Sports

Jimmer Fredette returns to Provo to talk anti-bullying, free agency and hoops with local youths

Comments

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    July 14, 2014 5:51 a.m.

I'd like to see more of Jimmer on the court and less of him in the D News.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    July 11, 2014 2:30 p.m.

Jimmer will end up with the celtics.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    July 10, 2014 4:31 p.m.

There are too many casual fans that want to spew misinformation without knowing the facts, Jimmer isn't as slow afoot as many want to say he is, pull up his times at the NBA combine and you'll see he was faster and quicker than alot of top flight players. Jimmer has the tool/skills to play in the NBA but he needs to find the right team/situation. He shot almost 48% from 3 point range last year, one of the tops in the nba. He has good handles and can create for himself and others, time will tell but I see him finding a good fit and having a good career.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    July 10, 2014 3:52 p.m.

People that jump to the Jimmer-Morrison comparison are only seeing skin color. They played different positions, have different skill sets, and Morrison never exhibited anything resembling an elite NBA skill. Legit 30-foot range is a skill some team will figure out how to use, considering the league's increasing reliance on the three.

Also, in regards to ". . in the NBA you have to play good defense or your opponent will eat you up," somebody apparently missed this rule when playing Steve Nash and Steph Curry, and even Kevin Martin and Brandon Jennings (an ineffcient offensive player and a tragic defender). Do you want to call them or should I?

HaHaHaHa, you had me for most of your post, but the "NBA players are thugs" line is another and tired cliche. It's also inaccurate. The handful of jerks that get headlines (and how many have we seen recently) are the ones casual (read: uninformed) fans remember. And, let's put it this way: if a league full of mostly white players had the same off-court track record as today's NBA, I doubt you'd be calling them "thugs." Just a theory.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 10, 2014 11:27 a.m.

@Ha

Morrixon was a head case, and he can't play defense. Same with Jimmer. I'm sure Jimmer is a lot more stable than Morrison, but in the NBA you have to play good defense or your opponent will eat you up. I'm a huge Gonzaga fan, but other than Stockton many years ago; former Zags really haven't done much in the NBA. Austin Daye, Ronny Turriaf, Jeremy Pargo, Robert Sacre, etc. Oh well, I believe Jimmer is a straight up guy; just tough to make it in the NBA. As far as being a team in the NBA; look no further than this years Spurs. They man handled the Heat and I loved it. Thanks for the response; and have a good day Guy!

• chiksika Hyrum, UT
    July 10, 2014 10:56 a.m.

Nothing but total admiration for this chap. I rarely watch pro anything since, as I see it, the most enjoyable game is college and less, and I am getting less fond of NCAA.

WASP

• HaHaHaHa Othello, WA
    July 10, 2014 10:33 a.m.

@ Spokane Ute.

Being a Gonzaga fan, I have no reason to "dis" former players, but I have to Morrison comes across as a bit of a head case. I don't know him, so I admit I could certainly be wrong about that. That said, I don't see Jimmer being that way at all. He seems very straight up, hard working, and a class act guy. He may never really make it in the NBA, but that is not because he doesn't have talent. Same with Morrison, and other guys like them. It is more because they are not a good fit in the NBA.
    It has made some improvement, but most of the NBA is more about being a thug, then being a team, working hard and showing some class. Yes, the NBA is full of superior athletes, but if that is really what it's all about the Boston Celtics wouldn't own even 2 world championships.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    July 10, 2014 10:06 a.m.

@ Joe Schmoe

Remember the time when he dropped 0 points in 0 minutes in this years playoff series vs. Washington?

Jimmer = Adam Morrison = Bust

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    July 10, 2014 10:00 a.m.

Good message Jimmer, you are a classy guy!

• Alpiner Alpine, UT
    July 10, 2014 9:58 a.m.

This guy is a class act. I think it is interesting that most BYU fans were pulling for Alex Smith when he was getting jerked around in SF but the Utah fans go out of their way to rip on Jimmer.

• gchris rock springs, wy
    July 10, 2014 9:17 a.m.

@rvalens2

It is always interesting to see comments from fans about Jimmer's lack of quickness, foot speed, athleticism, but you never hear that from guys who have had to guard him. It was once famously said, "the opera ain't over 'til the fat lady sings." In Jimmer's case, she ain't sung yet.

• Sore loser tampa, fl
    July 10, 2014 9:10 a.m.

The worst thing about Jimmer was that You Got Jimmered chant. That was low class. Jimmer will find his way, especially because he is as athletic as the next guy but peeps don't want to admit it. Who can run cones better, zero people, case rested.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    July 9, 2014 11:53 p.m.

I'd like to see the Jazz bring Jimmer Fredette on as a shooting coach. He may be slow of foot, but no one can deny that he knows how to shoot.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    July 9, 2014 11:51 p.m.

@Joe Schmoe

Good times? That depends on which team you were rooting for. As a Ute, my comment was "Yikes! I can't believe he made that half-court shot." It was salt in the wound my friend . . . salt in the wound.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    July 9, 2014 10:26 p.m.

Remember that time Jimmer dropped 47 points on Utah including that shot from around half court at the first half buzzer? Good times my friends.