Utah

10 years after murder, Lori Hacking's mother forgives, but 'will never get over it'

Comments

• G Blake West Jordan, UT
    March 30, 2017 2:33 a.m.

I just saw a documentary about this tragedy using actors I knew didn't look like either Lori or her killer, and popped online to compare when I found this article.
    Mark's father worked as a pediatrician at the hospital where I worked, so I knew him from there as a well-loved, professional physician, admired by both patient's families and by colleagues alike. From my viewpoint, the tragedy along with everything else was how deeply this hurt Dr. Hacking; his countenance changed, as though he bore the weight of the world. I felt so awful for him and his family, and I could almost feel that he wondered every moment what he had done wrong as a dad. That hurt mostly because as a dad, I know I would feel responsible, at least partly, for one of my kids doing something so horrific. What had I missed? Where had I gone wrong?
    Dr. Hacking, you did nothing wrong. That your son started on a bad road out of fear of letting family down in no way reflects on you as a dad or as an example to your son. They were HIS choices. He has made his path difficult, but we both know that the Master knows Mark's heart, and will render perfect judgment at some point.

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    July 21, 2014 9:35 p.m.

What an amazing and wonderful example this woman is. God bless her.

• Applelovernow Henderson, NV
    July 21, 2014 1:27 a.m.

I am so sorry for her. May God continue to bless her with peace.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    July 20, 2014 11:09 a.m.

Its amazing the choices people make. Mark Hacking to fake getting a degree and to kill his wife. Lori's mother to forgive Mark. I wonder how that is even possible. I wonder if she really has but if not don't doubt that she would like to.

• Mormonmama0106 Phoenix, AZ
    July 20, 2014 8:21 a.m.

God bless Mrs. Soares for her ability to forgive. I had a cousin murdered 20 years ago in May by her ex-husband. He was just released from jail and I still struggle with forgiveness. I wasn't even overly close to this cousin, so I can only imagine how much harder it would be to forgive the murderer of your child. What a great lady Mrs. Soares has shown herself to be!

I hope that Mark Hacking is truly repentant.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    July 20, 2014 12:02 a.m.

What a neat lady Lori's mom is. I pray for her continued peace. I'm also impressed with Mark's family - how they all confronted him to get him to confess to this horrendous act. We've seen from too many families the desire to protect the guilty party because he is family. What a courageous stand to do what is right and help others heal even if someone you love makes a major mistake.

• benny02 slc, ut
    July 19, 2014 3:30 p.m.

great subject matter, but boring story..

• rik-nell San Mateo, CA
    July 19, 2014 5:36 a.m.

Thank you for sharing this story and to hear how those closest to her are surviving. Such a tragic loss and our thoughts are with the family always.

• Grammy3 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    July 19, 2014 1:21 a.m.

My heart goes out to all of us who have had someone we love die that Lori did. My sister was a victim of Domestic Violence which took her life ten years ago as well. The sad part is her estranged husband has never had to serve a day in Jail or Prison. It was very much like a O.J. Simpson her children would have won in a civil court because there was so much evidence but they can not prove that he put the drugs in her drink. There was some kind of a mixture that one can find on the internet who has medical knowledge and he did. So when I read things like this and it brings back that pain that I feel I love to always plead with those who know someone who is in a bad relationship to get out of it. This poor mother and her pain and sorrow that she carries and will until that day she passes on and meets her darling daughter and be able to hug her again.

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    July 18, 2014 11:05 p.m.

I don't think I could forgive Mark Hacking. She is a lot better person than I am.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    July 18, 2014 9:08 p.m.

I can hardly believe that this tragedy was ten years ago. May the Lord continue to bless this good and courageous mother. Yes, Lori, was not in the land fill but with our Father in Heaven.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    July 18, 2014 8:57 p.m.

I very much appreciate Lori's mother for sharing this story. Just a few days ago I wondered how those close to Lori are doing now. I am not acquainted with any of them, but like many others, I was horrified by her disappearance and her husband's eventual confession. Her mother's forgiveness is amazing too, and provides an example for others confronted with similar circumstances. My thoughts are with all who miss Lori on this 10th anniversary.