Opinion

Letter: Gun safety

Comments

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 2:53 p.m.

LDS Liberal...

Nice to see one of the boys from "Hunter" (refuse to call it West Valley) do well...

lived there from age 7 until I was married at 23.. Great place to live (back then).

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:32 p.m.

@LWhite
    Springville, UT
    JohnThompson, MikeRichards, my hubby and the boys used to spend one or two Saturday mornings every Summer target practicing in the hills on the west side of Utah Lake...

=======

I grew up in Hunter, Utah [way back before there was a West Valley].
    My father was in the Special Forces - a Green Beret.
    He taught us kids how to use weapons too;
    guns, rifles, knives, ropes, explosives, poisons, boobytraps, and hand-to-hand.

My Father and I also talked about being an American.
    So, when I grew up,
    I walked the talk.

In the USAF – I became M-16 qualified as well as Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical weapons certified.

Weapons are not some macho show and tell,
    fake “patriot” maker.

I'm also smart enough to NEVER give one to a 9 year old.

As for Mike’s accusations of ‘hiding’ behind a moniker,
    I hold a DoD SecretSecurity clearance,
    and do not even have a Facebook or listed telephone number.

It's a matter of National Security.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 1:23 p.m.

@Mike Richards 1:55 p.m. Sept. 2, 2014

Your comment is mostly correct. Let me fix the problem and make it all correct. Your second paragraph should read as follows:

We would stop acting like we had been raised in a barnyard and would start acting like the people we really are - members of the same family. We would recognize that all people should be allowed to marry consistent with their sexual and affectional affinity, including those who are gay and lesbian, and by allowing marriage equality we would be strengthening and doing what's right for society in the process -- we would be rendering unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's while, in our own lives, rendering unto God the things that are God's. We would encourage everyone to work by providing them the training and work experience necessary to allow them to succeed while providing support during the time it takes to have them get the training and experience they need.

We need to treat people with more love and understanding, and less animus and discrimination. You have the right idea, but need help figuring out how to get it done.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 12:36 p.m.

I learned to shoot as a child, starting with an air-powered pellet gun and graduating to more powerful weapons as I matured and became able to handle them. I currently shoot both a hunting rifle and a 9mm pistol. My husband's experiences are identical to mine. We both learned range safety rules (and practiced them) from the very beginning.

We taught our sons to shoot. Even before they ever handled a gun (eveb a toy from Disneyland), they practiced range safety rules and learned those rules by observing us. The rules were ingraned in all of us from the very beginning, and are part of our nature by this time.

There is no way in the world that we would EVER allow a child to handle an automatic rifle. It is incredibly foolish and unsafe to allow a child to handle a powerful weapon. I feel sorry for the little girl -- she will have a horrendous burden to carry for the rest of her life. The real fault, though, lies with the people who put the gun in her hands in the first place.

Wisdom, sadly, is often not displayed. It's needed.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:50 a.m.

" Some people own them to help protect their neighbors, or the country (if needed). I know... you wouldn't understand that."

You're right I don't understand you running around with your thirty, thirty trying to protect the country. Have you ever stood on the firing range of an f16? Have you ever seen the damage done with rockets fired from planes and drones?

Protecting your country with your own personal weapons is absolute nonsensical paranoia..a fantasy, and an excuse.

" Back in colonial times we had laws requiring every able-bodied male to enroll in the militia and be trained on how to use a gun." Yup, back in colonial times.

Personally I think every able bodied man should be required to serve in the military..and I think it's absolutely within the culture of America for people to own guns for hunting etc.

However I also think just like back in colonial times guns should be regulated (look it up)and it's silly to think guns owned and used for hunting would add up to 350 million.

350 million absolutely insane.

• Anti Bush-Obama Chihuahua, 00
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:39 a.m.

LDS Liberal

"BTW --
    as to your comparing me to the Founding Fathers --
    I am not guilty of committing "treason" or Revolting against my Country as they were."

Truth is treason in the time of tyranny. Always has been always will be. That will never change. It sounds like with this statement that your true self is finally coming out of the box.

• L White Springville, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 11:11 a.m.

John Thompson, Mike Richards, my hubby and the boys used to spend one or two Saturday mornings every Summer target practicing in the hills on the west side of Utah Lake before the houses were built and it became unsafe to shoot there. Those three men taught our boys how to safely handle rifles, pistols and revolvers. Along with that instruction, they talked of being Americans. They talked of the great Statesmen. Our families go way back. Mike has driven down to the place I work many times in the middle of the night to get our computers working. John has freely lent his business expertise. My hubby has tried to return the favor with his accounting expertise.

Isn't that what America is about? People joining together to pursue hopes and dreams? The word is "synergy". Maybe some of you have never had that opportunity. It's not too late. Make a friend, help him or her and make the world a better place.

• SuperNova Eagle, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 10:26 a.m.

@Mike Richards

---------------

Mike Richards, calling JThompson and L White out on the carpet!Thought I would never see the day where he would disagree with his buddies. :)

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 10:15 a.m.

Mike Richards
    South Jordan, Utah

If your "secrecy" is more important than your liberty, you, alone, have to make that decision. . John Hancock disagreed with you. John Adams disagreed with you. Benjamin Harris disagreed with you. Benjamin Franklin disagreed with you. They, and all the others who put their names and their fortunes on the line, when they signed the Declaration of Independence, are the "standard" which we measure ourselves. Their "job" was not more important to them than standing for liberty and for freedom.

=======

So then,
    Why were they so adimit as to require a "secret ballot" for voting in the Constitution?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:46 a.m.

@pragmatistferlife,

Re: "There's something really wrong with a society when a citizenry feels that every man woman and child needs a gun for personal protection"....

Not all guns are owned for personal protection. Some people own them to help protect their neighbors, or the country (if needed). I know... you wouldn't understand that.

If there's something wrong with a society that thinks every person should know how to use a gun.... then there has been something wrong with our society from the beginning. Back in colonial times we had laws requiring every able-bodied male to enroll in the militia and be trained on how to use a gun.

Wikipedia
    "In colonial times, the Thirteen Colonies used a militia system for defense. Colonial militia laws—and after independence those of the United States and the various states—required able-bodied males to enroll in the militia, to undergo a minimum of military training, and to serve for limited periods of time in war or emergency"...

So evidently there's been something wrong with our society from the beginning...

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 9:44 a.m.

wrz: "...[the Constitution] says nothing about rules and restrictions. Just the opposite."

The awkward syntax of the Second Amendment lends itself to multiple interpretations. You have yours. Here is mine:

The Second Amendment is the only place in the Constitution where the word "regulate" in any form appears. It is used to describe a militia that is not just regulated, but "well regulated." This regulation is not just a good idea, but is "necessary" to secure freedom.

Others in this forum have informed me that a "well regulated" militia in the eyes of the Founders meant one that was trained and organized. I accept the concept of militia as conferring an individual right to arms, but if "militia=individuals" then "well regulated militia" implies well regulated individuals. At the very least, some basic "rules and restrictions" such as inventory control (e.g registration) and proficiency standards (e.g. training) are constitutionally allowable.

Every organization that employs arms to achieve a goal, from the U.S. Army to the Mafia regulates weapons within its ranks. Boot camp recruits don't get to play with howitzers. Inventories are audited. The amorphous American militia (individuals) should be no different.

• Lightbearer Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2014 8:57 a.m.

Re: "This nation was founded by people who detested secrecy. We rejected it. The founding fathers were not ashamed to identify themselves."

The Federalist Papers were published anonymously. At the time of publication, the identity of the authors was a secret. Apparently Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and and John Jay found nothing to be ashamed of in using the pen name "Publius" instead of their real names.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Sept. 3, 2014 8:45 a.m.

To the point of the article.

350 million guns in a society is crazy, pure and simple. There's something really wrong with a society when a citizenry feels that every man woman and child needs a gun for personal protection.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Sept. 3, 2014 8:43 a.m.

"Those that think that being anonymous is more important than having the integrity to be who you are, let me share some facts. Yes my house has been egged. Yes, I have anonymous calls at all times of the night. That is a small price to pay for freedom."

I absolutely agree. It is a small price. When you represent the majority view you are hardly putting your reputation, your fortune, your family ties, your job etc. etc. "on the line".

A progressive, atheist, in Utah is.

The anonymity also is a sign of the importance we place on these discussions. While kind of interesting, sort of fun, and mildly useful in forming ones own opinion no one on the progressive side has any illusions that they represent any meaningful change.

Why would I put my reputation, and fortune on the line for a discussion with no consequences?

I'm very open about my views and not at all anonymous when it matters.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 8:46 p.m.

@Mike Richards
    South Jordan, Utah

airnaut,
    Sorry, but the world does not revolve around you. Everything will continue to work whether you post or not. If your "secrecy" is more important than your liberty, you, alone, have to make that decision. John Hancock disagreed with you. John Adams disagreed with you. Benjamin Harris disagreed with you. Benjamin Franklin disagreed with you. They, and all the others who put their names and their fortunes on the line, when they signed the Declaration of Independence, are the "standard" which we measure ourselves. Their "job" was not more important to them than standing for liberty and for freedom.

===========

I am an American,
    I hold my DoD Security Clearances,
    so that I may serve OUR country - Mike.

You are right about one thing,
    I CHOOSE to do so,
    and likewise - you do/did not.

BTW --
    as to your comparing me to the Founding Fathers --

• wrz Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 2, 2014 8:13 p.m.

airnaut
    "I suppose if the Founding Fathers thought people in the future would actually be stupid enough to give sub-machine guns to children... they would have written that into the Constitution."

They did write it into the Constitution... 'the right of the people to keep and bear arm shall not be infringed.' Last time I looked children were people. And sometimes children were included in a militia.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 4:00 p.m.

The gun as an object or tool, and the safe use of it, are part of the situation. The gun as attitude, and you can see that here, is a larger part of the problem.

• OneWifeOnly San Diego, CA
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:51 p.m.

Debate all you like about whether or not a 9 year old is capable of handling a Uzi or any other type of gun. Here is what I know to be a fact. If I do not own a gun then a gun purchased by me will never be in the hands of a child, used in a crime, or the cause of an accidental death. I learned this when I was a child. A "responsible" hunter shot my dog. The hunter wasn't even man enough to come forward and offer condolences or even a measly apology for trespassing on my parents' property.

I don't care how responsible you believe you are as a gun owner. Guns (and the people who shoot them) kill living creatures. I have met few people who own guns and are willing to take financial and personal responsibility for their guns.

This child will mark the rest of her life from this one event where she shot another human being. I would be interested to see if her parents would take a do-over, given the chance, and enroll her in some other enrichment activity besides Uzi Shooting Lessons.

• wrz Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:35 p.m.

@2 bits:
    "The problem was her experience level and her ability."

The problem was partly the inexperience of the guy who got shot. He shoulda knowed a kid with a gun might swing the muzzle around randomly and not realize fully how dangerous that might be to others.

A cousin (my age) I went bird hunting with carried his shotgun at arm's length at his side. He would sometimes swing around to spot a bird or communicate with other hunters in the hunting party. He got bawled out but good by his father because the waist-high sagebrush coulda accidentally snagged the trigger, discharged the gun, and shot someone. As a kid, how would he have known that? But his dad saw the danger.

Another incident... a kid went to remove his (loaded) shotgun from the back seat of the car, grabbing it by the barrel and pulling it. The trigger caught on a ruffle or something on the seat and the gun discharged. He lost two fingers on one hand and got a lap full of buckshot, resulting in an eventual peg leg.

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:23 p.m.

Mike,

I'm assuming that your "false identity" comments refer to anyone who isn't you, or one of the relatively small handful of people who use their first and last name as their user ID here. Anyone who has read many of my posts here, particularly those referring to my occupation in local government finance with a certain major Wasatch Front county, and who did a little bit of homework, could probably figure out who I am. Some of us choose not to use our full names as our user IDs for internet identity security purposes (no, I don't own a tinfoil hat, I just believe that identity theft and other types of technology-based crimes are prevalent enough that reasonable precautions are in order).

Now that that waste of word-count is out of the way...

The 9-year old/Uzi incident illustrates that a firearm user needs to be competent to use said firearm. This should be included with the other safety rules, and should encompass both physical and mental competence.

• wrz Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 2, 2014 3:06 p.m.

@The Real Maverick:
    "9 year olds shouldn't be playing with Uzis.'

No child should have any kind of weapon to play with or even hold. And that includes guns, swords, or anything else designed to inflict damage or pain.

@ECR:
    "How many people on the right have claimed that Barrack Obama's agenda is to take all of our guns away?"

Well, we know for sure that taking all the guns away would make it alot easier for ISIS to fulfill its stated objective of setting up a caliphate in the US.

@airnaut:
    "I'm not anti-gun. I just think we need rules and restrictions."

I think you'll find in the US Constitution that 'the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.' As you can see, it says nothing about rules and restrictions. Just the opposite.

If rules/restrictions are needed, we would also need an amendment to the Constitution, seems to me.

@SuperNova:
    "Why are conservatives trying to shove religion at me in putting the Ten Commandments in each court room?"

The Commandments are displayed on the Supreme Court building, and have been since the it was constructed.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2014 2:45 p.m.

Enough of the false and misleading comments! The 9-year-old did not "own" an automatic 9mm weapon. She was at a range with a qualified instructor where anyone over the age of 8 could shoot a fully automatic weapon if the instructor decided that the shooter could handle the weapon. The instructor decided that the 9-year-old was able to handle the weapon. She was not able to handle the recoil. The weapon "bucked" and the instructor was shot and killed.

The incident was labeled as an accident. Anyone can look up the facts.

Using a tragic accident to further political purposes is degrading. Anyone who does so should be exposed. Hiding behind a false identity does not excuse anyone from posting false and misleading information.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Sept. 2, 2014 2:25 p.m.

procuradorfiscal
    Tooele, UT
    Re: "9 year olds shouldn't be playing with Uzis."

Only a liberal would assume the authority to tell the rest of the universe what they can or can't do. In fact, it's the foundational tenet of the liberal religion, to tell the rest of us what we can or can't do, in every facet of our lives.

Liberals. Gotta love 'em.

10:54 a.m. Sept. 2, 2014

=========

Common sense says a 9 year old should not have an UZI,
    The Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution based on a people that would HAVE and USE common sense.

Ironic that same "Constitutition" bans a 9 year old from voting until she's 18?

I suppose if the Founding Fathers thought people in the future would actually be stupid enought to give sub-machine guns to children and the mentally ill, they would have written that into the Constitution.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2014 1:55 p.m.

We all know the rules. We know to keep scissors pointed down. We know to never point a gun at anything we do not want to kill. We know to never speak unkindly to anyone, but we all break rules. Many people hide behind false identities and then act like they were raised in a barnyard. The simple solution is to acknowledge the fact that we are all family and that we need to treat everyone as family. There would be no verbal assaults and no physical assaults. We would never point a gun at anyone. We would take anyone aside who uses a false identity and ask him or her why they're afraid of identifying themselves.

We would stop acting like we had been raised in a barnyard and would start acting like the people we really are - members of the same family. We would stop insisting that marriage be redefined to include the 1.6% who practice same-sex sex, instead we would do what's right for society. We would encourage everyone to work and help get people off the dole.

We would treat guns and words and actions properly.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 1:27 p.m.

@ECR,

RE: "I have to register my car. There is a record if I obtain a fishing license. Why not my gun?"...

We already have gun registration. You have to pass the Brady Bill to get a gun (did you know that)? I assume that goes into a database somewhere.

=====================

RE: "Why does one man (or woman) need to have dozens of guns"...

I don't know.... Why does one man (or woman) need the right to posses more than one car?

Why does anyone need the right to have an abortion? Or marijuana? Or alcohol? Or pornography...

Because I don't understand it... doesn't mean I must do away with their right to have it?

This is called "Tolerance". Not completely understanding why somebody wants or does something... and not thinking because we don't understand their motivations... they should not have the right to do the thing we don't understand.

It doesn't matter if you don't know why somebody would want dozens of guns. Just be tolerant of someone who's different than you...

==================

BTW... I don't fear proposals that take away 2nd amendment rights... I fear what would happen AFTER that....

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 1:26 p.m.

Just keep them out of sight out of mind. I smoke cigaret, No one know that.

• ECR Burke, VA
    Sept. 2, 2014 12:30 p.m.

2 bits - I totally agree with your point that gun safety should be our number one priority. Guns are not going away and so we should promote safe use and storage of guns in order to protect as many innocent lives as possible. And many of the gun deaths in this country are a result of poor safety habits.

"Progressives" proposing new laws and regulations that in affect infringe on people's 2nd amendment rights." And how many of those proposed laws have been passed?

I support gun rights but I don't believe that a right to own a gun is a right to own it without anyone knowing I own it. Let's register all guns. How is that an infringement on someone's rights? I have to register my car. There is a record if I obtain a fishing license. Why not my gun?

Yes, the criminals will get past registration but sometimes people who are otherwise good citizens turn into criminals and so it would be nice to have a record of, at least, those guns. And while we're on the subject, why does one man (or woman) need to have dozens of guns?

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Sept. 2, 2014 12:27 p.m.

"The cause of the accident wasn't her age. "

That is true. It was caused, for the most part by her small size which contributed in her lack of ability to control the weapon.

Her size was, in part, due to her age.

• The Educator South Jordan , UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 12:18 p.m.

@ Pro

and conservatives don't force their restrictions on us?

Have you seen the marriage and booze laws here in Utah? Have you seen their demands on educators? Have you seen how they've tried to force their ideals on other countries (using my hard earned tax dollars to kill innocent Iraqis)?

Why do conservatives feel like abortion is so evil yet revel in the destruction of lives in the Middle-East?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 11:55 a.m.

@ECR,

IMO the focus should be on SAFETY... not FEAR.

And I mean fear on either side. Not fear of guns. And not fear of having your 2nd amendment rights taken away. Not fear of right-wing. Not fear of Progressives.

We need to FOCUS.... and focus on the right thing... SAFETY (not fear)

================

IF we'd focus on SAFETY... we wouldn't NEED to worry about the fear... because there would be nothing to fear.

We wouldn't have 8-year-olds having accidents with usis. And there wouldn't be all these "Progressives" proposing new laws and regulations that in affect infringe on people's 2nd amendment rights.

The cause of the accident wasn't her age. The problem was her experience level and her ability. She obviously wasn't ready for an uzi or even a pistol. But that doesn't mean there is an automatic age limit. Some young people have been trained on safety and can handle guns safely (though I see no need for them to handle an uzi). But I know some 40-year-olds I would also not trust with an uzi.... so AGE alone... should NOT be the criteria here.

• SuperNova Eagle, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 11:23 a.m.

@procuradorfiscal

=======================

And a liberal would say the same of conservatives. Case in point...why do conservatives care about what gender the parties of a marriage are? Why are conservatives trying to shove religion at me in putting the Ten Commandments in each court room? School Prayer? Take my money to fund wars?

Each side can accuse the other of trying to be controlling. A liberal sees freedom generally in social freedom, and a conservative generally equates freedom with fiscal freedom. A liberal might say "You can have my money for food stamps, just don't tell me whom I can and I cannot marry." A conservative might say "I have no problem with the State defining marriage how they want, but don't take my money for food stamps." (Painting a VERY broad picture here, and generalizing it)

We all want freedom. How we define freedom is where we disagree.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:54 a.m.

Re: "9 year olds shouldn't be playing with Uzis."

Liberals. Gotta love 'em.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:16 a.m.

How about --

Back ground checks for criminals and the mentally ill?
    or
    Keeping Uzi's out of the hands of 9 year olds?

Everytime a SandyHook, Columbine, Aurora, Viginia Tech,
    or
    child accidently shoots a friend, sibling or anyone else...

We get these sappy "guns are our friends" letters to the editor.

BTW --
    I'm not anti-gun.
    I just think we need rules and restrictions.

This "Free for all", "anything goes", "shall not be infringed" is ONLY for sane, law abiding ADULT citizens.

I'm a veteran, small arms certified and a decorated marksman.

Must weapons are safe and secure in GUN safes!
    Just like the Military and Police keep theirs.

• ECR Burke, VA
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:04 a.m.

2 bits - I think too many people are trying to start Fear of Having Guns Taken Away. How many people on the right have claimed that Barrack Obama's agenda is to take all of our guns away? Wayne LaPierre of the NRA is probably the most outspoken in his claims about the president's intentions. But think how many in the media or in the Congress have made the same claims?

And how many has the president taken? Not one. The Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence has given him an F grade for his lack of action against the gun lobby. A report called “Failed Leadership, Lost Lives,” concludes: “He (President Obama) not only failed to voice any support for–much less sign–any new gun laws to close dangerous loopholes, but has actually signed repeals of more federal gun polices than President George W. Bush did in both of his terms.”

The only fear I have is who is keeping check on the unbridled appetites of gun manufacturers who the NRA really represents, not “4 million members” who simply love the Second Amendment, as they claim.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 10:01 a.m.

Guns were a necessary component to the Union's success in putting down lawless anarchists during the Civil War. As  Abraham Lincoln famously stated "Whenever the vicious portion of the population shall be permitted to gather in bands of hundreds and thousands, and burn churches, ravage and rob provision stores, throw printing presses into rivers, shoot editors, and hang and burn obnoxious persons at pleasure, and with impunity; depend on it, this government cannot last." We must ensure that the right people have access to firearms so that we are not again threatened with the prospect of a Civil War.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:34 a.m.

The common interpretation of that is "shoot to kill" If it is a machine gun people obsess over...Shoot to kill alot.

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:12 a.m.

JoeBlow: "Never leave a loaded gun unattended unless it is locked up."

Applying the second premise from the letter (Treat every gun as if it is loaded) to your addition logically yields the corollary "Never leave a gun unattended unless it is locked up." since the presumption is that all guns are loaded.

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:06 a.m.

Couldn't agree more. And yet these two very simple rules are ignored by many who should know better. Take, for instance, the Arizona legislator, an avid gun rights supporter, who pointed her handgun at a journalist during an interview in her office. She violated both of the most basic of gun handling rules. I think she said she was joking, but it's a serious breach of gun safety protocol. I don't think the journalist was laughing. If people who vocally stand for the Second Amendment can't model responsible gun behavior, who can?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 9:05 a.m.

Gun "SAFETY"... is a GOOD thing. Gun "FEAR"... is not.

Too many people are trying to start Gun FEAR. I think we should focus on Gun SAFETY.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 8:04 a.m.

While I agree fully with the writer, additional precautions must be taken. Most gun deaths are by family or friends of the victim. How can these deaths be prevented?

• ECR Burke, VA
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:44 a.m.

Thanks Don, for these common sense statements. Please forgive me for modifying what you say just a bit.

"It should be the first rule required to be taught by any gun course and the stadard by which society in general."

We can argue all we want about the right to own guns or the requirement for background checks and registrations. But what should be the first rule of thumb is to be responsible with the use of guns. Too many tragic deaths occur each year because people are not responsible in the care and storage of their guns.

Thanks again for saying it.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:28 a.m.

9 year olds shouldn't be playing with Uzis.

They should be playing ball, dolls, or make believe. Not shooting an automatic for fun.

That's the bottom line.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Sept. 2, 2014 5:28 a.m.

you forgot one Don.

Never leave a loaded gun unattended unless it is locked up.