Faith

Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use social media to flood the earth with gospel messages

Comments

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Sept. 4, 2014 9:39 a.m.

@ Pendergast

If you haven't noticed there are is a constant influx of data coming at you in today's world.

There are plenty of bad things shared through social media and I think he is suggesting we starting filling in some of the space that is shared on the internet with the gospel messages which help to enlighten, edify, and uplift people.

Also in regards to your confrontational statement which in and of itself is confrontational. It is a lot easier to speak your mind on the internet than it is in a large group of people.

Also I have been to plenty of sites discussing numerous topics and I will agree that some people on there can be confrontational but I won't agree that all of the people are that way.

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2014 11:45 a.m.

re: greatbam22

"1. It increases the probability that people will even hear the message."

Why go for quality when you can go for quantity?

"2. It gives members a easier and less confrontational way to share the gospel."

The social media/internet less confrontational? Go to any site on the internet discussing sports, politics, whatever. Then, get back when you want to recant your theory. I give you about 15 minutes.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Aug. 21, 2014 4:14 p.m.

RE: Serenity, “Most people want to know God or communicate with the Divine and an uplifting message never insults anyone.”
    "the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God” (1Cor 1:18).

RE: The restoration of the gospel?

Yet,the Apostles did not maintain any .O.T. pattern of polygamy and they and the early church condemned it. Justin Martyr (c.160) rebukes the Jews for allowing polygamy2. Irenaeus (c.180) condemns the Gnostics for, among other things, polygamy: " 3. Tertullian (c.207) was also
    explicit: ".-Marriage Lawful, But Not Polygamy. E.g...,

...Ephesians 6:2,3. Honor your Father and Mother”[not mothers/polygamy],which is the first commandment(Not a suggestion) with a promise. God distinguishes father and mother from all other persons on earth, chooses them and sets them next to Himself, occupying the highest place in our lives next to God..

• Sarah C American fork , UT
    Aug. 21, 2014 10:49 a.m.

I think that this announcement from Elder Bednar has potential to bring so much good change.
    With so many people wasting time on social media, bullying others, and trying to create a false impression of themselves; it's nice to see who people really are, who they want to become, and what they believe in.

I think those who take up this challenge will make an impression on others, and help the work spread. Yes, there may be a great deal of "unfollowing" going on. But in this world, where so many people say to respect each others opinions, and to not judge one another, posting what you believe in shouldn't be an exception or an excuse to "unfollow" someone.

I love the idea of this, especially when social media can be used for the worst. And everybody can see what you post. Why not post something that MEANS something, that can give hope, uplift, and help others. By taking part in this, social media will not be a waste of time, and will actually be used in the best way it can.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Aug. 21, 2014 7:37 a.m.

There's a lot of mormons using social media, but we need to use it wisely. We've seen a lot of press about mormon bloggers and activists using it, so why not use it for good instead of carping on your own personal agenda?

The rules of social engagement are being defined whether or not we participate. It's important that LDS members of good faith be involved in defining that through their participation. I see it all the time. When Robin Williams killed himself, my facebook feeds were DELUGED with articles telling me how to think about it, and that feeling betrayed or critical of him was bad. These mass reactions are defining our culture. In the last couple decades we've had the whole socially acceptable way to react to an assortment proclivities that prior were completely taboo.

Whether or not you view those changes as good or bad, is inconsequential to the fact that these changes are occurring, and if something matters to you, like the Gospel, one must speak up to keep it from being dismissed through the lazy pop-centric way social media works.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Aug. 20, 2014 2:28 p.m.

The very first comment I read was "I predict a lot of unfriending going on" Now, why is that? I have been sharing LDS messages on Facebook for a long time and my non-Mormon friends are usually the ones who "like" them more than the Mormons. Perhaps it depends on how you share the messages and what you say. Personal experiences, light or funny Mormon messages are always appreciated. Answers to prayer to problems which you want to share on social media always make a good impression. Most people want to know God or communicate with the Divine and an uplifting message never insults anyone.

• netsrik Draper, UT
    Aug. 20, 2014 12:02 p.m.

The problem I have with this is that there will be people who take the "flooding" aspect to heart. And that is what is going to turn people off and unfriend. It's going to turn more people away than anything else. I don't believe the church, but I don't hate it. Don't make me hate it.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 20, 2014 11:54 a.m.

The presentation by Elder Bednar was explicit in the way to use the social media for the promotion in a personal and significant manner. One needs to read or listen to his 45 minute point by point talk about our Heavenly Father's plan for all His children that are on this beautiful and marvelous world He made. Technology can be beneficial by as Elder Bednar explained it can also be a time and energy zapper for the wrong reasons.

We have to have and use good judgement and too much of anything is not good for our mind or body.

Technology is a gift for good or bad but we have the choice and it is such a great opportunity to do that with marketing, media and experts in all fields. Those helping this program go further and further through LDS Tech and other groups of professional and volunteers is so beautiful to see the results.

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    Aug. 20, 2014 11:31 a.m.

@Craig Clark:

I would absolutely love to hear about how other people's faith has enriched or strengthened them, whatever faith it is. Instead most of what I hear, especially over the internet, are the sarcastic and depreciating chides that cynicism and faithlessness has brought people.

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    Aug. 20, 2014 11:13 a.m.

I just saw "God Is Not Dead" the other night and this article reminds me a lot of the end scene, where concert-goers at a Christian rock concert were encouraged to text "God Isn't Dead" to everyone they know.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, the message needs to go out to the world and we ought not to be ashamed of proclaiming our belief in Christ and his gospel.

On the other hand, I think it's more important to be a Christian example and spread the gospel through acts of service and genuine shows of support, friendship, and love for the people around us--people in REAL life, off-screen. I know one is not meant to replace the other, but I think our actions will speak louder than our tweets.

• laVerl 09 St Johns, AZ
    Aug. 20, 2014 10:41 a.m.

We have all complained about the blitz of "in-your-face" TV commercials, but they continue because they work. Advertisers know the maxim of success--primacy, recency and frequency.
    The Devil works 24-7, so if we're going to have any success, we need to work like the Devil.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2014 10:07 a.m.

There is no end because of Him. I've watched that video 1,247 times (or so). Love it.

• Anchovey Provo, UT
    Aug. 20, 2014 9:19 a.m.

What a great talk, Elder Bednar gave! I was trying to get "off the grid" but, apparently, I must humble myself and get in there! The Gospel is true and it is one of the bright spots in the Earth today!

• Mark C Gilbert, SC
    Aug. 20, 2014 8:59 a.m.

It's not so much the posting of my testimony and that of others, it's sharing with my particular friend community, fine quality, well produced gospel messages on my page. I have had only positive comments from non-LDS friends as I share church videos. From this, I believe my friends "hear" and feel my personal testimony without my being bombastic or trite.

• garybeac Chapel Hill, NC
    Aug. 20, 2014 8:51 a.m.

I have high hopes for the future of the Church with Elder Bednar's help. An issue with social media is that it is also the vehicle of consumerism, self-absorption, envy, and ultimately, decreased self-esteem. I have no idea how to change this, but I believe that it's a challenge that Elder Bednar recognizes and wants to meet. I think that the You Tube title. "Humans Need Not Apply" is a good starting place for a family/neighbor discussion about rapidly evolving technologies and how we can prepare for them.

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Aug. 20, 2014 7:14 a.m.

@ Ernest T. Bass

Not it isn't the same thing as knocking on doors. Sharing the gospel through social media puts the message out there for people to read whenever it is convenient for them.

In my mind it does a number of things:

1. It increases the probability that people will even hear the message.
    2. It gives members a easier and less confrontational way to share the gospel.

I had some other points too but I will just leave it at that.

• greatbam22 andrews afb, MD
    Aug. 20, 2014 7:02 a.m.

@ netsrik

"I predict a lot of unfriending going on."

I have shared quite a lot of stuff and not noticed people unfriending me. I realized though that I feel a better place to do this might be through a blog. Occasionally I share a post from my blog on Facebook.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 20, 2014 6:35 a.m.

The Readers Digest promotions the Church had were great tools for the time in the late 1970s. The computer accessibility for more than just data input was great for processing the scriptures to what we have in 1978-1979. At that same moment, Satan had his designs and has taken full advantage with his luring and enticing.

Social media can be a blessing for people all around the world that haven't had restrictions imposed by their governments. People have an impact with family members and even unknown friends through so many methods today. Thinking of 49 years ago and the slow mail in foreign countries from the USA took 3 weeks to get a letter and if responded to quickly another 3 - 4 weeks for a response, one almost forgot what was said. To be on a mission now and have FaceTime, FaceBook, and even e-mail to communicate with family and share one's testimony is a blessing. The missionary may not have full access but the family can share those experiences with a boat load of others that care about that missionary, including non-member family members.

The Lord has a plan and our USA has people from all countries.

• Church member North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 11:11 p.m.

I am totally fine with my Mormon friends and neighbors who are constantly trying to convert me to their faith.

I just wish they wouldn't get hurt and offended when I tried to convert them to my belief system.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you send an army out into the world to convert them then don't call people evil and of the devil when they try to convert you to the belief system that makes them happy.

• Moracle Blackshear, GA
    Aug. 19, 2014 10:57 p.m.

After we were first encouraged by the brethren to use Social media in spreading the gospel, many LDS friends obediently began to sign up and use it.

However, most don't use it to hasten the work, or promote spiritual and uplifting ideas. Instead, they post pictures of food, themselves, and their families, for others to "like". They also spend much time searching postings to "like" pictures of others.

It has caused me to wonder if people feel a narcissistic need for the approval (liking) of others so much that they are willing to spend hours posting pictures of themselves and family, to be "liked".

Just as TV and movies can be a good thing or a bad thing, social media runs that same risk. It can be a self-absorbed, time-wasting, meaningless activity or it can be a blessing to the lives of others and ourselves. We must choose; but too many I fear are choosing to use social media to feel "liked", rather than promote the work of the Lord.

For those who worry they may be "unfriended" by sharing spiritual messages, I simply say: "Follow the brethren and let others respond according to their agency."

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Aug. 19, 2014 9:55 p.m.

Elder Bednar said nothing about harassing or inflicting guilt, etc. Most of the people I know can't communicate without some sort of social media device; so why not use this to share our feelings. I get enough crass sharings and postings on my face book account - many that our family filters block to begin with. So why not spend more time posting uplifting things.

And if people choose to 'unfriend me', fine. There are so many 'friends' on my account that never directly communicate with me anyway - they just pass along the same old things over and over again - what Einstein would have considered insanity. It's simple. Those who don't appreciate are free to block it. At the same time, we could stand to learn a bit more about tact and appropriateness.

• John Locke Ivins, , UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 8:46 p.m.

As far as Satan hastening his work, you only have to look around at the world to understand the elevation of his devastation. He is using the media as well as all of the electronic devices available, to entice people to be the worst kind of human. Why shouldn't the Mormons preach peace and the love Heavenly Father has for them? They are preaching the truth; he is advocating total discord and destruction.

Keep up the good work...let the detractors, detract.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 8:41 p.m.

Chris: Actually it IS doing the same thing over and over. Social media is the TV ads of 20 years ago. It is attempting a slightly different type of knocking on doors.
    It is what Einstein spoke of.

• CDM1525 West Point, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 6:34 p.m.

I understand trying to share your beliefs because it is something that you feel is right. It goes to far when people don't get the hint. I finally had to get pretty blunt with my neighbors because I am not interested and I felt like they had the full court press on especially when the Ogden temple opened up. Now everything is really awkward. Why can't LDS be friend just to be friends? If someone wants to find out more about the religion I'm sure they will ask. It is really frustrating.

• StringFellowHawk Blaine, Wa.
    Aug. 19, 2014 6:23 p.m.

If they real friends, then they shall not 'unfriend' you, they will have respect for what you stand for and what you believe, and even if they are only 'acquaintances', they will still, at least respect you and your beliefs. I know a number of LDS people who, tho they do not share my beliefs, still respect me because I stand up for what I do believe, just as I them,for the Lord gave us all free agency, to choose as we see fit. Although we all make mistakes, and there are consequences for bad choices, the Lord still loves us, just as we should with others who not of our faith. They are still God's children, and as such, we should still treat them with kindness.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 5:10 p.m.

Craig Clark,

Not true, at least for myself and in my experience. At least with myself and fellow members of the LDS Church that I know. Yes, we believe it is important to share what we believe to be the true Gospel message. But we generally also are welcome to hearing from others what they believe. I personally greatly enjoy hearing, and respecting, the beliefs, or lack thereof, of all others.

• joepemberton SLC, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 5:06 p.m.

For me this feels like an invitation to think differently about social media and be an influence for good in the world. I love what he said about being authentic. Not about preaching, not about confrontation with people who think or believe differently. Just an invitation to be honest people sharing the good we see in the world.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 4:53 p.m.

I don't mind the occasional testimony or gospel related link from my facebook friends, but if it get any more pervasive it will start having the opposite effect. An occasional strong testimony is, well strong, being spammed with dozens of them on facebook has the opposite effect, almost removing the power or strength of the message.

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    Aug. 19, 2014 4:38 p.m.

>>Social media is only going to make the believers proud, the doubters embarrassed and the non-members shake their heads with wonder.

I think the statistics that Elder Bednar shared on the Church's social outreach programs don't support those conclusions; and thus far, the Church is seems to be trying to use these new tools to help non-members see what we have in common with other Christian faiths, instead of highlighting the differences. For example, the "Because of Him" video the Church released at Easter was a message that any believing Christian could appreciate; and the Church's Bible videos series is equally non-denominational, as it's based strictly on the text of the King James Bible. That's the key to making it a useful tool, I think.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 4:13 p.m.

Ernest,

This is a clear example of NOT doing the same thing over and over.

And I'm not even Mormon - but apparently you didn't understand the article.

• bj-hp Maryville, MO
    Aug. 19, 2014 3:21 p.m.

As Elder Bednar stated: "The Lord is hastening his work." At the same time Satan is also hastening his work because he knows that the time is nigh when the Savior will return. This is not a catch phrase or anything like that. The truthfulness of the Gospel must be spread through out the world by all of the Lord's people. Those that have covenanted with him to preach the Gospel truth to all the world in his Holy House are responsible. As President McKay so well put it, "Every member a missionary!!". It is time for members and missionaries to unite together to press forward with the GOOD NEWS of the restoration of the Gospel through the Prophet Joseph Smith. We given our solemn promise that we would do so. We are millions upon millions strong and if we work together with the missionaries we will flood the earth as prophesized by ancient and modern prophets. Once this flood begins no unhallowed hand will be able to stop it as it will indeed cover the entire earth. It will fill the earth so that no one can say they didn't hear it.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Aug. 19, 2014 3:21 p.m.

Religious folks seem to have mixed feelings about gospel messages. They know it’s their sacred duty to share their own beliefs but can barely tolerate hearing someone else’s.

• SharpHooks Lake Sammamish, WA
    Aug. 19, 2014 3:19 p.m.

Please remove me from the list

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 2:59 p.m.

Knocking on doors is a tiny fraction of 1% effective for missionaries. It simply doesn't work when considering the cost and man hours.
    The message doesn't come close to making sense for most people who weren't raised in it and makes sense for less than half of those who were raised in it.
    What did Einstein call it when people do the same thing over and over then expect different results?

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    Aug. 19, 2014 2:49 p.m.

>>Wasn't that to be done by the great numbers of LDS missionaries throughout the world?

Sharing the gospel has always been the responsibility of all members of the church, not just the missionaries.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 1:31 p.m.

I watched this live this morning. It was an outstanding presentation with video clips. I recommend it anyone and especially to those who might offer comment on this post.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 1:25 p.m.

While some people will find offense at any kind of religious message, most people will find genuine, uplifting, and personal messages as something good.

I would certainly enjoy reading a message from a good friend who is not a member of my church that explains how their faith has enriched their life. But if every message was laced with a bunch of quotes and cut-and-paste messages from their church magazines, it would probably be a turn-off within a short time.

Just like email which can be a great way to communicate with lots of people, social media can be a blessing or a curse. No one wants to be SPAMMED by tons of messages from people they barely know. We need better data filtering mechanisms to sift the wheat from the chaff.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 1:01 p.m.

It's wonderful to share the Gospel message in any way we can but the current use of social media by the world in general is purely a waste of time. It's a fine line for an LDS person to walk in using social media but not wasting time, and we're currently wasting way too much of our time. And I work for a company that relies heavily on social media...

• ThornBirds St.George, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 12:55 p.m.

• Michigander Westland, MI
    Aug. 19, 2014 12:45 p.m.

We in The Church of Jesus Christ (WHQ: Monongahela, Pennsylvania) water the earth with the true restored gospel message using only drip irrigation as the modern Israeli farmers do.

• netsrik Draper, UT
    Aug. 19, 2014 12:39 p.m.

I predict a lot of unfriending going on.