Sports

Utah Utes football: Travis Wilson expresses regret over concert situation

Comments

• UTE88 Sandy, UT
    Aug. 6, 2014 12:24 a.m.

This is a sad day for Wilson's parents and they will lose sleep over this. Parents know the dangers of trivializing a serious situation.

Here a few stats taken from a study done in 2009: 1,825 students lost their lives due to alcohol related injuries; 696,000 students were assaulted by another student who was drinking; 25% of all college students report academic problems directed related to drinking; 400,000 students reported they had unprotected sex while under the influence and 100,000 did not remember if there was consent by either party; 3,360,000 students drove while under the influence.

It is unlikely that Wilson will be another statistic but he made a choice that could in the long run be more damaging then the medical condition he fought so hard to beat last year. He is already part of the 110,000 that will be cited for an alcohol related offense.

Other Universities require students cited for underage drinking to take a course on alcohol risk. Utah and all other Utah Universities (including BYU) should do the same.

• zmillion2 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 5, 2014 6:36 p.m.

I think the U has handled this perfectly. As a BYU fan I normally like seeing the U go through public embarrassment. However, this really is a very insignificant issue. A suspension wouldn't have been warranted. Travis has learned a very valuable lesson. He now understands that he is in fact a marked man and EVERYTHING he does will be publicized. Wilson won't lose sleep over this. Just a little bump in the road, he'll be fine.

• Cougar_Trojan_Spurs_Fan San Diego, CA
    Aug. 5, 2014 2:37 p.m.

Two For Flinching
    Salt Lake City, UT

"The real crime here is that he was at a Tim McGraw concert. Shame on you Travis."

Best comment I've seen on here in a long time. My day just got a lot happier. Thanks for the laugh!

• MurrayMike Murray, UT
    Aug. 5, 2014 2:20 p.m.

Guess BYU isn't the only college player to have their hands slapped! Go Cougars!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 5, 2014 2:03 p.m.

Sorry stringy but if it was a "non issue" he wouldn't have been cited, whittingham wouldn't have had to "handle it internally", nor would there be any press with wilson making a public apology. I do enjoy how you and vegasute just couldn't accept my opinion that it was a "minor" issue, not a "non issue" and that by all accounts it was handled well by wilson and whittingham and this is the last we need to hear of it but that is what happens when I reside so firmly and permanently in both of your heads. lol

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 5, 2014 11:18 a.m.

Seriously? We're arguing semantics here? Can a person's conscious decision to take an action still not be a mistake? And, aren't most "minor" issues "non-issues" in reality? Digging deep to come up with something negative about the situation, don't you think?

FWIW - the article on Jamaal indicates that there was an event or action AFTER the underage drinking incident which caused the one game suspension. To me that indicates that absent the subsequent action/event, Jamaal would not have been suspended. I, personally, would not criticize Jamaal in the least for the suspension. I respect the kid for being a stand up guy and taking responsibility head on, unlike the kid from Arizona who chose to leave the team rather than take accept the consequences of his actions.

Let's move past this on both these kids.

Good luck to Jamaal, I hope he has a great career.

I look forward to watching Travis grow as a player and as a leader.

Go Utes!!

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Aug. 5, 2014 10:28 a.m.

Sorry Duck, but a 20 year old college student having a beer at a concert is a "non-issue". Yes, technically we have tens of thousands of "criminals" throughout the United States at every college campus, including BYU but there's no serious redemption required on his part. He made a mistake, apologized and is ready to move on.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 5, 2014 9:04 a.m.

"It was obviously something that was a mistake but his leadership is very good"

Huh? K Whitt just contradicted himself in a single sentence.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 4, 2014 9:58 p.m.

@Duckhunter

I agree with you. I got a chuckle from part of your comment (you seemed semi-serious). Talking sins of omission vs. sins of commission relative to Travis Wilson's use of vocabulary is digging to deep based his usual language patterns. You know what I mean? I don't think Travis searches too hard for words to match any given context when answering media questions. It's the usual "I just need to" and "we just gotta make sure" ect...

That said, since I was talking about digging deep; I submit Travis does do that on the field. He has had injuries and setbacks the last couple of seasons but his toughness and heart on the field is all there. I hope as Ute fan that he can grasp the offense under Christensen and have a breakout year.

I do cringe at Wilson's comments sometimes as put emphasis on vocabulary. He's not Talmage, but Wilson's instincts and decision making on the field just might be good enough to lead the Utes. After all, we had a Hall of Famer around these parts who wasn't splitting atoms. KaMalone gotta do what KaMalone gotta do.

• Halfwolf West Valley City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 9:21 p.m.

I'm pretty sure Travis wasn't the only minor that was drinking at the concert...hmmm

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 8:49 p.m.

I do like how travis owned up to it. I don't like the word "mistake" in a case like this, it wasn't a mistake, it was a choice but I realize that is splitting hairs. The fact is he owned up to it and say's he'll never do it again and that is good enough for me. Unless there is some punishment coming that will need to be reported this should probably be the last thing we need to read on it.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 8:24 p.m.

Re: BYUalum

Read the Williams article. His undearage drinking was one the issues. It said there was another issue, which we don't know.
    Maybe the other issue is why he got suspended.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 4, 2014 7:27 p.m.

@Lifelong Ute

Amen

@BYU Alum

A big boo from where I sit in the comment section. What I am reading from you falls in that category (grey area) where some people (me here) get real turned off from what sounds pretty uppity.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 7:03 p.m.

I think both Wilson & Williams owned up to the mistakes they made and showed great maturity and class given the situation. I hope both learned something from it. I agree with some others that we as fans need to back off and look at the big picture. Both of these guys are good football players but also good upstanding men as well. Like Wilson said, it wasn't like him to do what he did. He owned it, showed remorse, and will move forward. I suggest fans do the same.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 6:46 p.m.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 5:56 p.m.

And like I said, I don't like byu fans getting after Travis. And I likewise didn't like the many utan fans getting after Williams.

I have no reason or justification to demand Williams be punished, and neither did any other Utah fan that brought it up. And I don't here for TRavis either.

I wish Utes had acted differently when it happened to Williams and I wish cougars acted differently now.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 5:54 p.m.

BYUalum,

In case you weren't aware, underage drinking is against the law. If you want to get all preachy about holding people accountable, then people can actually be held accountable even for things they didn't sign up for - like the law. Travis broke the law even if he didn't sign anything saying he was going to obey the law. But its a given at most colleges that the rules include not breaking the law.

In both Williams and Travis case, the law breaking was over something insignificant. So no harm done either one. The fact that Williams said "I wont break the byu law" doenst change anything - unless you're suggesting people hold be held accountable to laws they've promised and signed to obey.

In which case - I can break any law I want since I've never signed anything saying I wont break the law? Good try buddy.

• Irrelevant Provo, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 5:25 p.m.

Let's just play some football

• redthunder Ogden, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 5:09 p.m.

phoenix

I never said it wasn't a crime. I said it was a non issue. Should it be reported whenever a student athlete gets a speeding ticket or a parking citation? So please don't put words in my mouth.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 5:06 p.m.

Lifelong Ute and lifelong Mormon: The difference is the BYU Honor Code which Williams willingly signed and pledged to abide by. It called, "holding someone accountable" in case you don't know. This will build character in this young man, and he has expressed as much. The Utes are not held to the same high standard, so it is no big deal for the Wilson incident. 'Nuff said!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 4, 2014 4:16 p.m.

Very, very Minor, take from some one who knows; . . . a Bingham Miner!

Such a non-issue. At least in 49 states.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 4:15 p.m.

RedThunder, Life long Ute

Actually it is an issue because the media is making it so. Wilson made a choice to drink a beer at a concert knowing full well he was under age and breaking the law. He also knows full well he is a celebrity and therefore held to a higher standard by default. Travis handled it well with the media and professionally with KW - internally.

In the end, Just like Jamaal Williams, Travis is a much better person for owning up to the choice he made and he learned in a public way that choices have consequences.

For me, it's not the beer or the law but rather the choice and the accountability. Go Travis! Go Jamaal!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 4:14 p.m.

No it wasn't a "non issue" so don't try to pretend it was. But it was a minor issue and I'm sure whittingham addressed it appropriately. But trying to minimize it to the level of a speeding ticket makes a poster look clueless. it is actually a misdemeanor whereas a speeding ticket is an infraction so they are not the same thing at all. A speeding ticket is not a crime, underage possession and consumption are crimes.

So if you want to say it was "minor" I'll agree, if you want to claim it is "non issue" then you are simply showing your crimson clouded assessment of it.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 3:39 p.m.

As long as Travis didn't drink and drive it's a lesser issue potentially. However, if alcohol consumption is followed by driving under the influence this may place many persons at risk for serious injury and/or death. Drinking alcohol is a very serious concern if it is not properly managed. As one who has a couple of alcoholics in the family, I have witnessed first hand the profound negative consequences that can occur. In the case of one family member, he started with just "a beer" and it grew into just a lot of beers and a serious addiction. After several DUI's, jail time and thousands of dollars in fines and other consequences, I can tell you having a beer is something that should be carefully cared about. That said, I hope Travis learned a valuable lesson and acts responsibly going forward. I wish him a successful season as the Utes Quarterback. Go Cougars!

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 4, 2014 3:22 p.m.

Issue resolved. Let's move on.

This will be a break out year for Wilson!

Go Utes!!

• Tomahawk Red San Francisco, CA
    Aug. 4, 2014 3:20 p.m.

Glad to see nothing was made of this.

Some might try and criticize the school and Wilson for getting only a slap on the wrist here, but it's not because Travis really deserves more punishment.

It was a very minor mistake... basically the same as if Travis would've been cited for speeding.

No further action was warranted.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 3:19 p.m.

I'm a lifelong Ute and lifelong Mormon who agrees its a non-issue, and I thought it was a non-issue when Williams from BYU was caught doing the same. Its none of my business if either of those guys has a drink before different sets of rules state they should. They don't owe me or anyone else an apology and I wish fans of both sides would leave both of them alone on this issue.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 4, 2014 3:10 p.m.

redthunder

So by your definition, a crime is only a crime if you happen to agree with the law.

Is that really the message you want your team leader sending to the rest of his team?

• redthunder Ogden, UT
    Aug. 4, 2014 2:53 p.m.

Such a non issue. So the man had a beer! Who cares? The government is more than happy to accept 18 year olds enlisting into the military and putting their lives on the line but heaven forbid they have an adult beverage. Don't beat yourself up over it Travis. More importantly, just stay healthy this season. Please.

Go Utes!