Family

Are Advanced Placement courses worth it?

Comments

• Br. Jones East Coast, MD
    July 18, 2014 2:16 p.m.

Columbia (and the other Ivies) don't offer merit scholarships, so of course they wouldn't have given a scholarship to a student based on AP scores. I suspect this was an error in reporting but I hope the student mentioned didn't actually bet on AP courses getting him money from any Ivy League schools.

• redthunder Ogden, UT
    July 18, 2014 2:03 p.m.

I took a few AP courses during my time in high school and I'm glad I did; compared to my general courses I learned much much much more in my AP classes. Granted I spent a lot more time studying for thos AP courses, but they prepared me for college making the transition from high school to college a little less rough.

IMO, it's the CE (concurrent enrollment) classes that are a sham. I stocked up on CE classes in high school and most of them "expired" by the time I graduated. Now I have to repeat all those classes again. Meanwhile, none of my AP credits have "expired".

This article upsets me. Universities are getting out of control. I'm usually not a proponent of government interference but either it needs to step in or people will have to make a stand and stop attending (which I highly doubt will happen)until things change.

• FreelancerA1_1 Ogden, UT
    July 18, 2014 1:39 p.m.

This discussion has been going on for at least fifteen years, so I don't see why this is making the news right now. With that being said, I agree with those who say that AP classes don't prepare students for college. I started taking classes at a local community college when I was a junior in high school. This program allowed me to finish my first two years of school for the cost of textbooks before I graduated from high school. To me AP doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I know that Utah has programs that allow students to start taking real college courses during their junior or senior year of high school. Why do schools push so much for their students to take AP classes when early college programs would be far more helpful to them? Besides an university or college is a completely different atmosphere than high school, as such AP classes are not helping students prepare for that culture as well as classes on an actual campus would.

• Sasha Pachev Provo, UT
    July 18, 2014 11:46 a.m.

You can test out of BYU American Heritage for $20, AP History will cost you $89, so this is not a problem. But when a college says AP test is no good, and does not offer a cost effective alternative, I'd say forget that college and go somewhere else. We need to stand up against college cost inflation and take our business to schools and educators that are able to give us value for our money.

• rok Boise, CA
    July 18, 2014 11:04 a.m.

of course they aren't going to let you test out of classes anymore. Why would they want to shorten the college ritual for paying customers? When BYU stopped accepting AP US History to get out of their version of US history and force everyone to take American Heritage, I realized that it wouldn't be long before they cut back on other AP credits as well.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    July 18, 2014 10:53 a.m.

I'm glad I took AP courses but in the end I had HUGE overlap in credits earned. I had math AP credit but still took math courses toward an engineering degree my frosh year at BYU. So I doubled up there. Then I changed my major and no longer needed math credits, so double credits went toward my overall credit requirement toward graduation. Then I served a foreign language mission and tested out of language. What, in the beginning, was a credit requirement for math or language toward graduation I earned three times over. I'm sure that most of the kids earning AP credits will still duplicate some parts of the credit reqs. Let's not lose too much sleep over the lessening impact of AP credits.

• humbug Syracuse/Davis, UT
    July 18, 2014 9:06 a.m.

I suspect the reason universities don't want to accept AP credits is because they don't want to lose the tuition money from forcing the kids to take the classes at the university.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    July 18, 2014 8:30 a.m.

Frank Costas comes across like a hypocritical admin; I'd hate for this guy to work in a school we were looking at. The "check the boxes" comment is actually quite upsetting and shows his true colors. We continue to set higher and higher standards for college admissions, and when kids try to excel, we simply diminish their work and accomplishments as passe? Total rubbish.

Your institutions have spent years and years telling kids what experiences and education they need to excel, but apparently you don't actually care, you just want to play a clever game to rank and sort your applicants. And of course AP classes would be the first to go, because it cuts down the # of credits a student has to buy from your university (even though everyone I know says their AP professors taught them MUCH more than their college professors in intro level courses). What a terrible attitude shown in this article.

• GoldenGrizz86 West Jordan, UT
    July 18, 2014 7:24 a.m.

What does grade inflation matter? High School teachers do not write the AP Exams. They prep kids to be successful on those exams, which are written by the college board. They need to stop gauging for money and honor their end of the deal.