Family

The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney accepts ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and donates money

Comments

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Aug. 26, 2014 10:20 a.m.

I must have fallen into another dimesion. I'm agreeing with MidwestMom and Gildas today.

Yikes!

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Aug. 25, 2014 8:27 a.m.

I'm puzzled as to why this article appears in the "Family" section of the newspaper.

Still, taking advantage of the confusion, I must say that the article made me think of the Christian teaching that donations should be made "in secret" , not publicly, and that the "widow's mite" means more to deity than the large donations of the wealthy of any, or no, pollitical stamp.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    Aug. 23, 2014 4:05 p.m.

Y Ask Y,

Way to continue the criticism train.

Personally, I wouldn't care if someone used warm water. An arbitrary social rule has no importance when trying to help people. Furthermore, Mitt Romney is an intelligent human being who loves and breaths like the rest of us. If you can't respect something because he's involved, that says more about you than him. Find as many republicans judging a president illogically as you want, but that doesn't justify you in doing the same thing.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Aug. 23, 2014 3:31 p.m.

@65TossPowerTrap

"Romney lost and Obama won..." and America and the rest of the world also lost.

• happymomto9 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Aug. 23, 2014 1:48 p.m.

regardless of your political leanings, i'm soooo grateful that this much money is being raised for ALS. my grandmother passed away from it 14 years ago. it's a nasty, debilitating disease. with this kind of attention, a cure may be found so that none of my children need fear dying from it.

ps. ice cubes are a good indication that the water is somewhat cold. :>

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Aug. 23, 2014 12:22 p.m.

@Mick. I do not care that democrats or republicans voted to go war in Iraq. They were all wrong back then and are still wrong now. I was never for going to Iraq because they did not attack us and I knew that it would do more harm than good.

As far as the wars never being paid for, they have not been paid for. There has not been any sacrifice by the American public other than by the families who have lost loved ones or who have had injured service members return home.

A tax and spend liberal is at least more honest than a borrow and spend republican.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    Aug. 23, 2014 11:04 a.m.

Yes, politicians who do their charitable donations in public are only trying to promote a cause ... their own.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Aug. 23, 2014 9:53 a.m.

I should have added.

Kudos to Mitt for participating.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Aug. 23, 2014 9:51 a.m.

I would never advise a sitting president to do something like this. Irrespective of how we vote, the dignity of the office requires something else. Donation is perfectly acceptable in this case.

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Aug. 23, 2014 8:38 a.m.

Shaun-

Actually the vote to go to war with Iraq was passed in 2002 and called the "Iraq Resolution." And there were several democrat senators who signed it. Chuck Schumer, Hillary Clinton, Harry Reid and Joe Biden.

And we all know the president doesn't have the power to spend money. Its congress. At least that is what you all tell us about the 7+ trillion that Obama has dumped on the debt.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    Aug. 23, 2014 7:22 a.m.

Message from Princess Leah - "You are our only hope, Mitt Romney." Abraham Lincoln didn't give up the fight and America averted destruction. We are in a worse crisis now.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 10:45 p.m.

@Mick. I think most people were behind the war in Afghanistan but I do not recall a vote to go to war for the Iraq war. Somehow it just happened without official Congressional approval.

That being said it still wasn't paid for.

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Aug. 22, 2014 9:57 p.m.

65TOSS,

I assume that means the 90+ senators that voted yes to go to war at the time. Including Hillary.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Aug. 22, 2014 3:49 p.m.

I like Liberal Ted's idea so much that I want to apply it to all those who voted for GW Bush. Those who voted for GW Bush can pay for his 3 $trillion Iraq war debt. Seems fair to me.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 3:35 p.m.

VST
    Bountiful, UT
    "Barrack Obama? A party pooper!"

Mitt Romney? A party for poopers.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 3:32 p.m.

He's just so neat! And Obama is too busy breaking laws that he can't break because the constitution prevents him from doing so but he's doing it anyway because he hates freedom and the constitution and he's a law breaker who breaks the law.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Aug. 22, 2014 2:56 p.m.

To all you sore losers - Romney still lost and Obama still won. Romney seems to have a lot of time on his hands. Maybe he should consider employment.

• SharpHooks Lake Sammamish, WA
    Aug. 22, 2014 2:27 p.m.

I wish people would do this on their lawn. Last night on the news, a high School here had their principal and a bunch of teachers accept the challenge. They were sitting on a bench---10' away was a lawn.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 2:17 p.m.

By the way, the challenge is to do the ice thing and donate 10 dollars or, if you choose not to do it, donate 100 dollars (people are of course free to increase donations if they want). Obama picked the latter option, so he did still participate just not in the fun way.

• don17 Temecula, CA
    Aug. 22, 2014 2:13 p.m.

Post your Ice Bucket Video in California and get fined 500 dollars for violating the drought restriction law! Democrat Governor and Democrat Assembly and Senate! This is the true reality of California. Don't post or you will pay!

Who cares if Mitt Romney did it with Ice or not. He was in a Suit! He did it and donated to charity. How about giving credit where credit is due.

President Obama I am sure will do the Ice Bucket challenge after he gets guidance from his advisors and the telepromtor tells him too! Leading from behind.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 2:12 p.m.

@Chris B
    If he'd done it you'd have said it wasn't presidential. There's nothing he can ever do that makes you all happy.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 1:24 p.m.

Too bad barack wouldn't help raise a lot more awareness.

CAn you imagine how much more awareness he would have brought? TONS!

President Bush did it AND donated money.
    Romney did it AND donated money.

Both of these men could have just donated money, but they realized by doing the ice water challenge more awareness would be brought.

Well barack?

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 12:38 p.m.

@ riverofsun

Obama couldn't do it. It's against the law. Not that a law has ever stopped him before.

Run Romney Run!

I would love to see legislation that takes those who voted for Obama, and let them pay their fair share for all the wonderful ideas and policies they have seen fit to punish us with.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 12:35 p.m.

Who knows whether or not there is really ice water in the bucket? And what's the real challenge if having a bucket of warm water poured over your head?

Such a hoax.

• riverofsun St.George, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 12:12 p.m.

Should President Obama chose to do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, Conservative Republicans posting here, would post a number of reasons that it was the wrong decision of him to do this.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    Aug. 22, 2014 11:52 a.m.

Obama can't do the challenge. It might mess up his golf shirt and get it dirty. And how can you get that birdie if you are shivering from cold water?