Sports

High school football: Pleasant Grove rallies past Alta in PG coach Les Hamilton's return

Comments

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Aug. 28, 2014 1:10 p.m.

Parry is a Farce - It's all good. I'm not trying to spin anything...all its just that all I have between Region 3 and Region 4 are those eight games. My point was to say that last year Region 3 and Region 4 are the two best regions in Utah. Last year and this year everyone says that Region 3 is in a class of its own and I simply disagree with for last year and this year. Last Region 3 and Region 4 all met up in the quarterfinals. Even though Region 3 went 3-1 keep in mind that Lone Peak beat Alta, Pleasant Grove was competitive with Jordan and Herriman vs Brighton came down to who had the ball last...Brighton scored with 30 seconds left to take the lead and Herriman was in red zone when time expired. So my point is that Region 4 was closer to Region 3 last year than most people think and I believe this year both regions are even closer in strength.

Herriman lost to Bingham last year by 13 points. Look for Herriman to win this year and if they are unsuccessful in their upset attempt...the score will be within 7 points.

GO MUSTANGS!!!

• Bingham4sho American Fork, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 12:26 p.m.

Without trying to sound bias, Bingham amy be in a class of itʻs own this year. In saying that, if Herriman gives them a run for their money or even beats them, than Region 4 will prove to be the better region period. Last year Region 3 simply had the best 3 teams in the state. That is not the case this year. After the AF/Brighton game, there would be no guarantee that Jordan nor Brighton would makemthe playoffs if they were in Region 4 this year.
    With that said, if Region 4 remains the same in the next realignment, it will even get tougher as Westlake may not quite get there this year, but will be in the mix next year with a talented young core and very good coaching staff that is bringing some excitement back to that community.
    Lehi on the other hand ismsadly reverting back to mediocrity after firing a coach that finally brought some respect to the community.

• Tbirds4lyfe American Fork, UT
    Aug. 27, 2014 10:19 a.m.

@Rebeard
    SF actually beat Salem Hills in an away game last year in their rival game. They return a lot of their best players on both sides of the ball, especially Jason Money who is a 3 year starter at QB and is the most underrated player in the state. SF was a top 3A school that actually played in the championship prior to moving up. Every year top 3A schools beat 4A and even 5A schools (ask Orem).
    The reality is the Tbirds lost 18 starters, including the whole O-line. As long as Covey stays healthy, weʻll have a shot. Defensively, Gabe Reid will anchor practically a whole new defense that was dominant last year.
    Salem Hills returns Gustin and a few of their top players but they still lost to SF. Gustin ,ay be the best athlete in the state (perhaps second to Masina), but Money is the better QB between the 2.
    That of course is my humble opinion as the games will eventually be played on the field.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 7:50 p.m.

In 4A one could say Region 8 is the best league because Timpview took state. But in reality Region 8 was the weakest league in 4A. I think one has to look top to bottom and I think Region 3 and 4 are very close in quality at both top and bottom. Bingham might be the best team but I think teams 2-5 in Region 4 might be as strong or better than Region 3. I guess time will tell.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 10:42 a.m.

Region 4 is a good region, but Region 3 is superior and will have more teams at Rice Eccles than any of the other three. I realize everyone is counting Alta out but Alta was up on PG in the 4th quarter and if not for a fumbled snap by the punter it could've easily gone Alta's way. Herriman may finally get a chance to play on the turf, and AF and PG are good this year, but I don't think Region 4 is as deep or as talented as Region 3.

• RebeardTheFiend West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 7:02 a.m.

Tbird, why do you think Spanish Fork will challenge Timpview and Salem Hills in the region? Are they that much improved over last year? How are their numbers? They are only in their second year of playing 4A ball.

• Tbirds4lyfe American Fork, UT
    Aug. 25, 2014 6:23 p.m.

@Parry

To imply that Alta and Lehi are on par shows you weren't paying attention. Alta was still very competitive with a very good PG team while Lehi got waxed by possibly the worst 4A school in Murray (at least for the past 4 years).
    I thought Spanish Fork would beat WL to be honest as I thimk they will actually challenge Timpview and Salem Hills in their region. Iʻll still reserve judgement on WL until after the Corner Canyon game but that win (and score) against a pretty talented SF team was impressive.
    BigBenzo is obviously a Herriman homer but he's right about Region 4 being the toughest Region hands down. I personally think AF will be the best twam in the region when itʻs all said and done. In saying that, there are 5 teams that can win that region and it probably wouldnʻt surprise to many people.

• Tbirds4lyfe American Fork, UT
    Aug. 25, 2014 2:26 p.m.

Parry, apparently you didnʻt pay attention to the games last week. American Forkʻs coach handed Brighton that win as AF dominated Brighton, especially in the second half. I would take AF in a rematch as they are the better team, no doubt. Lehi lost to Murray and will be the Lehi of old and will be last.
    Let me be the first to aay watch out for Westlake the next couple of years, including this year. They waxed a tough Spanish Fork team 40-20 who were favored to beat them. Thatʻs a young team led by sophomores on both sides of the ball who are in my stake. Remember these names; Chaz Ah You (qb) and Kavika Saanga (LB). They will surprise some teams with a much improved team that is loaded with underclassmen.
    If they give Corner Canyon a run for their money in 2 weeks, Region 4 will get much more inreresting.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Aug. 25, 2014 7:36 a.m.

I think everyone in 5A and in Utah should take notice of Region 4 and thus should take note of the better teams in Region 4 such as Pleasant Grove, American Fork and Herriman. I think last year showed that Region 4 was clearly the most competitive region in 5A and the state. Four teams were tied 1st place and six teams actually could have made the playoffs. I think this year the same holds true...Region 4 will again be the most competitive but I think will fare a little bit better this year again Region 3 in the regular season and in the playoffs.

Region 3 and Region 4 meet eight times in the regular season and I believe Region 4 wins at least five of those contests and I believe Region 3 and Region 4 will all again be paired up in the playoff quarterfinals. Last year Region 3 went 3-1 against Region 4 in the quarterfinals...this year...look for that to be 2-2.

As a Herriman fan...I am keeping my eye on American Fork and Pleasant Grove...both teams are very strong. I believe the October 23rd game Herriman at Pleasant Grove will decide the outright Region 4 champion.

• oremtigger7 orem, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 7:45 p.m.

Adwight...I noticed that it was PG who knocked you guys out of the playoffs last year...Ouch. How that must sting.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Aug. 24, 2014 12:17 p.m.

If by build you mean recruit then yes, PG will be good.

• calpreps Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 23, 2014 4:58 p.m.

@ BigBenzo88: Corner Canyon gutted Alta High School to the point where Alta could be dropped to 4A next year due to student body size. The biggest majority of players that have made Alta so good over the years, have all lived in Draper, south of 123rd South, which now belongs to Corner Canyon. So yes, Alta is not the same team that people are used to seeing. It's going to take a lot of re-building and frankly, I do not think the current coaching staff with Bob Stephans can get the job done. Alta has not been the same since losing Les Hamilton due to some over-involved parents who thought they knew better than Les. I do see Les Hamilton building Pleasant Grove into a 5A power, that everyone will have to contend with. He is that good! As for Alta, time will only tell, if they will ever to be able to get back to the powerful athletic school that they used to be. I sure hope so, because I am an Alta fan through and through! Go Hawks!

• sinkme Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 23, 2014 3:33 p.m.

It's the new High School. Someone just asked why it's so different when comparing Herriman being built and not effecting Riverton. The difference is simply the boundaries. 80% of the kids live in Draper. They now go to Corner Canyon.
    If you look at Alta's boundaries now, there are older homes and residents. Draper has younger families moving into new(er) homes. You can certainly argue that Hamilton leaving helped many of these CC seniors to leave Alta and jump to the new school. But it's really just a case of Socioeconomics and geography. I wouldn't be surprised to see Alta drop to 4A in the next few years.

• A&M Fan Cypress, TX
    Aug. 23, 2014 12:28 p.m.

Kind of sad to think the Black and Blue rivalry may be over. I loved those Alta Bingham games. That was real good football played at a very high level of skill.. and best of all was the mutual respect and friendship these guys had at the end of the game regardless of who won the game.
    I travelled to see that game every year. I wish Alta could come back to that level. Why has Bingham been able to maintain a high level of play when Alta has not. Is it Les Hamilton's departure. I do not know. But I really wish it was different.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Aug. 23, 2014 1:26 a.m.

@Proud to be American - I constantly hear the same thing about Alta not being the Alta of old. Why is that??? Is it due to Corner Canyon??? Are players who normally would have gone to Alta deciding to go to Corner Canyon??? Schools deal with splits all the time and just have to find a way to deal with it. In 2010...Herriman split away from Riverton and Riverton had to simply do the best it could. When I look at the Riverton and Herriman teams of 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013...I think that would have been a scarily good team had they not split.

• Proud to be American West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 10:53 p.m.

Everyone is going to have this urge to pat themselves on the back when they beat Alta. The problem is, Alta isn't "Alta" any more. Get used to seeing Alta lose on a consistent basis. In fact give it one more year, and Alta will be finishing consistently at the bottom of the region in all sports. So before you gauge your team's success by beating a supposed "power", be cautious because this isn't the same Alta as you all know it. In fact, FAR from it.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 10:37 p.m.

Glad to be proven wrong in my pessimism. Way to go, Vikings!

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 8:26 p.m.

PG lost a lot of good players to graduation and won't be nearly the same team. There are good Jr's this fall but few Sr's with much experience. Hard to know what to expect but I'd think next year will be much better.