Sports

BYU football fall practice position preview: the offensive backs

Comments

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    July 30, 2014 12:56 a.m.

I think that our Cougars are all prepared to honor our 30th anniversary of our NC and our 50th anniversary of LES, and the graduation of our great Jim Mac Mann from BYU. I see it all coming together with the best Offense that we have experienced in many years.

Other bad luck problems in Texas, gives us all more hope for a 12-0 season that should open the eyes of the Big 12 or even the Pac 12.

Go Cougars.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    July 28, 2014 6:20 a.m.

GJ
    Greenwood, IN

Excellent observation. The kickoff guy never has to worry about getting plowed the instant he catches the ball.

For Hine, I like that play they've run a few times, it's like an option sweep, except the running back gets ahead of the play, and the option is to throw him the pass. I think he has the speed to get into position ahead of the play, and I'd love to see him get the corner AND the ball.

• positivethinker Magna, UT
    July 28, 2014 12:41 a.m.

I look forward to a Great Season with Hill & Company Manning the Backfield. If Hill gets injured, and misses 3 or 4 games or more, we will still have a decent 7 and 5 season.

• GJ Greenwood, IN
    July 27, 2014 10:32 p.m.

There is a significant difference between returning punts and kickoffs. Difference number one is the lack of blocking in front of you. Even if you have team members running back to block, they will be unable to establish the same level of protection that you would expect on a kickoff return. Difference number two is reaction time. With punt returns you have very little time between catching the ball and having to dodge a would be tackler. That's one reason the shifty players like J.D. Falslev have excelled as punt returners. Hine is more of a straight line runner, which works better for kickoff returns

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    July 27, 2014 9:45 p.m.

I'm hoping Hill doesn't rush for 1,000+ yards this season, not because he can't, but because we have so many talented RBs. I hope we rely on them a little more and Hill a little less. While I don't want to thwart Hill's style, 500 yard season for Hill would be a success.

Williams is already known as a great RB. Another 1,000 yard season would put him in the conversation of greatest RBs at BYU. If he stays healthy, it should happen.

I would like to see the RBs catch the ball out of the backfield more. Hill can gain confidence and respect as a great passer by throwing more 0 - 15 yard passes. Steve Young was never known as a QB who could put the ball on the numbers 50 yards down field. He made his living at BYU and the 49ers we a lot of short passes.

There hasn't been a lot of attention given to who will return punts. I'd like to see Hine excel at this also. I don't see that there's that much difference between returning kick offs and punts.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    July 27, 2014 7:30 p.m.

The Couga will roll on offense this year and the defense will be equally good or better.

• Taysom4Heisman Heber City, UT
    July 27, 2014 12:50 p.m.

I am very optimistic about the offensive backfield.

This is the only position that has proven players across the board, including proven backups.

The running backs are incredibly deep and talented, and will definitely be outstanding again this year.

Taysom is awesome. Needs to work on the passing game, but I think we will see improvement. And if he goes down, I think Christian Stewart will keep the offense moving. He is nowhere near the threat that Hill is, but I don't see the season falling apart with Stewart.

• Common-Tator Saint Paul, MN
    July 27, 2014 11:30 a.m.

While O-back performance is all based on O-line performance, both of these areas look incredibly good. A few years back I asked my young 8-year-old where he would start if he had to build a championship football team. He pondered for a moment, then said "Offensive Line." That was a fairly poignant statement.

An excellent O-line makes an average QB or RB good. They make good ones great. And of course, when you can platoon a squad of quick, punishing running backs and linemen, keeping them fresh throughout, that bodes for something quite special.

Here's to hoping this pans out well for the 2014 Cougs.