Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks people worldwide to pray for peace

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    July 30, 2014 8:19 a.m.

Two hands working do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

But got to give her credit for including the world instead of the usual "God Bless America."
    Since I don't believe he has favorites.

• ADW Herriman, UT
    July 28, 2014 1:07 a.m.

I believe that the prayers of the righteous have a great impact for good. The world would be in a much bigger mess if we din not pray.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    July 27, 2014 7:50 a.m.

God has never granted world because just because we pray for it. Maybe people pray for it because they don't know what else to do. But in the end prayer doesn't help. God already knows most of us want world peace, why do we have to continue asking for it with no response from above?

• intervention slc, UT
    July 26, 2014 11:35 p.m.

I am not a religous person and do not believe in aGod however I do not see any harm in people of faith praying for peace if nothing else it is cause for them to take a few minutes out of thier day to think about the world around them and if it even motivates only a handful to translate that into some action to promote peace then all the better. By this same measure Reba calling on religous people to pray for peace may motivate some to take action that they would have otherwise not.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 25, 2014 11:17 p.m.

Peace in a evil world cannot be acheived except by united strength. I would have thought WWII would have taught us that lesson....but history isn't something most people care too much about anymore...

• Brother Dave Livermore, CA
    July 25, 2014 3:36 p.m.

There are several "bah humbug" type comments posted here.

If one does not believe in the Power of Prayer, then so be it.
    It is one's right Not to believe in America. (It's part of Freedom of Religion).

However, if one is mocking someone else for Praying for Peace, That's Not good!!

The people who Are Praying for Peace are at least concerned enough to take time out of
    their day to focus on the problems of the World and in essence Turn them over to
    the Lord. One never knows what the Lord might do. He has granted all people their
    Free Agency to choose of course (and that includes the trouble makers and the aggressive),
    but with choices Also comes the Consequences.

I Support Reba's effort to Pray for Peace. I Already had been doing so myself. I Trust
    in the Lord!! I am Glad that Reba does too and is willing to share that Publically!!

God Bless!!

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    July 25, 2014 2:48 p.m.

There is a long line of people hopping for help, Who wants to get in that line, not me. The only help I have is my own two hands and hope I can get it right. this time, as I'm talking to my higher power all the time I'm concentrating on the task.

• Just one more opinion Pleasant Grove, UT
    July 25, 2014 12:26 p.m.

If you believe, prayer can help a great many things, but there are two things I've learned in life regarding prayer: 1. You can pray until you drop, but God will not take away the choices of another. He can persuade, but at the end of the day if a person won't change their ways change won't happen. 2. Despite all of your efforts and desire, if it's not God's desire, it won't happen. Sure, faith can move mountains, but if The Almighty likes the mountain where it is, you might as well move on.

On the flip side, if you want to move a mountain, you can always hire an army of bulldozers and people to operate them... ;)

• Candide Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2014 12:24 p.m.

@ Brave Sir Robin

My time in the peace corps comes to mind. Supporting humanitarian causes also is more helpful than prayer.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 25, 2014 12:15 p.m.

But...in some form or another god is the root cause of a lot of the strife.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    July 25, 2014 11:57 a.m.

If you think the only ability you have to promote world peace is raising good children and praying, then that's likely why we're so far from having world peace.

I'd suggest you take a good long look at opportunities to spread peace out there(including these comment boards) if you really think kids and praying are all you can do. Good luck!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    July 25, 2014 9:36 a.m.

"If you want peace you have to work for it"

And what work are you doing for world peace? I mean, besides commenting on the Deseret News comment boards, which obviously goes a long ways toward achieving world peace.

The average person is powerless to do anything to promote world peace beyond trying to raise good children. But raising peace-loving kids isn't going to end the Palestinian/Israeli conflict. So in the grand scheme of things, the average American has basically zero ability to increase peace in the world. That's why people pray - because they're powerless to do anything else.

• Candide Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2014 9:14 a.m.

Praying does nothing for world peace. If it did we would be at peace right now. If you want peace you have to work for it and human beings do not seem to want to make the compromises that are required for peace. Saying that you will pray for peace is the same thing as saying "I am content to pretend to do something without really doing anything at all".

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    July 25, 2014 7:55 a.m.

I think that there are ghosts, supernatural beings. I think that the spirit of things can be changed with a change of mind. If you need help ask. It doesn't matter if your friends are alive or dead their always with you in your heart or in in your head. I think we as a people lost the ability to communicate.