Utah

The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention readies for trademark fight

Comments

• 100%TruePAtriot cincinnati, OH
    July 29, 2014 1:29 p.m.

It's all about MONEY (and greed).

Comic Con was there for the benefit of the people, not a greedy corporate entity. It was supposed to be a contest, something FUN for people interested in that sort of thing.

Be forewarned though. Someone could use the common term 'comiccon' and trademark it just like they did with the letters H H O thus making it illegal to use those words or letters without permission.

Coke is trademarked even though coke is also the name for a type of carbon.

• take2ndbreath Princeton, TX
    July 29, 2014 11:58 a.m.

Comic-Con is trademarked. Comic Con is not, they didn't bother to do it in 1995 when they made the change. It's such a simple change, yet I bet legally they now don't have a leg to stand on. It's all so silly anyway. I mean, REALLY?!

• Jamescmeyer Midwest City, USA, OK
    July 29, 2014 9:32 a.m.

This is the dumbest thing read heard all month. I'll make sure never to patronize in San Diego again, though.

• neece Logan, UT
    July 29, 2014 8:58 a.m.

Seriously? Since when did they corner the market on "comic con" I personally think they need to grow up play nice... they aren't the only one's playing in the sand box.

• Denverite Centennial, CO
    July 29, 2014 8:37 a.m.

@starpilot: Actually, I think a lot of people could easily be confused and think the two have something to do with each other. Not those seriously into comics, perhaps, but everyone else.

And, IIRC about trademark law, if the San Diego people don't complain about it, it's understood that they have no objection to Salt Lake's use of the term (or near-term)--and then if anyone else were to try to use the Comic-Con trademark or something similar and San Diego complained about that, a judge could tell San Diego, "Well, you didn't complain about Salt Lake before, so clearly you don't care whether others use it or not, and so I will let these other people use it, too."

• PLM Kaysville, UT
    July 29, 2014 5:51 a.m.

Great title McKenzie!

• MuseCat Farmington, UT
    July 29, 2014 2:26 a.m.

It is just to funny that San Diego thinks that Salt Lake would roll over and play dead. I went through something similar with a start up company many years ago and San Diego doesn't have a leg to stand on. They missed a very important step in their trade mark filings, so sad :( but it is their mistake, so they need to quit trying to BULLYING their way into other company's businesses.

• starpilot pueblo, CO
    July 28, 2014 11:49 p.m.

I thought I left a comment on this, apparently not. Anyhow, I don't think SD invented the term comic con, it simply means comic convention. it's weird to see them be so odd about this - because very very very few people are going to think Utah is affiliated with SD.