Sports

High school football: Bingham Miners 2014 preview

Comments

• A&M Fan Cypress, TX
    Aug. 17, 2014 4:26 p.m.

I was at the Trinity Game. Bingham played well and anyone that was at the stadium that day knows full well the game was much closer than the final score . The dynasty Bingham is just now starting could be amazing. we are lucky to have Bingham in the State. They bring credibility to the state. Keep in mind until a few years ago the only time a High School athlete was ever featured on the cover of sports illustrated . was when Bingham High School's Bruce Hardy was on the cover in 1974. Over the passed 90 years Bingham has racked up over 30 State baseball championships. thats 1 in 3 I am not sure how many basketball championships they have but you have to give credit where credit is due. I did not attend Bingham but I do admire excellence. And Bingham is that.
    I look forward to watching another great year.

• HSFAN Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2014 8:45 a.m.

I know there are several sources for HS football rankings, but nationalhsfootball recently ranked De LaSalle the best football dynasty. Trinity was #2, Don Bosco Prep #5, Bishop Gorman #8, Bellevue #15. Bingham was #31. I listed some of the teams that have been mentioned. Utah teams have played some of the best. One thing that jumps out is that almost all of the programs in the top 50 are private schools. Bingham is one of the few public schools.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2014 4:14 a.m.

lancer3622 - Trinity won the 5A-1 title that year (highest division in TX) go look at their playoff scores. I think they scored in the 60s and 70s. They refused to come back to Utah to play the next year. I watched the game and a wide open Langi dropped a sure TD catch that would have cut the game to 7 in the 4th. The comments about Trinity letting off the gas and how they could have scored 60 are crazy. They scored a late TD and I was expecting them to try an onside kick. They were going to do all they could to try and blow out a banged up Bingham team. Keep in mind they had several key injuries from Alta the week before and the 3 hour hard practice the Sat before. Trinity reloads every year and has won several State titles.

• Baller183 South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 2:42 p.m.

Cam is definitely a good pick up. First team defense seems to always shut down first team offense. The big plays in the blue and white game came when first offense was going against second team defense. It was like that last year too, however, and the offense really ended up doing well when it counted. It's good they have such a good defense to practice against. Coach Peck said in an interview that the secondary this year is the best he's ever coached. That's saying a lot. With returning starters at both corners and safety they will be pretty lock down. Looking forward to next week!

• lancer3622 west valley city, ut
    Aug. 16, 2014 12:22 p.m.

@plyxpy, I stand corrected. I don't know how I forgot about that double header at the Rio Tinto stadium. Don Bosco, definitely, is the highest profiled program to ever play a Utah Program. St. John Bosco, at the time was making their assent into the national platform. They are even better now then they were when they almost lost to a great Jordan team. As you stated, BG and Bellevue are along the same level as the two Boscos. I am all about these opportunities to play nationally recognized programs. In order to be nationally relevant on the national level these opportunities need to continue happening. Bingham agreement with BG is a home and away. East's game with Valor Christian is a home and away. Timpview and Pleasant Grove play in the Brother in Arms Classic against 2 California teams. Alta's game with Bellevue is a 1 yr deal. Jordan plays against Cherry Creek, a Colorado power. American Fork plays against a national power as well. A lot of exciting high profiled match ups, a trend which I hope will continue in 2015.

• SouEu South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 15, 2014 10:35 p.m.

I just came from the Bingham blue/white game. The running back (Cam Smith) from Colorado is great, but then so is that Marsh kid. It looks like they will have two great running backs. They are totally different style of runners. Cam is strong and has great break out speed, and although Marsh seems small, I think he's one of the smartest running backs that Bingham's ever had, at least the smartest since Harvey Langi. The way Marsh moves reminds my a lot of Scott Nichols from last year. I think that these two can be a powerful combination. Both have excellent hands as well. They can be great offensive weapons and if the offensive coach is creative and knows how to mix the two up, they will be hard to stop.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Aug. 15, 2014 3:28 p.m.

lancer I disagree. Alta played Don Bosco Prep a couple of years ago and that team was coming off 2 of 3 National Championships, so while I agree Bishop Gorman is a top tier program I'd say Don Bosco Prep, as well as St John Bosco (Jordan) and Bellevue (Alta's opponent this season) are equally as well respected nationally as BG.
    With that said a Bingham win over BG would be their biggest out of state win ever.

• lancer3622 west valley city, ut
    Aug. 13, 2014 10:11 p.m.

The Bingham vs Trinity game was competive for about 2 quarters and a half. Trinity started to pull away at the end of the 3rd quarter. The interesting thing about the match up, was that Trinity was a young team that year. They weren't even rank that year nationally and were not even ranked in the top ten in Texas. Bingham's team was essentially the same squad who would run the table the next season, completing what many people thought as the most dominating football season ever in the history of Utah high school football. While I do believe that Bingham can compete with anyone in the nation, Utah still has a long way to go to compete consistantly with the national powers.

Oh and regarding the Bellevue vs Alta match up. It will be a blow out. If this was the Alta squads of the Leslie Hamilton era, they might be able to compete against a premier program like Bellevue. Bellevue will win this game by at least 30 pts.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 3:48 p.m.

The move in from Colorado is a beast! I watched the scrimmage as well a couple weeks back and was thinking "Who is this kid?" I was expecting to see the Marsh kid and then this kid was killing it. I feel kind of bad for the Marsh kid, but from what I hear they have plans to use him also.

• CMO Beaver Beaver, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 2:43 p.m.

I watched the Trinity/Bingham game on TV, maybe Texas rules had a little play on it, but it looked to me like Trinity could have scored 60 in that game if they really wanted to, they were bigger, faster, deeper and stronger... but it is a lot bigger school too

• SoJoBoy South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 12:29 p.m.

One thing is for sure, they have WAY understated the value of the transfer from Colorado, Cameron Smith. That kid is a stud player. I watched the 7 on 7 camps during the summer and the scrimmages against Lehi and Herriman a few weeks ago. He stood out as the best in all of those. Granted, some of the bigger studs in the state were missing from the 7 on 7, but of the kids that were there, Smith was the best. I was shocked to see that he got only a little blurb in the paper.

• HS Sport Dude Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 12:16 p.m.

I attended the Bingham versus Trinity game since I had tickets to the OU BYU game. The game was much closer than the 42-21 score. I'm not one to point to officiating but in that case the penalties and yards were way out of line until in the 4th quarter a bunch of meaningless plays (example: Bingham defense having the Trinity QB wrapped up for a 15 yard sack.....then a flag comes out for a holding penalty against Trinity. No loss for Trinity on this one)

Bingham matched up on size and power quite well with Trinity but there were only a couple of Bingham players that could run with the Trinity guys. Bingham probably had the fastest player on the field with the Anderson kid (spelling Anderson or Andersen??) and another speedy guy in McCrae (Sp??) but Trinity had another 7-8 guys of similar speed.

With the speed and a cutting down defenders Trinity gained a bunch of yards around the side where the Anderson kid was not at. The strong safety (I think McCrae was his name) stopped many of these after 5-10 yard gains with great play. Speed, rules, and officiating were the issues at that game.

• lancer3622 west valley city, ut
    Aug. 13, 2014 11:23 a.m.

@Feliz, a BIG DEAL should be made out of the match up with Bishop Gorman out of Nevada. This is an entirely different program than the one you are referring to in the early 2000's. This will be the highest profiled opponent, that any Utah High School team has ever played in the history of Utah high school football. Spokane Ute, has already posted Bishop Gorman's insane football schedule. But it is nothing new to their program, ever since Coach Tony Sanchez took over at the helm, they have sought out the best competition, which has translated to playing multiple out of state opponents, due to the lack of competition in Nevada. This will be a great measuring stick for Bingham despite their own national profile. Sher klan pointed out the blow out by Bishop Gorman over Dixie in 2009. Another illustration of the changes Coach Sanchez has brought to their program. It helps that their boosters have some deep pockets to help their rise to national stardom. As for the Lone Peak rivalry. Talent wise, Bingham is back to where they were during their championship years. No contest for the next couple of years.

• dchabc313 Boise, ID
    Aug. 13, 2014 10:58 a.m.

If i wanted to say Bingham was scared, then I would of said Bingham is scared. I just think it would start a great rivalry. Lp Doesn't have alot of returning talent this year but they know how to get things done. And there is alot of talent this year, we just just need to see if they will play well together. Last year it took a couple of games, but they went of to make it to the semis again untimely losing to Bingham.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 13, 2014 10:22 a.m.

@ CMO

I didn't realize Bingham lost that bead; 42-21. I stand corrected. Although Bishop Gormon, and Valor Christan, don't have the large student body; they both have the recruiting factor involved. It will be an interesting matchup; from what I read, the Valor Christan game was great last year. California, Texas and Florida seem like the top HS states. However, there is a team here in Washington (Bellevue) who has, and can play with anyone; including California schools. They play Alta this year.

• CMO Beaver Beaver, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 9:43 a.m.

Bingham was thrashed by Trinity Euless, but Trinity is a 4500+ student body school vs Bingham, which at the time was probably around 2300 student body...not apples to apples. Bingham with their current run of talent would probably do pretty well in their proper division in Texas. Not saying they would win it all, which is really hard in Texas for any team, but they would be a playoff team easily

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 13, 2014 7:21 a.m.

Feliz

I think Bishop Gormans numbers speak for them self. If stating the facts regarding the team is a "big deal" then so be it. Their numbers and record is quite impressive. I think Bingham will give them all they can handle. They certainly played Euless (sp) Texas straight up a few years back.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 11:58 p.m.

Jazzer I think it would be a lot closer series than you think. Lone peak has beat them 2 of the last 3 times and those teams were not slouches. I'm pretty sure the series is tied or Bingham May have the overall lead by a game but I don't know how to check. I'm with dchabc I think it would be a great series. For some reason lone peak finds a way to get it done (with the exception being last year). It's the classic speed vs. strength matchup and would be a fun one.

• sher khan La Verkin, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 8:51 p.m.

In 2008, Dixie barely lost to Bishop Gorman 20-14 in overtime but were blown out 48-14 in 2009. Dixie's history on this website shows that they played Thoreau, New Mexico which is an error.

• Feliz Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 4:52 p.m.

A lot of people seem to be making a big deal out of this team from Nevada. I realize that you can't always compare past performance to current success but I believe in the early to mid 2000s Mountain Crest played Bishop Gorman and beat them handily. If my memory serves me right Bishop Gorman supposedly had all kinds of D1 talent and Mountain Crest still beat them easily. A top notch team from Nevada is not the same as a top notch team from Texas or California.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 4:16 p.m.

This year's defense is going to be awesome! The new RB from Colorado is legit! YES! Football is back!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 12, 2014 3:49 p.m.

I'm suprised they didn't say a little more about week 3 opponent Bishop Gorman. They are ranked #1 in the USA Today poll, have won 5 straight State Championships, return 11 starters and play six games against out-of-state foes, including three teams in the Super 25 rankings: No. 19 Servite (Anaheim); No. 23 Bingham (South Jordan, Utah) and No. 2 St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.). Yikes!

That's going to be a Huge test for the Miners.

Go Bingham!

Class of '82

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 3:14 p.m.

I am no Bingham fan, but I do hope that you are not implying that Bingham is afraid to play Lone Peak. They have never run from anybody. Back when the state was Bingham, Alta and a bunch of teams trying to catch them, they played during the season whether they were in the same region or not. Their non region schedule this year is pretty tough: Davis, Herriman, Bishop Gorman, even Hunter should be tough this year.

• jazzer St. George, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 3:05 p.m.

It would be a blow out

• dchabc313 Boise, ID
    Aug. 12, 2014 1:48 p.m.

I wish Bingham would schedule games with LP being one of the only teams in the state of Utah to beat Bingham. I fell they could start a great rivalry.