14 p.m.

We have a lot of fun on these boards but not today.

Good luck to Max and his family. I hope that he gets the help that he needs.

• ArgoFY Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2014 6:01 p.m.

Coming from a big Utah fan, I hope Max can overcome this low point in his life. I feel especially bad for his family. It would be great to see Max use his competitive spirit to rally and change his life around, and that his family will be strengthened overall.

• FromWA Olympia, WA
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:56 p.m.

Hope he pulls through. Glad to see when it matters, when it is about life, BYU and Utah fans can be on the same page. I don't know that this has anything to do with his situation and I don't mean to speculate about him personally, but as one who prescribes narcotic pain meds on a regular basis, I always worry about athletes getting hooked on those, and possibly moving on to other drugs.

This may be a blessing, as often it takes hitting rock bottom to be able to pull out of addiction. If this is his rock bottom, much better to hit it at 28 than at 45. He is young and can still turn things around. We are pulling for you Max.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:50 p.m.

• The Wraith Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:49 p.m.

I've studied how drugs like cocaine and those similar effect the brain. I know how powerful these addictions can be and how that can drive behavior. People get addicted and then find themselves doing things they though unimaginable in order to fuel that addiction. Even though I know how this works it never ceases to amaze me just how powerfully drugs like this can alter a human being. I sincerely hope that Mr. Hall can get into some effective rehab and overcome the addiction. I would hate to see him get any jail time for this; jail time is not rehab and helps no one. It doesn't help the addict and as a result doesn't help society. I also hope others see what drugs have done to him and choose not try them.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:41 p.m.

I am saddened a great deal by this but we all make mistakes. Max needs all the support he can get, I hope he can get the help he needs and get his life back on track.

Thoughts and prayers to him and his family

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:38 p.m.

Won't pile on here. Football is a lot of fun and our rivalry is heated and intense--but this is much too important for any Max hater to be getting jollies and feeling good about themselves base on the mistakes of a player they dislike. I've messed up a lot of times myself and so has everyone else. Never having been in the spotlight, most of us have never earned the scorn that this player received and our bad decisions probably went mostly unnoticed. He's a guy who made a poor decision. Big deal. Let's move on. I wish him all the best in getting his life straightened out. And it can be straightened out. Good luck to you, Max Hall. I also wish to thank my fellow Ute fans who showed real compassion and restraint here. Good on you.

• Taysom4Heisman Heber City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:36 p.m.

Thank you to all the ute fans for the classy comments. I can easily see how they would be tempted to point fingers at him, especially after what he said 5 years ago.

Thanks for having sympathy for him and also realizing that his actions don't say anything about BYU as a whole. Even though BYU holds themselves to a high standard, all of us make mistakes, some more serious than others.

I hope Max can turn his life around.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:34 p.m.

I feel terrible for his wife and kids. This would be incredibly tough to endure and they certainly don't deserve any of this pain.

• Koloss Hampton, VA
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:34 p.m.

You can tell by the mugshot something has gone horribly wrong in his life. He needs help and it seems all sports fans in Utah are pulling for him. Good luck, Max and go Utes!!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:30 p.m.

Lots of classy remarks from Utah fans. Life will always transcend football and rivalries and it's refreshing to see people come together when someone's life has gone astray in wishing them well and health and happiness. No one wants to see anyone suffer regardless what color you wear on Saturday. Thanks Ute fans for your class on this story.

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:29 p.m.

I just have to say how impressed I am with the majority of the comments from U fans here on this story. we all know of the past comments made by Max in the heat of the battle while playing for the Y. U fans could go anywhere with this but most realize that this is a person with struggles in his life that hopefully he can overcome . My hat goes off to Ute fans for showing their true class and concern !

• goosehuntr Tooele, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:18 p.m.

Not sure all the hurts this guy may have endured in the privacy of his heart, but I believe his core is good. He will beat this. I am sorry for him and his family. Putting all the school pride stuff aside. He is suffering, like all others who struggle with this do. This aint the time to be red or blue... its the time to support him and others who silently struggle. Appreciate the kindness on these posts. Thanks for elevating yourselves in this human tragedy.

Wish you all well in the 2nd week of football! Sorry about the AGGIES.. rooted for you.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:17 p.m.

These are hard drugs and this is as bad as it gets. Bret Farve was hooked on pain killers from an injury and that's bad enough but the BIG 'C' is the worst of the worst and Max obviously has hit rock bottom. No one is immune from bad stuff in life and it takes tremendous support and help and dig yourself out of addiction whatever it is.

• AZ Ute Scottsdale, AZ
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:14 p.m.

Very sad. Glad to see both sides of the rivalry put it aside and wish nothing but better days for Max and his family. Part of what fueled the rivalry in the first place was Max's competitive fire and great play. Hope he channels those strengths to defeat a much tougher foe.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:10 p.m.

speechless. I guess no one is immune from the dark side. Too bad for him and even worse for his wife.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:09 p.m.

I hope for the best for Hall, and I also hope the well-wishes we see today will also appear whenever an athlete for any other school gets into trouble.

It would be heartening if this isn't just another case of "since he's our guy, we offer condolences, but if its a guy from another school, it's due to standards inferior to ours".

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:01 p.m.

I'm impressed by the comments I've read, from both Coug and Ute fans. I'm not going to lie and say my first thought wasn't along the lines of karma. But the truth of the matter is it doesn't matter who the person is or how we feel about them in relation to our meaningless little sports bubble, when it comes to hard core drugs, it's no laughing matter. My simple hope is that the stealing had nothing to do with needing to fund a habit as would be the norm, I hope there isn't much of a habit at all. And hopefully this arrest occurred early enough that it will help steer Max in a better direction.
    All the best to Max Hall.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:55 p.m.

Thank you for all the classy comments from the classy Ute fans. After reading the article I fully expected to see comments from Ute fans making fun of Hall and BYU by association. But I was pleasantly surprised. All of the Ute comments (or at least those that made it through the DN review) were very classy and respectful comments. I hope he is able to get his life in order. It is a sad story. Prayers for his family too.

• DraperUteFan Draper, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:54 p.m.

Nothing need be said about Max Hall's past comments that hasn't already been said. It is unfortunate that his life has come to this.

What is instructive is that anyone, Ute or Cougar, who judges or miscasts the entire University, fan base, or players of the opposite school should examine themselves closely and ask if their blanket judgments are ever warranted or even morally justifiable. My experience says they never are.

Hopefully this man will get himself some serious help. No stones cast from this Ute fan...just a hope that both sets of fans will put aside the absurd one upsmanship that dominates sports comment boards.

• CBAX Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:54 p.m.

What have I just read?

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:50 p.m.

Wow, what a terrible thing for Max and his family. This is really sad. I am holding out hope that it's all some misunderstanding, but if not, will be pulling for a come-from-behind victory for him.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:49 p.m.

Classy comments from Ute and BYU fans. Nice to see that we can put the hype and rivalry stuff on hold when we see a sad tragedy happen to a fellow human being. This sort of thing can happen to anyone so it is a sobering thought for all of us to ponder. I hope Max can get the help he needs and overcome his challenges.

• AZguy Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:45 p.m.

Classy comment Drummond.

I hope Max Hall gets the help he needs.

I also hope that the Gilbert HS Tigers get support they need. Their head coach is on administrative leave and now this. Hopefully people will reach out to these young men and they can have fine examples in their lives that will inspire them to be the best that they can be.

Sept. 2, 2014 4:44 p.m.

I appreciate seeing all of the kind, understanding comments here. I hope the next time the DN prints an article on a undocumented worker who has a misdemeanor that the commenters here are just as easy on them.

If convicted, Max's future will be in the hands of the Utah Board of Pardons and Paroles. My only request is that they treat him the same as they treat everyone else. The Draper prison facility has a narcotics program he can get familiar with and AP&P have several resources he can rely on in the future. I just hope he makes the very best of his situation that he can. It is very easy to give up and so many prisoners do, every day. Good luck, Max.

• canco Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:42 p.m.

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:39 p.m.

It appears that many Ute fans are proving Max wrong after all. You classy comments are heart-warming. Drugs cross all borders and families. Good luck Max Hall! Cougs and Utes are cheering for you this time.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:38 p.m.

Comment was rejected and I have no idea why. Lets try again. This type of incident can happen at any program. Unfortunate, very unfortunate.

• Ignore Amos Jacksonville, USA, FL
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:35 p.m.

Glad to see all the comments have been in good taste, though I fear that won't last. Unfortunately getting caught may be just what he needs in order to get him help. Hard to believe how far the guy has fallen. He must be in a lot of misery right now. I'm hoping this turns out to be one of those life changing rock-bottom experiences for him. I pray he has the support he needs in all this.

• BumperDogg Madison, WI
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:24 p.m.

I am SO tempted to make a classless comment, but this is too shocking to be funny. Here's a Ute wishing the best for a former foe.

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:24 p.m.

Shocking story. I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it on sports radio this afternoon.

Very sad.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:19 p.m.

Man, that sucks.

Good luck, Max. Don't let the haters get you down. Not one of us, Cougar OR Utah fan is perfect. It would be wise for everyone to remember that.

All the best to you as you get your life straightened out. You can do it!

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:15 p.m.

Very, very sad situation, I hope he can get into rehab and get his life turned around. Substance abuse is a dark lonely road, no reason to pile on, it can happen to any of us.
    This has to be gut-wrenching for his family.

• mstar Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:12 p.m.

I usually like opportunities to have some fun at BYU's expense. Not this time. I too feel sad for Max. He had so much going for him. Addiction can hit anyone. I hope Max can get some help and get back on track with his like. Good luck Max. Another Ute pulling for you.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:08 p.m.

I, too, feel sorry for Max and his family. I hope people will reach out to him and support him as he comes back. Don't give up, Max! Work hard. We love you!

• cougs108 South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:04 p.m.

I hate to see anybody have to hit rock bottom. Sometimes that is the only way to get a true wake up call to get your life turned around. We hope this is your wake up call. We love you brother, hang in there!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:02 p.m.

As someone who has had a son go through addiction, I do not wish this on anyone. Good luck to Max and his family, I hope he gets well for himself and for his family's future.

• 32843 PROVO, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:58 p.m.

Seeing this made me very, very sad. What does one say? I guess we can only pray for him and ask that he, and his family, will recover from this. I hope people can set aside their initial desire to slam Max and, by association, BYU long enough to realize this story transcends petty school bias. If this story turns out to be accurate and not an unfortunate mistake in reporting, it would be my hope people will reflect on the phrase "There but for the grace of God go I". None of us are immune to being brought down by our circumstances. Some brought down harder than others.

This is all our opportunity to show a little human compassion and class.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:58 p.m.

Wow...this puts Scott Mitchell's presence on the Biggest Loser in a totally different light. So sad. Hope he figures things out.

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:57 p.m.

Drug addiction and all that comes with it is nothing to laugh at. Hope he gets the help he needs.

• truthsandwich The Bubble, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:56 p.m.

In all seriousness I wish this guy no ill will. He's made mistakes in the past and for both he and his family's sake, here's another Ute fan hoping he gets cleaned up and gets the help he needs.

Sept. 2, 2014 3:56 p.m.

When someone faces challenges such as this--it is easy to make light but Max is likely going through some tough times here. Good luck with the consequences ahead, Max--you gave all of us BYU football fans some great moments and we are pulling for you big time.

• UbU@TheU American Fork, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:55 p.m.

No doubt a sad story. So much history with Max and the Utes, but I hate to see this. I wish him nothing but the best and I hope he can get things straightened out.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:55 p.m.

The guy is obviously hurting. I hope he can find the help he needs.

• sdreader SAN DIEGO, CA
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:54 p.m.

Max Hall could be a very easy target for Ute fans as a result of this arrest. Thank you Henry Drummond for your classy comment. I hope to be as generous the next time a Utah player makes some bad choices. I agree with every word you wrote.

• Tennor Orem, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:53 p.m.

Get real help, Max. Addiction is a terrible thing, and this is your rock bottom. It's only up from here.

Sept. 2, 2014 3:52 p.m.

It's nice to see some nice classy comments on this type of article.
    People make mistakes and sometimes life just gets the better of you. I hope Max can find his way back and work through the issues he's struggling with.
    All I know is through God's love we can overcome the weaknesses and trials in our lives and I pray Max Hall and his family will rely on that love while they fight through this trial.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:51 p.m.

@Henry Drummond

"Time to drop the usual BYU v Utah trash talk and think about this man's family. "

I agree. Let's all say a prayer and hope that Max can get some help and hope for the best for himself and his family.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:49 p.m.

This is really tragic. I hope this can get resolved in a way that is fair, just and helpful for Max and his family. If he needs to be in rehab, I hope he gets it.

Sept. 2, 2014 3:47 p.m.

I would guess that Max Hall’s arrogant attitude got him to this place. For as much I as disliked his lies, rants and insults against the Utes, I will him the best. I hope he can straighten is life out and being a humble servant of the Lord. I wish the best of luck to him and his family and a complete recovery.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:46 p.m.

I hate seeing this from anyone. Though he is on the most hated list for my Utes, I never want to see anyone cut their potential in life by using drugs. I own a meth cleanup company and see what drugs do to decent people.

Hopefully he can get some help.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:43 p.m.

Hate to see this kind of turn in anyone's life.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:43 p.m.

Not cool. Sad to see him hit this low. On the other hand, these are still allegations. Not convicted of anything yet. Of course, that doesn't stop the press and everyone else from convicting him in public. If everyone's dirty laundry were publicized, I believe we would all be more forgiving and understanding.

Get better Max (if in deed you did the things you're accused of).

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:43 p.m.

Let's hope this is the rock bottom he needs to start turning his life around.

• mufasta American Fork, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:42 p.m.

That is sad. I agree with Drummond.....get the help you need Max. I will be rooting for you as well.

• afro14 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:41 p.m.

You know, as much as I despised this guy after what he said about the U and it's fans, it is genuinely sad to see someone struggle with addiction. I hope he gets help and overcomes his problem.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:38 p.m.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:37 p.m.

The irony of what happened here is obvious and needs no mention. I just hope he can get his life in order and beat this addiction.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:37 p.m.

I know we don't have all the facts but this is truly discouraging and unfortunate. It's amazing how long people can put on a facade and show everyone what they want us to see, but obviously be struggling with issues inside and demons that haven't been confronted. I hope Max figures this out and does whatever he needs to do to be accountable and make things right. And please Ute fans, no need to pile on with any of the rivalry "they threw beer at my family" stuff. If this were happening to an ex-Ute I would feel the same sadness for him and his family and whatever they are dealing with.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:37 p.m.

I have never been a Max Hall fan but this is sad. I feel bad for his wife and family.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:35 p.m.

This is no place to pile on. People make mistakes. I feel for his family.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:33 p.m.

Very sad to see this! I hope he gets the help he needs.

On a side note - I wish he wasn't wearing the BYU shirt in his mugshot!

Stay classy everyone...

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:31 p.m.

Time to drop the usual BYU v Utah trash talk and think about this man's family. Get into rehab Max. Get yourself cleaned up and make something positive of your life. This is one Utah fan that will be rooting for you.