Utah

Tongan community disappointed, offended by new HBO show

Comments

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2014 5:12 p.m.

i cancelled my HBO/starz/cinemax today to show my support.......

love my tongan friends

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    July 16, 2014 11:48 a.m.

"If you want to be a better human being, mimic how Tongans behave."

Oh? Would that be mimicking how Siale Angilau behaved when he attacked a witness on the witness stand in federal court? Or how the members of the Tongan Crip Gang, of which he was a member, behave? Or those that led to a bulletin being issued to local police agencies, "TCG retaliation threats", because of Mr Angilau being shot as he attacked the witness? Or is it the behavior of a number of Tongan people in SoSLC that nearly beat a gay man to death because they mistakenly thought he was molesting a child? Or how about a group of Tongans that blocked an exit at a football game to perform war dances and would not move when asked by security?

Now, Judith, do I think that a few incidents paint an entire culture? No, of course not. That would be silly. But no more silly then saying we should mimic one culture or the other. All cultures have good and bad.

• Vince Ballard South Ogden, UT
    July 16, 2014 8:49 a.m.

No other racial or ethnic group would tolerate the blatant insults and smears found in this piece of trash, and no one should. HBO should know better.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    July 15, 2014 6:45 p.m.

HBO plays a lot of trash. I can't believe people even watch the channel...

• Judith D. Los Angeles, CA
    July 15, 2014 6:16 p.m.

Outlandish. I've known Tongan people for decades, and here's what I tell those less familiar with their culture: "If you want to be a better human being, mimic how Tongans behave." The Tongan culture is full of love and respect. I love them.

I long ago got rid of HBO. I am tempted to order it again, just so that I can cancel it again over this show.

• Doklove Quincy, IL
    July 15, 2014 3:40 p.m.

The petition is going nowhere but to increase revenue for HBO. As long as there is money to be made they will not pull the show and a little controversy will just add to the hype.

Until Americans show courage to turn off shows that are offensive, there will be offensive media produced.

This is showcased well with the Book of Mormon musical. It is a show that is designed to be offensive. It doesn't even try to hide that it is offensive yet Americans are still flocking to it like a dog to its vomit.

The fact that this show is offending someone will probably boost its ratings. Sad but true.

I won't watch.

• RSL* Why, AZ
    July 15, 2014 3:03 p.m.

Here is the problem with having a petition to get the show off the air. You are giving free advertisement for the TV show. If you get enough backers then you may be able to put pressure to get it off the air. But what will likely happen is it will gain more attention and people like me will want to watch it to see why it is controversial. This will generate viewers and revenue and it will stay on the air until it gets boring.

• digger173 PRICE, UT
    July 15, 2014 2:44 p.m.

The story and reviews will keep off my screen.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2014 2:03 p.m.

Uh. . . guys? Big Love has been off the air since 2011. Also, it was a very well done show, that was a rather accurate look at both fundemental Mormonism, as well as main stream Mormonism.

As far as this show it sounds rather distasteful, yet has anyone commenting seen it. No, I don't think so.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    July 15, 2014 12:40 p.m.

Maybe somebody could get "Big Love" off the air too...

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    July 15, 2014 9:26 a.m.

Not everything HBO airs can be a winner. This one appears to be a real stinker but they also air some great material. HBO is currently running a superb documentary that is fact based and objective. It's called The Case Against 8. I highly recommend it.

• Richard Larson Galt, CA
    July 15, 2014 8:04 a.m.

Sounds about right to me.

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    July 15, 2014 12:08 a.m.

Oh gosh. Where to start? I am not Tongan, and I am offended. Its the worst kind of "entertainment": trashy and unfunny.

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    July 14, 2014 8:11 p.m.

I signed the petition.
    Unbelievable that no one along the way to producing this show thought, "Hey, maybe this is a dumb and offensive idea . . ."

• patjan Flower Mound, TX
    July 14, 2014 7:32 p.m.

It is amazing that in this day when being called a racist is considered to be such a crime, that the producers would even consider creating and promoting such a racist show.

My grandparents went on a mission to one of the islands near Tonga many years ago. The people there are good people; much better than this show implies. I am very disappointed that these people are being dishonored in this manner.

HBO does not care about truth; neither do they care that they are spreading falsehoods that lead to prejudice and racism. They care about money. They also have the show called Big Love that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has asked them to stop because it is grossly erroneous, but they will not. It's all about money. Perhaps we could truthfully say that HBO is a prejudice promoting institution.