100% Engaged in The Work, that brings the best two years of anyone's life.
No greater privilege than to be able to say you are a "personal
representative of the Lord Jesus Christ." None.
I've always been leery of the "best two years" catchphrase. It
sounds too much like something you have to say to get a date in Provo. I
certainly hope that my mission was not the best two years of my life. I would
call it a very rewarding two years in which I served honorably, learned much,
and did my very best most of the time (thanks be to God for having mercy on my
human shortcomings). But now, nearly a decade later with a wife and soon to be
family, I've seen better. Much better. I am by leaps and bounds a better
person than I was then, and I really hope that another 10 years from now I will
look back on today and say something similar. If you have been home from your
mission for more than two years, and you still call your mission the "best
two years" of your life, you need to rethink your trajectory. Life is about
progression, not reliving the "glory days" because of a false sense of
spirituality. You aren't "done" when you get home--you are just
One man we didn't baptize while I was on my mission, although we did
baptize his wife and daughter, later on became baptized and was called to be
stake president. Small successes do multiply greatly.
Spot on cartoon, those that claim this is a negative cartoon wear rose colored
glasses. Face it, if your working and doing what you're suppose too, its
95% difficult work.But the other 5% makes it well worth it.
Where to begin? I went on my Mission because I knew it was what the Savior
wanted me to do. I was taught extensively to rely upon the Spirit of the Lord to
guide me in all that I do. I was also taught to keep the commandments and to
stay in tune with the Spirit of the Lord, so that I would be receptive to
promptings of the Spirit. I was taught that in teaching and contacting people
(the Lord's children) that the Spirit of the Lord would lead me, and that
He would open minds and hearts to hear and receive His message. I was also
taught that IF conversion took place, that it was as a result of the promptings
of the Holy Spirit of God, and that ALL glory goes to the Most High God. As a
result, when I came home from my wonderful 2 year mission, it was, has been, and
may always be, the best 2 years of my entire adult life! To me, nothing compares
to complete devotion to the service of our Father in Heaven and His children! I
am redeemed, and my mission is a testimony of my redemption!
OneAmerican - I didn't get the begrudingly undertone either. To me the
cartoon is a reflection of looking back on any major life experience -- whether
that be mission, college, marriage or parenting. You know in advance from
anecdotal discussion that it will be tough but you don't really know for
yourself. And you want to do it because you believe that it is right for you.
Reflecting after the experience, you recognize both the challenges and the
rewards and you acknowledge that the rewards were greater than the many
challenges. But I think you're reaching (and reflecting your own feelings)
if you read into the cartoon that he went begrudgingly.
1 success will multiply into and endless amount. Joseph Smith was 1 convert and
now there are 15 million currently alive because of his conversion story. The
truth is something that will always continue on, so every time even one person
will hear it, it is a great victory.OneAmerican,Or
perhaps it sounds like someone who is making a joke with common phrases? Just
saying, I'm not sure it was meant negatively.
The cartoon sounds like someone who served his mission begrudgingly and
didn't give it 100%. Anyone I know who serves a mission wholeheartedly
doesn't have to "convince themselves" it was the best two years of
their lives up to that point because it was. Perhaps his attempt at humor is
actually a Freudian slip.
Walking in the Savior's footsteps is what makes the two years of infinite
worth. Fortunately, the "handful of successes" includes improving
yourself and benefiting an eternal family.