Sports

BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to look for in the week leading up to UConn

Comments

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 10:17 p.m.

@ idablu

Unfortunately he does.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 27, 2014 6:41 p.m.

@Two

No. My bad. I was fooled. But you have to admit, he's got some notorious unnamed posters pegged to a T.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 5:30 p.m.

@ idablu

You understand that is a BYU fan pretending to be a Ute, right?

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 27, 2014 3:09 p.m.

To TheGreatPAC12:

You really don't see how desperately pathetic it appears to ride the coat tails of your conference rather than being able to stand on your own merits?

Seriously. I have known college sports fans from around the country and the only ones who boast more about their conference affiliation than their own team are Utah fans.

• TheGreatPAC12 Salt Lake City, 00
    Aug. 27, 2014 11:24 a.m.

I am being realistic. The Utes are Rose Bowl bound. Travis Wilson is gonna have a breakout season this year and will be unstoppable. But if it doesn't happen it essentially doesn't matter because we are in a P5 conference and that's all that matters. Win or lose, filled seats or empty seats, I'd rather be in the PAC12 than any other conference in the country. The SEC ain't got nothin' on the PAC

PAC12 faithful

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 11:08 a.m.

BYU by at least four touchdowns as the BYU crowd drowns out the UC fans. Meanwhile the uties will try an on side kick to start the second half and try to come up with some phony excuse as to why they did it. First Wyoming and then Idaho fans will turn on anything u of u.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Aug. 27, 2014 10:20 a.m.

@mexicanute

You must be of about 3 people in mexico that doesn't get byu tv with their tv connectivity service.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Aug. 27, 2014 10:09 a.m.

@timid robin and 0 perspective

Something that you can take to the bank... Even with BYU's admittedly weaker schedule, the Cougars will have an average of near 30% more fans attend their home games than the utes will have attend their games... In real numbers that means that even with Savannah State, UNLV, and Nevada on their schedule(who represent 50% of all BYU home games this year) the Cougs will have nearly 100,000 more people come through their gates to watch the Cougs play in person than the utes will have to show up at their games...

In fact, on November 22, better than 10,000 will come to see BYU beat Savannah State than will go to see the Arizona Wildcats of the big bad pac12 beat Utah... Ouch...

• Mexican Ute mexico, 00
    Aug. 27, 2014 9:56 a.m.

Here is the truth.

Since living in Mexico the last four years:

Number of BYU games available on television including ESPN: 1. And it was a bowl game against Oregon State.

Number of Utah games available on television including ESPN: Nearly a dozen. Utah isn't much of a followed team outside of Utah or even the Pac 12, but Fox Sports televises Pac 12 games here as well as Big 10 games. The BYU games are kicked off of Espn here for a rerun of a European soccer match.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 10:56 p.m.

BYU 27
    UConn 13

Taysom will have a very strong game, and the new Cougar players on both offense and defense will be eager to put a good stamp on the season opener.

Also, if Bronco is becoming more relaxed with the media, this can only be a good thing.

Thank you Ute fans for your unwavering support of Deseret News articles about BYU. Feel free to keep the comments coming. It only proves that BYU football remains extremely relevant, even to those in super conferences like the PAC 12.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 26, 2014 9:02 p.m.

To think that when I was at Yale, the Elis always trounced UConn. Now UConn is playing BYU. Amazing what 30 years will do ...

Wish I were there ... planned to go but am teaching class at UCI which finishes Friday ...

To those of you going: New Haven has the WORLDS BEST PIZZA. Bar none. Get to Wooster Square in New Haven, ask anybody how to get there and get in line at Pepe's or Sally's.

You will not be sorry, in spite of the hour or so wait. Bring a book or something to read while in line. That's what the Yalies do (faculty, too).

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 8:30 p.m.

@BraveSirRobin & Myperspective
    "Just heard that BYU was allotted 3,000 tickets....and returned over 1,500 of them. That's a game being played 90 minutes from Boston and 2 hours from New York. So much for that "national fanbase" we hear so much about. Or is it just that they can't be persuaded to buy tickets?"

--------------

I no longer live in Utah, when I fly to Utah to attend games at LES I buy through BYU but when I go to away games in other venues I buy through Stubhub. I suspect many others do the same.

As for traffic in the NE, I would imagine very few LDS members/BYU fans are interested in spending that much time in traffic, especially if they already spend a boatload of time commuting Mon-Fri. Since the game is on ESPN I suspect many of the BYU fans living in the Boston/NY markets will watch it on TV instead. This, however, is not indicative of our fanbase in other areas. The game at Middle Tennessee sold out their allotment of tickets weeks ago and had to get more (and promptly sold those out as well).

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 4:00 p.m.

Brave Sir,
    Its called ESPN national televison pime time 7:00 est. Get out your popcorn and enjoy !

• BayAreaCougar Pleasanton, CA
    Aug. 26, 2014 3:00 p.m.

"Brave Sir Robin
    San Diego, CA

Can you provide a source please?

I know that the BYU game at Cal this year is only second to Stanford on ticket cost. They used a tiered pricing and the BYU, UCLA and Washinton games are $30 to $105 per seat compared to Stanford at $35 to $110 per seat. In comparison the Colorado and Sacramento State games are $25 to $100 through the ticket office.

Other PAC 10 schools know the value of bringing BYU to town.

• Unreconstructed Reb Chantilly, VA
    Aug. 26, 2014 2:59 p.m.

Smack from Utes about BYU fan attendance at UCONN? Please.

I can't make it because of work, but I know plenty from my area who are going. Most found it cheaper to buy through the opponent's ticket office, which has been my experience as well (I'm attending another game later in the season and did just that).

BYU has a groundswell of supporting fans from up and down the Atlantic Seaboard in attendance when they play out here. I've been and will continue to be part of it. Everywhere are dozens comments from the local team fanbases dumbfounded at the number of Cougar faithful, and many have asked where we all came from (most are surprised we're not from Utah, and we're darn proud of that).

For Utes to choose away attendance as smack not only reeks of desperation, but is completely ignorant. They mock BYU's "The world is our campus" motto, but BYU's widespread alumni base can't be disputed. I'd love to see Utah put fans in seats on the East Coast at *anywhere* close to the levels BYU does.

• Royal ACP Logan, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 2:37 p.m.

Hey Chris B,
    "Strong like the mountains!" Ha! Classic.

• eric2002x Miami, FL
    Aug. 26, 2014 2:22 p.m.

My sister lives in CT and she bought something like 50 tickets for friends and Church Ward members who are BYU fans. I personally have over 15 family members attending the BYU-UCONN game. When I look up tix I do so on StubHub, so maybe that is more of the issue of coordination with the BYU Athletic Dept to all the BYU fans attending.

• Objectified Richfield, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 2:17 p.m.

@ TheGreatPAC12:

Speaking of smelling roses this year. The only you and all other ute fans will be doing that is from your gardens. Of if someone sends you a bouquet.

Time to get a bit more realistic. With Utah's schedule this year, that's simply the way this year is going to play out. It would actually be a very pleasant surprise just to end up with a winning record and go to a bowl game for the first time in years.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 26, 2014 2:12 p.m.

UCONN is a basketball school, not a football school. Therefore, BYU will win. ;-)

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 26, 2014 1:45 p.m.

B. Sir Robin and My perspective,

When BYU visits Arizona State, or plays anywhere close down here, I typically don't buy through BYU. I buy through the local markets or on stub hub and other places. All because tickets are returned doesn't mean BYU fans won't be out in droves. Granted, this is Boston and New York area where some of the most liberal minded people live who are typically not members of the LDS church.

I know it's hard, but try and be objective and real.

• Bolso Ann Arbor, MI
    Aug. 26, 2014 1:02 p.m.

Wow, I'm a big BYU football fan... have been reading 80% of all the almost meaningless preseason articles about BYU football to attest to that.

But I haven't read more than maybe 2 about Utah football.

Some of these Utes have a problem, either they read more about BYU or they spend so much time on the computer that they probably don't have a job or go to school or anything.

• TheGreatPAC12 Salt Lake City, 00
    Aug. 26, 2014 12:42 p.m.

Go PAC12! Yeah baby! I'm smelling roses this year. Good time to be a Ute

PAC12 enthusiast
    Utes Rock!

• Objectified Richfield, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 11:44 a.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin:

The game is being played on ESPN to a national audience. The fanbase can't get any bigger than that. Playing on national tv is something that Ute players and fans can only dream about. And BYU will do it multiple times this season.
    Even BYUtv plays to a bigger audience than the PAC12 network does. Because I have DirecTV, I have to read about Ute games the next day.

I also noticed that once again you offer no backing to your assertions. Don't necessarily believe everything you hear... especially when it comes from a Ute fan known for being very biased against everything BYU.

It is interesting that a supposed BYU hater would spend so much time learning so many small details about upcoming BYU games. Maybe you're actually a bigger fan than you let on. I know for an absolute fact that I and most BYU fans couldn't care less about how many tickets Utah gets and gives back for any of their games. Makes no difference whatsoever.

That Ute fans obviously care so much is quite a compliment to BYU and it's sports programs.

• Mikeylikesit Davis, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 11:40 a.m.

Robin: On a Friday night you forgot to mention and perhaps didn't think about how many may have bought seats from other sources. But your bias prevents you from looking at things logically. One thing we can be sure of is, the 1500 or whatever the number is at UC, they will be in better control of their faculties that the few thousand at the u for their game err scrimmage.

• Jared from CT SOUTHBURY, CT
    Aug. 26, 2014 11:36 a.m.

I just bought two tickets -- not from BYU ticket sales -- for the BYU / UCONN game... I'm sure a lot of Cougar fans have done the same thing, i.e. bought non-BYU-allotted tickets. Don't be surprised when the BYU cheers drown out the UCONN cheers, and not just because the Cougar fans will have a lot more to cheer for!!!!

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 11:37 a.m.

Again, I am so sick of the trash talk. Why does DN allow this garbage? This is a BYU article. STOP COMPARING! Go speak on your own school articles. Be mature!

Good luck to Taysom Hill and Co. at UConn. Going a couple of days early should help calm the nerves. I think this BYU team will do just fine.

Go Cougars!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 11:27 a.m.

Brave Sir Robin
    San Diego, CA

That's interesting. There's ample evidence of this every year but it is always quickly forgotten by the byu faithful who continue to proclaim their fan base is world wide.

In fact, the way byu fans talk on these boards leads the casual observer to believe that so many byu fans show up to their games they are turned away at the gate. Never happens...way too much talk down South. Clearly a point that is not lost on the Power 5 conferences.

From a Utah fan...best of luck on your season, BYU!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 26, 2014 11:15 a.m.

• Mikeylikesit Davis, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 10:58 a.m.

Chris B
    PAC-12 PREVIEW

Mandel's flop team: Oregon Ducks. The string of 11- and 12-win seasons can’t go on forever, and despite the return of star quarterback Marcus Mariota, the Ducks’ once-unstoppable offense showed cracks last year following Chip Kelly’s departure. Oregon’s defense may miss retired coordinator Nick Aliotti.

Feldman's flop team: Utah Utes. They have been sputtering since arriving in the conference and don't be surprised if the bottom drops out in 2014. The rest of the league has elevated from when Utah planned the move to the Pac-12, and with CU improving, the hunch here is that Utah will end up in the South division cellar.

• Objectified Richfield, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 10:57 a.m.

As we've come to expect, Chris B's guesses when it comes to anything BYU are not reliable at all. In fact, they are usually wrong. His guesses in that respect are more like hopes than guesses. So his negative slant prediction is actually a good omen for BYU. Notice that he didn't offer his usual "you can mark it down" remark. That means he's actually a bit worried that BYU might actually be very good.

I've undoubtedly paid a lot more objective attention to BYU's preparation going into this game than the aforementioned person offering his guess-work assessments. As such, I can vouch for the Cougars being a lot more prepared going into this first game than they were a year ago for that opening game.

They have also upgraded regarding their athleticism and experience in several key positions. The most noticeable will probably be on the offensive line. That in turn will allow for improved performances from both Taysom Hill and the running backs. Expect to see some impressive long-ball pass completions to faster receivers resulting in some quick scores for the Cougars. Their impressive performance will open some eyes.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Aug. 26, 2014 10:56 a.m.

Wow, Chris, congrats on being first...again. I'm not sure why this article even matters to a Ute fan but I'm happy some of you people still care even though you have 'moved on'. I just wish you would tell us more about what you really think about BYU football. I'm especially interested in how this game relates to Utah being in a Power5 conference?

• Mexican Ute mexico, 00
    Aug. 26, 2014 10:43 a.m.

Taysom has improved as a QB. The question is how will his line hold up? And how will the BYU secondary do? Who is UCONN's QB?

I call this game a Tossup due to BYU's insistence of starting out their seasons with their left foot.

Utah should blow out Idaho State though. It's really our only easy win of the season. But it is good that we are playing Idaho State this early in the season to get our confidence up. Not like the TDS playing Savannah State at the end of the season.

GO UTES!

• PDX_CougarFan Milwaukie, OR
    Aug. 26, 2014 10:42 a.m.

@Chris - I hope that isn't what we see. It could be what is seen in the Utah, Idaho St game as well, except that I won't see that game. :)