Family

Chris Hicks: Mormons popping up all over TV these days

Comments

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2014 9:44 p.m.

References to Mormons crop up in many many modern novels. One writer, P.D. James, has a reference to them in almost every novel she's written. Intriguing to me, and I would like to know why.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Nov. 5, 2014 7:58 p.m.

morpunkt,

That is how we approach it out here too. We let folks get to know us before revealing we are LDS. It allows them to get to know us without some of the prejudices getting in the way.

• CMO Beaver Beaver, UT
    Oct. 30, 2014 9:58 a.m.

great! smiling white shiny happy people

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    Oct. 26, 2014 2:52 p.m.

I think it is because the film and TV industry has a fascination with us to some degree or another.

@morpunkt "...that I am a likable guy." LOL That's hilarious! Nice backhanded compliment. Thanks for dispelling THAT myth. (smiley)

• Spellman789 Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 22, 2014 3:55 p.m.

I thought the reference to Mormons on Cheaper by the Dozen was funny. The mom goes all out on her young son's birthday and the dad mumbles something like, Why didn't you book the Mormon tabernacle choir?.

• snowman Provo, UT
    Aug. 3, 2014 12:26 a.m.

MORMONS ARE not polygamist and polygamist are not mormons

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Aug. 2, 2014 9:04 p.m.

I have the opportunity of meeting many people on a one-on-one basis, at my job, working in health care. After getting to know them, I often subtly drop hints about the fact that I am LDS. I find it amusing. Sometimes they are shocked, because I dispelled the myths they pictured about my faith. I am told that I am a likable guy. Hopefully, my obtuse missionary work is helping, one person at a time. Although I don't consider myself as the ultimate paragon of Mormonism, I think I have helped, in my own little way, in this great big world.(We cannot rely on the media to help us.)

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 5:05 p.m.

Maybe NBC affiliate--KSL, will start carrying Jeopardy if Ken Jennings takes over for Alex Trebek when he retires?

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 2, 2014 3:14 p.m.

Just wondering where can one watch Jeopardy? The local NBC affiliate, KSL, doesn't broadcast it.

Is this comment acceptable to the moderators?

• Pops NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Aug. 1, 2014 7:19 p.m.

There's also "They Call Me Trinity" (1970) with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer. Trinity falls in love with two Mormon girls, so Trinity and Bambino help defend the Mormon farmers against some baddies that want to drive them off their land. The Mormons look more like Amish or Mennonites than anything else.

Oh, wait, that wouldn't be "these days" unless you're old like I am.

• kattawn ,
    Aug. 1, 2014 4:14 p.m.

And don't forget the movie "Paint Your Wagon" (although not new) where Lee Marvin "buys" one of 2 wives of a polygamist! (LOVE that movie!)

• jmoscynski Norfolk, VA
    Aug. 1, 2014 3:02 p.m.

My wife is watching the show Coach on Netflix. One of the episodes Haden and his wife Christine are arguing about married people with families. If I remember Haden says. "Tell me one couple with kids are happy? Other than Mormons". I thought it was pretty cool.

• Anonymous100 Anywhere, UT
    Aug. 1, 2014 12:35 p.m.

The TV show "Cold Case" had an episode about a special needs "Mormon" young adult. I don't remember all of the details, but they got a lot of facts wrong and basically ridiculed the church and church members in general. I never watched another episode after that. The TV show "Wings" also had a Mormon reference.

• snowman Provo, UT
    Aug. 1, 2014 11:40 a.m.

What's wrong with a mormon being in the news or in movies and on tv

• Pinoy Mormon cebu city, 00
    Aug. 1, 2014 3:45 a.m.

Lately i also watched an episode of Falling Skies, Season 4 episode 5 wherein Mormons are mentioned of having a food storage for 7 years and being known for not drinking alcohol.