Sports

Dick Harmon: Jimmer Fredette still floating free agent balloons while in Utah

Comments

• BigMagoo Layton, UT
    July 15, 2014 9:44 a.m.

@Uteology

I've actually just shown you that they're not true, and you've just helped make my point that it's basically been impossible for him to convince people of that, even though the numbers are right there.

The next season, Damian (who I actually really like) tested slower and weaker than Jimmer, and somehow drew Derrick Rose comparisons. How is it that the technically faster and stronger one is too small and too slow for the league, but the slower and weaker one gets compared to the most explosive guy in the league?

• Common-Tator Saint Paul, MN
    July 8, 2014 4:40 p.m.

It may very well be that the Jimmer situation is precisely why commenting was invented. It is highly likely the humble Mr. Fredette will never get major minutes for any NBA team, deserved or not. It is also likely that if he remains in the league for the next several years, his stats will be quite similar to what they have been in Sac/Chi ... and on the surface, that isn't all that bad. But he will continue to be lampooned by those who don't like him and supported by those that do --- again, why commenting was invented.

That he has already made more money than I did in 30+ years as a US Army Officer also shows that our national priorities are considerably out of whack. He won't complain about the money, nor about the lampooning. And he will remain a class act both for detractors and supporters.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    July 7, 2014 11:31 p.m.

Jimmer will end up in Boston.

• Blitzkreigboy26 provo, UT
    July 7, 2014 10:23 a.m.

The fact that Uteology makes negative comments on every single article about Jimmer just proves that Jimmer really got under his skin in college... by kicking the Utes trash! Sign him up Jazz, make the Ute fans love him (though that might be impossible for Uteology)

• Jasman St Anthony, ID
    July 7, 2014 10:07 a.m.

I went to a Jazz v. Kings game last year. Every time Jimmer got the ball, supposed Ute fans would boo him. He should be somewhere else than in Salt Lake City where the animosity level runs high.

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    July 7, 2014 7:15 a.m.

I'm disappointed in the Jazz. Sign Jimmer already. He will play for peanuts, be a public relations bonanza, and he can stretch the floor and shoot lights out in the 15 minutes he will get per night. Instead they will sign some no name or John Lucas the III and we the fans will be bored.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 7, 2014 7:07 a.m.

@sammyg, et al (aka Jimmer Groupies)

It wasn't Utah fans, you were warned by ESPN analysts like Rick Reilly and Colin Cowherd that he wasn't NBA worthy:

"I hope I'm wrong, but I believe Jimmer is going to struggle at the next level...he's too small to play shooting guard, and I'm not sure he has the point guard skills and instincts to be an NBA starter."

"Until he shows more interest in defense than a blind man has in rainbows, he's going to spend most of his NBA life sitting on padded folding chairs...you think this barely 6-2 kid with no speed and YMCA hops can be the next Maravich or Ainge or Westbrook? Fredette about it."

"Finally, the Jimmer was unveiled as 90 percent media creation, 10 percent basketball prodigy... Laughable. The Jimmer and that hype is done! That guy, trust me, is coming to an NBA bench near you."

"If his last college game is what he's bringing to the NBA, then I'd say, in five years, he's got a really good chance to be your Provo area Isuzu dealer."

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 7, 2014 6:49 a.m.

@BigMagoo

Narrative by others? You mean analysis by NBA scouts and team executives? What makes you better at judging NBA talent than them?

As of today, your predictions are wrong according to NBA teams who don't think he's proven to be fast and strong enough in ACTUAL NBA games.

The combine numbers were good enough for him to get drafted #10, just like Kwame Brown. And like Brwon, Jimmer's play in practice and in actual games, at Sacramento and Chicago, have proven to "not be NBA worthy".

Does he deserve another chance? Sure why not, third time's a charm.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 6, 2014 3:07 p.m.

U-Pac, et al

And despite your and your buddies best little temper tantrums to say he wasn't NBA worthy he WAS drafted and HAS played NBA basketball and probably will continue to do so.

Your obsession with BYU sports and all things Jimmer is appreciated.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    July 6, 2014 3:05 p.m.

Here is one Ute fan that hopes Jimmer suceeds in whatever he decides to do. But please Cougars, there is no conspiracy against Jimmer. If he could play at that elite level, as so many claim, he would be. He's gotten a chance, every day in practice.

• BigMagoo Layton, UT
    July 5, 2014 6:37 p.m.

@Uteology

So, my prediction was correct then? You completely ignore that he's proven to be easily fast and strong enough, and just stick with the narrative - the narrative that the others have created while also ignoring that he out-sprinted and out-lifted these other "stronger and more athletic" guards.

Don't get me wrong - he's by no means perfect. He still needs to work on his defense and needs to limit his TOs. But he is absolutely big, fast, strong, and skilled enough for the NBA. He's also still one of the best shooters.

In the 4 games before getting benched by the Kings his rookie season, he got to start, and averaged 16.5 ppg and shot over 60% from downtown - not bad for a rook. He was finally getting into a groove, and they ripped that opportunity right away from him. I had never seen a team do that to a lottery pick before. After that it didn't matter if he scored 20 points in 10 minutes - he would ride the bench the next game either way. This is why we say he's gotten screwed so far. I just hope he gets a real chance next year.

• Crow Sandy , UT
    July 5, 2014 5:29 p.m.

Of course jimmer is still waiting for a call that will never come. On of the biggest busts since Hoffa

• CJ Miles Dallas, TX
    July 5, 2014 1:51 p.m.

I would like to see Jimmer get some quality minutes and see what he can do. But I do not feel sorry for him. If he truly wanted to play basketball, he would be working on his weaknesses daily until they are no longer a weakness. His athletic ability, quickness and basketball IQ shows he has all the tools to be a NBA player. My question is does he have the work ethic, discipline, heart and passion to be better? No question he can shoot. Whoever made the comment that he can't create his own shot has never watched him play basketball. If you watch Jimmer in the NBA, he shows no heart. He stands around waiting for things to happen. He shows no aggression on the court to move and make things happen. So Jimmer needs to make a decision, go 100% all out when on the court or sit on the bench or bleachers. It's really his decision.

• ute alumni SLC, UT
    July 5, 2014 1:46 p.m.

Drafting Jimmer on to the Jazz roster is the only way this guy would buy tickets to go to any games. The teamis boring and full of nobodys.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 5, 2014 1:39 p.m.

@sammyg: "I think I'll humor myself and watch a Youtube of Jimmer vs. U of U. It will forever be an all time classic. Just the half court shot was amazing enough.

All time classic? Really?

Classic was when Andre Miller led Utah to the Final 4 in 1998. Thumping defending champions Arizona and taking down a program like North Carolina in the F4. Every indication is that Utah is back, I'm not claiming we are at that level. When BYU got Jimmered last season was a good indicator of where the program is headed.

Also, classic was when we rolled over BYU twice on our way to thumping #25 Pitt and #6 Alabama."

------------------------

@sammyg: "I wonder when the U of U will do what the 'fans' said it would do in football in the PAC 10?"

I wonder when BYU will do what all those 50,000 "Quest" t-shirts said it would do? Looking at your 2014 schedule BYU has only 2 teams to worry about, beat them and BYU has a great chance at airport celebrations in late November.

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    July 5, 2014 12:38 p.m.

N B A hmmmm.

• QDiesel SLC, UT
    July 5, 2014 12:19 p.m.

Welcome to the D League Jimmer!

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    July 5, 2014 11:48 a.m.

"The BYU/LDS haters..."

"The anti-BYU commenters..."

I am not only active LDS, but also a graduate of BYU and a BYU Fan. There is no requirement of my religion that I love Jimmer. There is no requirement of my BYU Alumni Association that I love Jimmer.

And most importantly, I don't "hate" anyone (except maybe those who so cavalierly call others "haters").

My opinion is that Jimmer is overrated. That does not mean I hate the guy. I don't think he has a future in the NBA. I think he was fortunate to have lasted as long as he has. At most, his value seems to have been to serve as a high-priced practice mannequin for two NBA teams for the past few years.

And for goodness' sake, just because I don't believe Jimmer is a grate basketball player does NOT mean that I am a UTE fan! Get real!

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 5, 2014 11:13 a.m.

Standing ovations in *provo for what he did at *byu. Yay!

I don't recall any standing ovations in Sac-town or Chi-town.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    July 5, 2014 11:01 a.m.

@sammy

"He's already done what most Ute fans said he couldn't... make it to the NBA."

I think your disappointment with Jimmer's career has led you to hyperbole. He was one of the best, if not the best, college player in the country at one point. I don't know a single Ute fan who said he wouldn't make it to the NBA. That's nowhere near "most".

There were some Ute fans who said he wouldn't make it IN the NBA, and unfortunately it seems they were right.

I for one loved watching Jimmer in college and wish him nothing but the best. I hope he gets another shot in the league.

• Man in Charge Chihuahua, 00
    July 5, 2014 10:36 a.m.

Brio

"Sacramento has (or had) one of the worst coaching staffs in professional basketball. They make Tyrone Corbin look like a genius in comparison. My high school coach seemed more competent.
    Chicago simply had no room for him when he landed there so late in the season."

And if a next team signs him ,it will be their fault that he can't get off the bench and so on and so fourth. It's never Jimmers fault, it's always the teams fault right? Minutes in the NBA aren't given, they are earned.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    July 5, 2014 9:59 a.m.

The Ute obsession for Jimmer is palpable.

By the way... Jimmer got standing ovations up and down the parade route in Provo yesterday.

He's already done what most Ute fans said he couldn't... make it to the NBA.

I think I'll humor myself and watch a Youtube of Jimmer vs. U of U.

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    July 5, 2014 8:04 a.m.

At least they allowed him to put LDS BULLS on his jersey. Prior to his draft, this is pretty much where I thought he would be after his first contract. Great guy, but just dos'nt have the overall skills.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    July 5, 2014 12:17 a.m.

May be time for Jimmer to hit the road to Europe or Aisa. He's a good player and just needs to find the right team. Either way, he probably made more money last year than most of us and is a heck of a young man.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 5, 2014 12:06 a.m.

@Captain L

---------------

You mean like the fact that not a single NBA team would trade for Jimmer?

The fact that everyone, including the Jazz, would love to have Jabari Parker?

Hopefully, Parker signs with the Jazz after his rookie contract. Maybe by then Jimmer fans have will have excepted reality.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 4, 2014 11:34 p.m.

@BigMagoo

If the accusations of being to weak or slow are correct, then what are these 3 all-stars doing in the league? Did they jog through the combine? The only other explanation is that despite the preconceived notions, Jimmer is one of the faster and stronger guards in the league.

---------

Ben

You'll have to ask the 29 NBA teams that would not trade with Sacramento if they are true or not. I just quoted you what was said.

• Brio Alpine, UT
    July 4, 2014 8:17 p.m.

The anti-BYU commenters are so predictable that its almost funny. The is absolutely nothing Jimmer could do to warrant a positive comment from any of them. They will never get over the humiliation he laid on their team. Therefore, their criticisms need to be taken with a grain of salt and then discarded afterwards.

Chicago simply had no room for him when he landed there so late in the season.

Jimmer is still one of the best shooters in all the NBA. And his defense is rated better than literally half of the current Jazz roster. On top of that, he's a genuine class act... unlike many of his detractors. He'll definitely end up somewhere in the NBA.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 4, 2014 7:39 p.m.

With his long-range shooting skill there is a place for Jimmer in the NBA. Still, I wouldn't play hard to get. Blaming poor teams and bad coaches is wearing thin. Four coaches on two teams have limited Jimmer's minutes because of poor defense. That can be fixed. Get it done.

• ekute Layton, UT
    July 4, 2014 7:35 p.m.

Da Bulls will gladly trade Jimmer, Boozer, Brewer and a couple of draft picks for the Beard.

Y-Ask-Y?,
    Only in happy valley is Jimmer overrated. Everybody else knows that he's going to Europe or a coaching job in Glens Falls or at LPHS.

• BigMagoo Layton, UT
    July 4, 2014 7:30 p.m.

@Uteology

So, the scout said: "Where's the strength? Where's the foot quickness? Where's the length? He's way down in the equation physically in the NBA."

Here are some combine stats of him compared to other "athletic" guards that nobody mentions:

Jimmer:

3/4 court sprint: 3.22 secs
    Agility: 11.09 secs

Damian Lillard:
    Bench Press: 13 reps
    3/4 court sprint: 3.34 secs
    Agility: 11.15 secs

Jimmer needs a consistent chance, but everybody goes by these untrue accusations about his athleticism, size, and defense. And when he's out of the NBA, Ute fans will continue to ignore these facts and stick to the narrative that the best Cougar ever was too small and slow for the NBA. Now at least you know.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    July 4, 2014 7:20 p.m.

The BYU/LDS haters don't have a problem bashing Jimmer, it isn't based on facts just on hate. Jimmer hasn't been given a truely good opportunity ,and if he does get one he will produce, he isn't a great or even a good defensive player but he's not so bad he can't be used. Those who hate him ignore the facts, his shooting is among the elite and he just needs a coach and team that chooses to use him properly. Jimmer can put the ball on the floor and create both for himself and for others, if he gets the chance he'll show it.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 4, 2014 7:19 p.m.

@jazzhater

He didn't use his stats from China. He just mentioned that he played in China last year. The stats he used we're from the last time Telfair was in the NBA

--------

I stand corrected, apologies to Dick!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 4, 2014 7:11 p.m.

@JinaYi87
    "So yes, let's compare Jimmer to Telfair's NBA career; there was a reason Telfair was in China: 47% > 30% from 3."

-------------

There's a reason why Sacramento couldn't even get a "bag of chips" for Jimmer, and had to cut him.

I find it funny that Jimmer fans are ripping Telfair, a nine year NBA veteran whose was traded to (aka whose skill set was in demand by) several NBA teams during his career.

From what I have read Telfair was brought into OKC to provide more depth at the point guard. As a Jimmer fan you should already know Jimmer can't play the point. If not let me remind you what experts have said:

"Jimmer Fredette will be in Europe in a year or two. He has no future in the league. None. He can't create his own shot, he has a hard time coming off screens for a shot and he's not a point guard."

• jazzhater Humble, TX
    July 4, 2014 6:52 p.m.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    July 4, 2014 6:42 p.m.

I've said it before, and it will say it again: Jimmer is overrated.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 4, 2014 6:23 p.m.

@JinaYi87

Is Jimmer NBA quality? Who knows.

-----------

How about the coaching staff of Kings and Bulls not to mention most NBA scouts and experts.

My bad, Telfair indeed has 10 years of NBA experience averaging about 21 minutes per game as mostly a journey man. He's a role player, which apparently is in demand in the NBA. We will see if they think Jimmer is NBA quality in a similar role.

But my statment still holds, Telfair wasn't offered a contract for his game in China. No idea why Dick used those stats.

Cougar Nation, the reason Jimmer is still a free agent is not due to lack of shooting skills, it's everything else:

“I think Jimmer is a terrific open shooter. He has an offensive skill-set. He has the desire. [But] Jimmer Fredette has never shown that he can do all that much in the NBA,” a veteran NBA scout told Breitbart Sports. Fredette, he explains, lacks the physical attributes required to play at an elite level in the NBA. “Where’s the strength? Where’s the foot quickness? Where’s the length? He’s way down in the equation physically in the NBA.”

• jazzhater Humble, TX
    July 4, 2014 6:06 p.m.

This article pinpoints my opinions on the Jimmer situation. He's by no means an all-star, or a starter, but he's better than a lot of guys in the league. I hope he gets another shot, Ute fans comments notwithstanding.

Oh, Pearl.94 - I'm from Houston and a Rockets fan...your assessment on the Beard is accurate.

• JinaYi87 Norman, OK
    July 4, 2014 5:55 p.m.

Telfair is not a 13 year veteran: He was drafted in 2004 (Which was only...10 years ago). And has moved teams pretty much every year. OKC is like his 10th team. So no one really seemed to think he was indispensable. He has had 6 NBA seasons shooting below 30% from 3. And pretty much no other redeeming qualities. Not gawdy numbers. So yes, let's compare Jimmer to Telfair's NBA career; there was a reason Telfair was in China: 47% > 30% from 3.

Is Jimmer NBA quality? Who knows. I think it would be cool if OKC picked him up. I have no idea what Sam Presti is thinking getting Telfair. Awful pickup in my opinion. I think most of us for OKC would way rather have Jimmer. He could shore up Sefolosha's dip in shooting.

• Pearl.94 Riverton, UT
    July 4, 2014 5:46 p.m.

Jimmer's defense is not as bad as people think. He plays better D than James Hardin. Somebody needs to give him a decent chance.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 4, 2014 5:01 p.m.

The reason Sebastian Telfair got a free agent contract has nothing to do with his stats from last year in China.

It's the fact that he is a proven 13 year NBA veteran. It seems Dick (aka Jimmer fan) left that fact out when he tried to compare and validate Jimmer's NBA qualifications. A better comparison would have been Telfair's NBA career.