Brad Rock: Utah quarterback Travis Wilson must now show how to lead

• UteinIdaho Sandpoint, ID
    July 30, 2014 7:42 p.m.

Its funny to me the commentors who claim "only in Utah would this be mentioned". Seriously? Even at a party school lime ASU, do you not think that a local columnist would write a piece if Taylor Kelly got busted drinking underage? I agree with peoples point, which was mentioned in the article, that its not a huge citation, not much more than a traffic ticket, but I think it's pretty lame to pull the old worn out "only in Utah" comments.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 7:05 p.m.

@ But seriously folks!

Just because students at Utah aren't forced to live under a certain set of rules, does not mean their morals are relaxed. Utah's campus is full people who live moral lives just because they are good people, not because they "have" to.

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 5:01 p.m.

No doubt that Wilson's infraction of the law will not be an issue at all on the hill. Standards of yesteryear go out thee window when it comes to winning football games.

With no honor code at the school the morals are very relaxed. During my time at the u I saw things that made me cringe.

July 30, 2014 3:25 p.m.

@Sports Are Great

I have no recommendation for Jamaal's punishment. That's not my place. But many BYU fans are quick to come onto articles on Ute players to offer their opinions on how the U should handle such incidents. And the real hypocrisy (as you are referring to) comes when they demand punishment for our players, yet conveniently overlook similar offenses that your own BYU players commit.

July 30, 2014 12:42 p.m.

"It the Cougar fans had class they wouldn't be such critics as the Pharisees."

estreetshuffle - couldn't find the critical comments by Cougar fans, perhaps you saw them on some other article?

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    July 30, 2014 12:38 p.m.

Utah quarterback Travis Wilson must now show how to lead. As opposed to last year when Travis was not required to be a leader.

• mufasta American Fork, UT
    July 30, 2014 12:33 p.m.

Good Luck this season Travis. Keep working hard and your season will go well.

• DonO Draper, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:10 a.m.

Wilson is a good kid and a fine athlete who made a bad decision. Who among us hasn't? I hope Whittingham and the rest of the program stand solidly behind him and let him lead his team.

• JSwaggDaddy Heber City, UT
    July 30, 2014 10:36 a.m.

From the article:

"He demonstrated true composure last year after a six-interception game against UCLA by guiding the Utes to a 27-21 win over No. 5 Stanford the next week."

He didn't show much composure in the UCLA game, though. 6 interceptions is insane.

I like Travis. I don't want to see him missing any time from the alcohol incident. I also will be rooting for him to stay healthy, especially with his artery issue. That could become very dangerous and I really hope nothing bad happens to him.

But if utah wants to make a bowl game I don't think Wilson is the best guy to get them there. Sure, utah won a few close games last year, but I think the credit for the USU game goes to Whittingham, BYU game credit goes to Dres and BYU's lack of blue zone efficiency, and Stanford game credit goes to the Cardinal's horrible play calling at the end.

In the games where the moment was all on Wilson to deliver, he usually messed up.

Once again, best of luck to him, but if he is the QB I don't see a bowl game for the utes.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 30, 2014 10:19 a.m.

I hope he can lead, the U has been without a clear leader, at least at QB, for a long time and it's really hurt the team. I had hoped he had grown up and would be more appreciative of the 2nd chance to play, but actions show attitude.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    July 30, 2014 8:44 a.m.

Please stop the immature comments. According to the good Bible, we are all sinners. Look at the rough and tough fishermen that Jesus chose to be apostles. Mr Wilson is an excellent quarterback in the making. I believe in him. Instead of writing an article preaching to the choir and emphasizing the negative what about all the positive that Mr. Wilson has done for the Ute program. It the Cougar fans had class they wouldn't be such critics as the Pharisees.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 8:42 a.m.

@GoRed - what was your recommendation for Jamaal's punishment? You suggesting the same punishment for travis? You wouldn't want to be a hypocrite I assume.

• 81Ute Central, UT
    July 30, 2014 8:32 a.m.

'Some will say this could only happen in Utah. A college kid has a beverage, on his own time, at a concert, and it turns into big news. But anything that involves cops and athletes is news, anywhere in the country.' Sorry Mr. Rock this is a very poor justification for beating this dead horse. I guess there are no feel good stories coming out of Logan or Provo this week?

Nobody cares...except for a few that want revenge time for Spencer Hadley. Not really the same thing is it?

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    July 30, 2014 7:34 a.m.

A real leader wouldn't be engaged in the type of behavior that is breaking the law. Maybe his drinking issue, is part of the reason why he can't throw, unless it's to the other team.

If Travis shows, he can't throw the ball in the first few reps. Whit needs to pull him out and make sure the back up quarterback is actually ready to start with the starters. Don't stick with someone that can't produce and is killing the team. The defense can't be on the field 90% of the time and win every game for us. Our offense should control 60-70% of the clock and put points on the board.

July 30, 2014 6:55 a.m.

I'm curious, what was Jamaal William's punishment for the same offense that he committed earlier in February of this year? I know that BYU has a strict Honor Code concerning these things, as they are constantly reminding us.

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 29, 2014 11:07 p.m.

Utah's "core values" only mention "no DUI's", so breaking the law with underage drinking is perfectly acceptable, if you're a starting QB at the U.

Don't expect such leniency, however, if you're a rugby player.

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    July 29, 2014 10:52 p.m.

Rock I'll accept both your POV and your right to write this article as long as you can promise that you never drank befor you were 21. If not your article lacks credibility. Do as I say and not as I do, doesn't wash.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2014 8:18 p.m.

Ah, it's nothing Blechen couldn't fix for him with a quick dunk in the foaming ice font.

• East Coast Ute Storrs, CT
    July 29, 2014 8:18 p.m.

PacUtes, seriously. Most other parts of the country, articles should be written celebrating the fact that a school made it through a weekend with only a single underage drinking ticket.

• PacUtes Salt Lake, UT
    July 29, 2014 7:39 p.m.

Just win and people will forget you had a drink at concert.
    Only in Utah, a 20-years-old QB made news when he drank.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 29, 2014 5:36 p.m.

Forget the leading.

Just complete passes, and things will work out.

• RedBlood Bountiful, UT
    July 29, 2014 5:24 p.m.

**Travis, I am very sorry for the ridiculous publicity this incident has caused. Please know that as fans we are 100% behind you and are looking forward to your continued progress and to you leading our Utes to victory. Seriously, DON'T THINK ANY MORE ABOUT THIS. Do what everyone else has done - move on and get excited for the season. Best of luck Travis!