Sports

BYU basketball signee Nick Emery returns home from LDS mission because of medical condition

Comments

• IkeN Hemet, CA
    Feb. 7, 2015 9:46 a.m.

Get well soon, Nick, and best of success in whatever you choose to do afterward.

• Zim Ontario, CA
    Aug. 9, 2014 10:03 a.m.

I hope Nick will recover swiftly and I especially hope he will try Chiropractic prior to any surgery. It will work better for this than just physical therapy. seen great results with chiropractic.

• Lamman Nampa, ID
    Aug. 8, 2014 4:02 p.m.

I am a Therapist and have successfully treated bad cases of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.
    If the nerves are not past repair my success has been a result of releasing tension in the muscle tissue in the peck muscles and just under and against the clavicle. It can be painful but it has always been worth it. Good luck I am sure he has the best medical care.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Aug. 8, 2014 1:10 p.m.

big samoan, I hope that Nick comes back and regains his health 100% and continues playing at a high level. If he were to have big games and thump the Aggies I would be happy for him as a person that he overcame this problem, but still wouldn't be cheering for the team to win. There can be both. My disdain and lack of cheering comes from years of living with the holier than thou attitude by so many byu fans.

• slickvic313 Nampa, ID
    Aug. 8, 2014 12:18 a.m.

If Nick or anyone that knows him sees this, I hope he will find a good Chiropractic practice and see if they can help! In regards to the number of missionaries coming home early, part of that could be strictly due to the higher number of missionaries who are serving...proportionately higher. But going straight from high school to the mission field without ever having been away from home before could be tough! Mom and Dad are there constantly one day and you can't even talk to them on the phone the next!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Aug. 7, 2014 9:12 p.m.

@Sports Nutz
    Smithfield, UT

"...byu is not a team that I care to see win in any sport, anytime...Actually I look down at byu with disdain."

Not sure what caused you to have so much disdain for everything BYU or anyone playing for them for that matter but I appreciate your wishing the young man a quick recovery anyhow. If he ends up playing for BYU after all I hope you won't regret that you wished him well. Btw, it's precisely that kind of BYU hatred that makes me wish and want them to win in every sport they compete in.

Go Cougars! Good luck Utes and Aggies!

• JohnMill Australia, 00
    Aug. 7, 2014 7:19 p.m.

This young man has shown that he is prepared to make big decisions, to sacrifice and to serve the Lord. Turns out his mission was not to last for a full two years.
    No one could ask any more of him.
    I hope for a speedy and thorough recovery and wish him well for the future - whether that lies on the basketball court or somewhere else - and am sure everyone else does too.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 4:28 p.m.

Sports Nuts - swing and a miss! Yes, I said "we" lets go back and read the sentence.

"In fact I'd say 90% of BYU fans I know support USU, if/when we ever care to watch their games" As 99% of the population would see, the "we" clearly refers myself and other fans - no comment whatsoever insinuating I am part of the team. Swing and a miss again! Keep looking at BYU though, since no one's ever looking your guys way.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 3:13 p.m.

Actually I look down at byu with disdain. I am speaking for myself, not any other Aggie. You on the other hand saying "we" when speaking about byu (as if you are a part of their team/teams)and actually believing that "you" speak for all of byu, is quite funny. GO AGGIES!

• WhyAmIhere? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 3:06 p.m.

Best of luck on a speedy recover Nick. Take care of your health issues and the rest of life will fall into place in its own due time.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 2:48 p.m.

Sports Nutz, I'm just pointing out its interesting you say "As a USU fan its tough to ever root for anyone at BYU" which clearly implies your affiliation with USU is what causes you to dislike byu so much. I've noticed many other aggies feel the same. I'm also just pointing out its interesting that BYU fans rarely think of the aggies or care much about them. In fact I'd say 90% of BYU fans I know support USU, if/when we ever care to watch their games. Its just funny how one sided the relationship is. You guys clearly look up to BYU with disdain. We rarely if ever give much though to USU at all.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 2:07 p.m.

JP you should really pay attention to what is written. I didn't say USU fans never root for byu. It's tough for me to root for them!

Sports are fun, I have no idea who byu fans talk about and really don't care. I also have no idea who the players from any school consider rivals and once again don't care. byu is not a team that I care to see win in any sport, anytime. It's just my opinion and has nothing to do with wishing Nick the best. That's just wanting a kid to enjoy his life and be healthy and happy regardless of where he goes to school.

• JP Chandler, AZ
    Aug. 7, 2014 1:25 p.m.

@Sports Nutz
    USU fans never root for BYU? Weird. A lot of us BYU fans root for you guys all the time. On that note, best of luck to Chuckie this year!

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 1:20 p.m.

I have experience with this disorder. I hope he doesn't need surgery, but he may - better to deal with it now.

• AZBlue Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 7, 2014 1:04 p.m.

JD Books may have a point, but the reality is there is no reason an 18 year-old cannot handle the stress and rigors of mission life. Sadly, in my profession, teaching at a college for more than 20 years, there has been a very noticeable change in students, especially in just the past 10 years. Much of the blame, IMHO, goes to parents who have no expectations for their children to do work around the home (or elsewhere). In addition, many of these kids have never had to share a bedroom or bathroom with a sibling, let alone another person.

For the record, I realize this story is about an entirely different issue than what I am talking about.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 1:00 p.m.

Best wishes for a complete recovery.

Thank you for your service.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 12:53 p.m.

Sports nuts, funny you have such strong feelings against BYU. I hardly ever cheer against Utah state. I don't remember much talk of usu ever while I was at byu. I still don't hear much about them or talk about them with fellow byu fans. It's very much a one way obsession between usu and byu. We are your rival is that right?

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 7, 2014 11:27 a.m.

Here's to a successful and compete recovery for Nick.

• JD Books Sulphurdale, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 9:34 a.m.

The church is seeing more and more come home now due to the fact that at 18 many are not emotionally ready to deal with the stress and rigors of serving.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 9:14 a.m.

@Flashback & southmtnman - REally? Why don't you tell President Thomas S. Monson, what was his excuse for not going? What I am saying, it is non of our business. All I can say to Elder Nick Emery for a quick recovery and good luck what you do.

• southmtnman Provo, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 8:55 a.m.

I'm hearing of a lot of missionaries coming home early these days. Some for medical reasons, but many for other reasons. I wonder why?

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 7:23 a.m.

Fix him up and send him back out to complete his mission.

• bigirish OREM, UT
    Aug. 7, 2014 5:56 a.m.

Seems like the first question that would have been addressed is what BYU fans are thinking - can he still play basketball with the condition or with whatever treatment it takes to resolve it if possible, therapy, surgery or what - and how long the recovery. Or am I ahead of the game? Can't help but think about this though, and hope for his complete recovery. Stuff happens, even on missions. I had a son come home early with undiagnosed depression and bi-polar, a pre-mission condition but not evident until the stresses of missionary work and language learning and which is harder to take care of, as a mental health condition, not physical like Nick's. How soon can this question be addressed about Nick at this time, or how much time will it take, how much medical attention, to talk about future prospects?

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 11:58 p.m.

Sorry to hear about the medical issue for Nick. I'm sure he blessed many lives in the year he served. Good job, Elder!!
    I am curious how this will be handled as far as basketball goes. Will he have to use a red shirt year should he enroll in school? Will the treatments/surgery allow him to attend school? I would imagine it would not allow him to play ball. Whatever those details are, good luck to him in getting it taken care of and completely healed.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 10:25 p.m.

I hope he can have surgery and recuperate quickly, does any one know anything about this condition and the prognosis??

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 7:59 p.m.

That's sad and tough. Thank you, Elder, for your service. You blessed people's lives. Best wishes in your recovery.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 7:00 p.m.

As a USU fan it's tough to ever root for anyone at byu, but having had similar neck problems I am wishing the best for Nick. Hopefully, he will have a long basketball career. Good luck Nick.