Utah

About Utah: Pedal power at the market

Comments

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    July 29, 2014 1:25 p.m.

I don't want to pop anyone's balloon, but the bike, the generator, the alternator and the battery setup all took lots of fossil fuel energy to manufacture. It's great to save energy every way we can, but in the end, it's back to the basics of using oil and natural gas to get us where we like to be.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    July 28, 2014 1:42 p.m.

What is really funny about this is that while he is off the grid, he will ultimately create more pollution through his efforts than he would if he just fired up a generator.

There are some studies out there that show that using bicycle power will ultimately lead to increased CO2 output. This is due to the simple fact that when you start riding a bicycle a lot you will require more calories throughout your day. The CO2 required to grow, harvest, and transport that extra food typically is more than what you would create by burning gasoline in an engine to do the same work.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    July 28, 2014 11:01 a.m.

I don't know if he really thought this up himself,
    or just happen to see it on TV on "Shark Tank" a few years ago,
    and copied it.
    [Moberi]

Either way --
    I glad he's doing some "off-the-grid",
    that he's being supported here locally,
    and that he's not being run off by a mob of environmentalist hating locals carrying pick-forks!

• AerilusMaximus Berryville, VA
    July 28, 2014 8:26 a.m.

@ Kristjhn

"Without the grid, Tony would have no smoothie booth."

For the time being that may be true but as more and more companies invest into alternative energies that will be less and less true.

It is become more and more possible to separate yourself from the grid and take more ownership and responsibility for everything in your life.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    July 28, 2014 8:00 a.m.

Re: "Go ahead, sip away guilt-free."

I will, Thanks.

But I won't be using the latest trendy, but not-ready-for-primetime energy gadget. I'll be using my tried-and-true electric blender.

And I will sip away, guilt free.

• Kristjhn Bountiful, UT
    July 28, 2014 6:49 a.m.

I am sure Tony is a really nice chap. But I wonder if he catches the irony that you need to grid, to get off the grid.

Blenders, bicycles, batteries, wires, alternator, parts, tables, booth, the food utilized in his smoothies are all a product of the grid.

Without the grid, Tony would have no smoothie booth.