Sports

The good, the bad and the most likely: projecting the 2014 football season for BYU

Comments

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Aug. 28, 2014 2:40 p.m.

BYU--bowl eligible

Utah--not bowl eligible

End of discussion.

No spin can change that!

BYU is the University of Utah!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 2:22 p.m.

Chris and Ken...

And Utah's quest for any Bowl Game ended how many years ago?

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 2:00 p.m.

Taysom,

How about you add your predictions for Utah and then I'll add mine for byU and then we'll see who is closer on each.

I think byU will go 9-3 (again with a horrible schedule 9-3 is not impressive at all).

byU very likely may even go 8-4 which is a horrible record with a horrible schedule

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 1:36 p.m.

@ taylormade1

Fair enough. Good luck to your Cougs as well!

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 10:47 a.m.

2ff,
    I must admit i do love your optimistic outlook but reality and Vegas odds tell me that my prediction will be much closer than yours. good luck to you however !

• shorts Payson, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 7:06 a.m.

Chris B

Salt Lake City, UT

What are the 7 games Utah will win?

• EPoint Roy, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 5:49 a.m.

BYU must get off to a good start, play through the negatives like injuries, suspensions, bad calls, difficult travel schedule, weather, whatever other excuses may arise. They are capable of a great season, and due for one, so I'm predicting that, no less than 11-3 on the year, with a bowl win. Go Cougs!

• Lambo Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 3:09 a.m.

10-3 will likely be BYUs record this year and will probably feel similar to 2011, fairly light schedule so strangely 10-3 didn't feel that great. The 54-10 loss to Utah that year overshadowed the 10-win season. BYU is usually on the brink of excellence. We are always pretty good, and often very good but can't quite seem to fully breakout. Always a bridesmaid never a bride. We seem to always choke and throw away an undefeated season often by only a couple plays in two games. Case in point: 2006--Arizona, Boston College down to the wire and 2007 Tulsa and UCLA down to the wire. Then there were other years 2008, 2009, 2011 in which were on the cusp (10-3, 11-2, 10-3 respectively) but had uncharacteristic meltdowns against TCU Utah & AZ-2008, TCU & Florida State--2009, and TCU, Utah then a close one at Texas--2011. So we have always been right there but don't seem to be finishers. Come on COUGS be finishers this year! Our chance when we had a good shot at an undefeated season has been lost in the first 3 games in 06, 07, 09, 11, so we gotta get past those first three.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 9:54 p.m.

@ taylormade1

"I also believe that you really know that 6 weeks into the season all bowl hopes will be gone for the u this year."

Utah will have to lose 7 games for all the bowl hopes to be gone. I wouldn't be shocked to see Utah start 3-3, but I don't think 4-2 is out the question either.

I see ISU, FSU, and WSU as probable W's. Michigan is beatable, as is OSU. UCLA is a tall order, but Utah as taken them to the wire the past two seasons so a win over the Bruins isn't completely out the question either. Still, winning 1 of the last 3 games would set Utah up nicely for the last half of the season.

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 9:27 p.m.

2ff,
    Read my comment again carefully.where did I say they would start out 0-6 ? I will predict this for you,they will be 2-4 at that point. Also,starting with the michigan game they will lose 7 out of the next 8 games on their schedule.way too tough of schedule with no pac12 talent. Let's just wait and see how close I am.

• Fuzz Springville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 8:33 p.m.

Worst case scenario is the Cougars going 6 and 6?
    Are you kidding?
    BYU already has 7 wins. They only have 5 games in question.

• Taysom4Heisman Heber City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 7:00 p.m.

@Chris B

"Utah will go 7-5 because our offense is improved and the defense is usually very solid under Sitake."

You realize utah has 6 nearly guaranteed losses against Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Michigan, and ASU right? Please remember those words you just said. We will revisit it in December. I'll make you a deal:

-If utah wins 7 or more games this year I will personally comment that you were right, I was wrong, and you know more about football than I do.
    -If utah fails to reach 7 wins you personally comment that I was right, you were wrong, and I know more about football than you do.

You probably won't hold up your end of the deal, so I will make that comment for you when you don't. Also, my prediction this year for BYU is 10-2. If you disagree, we can make the same bet for BYU's season.

• Taysom4Heisman Heber City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 6:54 p.m.

@Chris B

"They may also lose to UConn, considering how poorly byU usually plays early in the season under bronco"

We may not be good overall in the month of September, but we are very good in season openers, having won 6 of the last 7.

2007- beat Arizona
    2008- beat Northern Iowa
    2009- beat Oklahoma
    2010- beat Washington
    2011- beat Ole Miss
    2012- beat Washington State
    2013- lost to Virginia

I think that is very clear proof that the Virginia game was unusual. 5 of those 6 wins we had came against power 5 teams. 3 of those 5 made bowl games in the season we beat them.

So while we have a bad history in September, most of that bad history comes from weeks 2, 3, and 4. In week 1, we actually have a very strong history.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 6:32 p.m.

BYU ends up 10 and 2 at worst, "most likely" 11-1, and very probably 12-0! I predict 11-1 a Bowl win pushes them to 12-1 and a top 15 ranking!

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 6:28 p.m.

No Utah won't start 0-6. Let's not be silly, they may be 2-4, maybe if lucky 3-3, but the rest of the season is 1-5 at best! So while technically, it will be game 8 or 9 before the final "nail in the coffin" is confirmed, most will see the "writing on the wall" well before that.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 5:20 p.m.

@ taylormade1

Are you suggesting Utah is going to start 0-6?

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 4:40 p.m.

If I couldn't see my team play every week I would be way freaked out!. I love watching the Cougs play and because they win most of their games its way fun and rewarding to be a Cougar fan. I know it's cool to be in a P5 league, but wow I know I would get depressed real fast if my team kept going 5-7 every year - yuck!. Maybe I'm a fair weather fan but when the Cougs had bad years (past tense), I was almost ready (almost) to start rootin for the Utes (desperation I guess?). Anyway, we'll see how long the "enthusiasm" holds up if the Utes keep having these losing seasons year-after-year and no bowl games to enjoy. How's that go'in to work ya Ute fans?

• Waterton Edmonton, Alberta
    Aug. 27, 2014 4:36 p.m.

Thank you Utah fans for reading and following articles about BYU football, your attention and interest is appreciated. I have to admit I have never even read an article about Utah football, it would never occur to me to do so...I just have no interest, except when they play BYU. I note that State of Utah based fans of BYU likely read about your school....must be an in-state thing. Good luck to the Cougars in the coming season. Being able to watch the BYU games no matter where in the world I am is a great blessing. Wish I could be there to rise and shout. Win or lose, we love you, Cougs!

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Aug. 27, 2014 4:36 p.m.

@Ken, really, 8 or 9 games? Now that's funny. Are you predicting a monumental collapse in the P12 cause that's what it would take to last that long.

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 4:16 p.m.

Ken,
    You are exactly right, the 1st loss that the Y has will put and end to any playoff or big bowl talk for them. However, I also believe that you really know that 6 weeks into the season all bowl hopes will be gone for the u this year. Just way to tough of a schedule to overcome without pac12 talent.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    Aug. 27, 2014 4:03 p.m.

Chris, Utah will win seven games? Who besides Idaho State, Arizona and possibly Fresno State will they beat? UCLA? Michigan? Oregon? USC? Stanford? Arizona State? Oregon state? Colorado, the new pretend rival is said to be much improved as is Washington State. Upsetting BYU again might have added a fourth win but I guess they won't take that chance. I'm predicting 3 wins for Utah and nine for BYU. And, win or lose, I get to see my team play every week. How about you?

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Aug. 27, 2014 3:40 p.m.

10-3 is about where I have them too. They lose to Texas, and UCF and then someone that they shouldn't lose to. (because they lose a game they shouldn't lose every year.) If they go 10-3 or 11-2, that will be good enough to get in the top 25, which will give them some more pup for next year with a tougher schedule they could make a better run at the playoff possibly. With the schedule this year 12-0 doesn't even get them into the playoff. Next year a 12-0 schedule gives them a shot.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 3:38 p.m.

54-10 True competitors know they don't control those things and that every team can only try to win the games on their schedule. They also realize that while there are good wins and bad losses, there is no such thing as a bad win or a good loss. SOS is something people look at only after a team has won enough games to make it pertinent if those were quality wins. If you don't win, you're just another win on someone else' schedule. Yes, those are all things competitors realize, arm chair fans, not always.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 2:36 p.m.

Pavalova,

It will be at least 8 or 9 games before the Rose Bowl is out of the question for Utah. For your team, any run at the playoffs or a big bowl ends with loss #1. After that, your season is over.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 2:14 p.m.

souptwins
    Lindon, UT

True competitors want to test their skills against the best. Not play a weak schedule, make it to a meaningless bowl game and then proclaim greatness.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 2:03 p.m.

I'd be happy with that. Of course, I hope the team is aiming for "perfection" and to go undefeated. If you're not aiming to win every game as an athlete, you shouldn't be suiting up. It's not about being arrogant, it's about being a competitor!

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Aug. 27, 2014 1:22 p.m.

how many games till the run for the roses are over?

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 27, 2014 1:07 p.m.

There sure seems to be a lot of the prediction articles from DN. Crazy!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 12:53 p.m.

Why do Ute fans feel compelled to bash on BYU articles? All it shows is the Ute fans miss the MWC glory days...

BYU will lose a few but let's hope for a good showing this year. I'm excited to see the games. Go Cougars!

• No U Won't Reality, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 12:51 p.m.

Chris,

Actually BYU was tied for 5th with 80 punts last year. Slightly behind the leader Wake Forest with 86. And slightly ahead of Utah with 76. And that is with Utah not running a hurry up offense. So what's your excuse?

• ekute Layton, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 12:36 p.m.

The good -byu beats up the patsies.
    The bad -byu loses to the good teams.
    The ugly -byu loses another bowl game.
    Most likely-Typical byu.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 12:29 p.m.

Uncle,

your hurry up should be fun to watch? Ya, it was fun to watch last year. LOL. Did you guys set a record for most punts in a year?

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 12:17 p.m.

@ Chris B

Thanks again for showing us what a loyal follower you are of BYU football. I enjoy a good chuckle when I read your posts and especially enjoy your obvious sense of humor. I am still waiting for you to share with us why your Uties will go 7-5 this season..

BYU is set up to have a terrific year. The hurry-up offense in its second year should be fun to watch.

• Yankees24 SLC, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 12:10 p.m.

I love Utah fans who like to bash BYU. Last time I checked Utah was way in over their head and coming off back to back 5-7 seasons and is shooting for another one of those this season. Utah may get the money associated with a P5 conference but I'd much rather win and go to bowl games then win a game here and there while being a punching bag for the "Big Boys". With that said, I hope BOTH schools do well this year and represent the state of Utah the right way.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Aug. 27, 2014 12:06 p.m.

Ah, pity the poor Utah fan this year, having to take comfort in strength of schedule (and bare PAC-12 membership), rather than actually winning games, and having to watch the U's away games on what is essentially a pay channel (to the extent it's available at all). So what if BYU doesn't have the toughest of schedules this year, and so what if they can't repeat the upset of Texas? At least they'll have a winning record and play in a bowl game, and at least we fans will be able to see most, if not all, of the games on TV.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 11:37 a.m.

Most likely byU loses to Texas. They may also lose to UConn, considering how poorly byU usually plays early in the season under bronco

That means byU's "quest" for a big time bowl game will be over either game 1 or game 2.

After that it will be tough for players or fans to convince anyone that a slew of games against horrible teams matter at all.

Senior day and rivalry game against Savannah community college? MWC teams have it better than that.

Your quest will be over shortly - better wear those t-shirts while you can!