Faith

Never too late: 100-year-old woman baptized into LDS Church

Comments

• K Mchenry, IL
    July 23, 2014 5:17 p.m.

She didn't come late. She was catholic and now is LDS. He came, he died, he rose, he will come again, and we have a way to enter heaven now. Period.

• deniron Effurun/Nigeria, 00
    July 21, 2014 11:27 p.m.

I would liken the story to the labourer whom the master hired at a late hour and receive the same amount with those that came in the early hour. Not withstanding the weakness of man, some individuals have their own timing of reaching a goal.

• K Mchenry, IL
    July 18, 2014 9:41 p.m.

There was an article saying that Mormons are not seen in as good of a light as other faiths. And much sorrow that others do not accept LDS as Christian enough. Are you saying a mormon is a better Christian? That a Catholic isn't Christian enough? A Christian is supposed to follow Christ and make sure the good news is preached throughout the world. Though I do believe it is perfectly fine to be Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, and so on. Preaching the good news doesn't mean insisting everyone become Christian. The good news is accepted among LDS and Catholic. He came, rose and will come again. We have a way to enter heaven now.

• LDSareChristians Anchorage, AK
    July 18, 2014 2:32 p.m.

K posted: I do not understand the excitement in making a Christian another type of Christian.

I see it as making them a better Christian.

• K Mchenry, IL
    July 18, 2014 11:37 a.m.

• KDahl Burbank, CA
    July 18, 2014 1:24 a.m.

Doesn't baptism for the dead mean it's never too late, period?

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    July 17, 2014 10:39 p.m.

I'm sure she would have been fine in heaven as a good Catholic. Many of them too are devout in their faith and have feelings about leaving their faith as many Mormons would if asked to leave theirs. There is room in heaven for everyone. She looks amazing for her age and looks like a sweet little lady.

• Aggie5 Kuna, ID
    July 17, 2014 8:58 p.m.

She's on the fast track

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    July 17, 2014 3:57 p.m.

That is just awesome. Congrats :)

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    July 17, 2014 1:18 p.m.

It’s regrettable that the rest of her children left the Church, but at least she made the right decision in the end. It is not too late for the rest of them either. Perhaps she may find a way to soften their hearts from beyond the veil. Gives me hope for members of my own family as well, some of whom (also Catholic) may have the same sort of mentality that she had.

• voiceofreason1234 SANDY, TX
    July 17, 2014 12:44 p.m.

B E A U T I F U L S T O R Y ! !

I enjoyed the photos as well, be sure and check them all out.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    July 17, 2014 11:43 a.m.

I admire these sister missionaries who never gave up, had great patience, and who loved her unconditionally. The Spirit is what converts, but these valiant messengers are wonderful!

Thanks for sharing this dear story!

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    July 17, 2014 11:42 a.m.

It never is too late! :)

• A_Chinese_American Cedar Hills, UT
    July 17, 2014 9:04 a.m.

What an amazing story those days. Life is full of up and downs, but family is forever!

• Firefly123 Mapleton, UT
    July 17, 2014 9:02 a.m.

Well, if you truly study the doctrine of Christianity, you know it's either us or the Catholics, so God will smile upon her in heaven either way!

My mom never learned to swim and is so afraid of water, she can't even shower if it hits her neck or face. She was also baptized, so I've got to believe the Holy Ghost is present at this sacred ordinance.

My grandma attended the temple until she was 101. (100 is the new 80, you know.) I have a feeling if she was preserved this long for baptism, she will also be around for her sealing ordinances.

• grandmagreat Lake Havasu City, AZ
    July 17, 2014 8:40 a.m.

What a wonderful blessing for this entire family. I am sure that her sweetheart is waiting for her to get the temple work done so that they can be together forever, and that she will blessed in that all of her children will come back into activity in church. I know how she must feel to not have them all with her, because I have 2 of my children that are not active, and they were baptized when they were 8, and have been sealed to us. May the Lord Bless her and her family.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    July 17, 2014 8:40 a.m.

My Mother-in-law was baptized a little more than a year ago, after seeing her daughter baptized in 1988 and seeing all her grandkids raised in the Church. Mini missions the youth participated in, where her grandson asked the right question, led by the spirit, started her on the road of investigation.

She was very familiar with the Church for 25 years. We never pushed, but invited hundreds of times.

The Lord's timetable is not ours, but we still need to keep inviting. True Latter-day Saints should never "unfriend" someone or otherwise "write them off". Lives change, positions evolve, hearts soften.

• take2ndbreath Princeton, TX
    July 17, 2014 8:34 a.m.

Wonderful story! Just one observation: She's 100-years-old?!! I hope I look that good at 100! :-)

• LittleStream Carson City, NV
    July 17, 2014 6:54 a.m.

What a wonderful story this is going to be for these sister missionaries to tell their families and share with others! Just goes to show the Jesus still goes to search for the one lost sheep.