Sports

High school football: State champs all tabbed as teams to beat in 2014

Comments

• pleblian salt lake city, utah
    July 30, 2014 3:53 p.m.

Timpview is my #1, you can never count them out, they always field 2-3 division one players, they have a smart system and disciplined players, and they play "up" against equal/better teams.

East, based solely upon size and telent, again is a preseason favorite, but has yet to prove it is a post season winner. There is no excuse for not dominating 4A with players like East has. Some say it is coaching. I think the player culture may just be "entitled".

Logan's qb, the most prolific qb in the state last year, was disqualified in the first round. They nearly won their next game anyway. Hence, I'm guessing LHS is not lacking for motivation. 3rd preseason ranking seems to recognize that. Quite a compliment since Logan will be breaking in a new QB in a QB-centered offense. As always, you can count on their defense to be among the top 4 in 4A.

The rest of 4A is a complete unknown.

• wolvie23 Salt Lake, UT
    July 21, 2014 9:25 p.m.

Lol actually guys, my mother-in-law's step sister's cousin's adopted brother's son lived in the same village as his great-great grandpa back in the islands... so yeah that pretty much makes us first cousins haha.

Bingham's defense doesn't have enough answer's for BG's rushing attack with the lost of Heninger and Olsen. Yeah they'll have Langi returning but like I said, not enough answers for a team that averaged almost 300 yards a game. And Bingham certainly doesn't have enough answers or speed, especially with the lost of Manu, for BG's air attack, which returns the nations all-American #1 TE, and a few stud D1 bound WRs.

BG's defense is gonna be stingy as ever... I'll just let you guys find that out for yourselves.

But hey at least Bingham will get to check out the state-of-the-art locker rooms and play on BG's brand new field... that's gotta be a be a big highlight to bring back to the beehive state.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    July 21, 2014 9:01 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bingham beat bishop Gorman. They played the largest high school o line I have ever seen when they beat valor Christian (they averaged 6'5" 300) lbs and bishop Gorman is a lot smaller and Iif they could compete with those guys they can compete with bishop Gorman. Binghams d can hang with anybody and their O, while only having a few starters back, will be just fine.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    July 21, 2014 12:14 p.m.

I saw the O Lu game and even though Bingham didn't play very well, they lost to a legit team in maybe the toughest league in California who happened to have a massive O line that season. Losing once in awhile doesn't mean much when most of the games Bingham plays against out of state competition they win.
    For the population size, and the fact that the best Utah teams are public schools, Utah high school football is very, very strong.
    Just think of all the players in Sandy/Draper/South Jordan/Herriman/Alpine/Highland. Just the all stars from those cities would compete with just about any team in the country year in and year out. The fact that there are 6 teams in those cities who are all quality programs is pretty impressive.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    July 21, 2014 12:08 p.m.

My guess is Wolvie was at a family reunion and heard that a "cousin" plays for BG. So now they are the bees knees of high school football teams. The fact Trinity wouldn't come to Utah to play by Utah rules says a lot. Bingham will hold their own. They may lose that game. They will struggle offensively for the first few games with only 2 returning starters. But their defense will keep them in the games to have a chance.

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2014 9:34 a.m.

I didn't see the game vs Orange LutherAn. Wasn't that the weakest Bingham team in the last 10 years. I think they lost 3-4 games. By the way, I watched BG play once last year. They played Santa Margarita and won in 2OT on a FG. It was a great game. That same Santa Margarita team gave up 54 and was blown out by Orange LutherAn. When you say Bingham can't hang with the top teams in other States, maybe you are right when you refer to CA, TX and FL. Any other state, including CO and NV, I think Bingham will more than hold their own. Just my opinion.

When you made the comment that your cousin plays LB for BG, did you mean your real cousin? When I say cousin, I am referring your mom's or dad's brother's or sister's kids, not an acquaintance or a FB friend. Either way, I hope he plays well and I wish him the best of luck.

• 914NYC St George, UT
    July 21, 2014 12:16 a.m.

Desert Hills and Pine View are loaded again in 3AA South. Hurricane, Cedar and Snow Canyon should be better than last year. Dixie will always be tough and Payson..... Well I don't see them winning a region game again this year. What's happening up North? Would love to know how the 3AA North looks this year.

• JordanFan08 draper, UT
    July 19, 2014 6:37 p.m.

Jordan has 8 returning starters on offense , and 6 returning starters on defense. Reload!!! Cant wait for the season to start.

• wolvie23 Salt Lake, UT
    July 19, 2014 11:44 a.m.

What are you guys' excuses for when Bingham played Orange Lutheren a few hears back?

• factcheck Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2014 1:07 a.m.

Kind of like BG was a top 10 team in the country in baseball a few years ago and Spanish Fork smacked them. I think Bingham will hold their own vs BG. Grant HS won the CIF title a few years back and their only close game was a 35-28 win over Alta, who had several turnovers. Alta beat them either the year before or the year after. The Bingham vTrinity game had some home cooking, the TX officials were not about to let a team from Utah beat their best team. I also think the TX rules had their OLBs a little hesitant. Trinity scored on a DB that tripped and punched one in late to pad the score, something Peck never does. Langi also dropped a wide open pass that would have cut the game to 7 in the 4Q. Trinity refused to come play the next year in Utah. Keep in mind Trinity scored over. 60 in a few playoff games that year. LP basketball has more than held their own vs national powers and Utah youth AAU teams always play well out of state. Utah has better sports than people outside of the State want to admit

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    July 18, 2014 9:11 p.m.

Unfortunately for Utah HS Football they really won't ever be the same caliber as the national powers that you are talking about. First of all, Utah has a low population base of around 3 million which you can draw football players from. The Dallas metro area alone has a population over double of what the entire state of Utah has. That hurts talent base. Racial demographics also play a huge factor. You also do not have many teams that exclusively recruit the very best athletes from the entire state (and even sometimes from the country) and board them up at their school. Juan Diego is one such school but the catholic populace in Utah is so low that it doesn't tip it so much in their favor. Bingham gets out of area players, but its not near the same level as those private schools in California. Imagine a football team comprised of the elite players in Utah HS football all on the same team. That would be the equivalent of Valor Christian or St. John Bosco prep. That would be a dang good football team, and one that I believe could compete with almost anyone in the country.

• wolvie23 Salt Lake, UT
    July 18, 2014 6:40 p.m.

Jazzer: My cousin is the starting middle LB there at BG so yeah I'm pretty jealous that he gets to play against the best Utah can offer.

Gunner: So now that we're comparing apples to apples all the sudden rankings aren't reliable anymore huh? Lol

HSFAN: Like I said before, BG is on a different hype than VC was last year and the year before. Bingham hasn't played a team like this since they played Trinity at Texas. And I give props to all the Ut coaches (Alta, Jordan, East) for playing big time out of state schools, it makes all teams better for the games in November.

Unfortunately for Bingham they risk their potential national ranking when they lose to BG. They might when their state title but fans will see that Utah schools are still a work in progress when it comes to HS football.

• HSFAN Salt Lake City, UT
    July 18, 2014 3:01 p.m.

Hey Wolvie-
    Just last year, Valor had 9 players that signed letters, including 5 players who received FBS scholarships. McCaffrey (Stanford) Marcus Wilson (Colorado State) and offensive linemen Ryan Cummings (Wyoming), Isaiah Holland (Army) and Alec Ruth (Kansas State). All five starting offensive linemen received scholarships. That does not even count underclassmen like Brian Dawkins Jr. They also signed a handful from the year before when Bingham beat them the first time.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    July 18, 2014 2:14 p.m.

National pre season rankings are about as reliable as our current President Wolvie. You may be right. But no matter what, I can guarantee you that Bingham will be one of the final four left in November.

• jazzer St. George, UT
    July 18, 2014 11:44 a.m.

@Wolvie23 Apparently you're jealous. As a fan of Dixie High, I support any high school team that plays out of state. Bingham played them tough, and it was rules they weren't used to so that has some factor to it. I think Bingham has proven to be the best high school football program the last few years.

• GoldenGrizz86 West Jordan, UT
    July 18, 2014 6:29 a.m.

Pumped to see Bingham and BG. I think BG will prove too much for them. Bingham will smack around most of their Utah competition though. Jordan is still good, but nearly as good as they were. I think Herriman is going to be real tough in 5A. In 4A you'll have the usual suspects and I am hoping a surprise team or two rise up.

• wolvie23 Salt Lake, UT
    July 17, 2014 5:02 p.m.

Gunner: This years Maxpreps preseason rankings has BIshop Gorman at #13 . We're not talking about last years apples bud. I'm just saying BG will be a faster & bigger team than Valor Christian was if Bingham fans are thinking that's what they're up against in September.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    July 17, 2014 10:59 a.m.

Wolvie: BG wasn't a top 20 team last year. They finished 66 Nationally! Start comparing apples to apples bud.

• wolvie23 Salt Lake, UT
    July 17, 2014 10:50 a.m.

Jazzer: you're right Bingham's history of the last game against a top 20 team (Trinity, Euless Texas) will surely repeat itself. When the game is played don't forget where you read it first :)

• jazzer St. George, UT
    July 17, 2014 8:33 a.m.

@Wolvie123.... You seem so sure of the results to this game. We won't know till this game is played. History shows that Bingham has and will contend and make this an interesting game.

• jazzer St. George, UT
    July 17, 2014 8:31 a.m.

Things are just handed to you @dchabc313. You need to earn a top ranking. The coaches around the league feel that LP is not a top 5 team. If they are, then they will prove it on the field this fall.

• wolvie23 Salt Lake, UT
    July 16, 2014 6:39 p.m.

Gunner: Valor Christian had one big time all-star, Bishop Gorman has 4 or 5 playmakers of the same caliber on both sides of the ball. BG has weapons everywhere. Bingham's defense this year won't hang with those guys.

• dchabc313 Boise, ID
    July 16, 2014 4:07 p.m.

Not really sure why LP isn't in the top 5 after they have been to the U four years now. Regardless of the talent they return, they have earned the respect of one of the top programs in the state until proven otherwise.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    July 16, 2014 1:34 p.m.

GoldenGrizz86,

So who are you refering to if these rankings are not good teams?!
    Jordan, Brighton Bingham are all 3 of the best teams in 5A this year, and they all went to the U last year in the final 4, so I am confused what your worried about?!

I do like Timpview again, but Corner Canyon will be a team to look out for. I dont know what herriman returns besides there big two linemen,

Bingham might be starting 3 sophs on there O line but they are big dudes but well see how it goes!

Just excited for some football period!
    Bingham wont go undefeated this year!

• FatMan86 West Jordan, UT
    July 16, 2014 11:05 a.m.

I see some great games looming in every classification. Its great to see such interest and excitement for HS football. The season can't get here soon enough!

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    July 16, 2014 10:43 a.m.

Wolvie: Just like when they played the best team in Colorado last year and beat them right? As for the DB's, they have a corner and a safety returning this year from last year's squad. 1 of which was all state I believe. DB's won't be their issue. They may not go unbeaten this year. But I guarantee you that they will be there in the end.

• GoldenGrizz86 West Jordan, UT
    July 16, 2014 8:32 a.m.

Why didn't they rank any good teams?

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2014 11:15 p.m.

C'mon plyplx

Corner Caanyon needs to win something first before they get the accolades. Over Timpview? Winners of 7 of the last 10 State Championships? And over East? I would be happy with CC at 5.

• wolvie23 Salt Lake, UT
    July 15, 2014 11:13 p.m.

I really doubt Bingham will finish the season unbeaten. They play nationally ranked Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas the 3rd week into the season. That's where the in-state teams will find Binghams weakness. I'm pretty sure it'll be with their DBs.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 15, 2014 4:57 p.m.

I agree with Timpview at the top and East right behind them but Logan in the top five? They don't have half the experience back so there is no way they should be ranked that high.

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    July 15, 2014 2:27 p.m.

@plyxply
    No question Corner Canyon returns a lot of talent. However, there are other schools returning just as much or more: Bingham, Herriman, Timpview, possibly Brighton and Jordan (I know they have some guys returning that are excellent, however I'm not sure how many). I don't know how many underclassmen Syracuse played at the varsity level last year, but I know their senior class is pretty dang good.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    July 15, 2014 11:06 a.m.

5a behind Bingham is pretty wide open this year. Brighton, Jordan, Herriman, and American Fork will all field great teams with some great players returning. lone Peak and PG are going to be rebuilding a bit this year. LP has the talent but almost no experience. Davis and Northridge will be good teams as well. I'm looking forward to a great season.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    July 15, 2014 10:32 a.m.

CC maybe should be up 1 more spot over Woods Cross. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say they will be the best team in the state for 4A and 5A.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    July 15, 2014 9:02 a.m.

Corner Canyon should be ranked higher, they have more talent coming back than anyone in the state. I expect CC will be the top team in the state, both 4A and 5A.