Sports

AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud that our teams are playing BYU'

Comments

• Former Coach Payson, UT
    July 31, 2014 10:53 a.m.

@David Haymond,
    Perhaps you are correct, I like your analogy with the fat girl. You probably need to read more of the boards before you make the delusional comment. I think both fan bases have their bad moments. I think it is every bit as delusional for BYU fans to think they are superior to Utah because Utah goes 2-7 in the PAC 12 while BYU goes 8-5 against a bunch of cupcakes and yet still lose to Utah. Now I will be the first to say that I think BYU is good enough to belong in a Power 5 conference. I don't think they are good enough to dominate or finish in the upper level of a Power 5 conference on a regular basis. What you failed to mention is that a second fat girl (BYU) did not attend the party for whatever reason and then she turns around and starts calling the first fat girl fat. The banter on these boards goes both ways just depending on the subject.

• DuckInSLC Sandy, UT
    July 31, 2014 10:37 a.m.

Holy Moly:
    Hey a fellow Civil War fan! Are you a Beaver or Duck? Nice to see someone else who's into that rivalry on these broads!

• holy moly Herrmian, UT
    July 31, 2014 9:14 a.m.

David Haymond, I think your comments are off base. Utah was not invited to the PAC-12 because they were bad. If that were the case, why not invite someone who loses every game?

I am not originally from Utah and was amazed at the anger between the fanbases. I was used to the Oregon/Oregon State rivalry which was heated, but not hate-filled. Your comments feel like they come from a BYU fan and not someone independent of the rivalry.

I think the truth is Utah and BYU have taken their turns being quality programs. Probably both have risen to fairly equal levels. Utah was deservedly invited to the PAC-12, but I believe teams like Boise St, BYU, and probably TCU were considered and would have been deserving also.

I believe BYU's independence was a result of Utah's invite to the PAC-12. I expect Utah to compete in the near future. Maybe even this season. I think they're much better than their record. I also expect BYU to continue getting better, although their ceiling may be lower because of the self-imposed honor code and the number of recruits this eliminates.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    July 31, 2014 8:06 a.m.

@Phantomblade......."Utah fans are obsessed with BYU. In fact, the only time they even talk about their own team is when they're comparing Utah to BYU.

It's what little brothers do."

Yet here you're making another comment about the utes...LOL Pot meet Kettle

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    July 31, 2014 7:46 a.m.

@taysom has 0 chance for heisman....."So, contrary to your theory, you can very much get into the P5 by dominating "a bunch of other weak SOS midmajors. You just need to throw in 1 or 2 bigger wins, which we have the opportunity to do."

Well at least you're one cougie fan that can admit the cougies are a mid major that utah dominates.

• deductive reasoning Arlington, VA
    July 30, 2014 10:35 p.m.

Naval Vet

Two 11+ win, Top 25 finishes in their entire history.

Yes, Utah fits the bill perfectly as nothing but a two-hit, flash-in-the-pan program.

---------------

"Religion had nothing to do with it."

Who's fooling who here? Larry Scott hurriedly invited Colorado to join the conference in the middle of the night to shut Baylor (a religiously affiliated school) out of the Pac 10 / Big 12 South merger. Anybody who was even a casual observer of the goings on during that frantic period knows that Larry Scott acted to avoid a repeat of the Texas legislature forcing the Big 8 to take Baylor when the SWC folded.

• utefever kaysville, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:17 p.m.

This is quite funny and honestly not very flattering. You get a compliment from the AAC commissioner. It is like getting a compliment from the MAC or the SunBelt. You are 2-5 against the Pac 12 since 2011 when Utah joined. And by the way, 3 (2 at home) of those losses were against the Utes who you continue to put down as a bad team. What does that make you? Oh, wait, it is coming to me, a MID-MAJOR now and forever.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 6:34 p.m.

@ Bluto

Ute fans don't walk around thinking we are Oregon, Alabama, etc. Nor do we pound our collective chest about our self-proclaimed legacy, unlike yourself. If BYU had "half" the legacy its fans think it has it would have been invited to the SEC 10 years ago. But there you sit, on the outside begging to be let in. Your national games come on the weekdays, or when you play a marquee team like ND or Texas. btw, BYU's game at ND was their lowest rated game of the season. Temple had higher ratings against ND. Let that sink in. Where was your national brand on that one?

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 30, 2014 5:00 p.m.

@TwoFur

Ninety percent of the so called P-5 programs, don't earn anything on the field.
    If College Football had "Relegation" as do the Soccer Leagues of the World, Utah would have already been demoted to a lower division, while BYU will always be top tier.

Well over half of the teams in "P-5" leagues simply ride others coat-tails and serve as the Washington Generals of their respective leagues .. That be U.

Memo to all Ute fans...

You are NOT...Oregon, USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, Stanford, ASU, Washington or Florida State...Never will be!

No, "U" are the the Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Duke, Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland and Washington State's, of your league.
    Six good years in 50 does not a Legacy make.

Nobody in the know, in College Football, will ever think that Utah is a more prestigious program than is BYU. Their Legacy was indeed "Earned on the Field" and not by ironing on a new Conference Patch.

Just check and see who gets National Games on the Major Networks and who does not.
    BYU has Legacy and a National brand, "U" never will.

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    July 30, 2014 3:45 p.m.

Label BYU however you want (though "mid major" is a basketball term), we're considered big time. Some P5 schools schedule us to beef up their schedules while others dodge us because of the wear and tear our physical play causes. Losing to us, because of our non-P5 status, is potentially harmful for their season. Non P5 schools love to have play us for their exposure on ESPN networks and the big payday.

We, on the other hand, can schedule whoever comes a-knocking. The bigger the better; we'll even do a 2-for-1 if your elite enough. When the college football sands shift next, we may be in a good spot to get an invite. We'll wait and see. Winning is all we can do for now, other than ensure good exposure for recruiting purposes.

Go Cougs!

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    July 30, 2014 3:43 p.m.

Frankly I'm glad that BYU is a mid-major team. I would not want to be a mid-major team playing in a P-5 conference, because then you end up like the Utes - a mid-major team with annual losing records and no bowl games. As the great Dirty Harry once said - "A man has got to learn his limitations."

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 2:02 p.m.

"Thanks Mr. Aresco for voicing what most of college football already knows. BYU is big time."

This is an interesting tactic that BYU fans are starting to use. They're just going to start calling themselves a P5 program without (arguably) earning it on the field. IMO BYU is a solid mid-major program, but they haven't been able to get their program to jump to that next level. They were really close in 2006 though.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    July 30, 2014 1:23 p.m.

@ASUCOUGIE..."Wait, I thought BYU burned the bridge with the AAC. That's what the Utah fans are saying. You mean the Utah fans are wrong? How could that be?"

I'm a Utah fan, I have never said that? Wait how could ASUCOUGIE ever be wrong?

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    July 30, 2014 12:43 p.m.

RE: MyPerspective

"Then you shouldn't be in the middle of a discussion between byu and Utah fans."

He wasn't. He was in the middle of a discussion between BYU fans and BYU haters (i.e. trolls). And there's a difference between "Utah's membership in the Pac-12" which many BYU fans probably do thing would be nice, and "envy of Utah" which implies we'd like to be the doormat of the PAC12. I don't know a single BYU fan who is envious of Utah's position within the PAC12.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    July 30, 2014 12:40 p.m.

AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud that our teams are playing BYU'

What else is he supposed to say. When none of the large programs want to schedule BYU or the AAC, there is nobody else but each other and "pride" is all we got.

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    July 30, 2014 12:38 p.m.

Another nightmare article for the Ute fans. They wake up and go straight to the Deseret News Sports section. Click on BYU, not on their Utes. See that BYU is getting some more kudos from someone who knows sports, politically and on the field.

Then they have to defend their insecurity for 3+ pages. No, they're not the lil' brother at all. BYU is. lol.

Go Cougs!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 12:30 p.m.

David Haymond
    Phoenix, AZ

"I don't know anything about envy that BYU has towards Utah so I can't comment on that. Maybe that is the case, I just haven't followed."

Then you shouldn't be in the middle of a discussion between byu and Utah fans. Utah's membership in the Pac-12 is enviable to byu which is the point, here, on local media boards. byu fans spin some mighty tall tales to explain their standing in CFB. That is the focus of these discussions.

Utah fans are well are of the Utes' pathetic record in the Pac-12 and where we stand. Again, the discussions in local media between Utah and byu fans have nothing to with Pac-12 teams. You colleague has done a dis-service to you by suggesting otherwise.

btw...it is disappointing to see that type of comment from a USC alum. I was under the impression USC fans were classier than that.

• mufasta American Fork, UT
    July 30, 2014 12:29 p.m.

All this discussion as to whether BYU is a "P5" program is funny. That will shake itself out in the future based on how we play. We have good recruits and a good coach. It is not a situation we are in control of but we are doing the best job we can given the position we are in. I personally like being independent as I like playing teams from all over the country. I know I will get mocked for that comment by everyone here that knows everything I should know but I do like going to the games in different parts of the country and meeting BYU fans and new opponent fans. I personally think it is an exciting time to be a cougar. Go Cougs!

• DuckInSLC Sandy, UT
    July 30, 2014 12:29 p.m.

David Haymond:
    "There are a lot of PAC-10 alums in my office and they agree. The key for Utah is to stop the delusions that they are relevant and embrace their status as the fat girl…."

Well speak for yourself Trojan. I also know many PAC12 fans having just moved her from Eugene. I don't share your assessment of Utah. It is my humble opinion that Utah will be more competitive in the near future as they build their program. I also think eventually the money and recruiting will help Colorado. Fight On!...through those scholy restrictions and probations.

As for the animosity in this rivalry, I agree it's crazy. I never thought it was this heated before moving here. I respect BYU and think they have a quality program. I also think BYU success helps Utah and vice versa so why they hate each other so much, who knows. But Utah deserves to be here, so lose the fat girl jokes.

• holy moly Herrmian, UT
    July 30, 2014 12:20 p.m.

@Chris B

Wrong. First of all, I am not BYU and second of all your "NONE of us think you are P5 quality" statement is ignorant and annoying.

Perhaps you should read the Des News article titled: "Arizona vice president of athletics Greg Byrne considers BYU a Power 5 opponent."

You ask "What reason would those conferences not have to call byu p5 quality, if they thought byu was?". In a nutshell, the SEC would be admitting the PAC-12 is playing tougher competition. I'm not talking about 1 or 2 games as you indicate in your post. BYU has 18+ future games scheduled with PAC-12 teams. The SEC has far fewer.

I appreciate different opinions, but yours wear on me. Mostly because they are belittling and expose your prejudice. I understand the rivalry drives this in some people on both sides, but for the life of me, I can't understand why putting people down makes some people happy. Its a character trait I mostly associate with adolescent bullies. A trait I never want to have.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 12:11 p.m.

65TossPowerTrap
    Salmon, ID

"My, my, my. It seem that some of our friends from the local P-5 college are sure obsessed by all things BYU. We thank you for your interest and concern in our schedule."

And Utah fans want to thank you all for the continuous stream of lies and misrepresentations that bring us to the byu boards. The entertainment value of absolutely off the charts.

Rise and pout...

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    July 30, 2014 11:42 a.m.

My, my, my. It seem that some of our friends from the local P-5 college are sure obsessed by all things BYU. We thank you for your interest and concern in our schedule. However, you may want to direct some of that obsession to your P-5 team. Back-to-back records of 5-7 is rather discouraging. Is it possible that your team is really nothing more than a mid-major playing over its head in a P-5 conference? Kinda looks that way.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 30, 2014 11:36 a.m.

Just the FAX:

"Do you really think that the PAC 10 was so naive that a couple of flash-in-the-pan seasons is all that it took to convince them that Utah was a power conference level program?"

Utah was invited to join the Pac-10 back in June of 2010. By that time, the BCS just completed its 12 season. Twelve years = a couple of flash-in-the-pan seasons? That's 10 winning seasons, 9 consecutive bowl wins (to 0 bowl losses), and more wins over BCS league opponents than any other non-AQ school.

Nope. Not "flash-in-the-pan".

"The truth is, Utah happened to be the best available, research-oriented, non-religiously based program within close proximity of the PAC 10 television footprint."

Religion had nothing to do with it. You made that up. You can't say, "The truth is...", then follow that up with a lie. Don't kid YOURself.

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 30, 2014 11:33 a.m.

"They believe Utah fans should just ignore BYU"

LOL!

It's what little brothers do.

• David Haymond Phoenix, AZ
    July 30, 2014 11:33 a.m.

To MyPerspective:

Regarding your following comment, "I work with a lot of Pac-10 alums and welcome the Utes to the fold", that was my entire point. We welcome you because you lose. Remember, the fat girl gets invited to the bar with the good-looking kids. She didn't crash the party, she was invited. We invited you to our party.....just stop fooling yourself that you are one of the good-looking kids. By the way, maybe you are better than BYU because they are going stag to the bar (or maybe aren't going at all), but they don't appear as delusions as you all.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:17 a.m.

David Haymond
    Phoenix, AZ

Nice sentiment from a byu fan. I share these comments with colleagues from USC as well. They don't understand why byu fans think everyone wants to be like them. They believe Utah fans should just ignore byu. Tough to do with the envy byu has toward the Utes and 40 miles of Interstate.

I work with a lot of Pac-10 alums and welcome the Utes to the fold.

Interesting, isn't it.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 30, 2014 11:14 a.m.

Some facts to digest;

* BYU is the only Utah team to win a national championship
    * BYU wins more then half their games
    * In recent years, BYU has defeated Oklahoma, Oregon, Arizona, and Texas.
    * In the past seven years, BYU has played in more bowl games then any other Utah team.
    * BYU has more television coverage then all other Utah teams combined.

Hmm? BYU is the University of Utah.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    July 30, 2014 11:13 a.m.

Naval Vet

"We got into the P5 because Utah and TCU were ranked #1 and #2 in non-AQ teams beating BCS level teams."

Don't kid yourself.

Nothing more.

4-5, 3-6, 2-7 proves that Utah wasn't invited to the PAC because they expected the Utes to actually be competitive with the big boys of the conference.

• AZBlue Gilbert, AZ
    July 30, 2014 11:11 a.m.

"UteinIdaho"

Your logic is lacking. The ONLY reason the SEC, ACC, and other "Big 5"/"Power 5" conferences do not want to include BYU in their figuring is PURELY FINANCIAL. If they require their fellow Big 5's to only play other Big 5's then the TV revenue for every game stays in in the Big 5. If you play anyone outside the Big 5 then at least a chunk (up to half) of that game's revenue will go to another school/conference.

Not that hard to understand. I expect the next big move of the Big 5 will be to restructure their existing conferences to balance the numbers of teams in each conference -- which could include eliminating one conference.... 4 conferences of 16 teams each = 64 teams --- the current number of teams in the Big 5. Of course, that would leave out Notre Dame, which is unthinkable (no joke intended). So....

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:10 a.m.

Taysom4Heisman
    Heber City, UT

"BYU's academics are rated much higher than utah's."

And this comes from where? USNWR?? Fine. Go to USNWR and look at grad schools. byu is totally outclassed by USU and with Utah it isn't even a contest. What byu has is dirt cheap tuition. End of story.

We do many great things off the field. We are not only sports. Unfortunately, we weren't the type of institution the Pac 12 was looking for."

Really? The Pac-10 wanted research institutions...religion had nothing to do with it. How can byu be a a high enough caliber school if it can't meet the Pac-10 criteria for an invite?

I didn't ask you to compare two Michigan teams. I asked to you to tell this board how beating a bad Michigan team (6-5) in 1984 is any more note worthy that Utah's victory in 2008.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:04 a.m.

@ David Haymond

It's interesting how many USC fans who happen to have a connection on to BYU come onto this board to weigh in on Utah.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    July 30, 2014 10:59 a.m.

Naval Vet, you're right that the Miami Beach bowl isn't very prestigious but apparently you haven't read up on how these new bowls work. The AAC, MAC, MWC, Sun Belt have formed a small bowl coalition to fill these new bowls in the Bahamas, Boca Raton, and Miami. The conferences will rotate teams each year between these bowls with the AAC being the "anchor" conference (according to ESPN). Because BYU was looking for a bowl agreement for 2014 they were able to get in on the inaugural bowl in Miami but there is no long term agreement with this coalition.

Most BYU fans will admit that the bowl situation hasn't been ideal since going independent but I think many (like myself) are relieved that they were able to get a bowl agreement for 2014 (it was really getting down to the wire). Hopefully we can get better bowl tie-ins in the future.

• David Haymond Phoenix, AZ
    July 30, 2014 10:46 a.m.

A friend of mine, who is from Utah, told me to look at the interesting back and forth between BYU and Utah fans on this message board. Being an USC Alum and having most of my family being USC Alums, it is shocking to me to see how Utah fans view themselves, compared to the reality of how everyone else views them. We (the real PAC-10 members) view the Utah and Colorado additions to our conference as nothing more than consistent victories that add to our win column (which has proven out). Inviting Utah to join the Pac 10 is like when the good looking folks invite the fat girl with them to the bar……the fat girl (think Utah) makes the rest of the folks look better. There are a lot of PAC-10 alums in my office and they agree. The key for Utah is to stop the delusions that they are relevant and embrace their status as the fat girl….

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 30, 2014 10:29 a.m.

CougarSunDevil:

"Wait, I thought BYU burned the bridge with the AAC."

They DID burn that bridge. You didn't read Mike Aresco saying they were interested in on the cougars joining their league, did you? Because I didn't. Just because they set up a "small ball" bowl game in Miami for the end of the 2014 season, that doesn't mean they want anything more to do with you. Don't forget....the AAC approached C-USA to play in that bowl game before they settled for you. Do cougar fans believe C-USA > the Y? Because if not, then why did they first approach them while knowing full well the cougars were seeking a postseason agreement?

Burnt bridge perhaps?

It seems to me that AAC had to come to terms with their only options being the MAC, the Sun Belt, and the Y.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 30, 2014 10:23 a.m.

BigCougFan:

"I've yet to see the U play a P5 caliber game against their P5 opponents."

Which Utah games had you been watching?

Utah went 8-5 in 2011, and beat Pitt, Ore St, Ariz, UCLA, Wash St, and Ga Tech in the Sun Bowl, and lost close games vs. USC and Colo. That's 8 "P5 caliber" games vs. P5 opponents right there.

In 2012, Utah beat Cal, Wash St, and Colo. So there's 3.

In 2013, Utah beat #11 Stanford and Colo, and lost close games vs. Ore St, #16 UCLA, and #21 Ariz St. So there's another 5.

That's 16 total. If you truly had "yet to see" Utah play P5 football, it's because you have yet to see Utah play football. Other than to see us annually manhandle your indy-irrelevant program on the field of course, but that doesn't really count as us playing a P5 opponent.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 30, 2014 10:12 a.m.

Taysom4Heisman:

"Well that's exactly how utah and TCU got into the P5, so yeah, it kind of is how you get in."

No, that's not how your big brothers -- Utah and TCU -- got into the P5. We got into the P5 because Utah and TCU were ranked #1 and #2 in non-AQ teams beating BCS level teams. Both of us had winning records, and were the winningest teams in that regard. No other midmajor had a winning record vs. BCS schools, and the 3rd winningest team -- Navy -- was far behind Utah and TCU with respect to beating those AQ schools.

Again, we got into the Power 5 by beating "big boy" programs; not "small ball" programs. You guys are feasting on "small ball". So you'll be midmajors forever.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 30, 2014 10:08 a.m.

I think I see a pattern here. The conferences BYU want to join are not expanding and probably wouldn't take BYU if they were. Meanwhile the conferences BYU is not interested in are not expanding either. Can we get fall camp underway so there is something resembling real news again?

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    July 30, 2014 10:08 a.m.

Trolls, would you consider Florida State a P5 team or a mid-major? One might argue that because they were ranked #1 last season were the consensus national champions that they are indeed a P5-caliber team. Nope. Not according to your logic.

Last season FSU’s strength of schedule was ranked #62 in the country (BYU was #38). In 2012 it was #66 (BYU was #63). In 2011 they were ranked #68 (BYU #90)… so in BYU’s independent era BYU has had a SOS better than FSU (#64 to #65).

Well, it’s the week in, week out grind, right? SOS is SOS no matter how you spin it. BYU has been playing an ACC (not AAC) caliber schedule since going independent. If they are playing schedules on par with the current national champions it's hard to discount what they accomplish without throwing several P5 teams under the bus (national champs included).

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 30, 2014 10:01 a.m.

I've been getting a kick out of Chris B and his "We" talk about "We" are P5, and "We" have our own playoff. What he's forgetting is that just because the U belongs to a P5 conference doesn't really mean they are a P5 school.

I've yet to see the U play a P5 caliber game against their P5 opponents. At best they are still a mid-major team playing in a P5 conference, as opposed to BYU, a mid major independent playing against an assortment of P5 and mid-major teams. Not too much difference except that the independent team has been going bowling and the other has not.

It's always fun to watch the chest bumping going on in the little leagues.

GO COUGARS!!

• TheHobbit Bountiful, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:52 a.m.

@Taysom4QB:

"P.S. We also beat Pittsburgh and Air Force in 1984, 2 of the better teams in the country that year."

Pitt finished the regular season 3-7-1 and unranked.
    A.F. finshed the regular season 7-4 (with one of those losses to Utah) but still unranked.

It is pretty clear that neither team was one "of the better teams in the country that year."

• Taysom4Heisman Heber City, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:26 a.m.

@MyPerspective

"An opportunity byu doesn't have because the school has been about nothing but sports for decades."

BYU's academics are rated much higher than utah's. We do many great things off the field. We are not only sports. Unfortunately, we weren't the type of institution the Pac 12 was looking for. They wanted a non-religious research school. We are a high enough caliber of school, but we weren't the type of school they wanted.

"apparently you dislike that fact that Utah beat a weak Michigan team in 2008. Please explain to this board your sentiment of byu beating an equally weak, if not weaker Michigan team..."

Comparing the 1984 Michigan team to the 2008 team is ridiculous. The 1984 team made a bowl game and would have played in the Big 10 title game with a win over Ohio State. The 2008 team went 3-9 and is widely regarded as the worst Michigan team ever.

• Little Pete South Jordan, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:25 a.m.

Too bad the Utes are P5 and BYU isn't! Just look at the schedule we play week in and week out and our record proves just how tough the PAC 12 is!

Go Pac 12!!

Go Utes - Rose Bowl Champs this year baby!

• Taysom4Heisman Heber City, UT
    July 30, 2014 9:07 a.m.

@UteinIdaho

"I know you have to hide it, but you must realize. If the SEC considered the cougs a P5 opponent it would actually help their conference. Their new rule says that each team has to play a certain number of OOC P5 teams. If they considered BYU a P5 team, that would equate to a relativaley easy win against a "P5" team, which would be beneficial to the conference?"

No, it wouldn't help them. The SEC hardly ever schedules BYU, so if they considered BYU a P5 team, it would make the Pac 12, and, to a lesser extent, the Big 12 and ACC, have tougher schedules. It would hardly do anything for the SEC because we rarely play them.

Also, I don't know how BYU would be an easier win than about half of the P5 teams out there. We have won our last 2 games against SEC opponents. Sure, those teams were towards the bottom of the SEC, but still, we have proven that we are at least better than the bottom of the conference, and would probably be competitive with the middle of the conference.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    July 30, 2014 9:04 a.m.

Blah blah blah again.

Thanks, Ute fans for my morning dish of drivel.

All BYU has to do is win.

Forget about childish rivals and their naive opinions. I'm sure they don't really believe the drivel they write. But I'm pretty sure they hope it's true.

Prove them wrong, Cougars.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    July 30, 2014 8:51 a.m.

65TossPowerTrap
    Salmon, ID
    Good to see that our friends from Iowa State, errr, Utah are still interested in BYU to the point that not only do they read articles about BYU - they take the time to comment on articles about BYU. Hopefully the Cyclones, errr, Utes can make it to a bowl game this year..

__________

That Cougar win over Texas played up by BYU fans does not look so great. Iowa St. has beat them as well.
    Hopefully BYU will beat a ranked team this season errr, attempt to compete on the field.

BYU is 3-8-1 all time against Colorado.
    BYU is 6-11 all time against San Jose St.

Yay!

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    July 30, 2014 8:31 a.m.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 8:24 a.m.

Taysom4Heisman
    Heber City, UT

Well that's exactly how utah and TCU got into the P5, so yeah, it kind of is how you get in...So, contrary to your theory, you can very much get into the P5 by dominating "a bunch of other weak SOS midmajors. You just need to throw in 1 or 2 bigger wins, which we have the opportunity to do."

Actually, Taysom, that's NOT how Utah got into the P5. Utah qualified themselves on the field but their invitation was solidified in the elite Pac-12 off the field. An opportunity byu doesn't have because the school has been about nothing but sports for decades.

Here's a question for you, Taysom...apparently you dislike that fact that Utah beat a weak Michigan team in 2008. Please explain to this board your sentiment of byu beating an equally weak, if not weaker Michigan team that had absolutely NO CHANCE of being named the NC in 1984 had they won the game.

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    July 30, 2014 8:09 a.m.

I like BYU's relationship with the AAC. I would love to get a scheduling agreement with them to play 4 games every year. The AAC has replaced the MWC as the best non-P5 conferance. They are as good or better than the MWC in basketball with UCONN, Memphis, Cinnci. If they could expand to 14 teams and include Boise St, BYU and San Diego they would rival any P5 conferance! I know some may laugh at this comment but besides the top 2-3 teams of each conferance the remaining schools are mediocre and ride the coat tails of the larger schools. Does anyone really think that Iowa St, Northwestern, Kentucky, Duke, Washington St, Colorado, or Utah really have an opportunity to win a NC? Sure their access is greater but that is it. All the talk about being a P5 school is just that, talk. Only way Utah ever wins it all is going undefeated. Guess what, if BYU, UCONN, UCF, Boise St, etc go undefeated they likley win the NC as well under the new system. Would an undefeated non-P5 school be in the top 4 at the end of the year? Win out and they are the NC.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 1:29 a.m.

@ Chris B

You don't speak for the P5 conferences. Settle down.

@ 32843

Bleacher Report is not a credible media outlet. Their entire content is made up of opinions of bloggers who are essentially fans of their team/sport they are writing about.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    July 30, 2014 12:19 a.m.

Wow... A tough pill to swallow for the Cougar haters from uteville...

• Taysom4Heisman Heber City, UT
    July 30, 2014 12:18 a.m.

@Naval Vet

"One doesn't become P5 because they can beat a bunch of other weak SOS midmajors."

Well that's exactly how utah and TCU got into the P5, so yeah, it kind of is how you get in. I know utah won one big game in the Sugar Bowl (don't try to count the Fiesta Bowl as a big win), but that's it. The Michigan game didn't count either. That was arguably their worst season in history. utah fed off of a weak schedule and won a couple decent games against BYU and TCU. The years where BYU was a great team (2006, 2007, 2009) we beat utah. utah only beat us in the years where it wasn't as much of an impressive win. It was still solid, but not great.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    July 29, 2014 11:54 p.m.

midpacmajor
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    wacpaddled

"I'm sure they are tired of being asked about BYU and their quest for recognition."

I'm absolutely certain they're not nearly as tired as BYU fans are of having to put up with the constant spamming of every BYU article by our little brothers in their quest for recognition.

_______

Calling all AAC fans!
    Calling any AAC fans!
    Are there any here?

Whatever.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    July 29, 2014 11:52 p.m.

midpacmajor
    Salt Lake City, Utah

So far, there's scant evidence that Utah is anything more than cannon fodder for the true P5 caliber members of the PAC 12.

___________

Interesting. I'm sure every ranked team that has beat BYU the past several years is thinking the very same thing.

• UteinIdaho Sandpoint, ID
    July 29, 2014 11:41 p.m.

I am dumbfounded. A league that, just a year ago, was a "big 6" BCS league, who is now scrambling to regain any sort of credibility that they possibly can has their conference commish coming out and saying that their fellow, formerly respected(30 years ago) BYU cougs should be considered P5 worthy. Weird...

@Taysome4runningback

Even if we made the College Football Playoff, the SEC wouldn't consider us a P5 school, because that takes away everything the scheduling rule is designed to do: separate from anyone outside the P5.

• dww722 North Salt Lake, UT
    July 29, 2014 11:34 p.m.

@SoonerUte:

Anybody can play a power 5 conference schedule and get beat like a drum. Just ask the Utes if inclusion in a P5 conference and playing that schedule means you're any good. The paycheck is nice though so you have that going for you.

Here's the facts:

BYU was the FIRST (and only) team outside the power conferences to bust the system and win the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP....a feat that at least 45 of 65 "power conference" teams have NEVER done... including: Arizona, Arizona St, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, Washington St and UTAH of the mighty PAC12. Those 8 teams must be the "WE" that Chris B. talks about so often.

No matter what Chris B. says BYU cemented its legacy as a power team with that championship and it will always trump Utah's BCS bowls and PAC12 membership. Sorry guys

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 29, 2014 10:45 p.m.

wacpaddled

• AZBlue Gilbert, AZ
    July 29, 2014 10:29 p.m.

Interesting how every ranking I have yet seen for 2014 (I think I am up to 6 now) puts BYU ahead of at least half of the "Power 5" schools. The earlier comment hat this all political and especially FINANCIAL posturing. Allowing any more teams into the "Power 5" would require splitting the pie into more pieces. And everyone knows that $20 million each is not a big enough slice as it is, right Big 12?

• midpacmajor Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 29, 2014 10:28 p.m.

SoonerUte

"I respect your theory, and would love to see the theory tested out against a P5 schedule."

Before Utah was invited to join the PAC 12, we heard lots of talk about Utah being able to compete with "anybody"

So, what does 4-5, 3-6, 2-7, with 2 of 3 losing bowl less seasons tell you about Utah being a "P5 caliber" program?

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    July 29, 2014 10:17 p.m.

Last time I checked, BYU is not the only non conference opponent for schools in some of these conferences. I'm sure they are tired of being asked about BYU and their quest for recognition.

• ute alumni SLC, UT
    July 29, 2014 10:05 p.m.

chrissy
    who is the "we" that you refer to?

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 29, 2014 9:57 p.m.

Not too surprising that my BYU-obsessed little sister and her friends have spammed another BYU article.

The tide is turning and conference commissioners and other college football experts who aren't forced to play politics are beginning to recognize BYU as the power program they are and have been for since the late 70's.

• 32843 PROVO, UT
    July 29, 2014 8:42 p.m.

You can say what you want about BYU not being a P5 team. Bleacher Report has run two columns, Predicting Every Power 5 Team's MVP and Every Power-5 Conference Team's Biggest Concern Heading into Fall Camp. Each of these columns highlight 67 of the 120+ teams in D1. BYU is included in each of these articles as being considered a Power-5 team.

Accept it. Don't accept it. UTE fans are really the only people that don't want it to be true and be forced to admit that a great many of the national media believe BYU does, indeed, belong in the P-5 conversation.

What has to be galling to Ute fans is that BYU is able to garner this national respect as an Independent. They don't have to ride a conference's coattails in order to included in the P-5 conversation among the national media. Unlike Utah who is only included in the P-5 discussion solely as the result of belonging to the PAC-12. Outside of that conference, Utah would be on the outside looking in.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2014 8:38 p.m.

T4H "We are a P5 caliber program".

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    July 29, 2014 8:33 p.m.

• Challenge to the Foe Fargo, ND
    July 29, 2014 8:27 p.m.

BYU is poised to do more damage than perhaps any other "non-P5" school. I agree with the others who have said the ACC, SEC and PAC are all politically positioning themselves. BYU will be the surprise team in the CFB Playoff era which begins with UCONN 1 month from now!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2014 8:24 p.m.

@holy moly,

Not true. If there was reason for the Pac 12 to call byu p5 quality(which we haven't) there would be reason for the ACC and SEC to do so also, as they also play byu once in a while.

Even if a conference plays byu less than other conferences, that wouldn't mean the team that plays byu less woulnt have the same reasons to call them power 5 quality. What reason would those conferences not have to call byu p5 quality, if they thought byu was?

You make it sound like if a conference plays byu only once a year then they don't have incentive to call byu p5 quality but if a conference plays them twice a year then they do? That's nonsense.

We(the power conferences) call it like we see it.

And NONE of us think you are P5 quality.

And NO, the Pac 12 never said byu was P5 quality.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2014 8:20 p.m.

This would be a HUGE agreement....if we were talking basketball

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 29, 2014 8:04 p.m.

It's interesting that Mike Aresco claimed that the AAC is "proud" to play the Y, since the first league they offered that partnership to was C-USA. Who declined it. It looks like the AAC was in panic mode. With no C-USA team to line up against, Aresco was staring down the barrel of an alignment with the MAC or the Sun Belt. Luckily the cougars had no postseason tie-in, and were equally desperate. A match made in heaven.

Anyway, I'm not sure "proud" is the correct word to describe the AAC's agreement with the Y. I think a more apropos term would be "relieved".

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    July 29, 2014 7:59 p.m.

Taysom4Heisman:

"I don't know how many times an article will have to be posted or how many times I need to say this before everyone understands the big picture here: We are a P5 caliber program, but the P5 is politically trying to separate themselves from the non P5's."

I don't know how many times Y fans have to be told, or by how many different Power 5 leagues, but the reason why you're considered a midmajor...

...is because you ARE a midmajor.

It can't be said any plainer than that. It isn't "political". It's who you are.

UTEP, Western Michigan, and pretty much nearly every opponent on your weak SOS schedule, are all midmajors. The P5 isn't holding them back either. It isn't "political". It's who THEY are.

If the Y wants to be a Power 5 school, they need to act like one. And for as long as you all continue to put out schedules like 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015, you'll NOT be acting like one. One doesn't become P5 because they can beat a bunch of other weak SOS midmajors.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2014 7:54 p.m.

At first I thought byu had gotten a huge endorsement from the prestigious ACC

But the realized it was just WAC level AAC.

Taysom,

Byu and all other mid majors will have to set up your own playoffs if you ever want to dream of playing in them.

We(power conferecnes) have our own playoff.

Yours will be division II

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    July 29, 2014 7:53 p.m.

Kudos to the AAC commissioner for recognizing that BYU is a P5 caliber school regardless of what the ACC and SEC thinks. For me personally, I don't really care if the whole world considers us a non P5 mid major team. I only care that we win out whatever schedule we're able to put together year in and year out. Do that and eventually things will work out and respect will come and hard to be denied.

• holy moly Herrmian, UT
    July 29, 2014 7:45 p.m.

PAC-12 coaches have called BYU a P5 talent. ACC and SEC have not. I believe this is political. Calling BYU P5 competition benefits PAC schools because they play BYU more often. Why say someone is good when distance dictates you will not play them frequently.

If BYU's campus was in Florida, the ACC and SEC would claim BYU was a power competitor and the PAC would probably say they were not. Its just a bunch of posturing. The ACC probably wants them to be considered a power opponent because they're playing them and they're in the same boat as BYU in regards to being in the have-not camp.

• Taysom4Heisman Heber City, UT
    July 29, 2014 7:10 p.m.

Not surprising that the non-P5 conference says BYU is a P5 level program but the ACC and SEC say BYU isn't.

I don't know how many times an article will have to be posted or how many times I need to say this before everyone understands the big picture here: We are a P5 caliber program, but the P5 is politically trying to separate themselves from the non P5's. So of course they will say we aren't at that level.

It's not that hard to understand. If you read between the lines, that is basically what every single one of these types of articles is really saying.