Sports

Former Ute Zane Beadles donates $750,000 to Utah football

Comments

• yabuts Springville, utah
    July 31, 2014 3:10 p.m.

65 Power Toss Trap:

"Nice" comment about blocking lessons...(:(

I could add further, however, I'm sure the D News would not print the words.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 31, 2014 9:36 a.m.

"Look at the other posts."

worf:

I did. And all initially were grateful Ute fans, until the one dragged BYU into it.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 30, 2014 5:14 p.m.

@JohnInSLC,

Just because fans cheer for their team, doesn't mean, they believe they are "heaven's gift to football".

Just because of the PAC 12, many ute fans believe they are "heaven's gift to football".

Look at the other posts.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 29, 2014 8:37 p.m.

"Did you forget, the BCS money was slit with other teams."

worf:

No, I didn't. But those schools didn't act like they were heaven's gift to football.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 29, 2014 5:33 p.m.

@JohnInSLC,

That's peanuts to what the utes got from all the television exposure BYU earned, and now the utes receive money from the fruits of other teams. Sorry, but what have they done for their PAC 12 money? Nothing!

Did you forget, the BCS money was slit with other teams.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 29, 2014 3:35 p.m.

"He should have spent that money on lessons on how to block in a Super Bowl."

65Toss:

Which he can afford, in contrast to former college players from Utah who don't make enough to pay for a CFL rule book.

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    July 29, 2014 1:49 p.m.

Well done Mr. Beadles.

Congratulations on your degree, your success in your chosen profession and your willingness to assist those now on the same journey that you've successfully completed.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    July 29, 2014 11:23 a.m.

Chris B,
    When is Dr. Hill going to us some of that money growing on trees to increase the size of RES? Or is he going to wait for another Winter Olympics and have someone else pay for it?

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    July 29, 2014 8:29 a.m.

He should have spent that money on lessons on how to block in a Super Bowl.

• ute alumni SLC, UT
    July 29, 2014 4:46 a.m.

not every person or program feels the need to tell the world about what they did.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 28, 2014 10:31 p.m.

Kiboo,

I don't believe these athletes have cared about any kind of notoriety for their donations, not much anyway. It's the U that wants to trumpet the news throughout the Wasatch range and beyond in hopes of finding others out there that may stop and think, huh, maybe I should give back to the U as well. The U certainly has a good thing going, I hope more players will come out of the woodwork to make more of these donations. This is setting a great precedent and should resound with recruits as they continue to see and hear about what these former players have done.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    July 28, 2014 7:56 p.m.

How cool is this! Smith gives. 500k...Zane 750k...

I think TSDS doesn't publish this stuff...not sure what Max pulled down in the CFL before he got whacked but I would think his contract was worth less than Zane's donation.

Ziggy wore fake glasses to the draft...who knows what he does with his dough

NCAA published today that Utah has the toughest schedule in college football this year, ahead of #2 Auburn and #3 Florida

Go Utes

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    July 28, 2014 7:47 p.m.

Thank you, Zane.

Good luck in your upcoming season!

• Kiboo South Jordan, Utah
    July 28, 2014 4:35 p.m.

I always have to scratch my head when a donation such as this goes public.

Does the University publicize it in hopes of eliciting more donations from wealthy alumni or does the donor publicize it in order to, well, for whatever reason?

Kudos to Beadles for having the wherewithal to make the donation and then being generous enough to actually do it.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2014 4:24 p.m.

JohnInSLC
    Cottonwood Heights, UT

"And I'm sure the Y would hate to be thought of as dependent on the U, for anything. If you agree, please use your considerable influence with Holmoe, et al, to have the school send back that $2M in BCS money the Utes earned for the cougies in the last 10 years."

Hilarious post!!

And our thanks to Zane for his generous gift to U of U football. Always a first class person and representative of Utah on and off the field...forever a Utah man!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 28, 2014 4:04 p.m.

@Chris B

"And we can also be thankful that Texas and Oklahoma told the Pac 10 no" You are absolutely right - if you said this for the right reason.

We owe Texas and Oklahoma nothing for our membership in the PAC-12! If they had said "yes" it would have been the PAC-16! And Utah would have been a me3mber of that. It is true the PAC-11 (Colorado was in) offered 5 schools memberships - but one of those 5 was Texas A & M! It might as well have been Notre Dame because neither Notre Dame or Texas A & M was going to join. Texas A & M wanted the SEC (Which the got) and to get away from the prima donna Texas. So even if Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech (or was it Baylor?) had accepted to make the 16 Utah was in! The reason we want to thank Texas and Oklahoma for declining was if they had joined and it became the PAC-16 the divisional breakout would most likely have been Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and the other one. Thank heavens we get to go to the West Coast and neighboring states rather than the alternative!

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    July 28, 2014 3:40 p.m.

You're a good man, Zane! Thank you, from Ute Nation.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 28, 2014 3:33 p.m.

"They're not dependent on BYU anymore."

worf:

Every little bit helps.

• The Expats Apo, AP
    July 28, 2014 2:59 p.m.

Very generous gift. What a nice guy.

I do have to ask Chris B a question in regards to his post:

Does being a fan of a program in the PAC 12 automatically make you a PAC 12 member? Or is there a card or a fee you have to pay to become a member?

If it just takes being a fan of a program in the PAC 12 then I'm a BYU grad who is also a proud PAC 12 member since I am also a fan of Arizona.

Therefore:
    Proud Cougar!!
    Proud PAC 12 Member! :)

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    July 28, 2014 2:55 p.m.

Way to go Zane! You are truly a class act and an all-around great guy.

Glad you're a Ute!!

Go Utes!!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 28, 2014 2:39 p.m.

Good for Utah!

They're not dependent on BYU anymore.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2014 2:29 p.m.

Very generous gift. Thank you Zane!

Go Utes!

• pleblian salt lake city, utah
    July 28, 2014 2:28 p.m.

I am not a Ute, but Zane has proven himself the caliber person he is player.

Impressive.

• Irrelevant Provo, UT
    July 28, 2014 2:26 p.m.

Good for Beadles, Good for the U

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2014 2:10 p.m.

@Who am I,

I stand corrected.

And to think we were once a lowly MWC nobody!

We can count our lucky stars we earned our place with the big boys, just as the doors were shutting.

If a team isn't with the big boys now - they never will be!

And we can also be thankful that Texas and Oklahoma told the Pac 10 no.

We owe them.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 28, 2014 1:48 p.m.

" I am excited to pledge this money to the U. and give back to the place that helped shape me into the man I am today.”

I think Max Hall said the same thing about his school.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 28, 2014 1:40 p.m.

@Chris B

First time I have ever seen you understate anything about Utah! $20 million? Projections I have seen say that now we are getting 100% share of PAC-12 money is $30 million from TV and playoff alone!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    July 28, 2014 1:23 p.m.

This is the kind of thing the Utes need more of to bump up the revenues more in line with other Pac 12 schools. With so many players in the NFL and a great program for keeping them connected to the school, there is no reason the Utes can't significantly increase the athletic budget.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    July 28, 2014 12:43 p.m.

Great man and a great Ute. Way to go Zane. Have a successful season.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 28, 2014 12:21 p.m.

Money is pretty much growing on trees these days!

Such a generous gift. And to think that that was basically our payout for a whole year back when we were a mid major in the MWC. Thankfully, we're brining in 20+ million a year now, which has enabled us to build first class facilities for football and now basketball as well.

Proud Ute!