Sports

Dick Harmon: BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall, UConn coach Bob Diaco share same approach to shaping athletes

Comments

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 8:08 p.m.

Dick raises an important question that remains unanswered.

If both coaches and teams are living right on and off the field, for which team will magic happen?

• J Poll Gilford, NH
    Aug. 26, 2014 8:00 p.m.

Why do people even dignify some of the comments with a response. Let the primates beat their chests and impress themselves. Just enjoy it for it's entertainment value but don't drink it. That's all they want. I won't give them the satisfaction. "If a tree falls I the woods..." If a BYU hater bellows on the net...

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 5:47 p.m.

@ Old But Not Stupid

Utah didn't "want" to join the PAC-12? I had no idea we were forced into such an awesome conference. I also didn't know that Utah was forced into its home-home series against Michigan. I don't know if I will be able to handle the punishment of seeing Oregon, USC, UCLA, Michigan, etc., etc., all play in RES. If only I could watch big-time teams like UNLV, Nevada, and MTSU...

As for 2008. Utah beat 4 ranked teams en route to its undefeated season. Let me know that last time BYU did anything close to that.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 26, 2014 1:19 p.m.

Since Chris B has chimed in again on this article with his flawed conjecture about BYU being "irrelevant" I want to tell cb:

I was listening this morning to KNBR 680 - the radio host was interviewing Brian Shaw (Stanford head coach in case cb didn't know). Shaw at one point in the interview stated there are a number of "high quality" teams in the Pac 12 and then Shaw proceeded to name Oregon, Washington, USC, UCLA, and a couple others but guess what -

utah was not in the conversation. Is anybody surprised?? lol.

• PhilRM Anchorage, AK
    Aug. 26, 2014 11:59 a.m.

This is awesome to read. I know LaVell had great relationships with several coaches who shared a similar mindset and coaching style as he did. I hope Bronco is also able to develop those same type of relationships with people like Bob Diaco; it's good for college football.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Aug. 26, 2014 10:43 a.m.

Old but not stupid "Otherwise we'd see a lot of WAC-type scheduling by the Utes as occurred in 2004 and 2008. Mark that down! This explains the bitter focus on SOS."

What did the Ute's do with the schedules they were handed in those two years? Hint: something BYU has been unable to even come close to doing with theirs. Remember Virginia? You can mark that down.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    Aug. 26, 2014 10:17 a.m.

BlueHusky

"Unlike the SEC, who schedules only 2nd rate and 2nd division OOC opponents, BYU will play anybody anywhere."

I think you just nailed it....BYU will play great teams anywhere because they WANT TO....Utah will play great teams (but only) home-and-home because they HAVE TO (i.e., the PAC-10+2 requires it).

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    Aug. 26, 2014 10:07 a.m.

Chris-

Back to fail again...."UConn is much more relevant nationally than byU."

And your evidence is that an ignorant young man on the East coast said BYU is in a good conference?

Every knowledgeable fan knows that UConn is nationally relevant in men's and women's basketball. I did not realize that UConn basketball success and notoriety bled over to their football relevance. Actually, I know that it did not....mark that down.

Hopefully you didn't confuse these facts.

• SoCalCougar1985 Tustin, CA
    Aug. 26, 2014 8:30 a.m.

It's refreshing to read about two college coaches who understand the most important aspects of their job.

As for the relevance question that Utah fans seem to be obsessed with, you really need to get out of your backyard and do some traveling. I can assure you that the ONLY reason people outside the state of Utah even know where Utah State and University of Utah are is because the location is included in the name. However, the vast majority of people have NO CLUE which school is which.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 7:40 a.m.

We are much more relevant nationally than byU because we win a lot.

Go Utes!

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 26, 2014 5:25 a.m.

BYU's schedule is a function of opponent availability and their willingness to play a team that might beat them. Unlike the SEC, who schedules only 2nd rate and 2nd division OOC opponents, BYU will play anybody anywhere.

The chaotic conference realignment caused considerable scheduling difficulties when this year's schedule was put together.

The trolls act talk this was a deliberate scheme to inflate BYU's record. Or maybe they think its the best BYU can do because everybody hates BYU. I notice that BYU plays a lot of PAC-12 teams going forward. Even Washington re-scheduled BYU after buying out their previous contracts when UW was down and the BYU game was just another loss.

With SOS becoming a factor, maybe a de facto scheduling arrangement with the PAC-12 is shaping up. I like it. Add a couple of Big 12 games and throw in some ACC, AAC, and MWC games and we're good to go. SEC can pound sand.

• never break .500 Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 26, 2014 12:13 a.m.

what percent of the college football fan base nationwide knows the difference between UofU and UtahState or UtahValleyU, for that matter? Just like New Mexico and NMState….no one cares, no one remembers….two seasons of significance live large in Chris B's mind….everyone else just thinks of them as a small school with a stadium prolly seats 40,000….or is that Utah State? same thing….

Go Cougs….represent us all nationwide….just win baby….win.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Aug. 25, 2014 11:48 p.m.

@aggieandee... And I so wanted to respect and root for Utah State this year... If you truly are an Aggie fan (which I kind of doubt based on your posts)you will be making that difficult... I think USU has a very good team this year but the truth is that they have been totally owned by the Cougars and the utes over the years (winning at about a 10% rate or less)... very little to beat your chest about... In fact, you could make it very embarrassing for other Aggie fans.

As for Coaching philosophies... I like Mendenhall and most of his ideas on motivation and team building... But when it comes down to it... I like Al Davis's quote the best..."Just win baby..."

• AggieAndee Holladay, UT
    Aug. 25, 2014 10:36 p.m.

BYU will head back to Provo with its tail between its legs after a surprise in Connecticut Friday. Diaco is the better coach and will want to win a lot more than Bronco. UCONN has a lot more talent than BYU on the field.

It will be like the Virginia game all over again for BYU. It's going to be a long season for BYU even with a schedule that's the easiest in all of college football this year.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Aug. 25, 2014 10:31 p.m.

Mr. Diaco "sounds" like a great guy and a great coach, as is Coach Mendenhall. May the best team win. Can't wait for the GAME to be played.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Aug. 25, 2014 10:02 p.m.

I like the positive messages both coaches preach. In the final analysis though, it really boils down to commitment and accountability by both the players and the coaches.

• Taysom4Heisman Heber City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2014 9:14 p.m.

I don't know when Riley Mendenhall and the utes are going to let this year's schedule go. As I've said many times before, a bad schedule does not make you a bad team. A good schedule does not make a good team.

In order to determine how good a team is, you have to look at the win total and the schedule it came against. In my opinion, BYU would perform equally to utah if given their schedule, and utah would perform equally to us if given our schedule.

If utah won the same amount of games as BYU this year, I would quickly admit that they are a better team. But they won't.

Also, our schedules in 2013 as well as everything after this season are very respectable and comparable to a power 5 schedule. This is the one down year.

Back to the actual point of the article, I think both coaches are great people who are good at what they do. I think Diaco will rebuild this team into a successful program. Hopefully that won't start this Friday, but I wish him the best of luck afterwards.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2014 9:00 p.m.

So no matter who wins the game, all the players have the opportunity to win at life! I'll root for the Cougars, but have admiration and respect for the Huskies!. Wish I could say the same about all the coaches, players and teams in Utah.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    Aug. 25, 2014 8:19 p.m.

Riley,

Ouch!

That's gonna hurt every time through the whole season.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2014 7:23 p.m.

"Diaco recently named his starting quarterback, but he brought all four QBs to the press conference so they could be interviewed equally as a reward for competing. "

Also interesting is that their starting QB said that byU plays in a very good conference. That's how much respect and national attention byU gets outside of LDS wards nationwide.

UConn is much more relevant nationally than byU.

Go UConn!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 25, 2014 7:08 p.m.

Riley:
    Whatever you do, don't be original or use the same tired diatribe.

• Riley Mendenhall Provo, UT
    Aug. 25, 2014 6:46 p.m.

Yes they do. It is called having the easiest schedule possible.