Sports

BYU's offense 'too sloppy' in scrimmage

Comments

• J Poll Gilford, NH
    Aug. 18, 2014 9:34 p.m.

We were sloppy in the blue zone last season. We'd look great until then. Someone would jump offside or other mistakes would stall the drive. Need to pin down the starters now and refine everything. UCONN will be well coached. We need to be better coached than they.

• cougarsrock Springville, UT
    Aug. 18, 2014 7:02 p.m.

Utetology,
    Let's do talk. How bout sporting news has Taysom hill ranked as the 14th best football player in the nation. Did you get that, not the 14th best QB but the 14th best football PLAYER in the nation !

• CougOrUte..Naah Nibley, UT
    Aug. 18, 2014 10:06 a.m.

BYU fans are making too big of a deal of a somewhat shakey performance by their offense. While I am not a big Bronco fan, he is a good coach. The chances of BYU going to Connecticut and having another "Virginia Disaster" are nil. Cougs will go into Connecticut, put up some huge numbers, and come home winners. Taysom will have a big night both running and passing and the Cougars will end the season being ranked in the Top 20 with a 10-2 or 9-3 record. Laying the base for a Top 10 ranking at the end of the 2015 season. Not a big Cougar fan, but I seriously see that is how it is going to play out. The only potential problem is their SOS. The guys that vote may see it as a little weak for a top 10 ranking. Anyway good luck to the Cougars from an Aggie. Only be rooting against you for one Friday night in October.

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Aug. 17, 2014 9:53 a.m.

To all those Cougar and Ute detractors....

I understand the temptation to give into "Fanatical Frenzy" how easy it is to give into vilifying and demeaning others. Yes it can be all in good fun. Sadly FUN seems to rapidly descend into hate and a dehumanizing blood lust.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for these boy's regardless of what color they are wearing or what mascot they have.

The degree of the physical and emotional energy that each player and his family and loved ones experience is weighed and measured on an emotional scale every week. Let's not take lightly the tender emotions of these families. Lets stay above the debasing attacks and deliver a more compassionate FANATICAL FRENZY!!

• kokua KAYSVILLE, UT
    Aug. 17, 2014 9:23 a.m.

I was underwhelmed with Friday night.

With that said, I know that it was a scrimmage nothing more then that. I knew I would not see a polished machine at work. It was obvious that the boy's wanted to tweak and fine tune what they have been working on in camp thus far in the pre-season. Full speed was not going to show up Friday night. It is time to scoop all the rocks back into the "Rock Polisher" and clean it up.

As I sat two rows back behind the team, it was apparent that Taysom and Mitch Mathews (as if we are buds) looked to be in incredible shape. It was good to see. Both will be getting a lot of attention from opponents that will want to take there heads off.

It is to be expected that Defense will shine in an inter-squad scrimmage. I like to think of the last few weeks before game day as the working out kinks and getting your game face on.

Exciting times!!!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Aug. 17, 2014 8:45 a.m.

That's why they call it "practise." I guess the team up north is so good, they don't need to practise?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 16, 2014 8:19 p.m.

Max-was-right
    springville, UT

Gotta be fun playing for a team that you know will get you to a bowl game each year. Going 2-7 in the pac ten would be very depressing!!!

---------

How depressed were you last year when BYU went 2-5, including yet another loss at home to Utah. Utah should give BYU a 2-1 deal, LES is like a home game for us anyway.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 16, 2014 8:16 p.m.

taylormade1
    Springville, UT

Stinger bell ,,

----------

Why wait, please talk. This should be interesting.

According to CBS Sports he's currently listed as the 20th QB prospect, good luck.

Wilson is #24.

Source: 2016 Top NFL Draft Prospects: Quarterback (updated 8/14/2014)

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 16, 2014 8:11 p.m.

@BigCougar

Where's your "fair and balanced" analysis of Tyson Hill's scrimmage performance, you couldn't stop talking about Wilson's poor first scrimmage.

* Hills QB rating this scrimmage: 98
    * Wilson's first scrimmage: 109

As I said, Wilson was horrible we might just lose to Idaho State if he continues to put of Hill like passing numbers.

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 5:47 p.m.

Stinger bell ,,
    How about you and I talking about Taysom at the end of this season when everyone is talking about him jumping to the NFL early ! You can count on that right now ! As far as qb,s at your school up north, ah not on much ....

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    Aug. 16, 2014 4:49 p.m.

Bronco, let me start by saying I am a big fan of yours.

I admire greatly where you have brought our BYU football program... but... I'm pleading here... un-suspend those players. BYU may need them badly! Don't underestimate UCONN like you did Virginia. If we lose to UCONN, The suspensions will devastatingly punish not only the suspended players, but the whole team, punishing those innocent fans looking for a great season with a big bowl game as a cherry on top. Punish them, YES, but make them run stairs every day, or do a lot of up-downs, or work it out in some other way than putting the whole program at risk for their errors.

Don't leave us with a loss (that may still be unlikely, but losing to Virginia was also unlikely) just because we left too many valuable tools in the woodshed! Be prepared to give all you've got!

• IrieUte west valley, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 3:27 p.m.

You can't lip synch your way through the season cougars!

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 1:08 p.m.

• cougarsrock Springville, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 1:07 p.m.

2013 ute seniors !

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Aug. 16, 2014 12:47 p.m.

U-tar I love the Cougars but I must admit that you are right. Red-diehard is right too. This has never happened to me before...Ute fans are looney, but what could explain this...I notice my blood was red....I'm not worried, by mid season the Cougars will be ready.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 12:32 p.m.

Before we get too excited about Christian doing well, the reporter doesn't indicate which defense Christian went up against, the 1's or the 2's. It's common practice for the #1 QB to go up against the #1 defense and the #2 QB against the #2 defense. It's easy to think the backup is the better QB when he's going up against less experienced players who are a bit more hesitant before reacting.

It's great to have a competent backup and that's what we should be taking away from this.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 12:14 p.m.

Well if you believe the Utah fans, the Cougs offense will struggle - but consider the source for that!. I for one am glad to hear the defense played well. Without a strong defense a good offense will not be able to win games alone. I think this offense will do just fine against UCON. I hope the Utes can handle Idaho State - but not so sure about that?

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 11:45 a.m.

I think they will need a #3 QB too hopefully they won't have to go deeper.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Aug. 16, 2014 11:08 a.m.

Re: Taysom4Heisman "You guys have enough problems up on the hill. Taysom has looked like Jameis Winston when you compare him to Travis so far."

Sorry, Taysom has never looked like Jameis Winston regardless of who you compare him to. You're defending his lack of ability to pass accurately with "wait until he's able to run". That's not going to help his accuracy problems. Travis however, is doing just fine. His accuracy problem last year was a mangled hand, which will heal and get better. I don't think Taysom's accuracy problem can be "healed". Maybe change your name to Stewart4Heisman?

• Koloss Hampton, VA
    Aug. 16, 2014 10:58 a.m.

Let's hope this doesn't lead to BYU being UConn's sole win over an FBS opponent much like last year's dismal loss to the eventually 2-10 Cavaliers.

• arod Ogden, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 10:24 a.m.

I was very concerned about Taysom's ability to throw downfield. I don't see accuracy. I don't see confidence with any passing he does longer than 5-10 yards down field. I get the idea that "go fast, go hard, go deep" in effect means look 10-12 yards downfield instead of 5. He looks confident in his leadership role, but downfield passing is a weakness that may leave BYU very one dimensional against good teams---and that spells lack of points. That left me lacking optimism about winning games at Texas, Central Florida, or Boise State. Those 3 road games will spell the difference between an average season and an outstanding season.
    Unless they can get something going with a tall receiver that they just throw it up and hope he can consistently come down with it, then downfield passing is more hype than reality. Im not optimistic that will change much in just a few weeks. Didn't see anything last night on covering punt or kick returns (perhaps to avoid injuries). That can be a huge problem for BYU historically---remember Washington. Hopes for a top 15 ranking are probably a pipe dream.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 10:14 a.m.

So its going to be another year of try and go fast, punt lots?

Can't wait to watch byu's "quest" end before almost any team in the nation, and before any power 5 team when they lose their first game!

• Taysom4Heisman Heber City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 9:34 a.m.

I look at some of these issues much differently than most people.

1) Yes, Christian Stewart appears to be moving the offense better right now, but let's remember that the QB's don't run much in practice, and when they do, the defenders just have to touch them for a tackle. Once the game starts and Taysom can run, he will move the offense more effectively than Christian. Christian is a good runner but he is nowhere near Taysom's ability.

2) The offense did not look great, but any fan who consistently follows spring or fall camp for any team knows that this is the part of camp where the defense usually out-performs the offense. They have become so familiar with the play-calling tendencies, personnel, etc. that they can cheat a little bit. This is simply a part of fall camp. I'm glad the defense performed well, I was worried about the D-line and our inability to stop the deep ball.

@U-tar

• red.diehard Central, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 8:39 a.m.

Sounds like last year.
    The year before that too.
    Then again there was the year before the year before...and this sounds like that.
    Sloppy offense = status quo at the y.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    Aug. 16, 2014 8:20 a.m.

Good news from the scrimmage, BYU appears to have a very good backup quarterback ready to step in if Taysom gets hurt.

• BlackDiamond Provo, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 6:34 a.m.

Stewart looked like a better QB in that scrimmage. I just hope that the coaches will do something if Taysom won't deliver.

• JinaYi87 Norman, OK
    Aug. 16, 2014 12:42 a.m.

Taysom Hill, still wearing a wedding ring as he plays? What! You gotta get that thing off my man.

• RonBergundy SANDY, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 12:41 a.m.

Pre-Riley Nelson era, Stewart would have been the starter over Taysom. The kid is accurate, goes through his progressions, and can throw the deep ball.

• U-tar Woodland Hills, UT
    Aug. 15, 2014 11:23 p.m.

Not to worry, they won't be ready for the regular season either.