Sports

Jazz get their 6-8 forward from Duke with 2nd first-round pick

Comments

• Idahotransplant West Jordan, UT
    June 27, 2014 8:09 a.m.

The reason why Hood was team captain at Duke was because of his character and leadership on the floor. The games I saw of Duke he was consistent defensively and many times an equal to Jabari Parker offensively.

Jazz nation needs to be patient. There is a new coach, a new system, new players, and I have a feeling that Lindsey and co. are not done. Hayward needs to be signed and there are some free agents out there that could become significant role players. A good team of role players, who plat great defense can win under a great system.

With the potential of this team offensively I would suggest the goal of this team should be top 10 in the NBA defensively. A rotation of Burke, Burk, Exxum, Hayward(if signed), Hood, Marvin Williams(if signed), Favors and Kantor and a quality free agent or two. Favors plays grat defense and Marvin williams plays great defense.....One thing that will be interesting to see is if Jeremy Evans has put on more muscle mass, speed and has improved defensively.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    June 27, 2014 7:47 a.m.

Coming from Duke, he will be a disciplined and fundamentally sound player. I am sure that this is a Coach Snyder pick. The idea now is to take a look at free agents. I would say that the team should "sign and trade" Hayward to the Celtics where he wants to go.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    June 26, 2014 11:44 p.m.

I like Hoods game a lot. He looked as good almost as good as Parker the games I watched. I like that he has a chip on his shoulder too, like that Matthews guy up in Portland. Exum and Hood. Man we scored in this draft.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 26, 2014 11:23 p.m.

I like Hood but I'm not overly excited about him , he needs strength and toughness, I don't see him being much of a contributor as a rookie but I hope I'm wrong.

• Whitebread Platte City, MO
    June 26, 2014 9:53 p.m.

Love this pick! Nice draft Jazz!

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    June 26, 2014 9:49 p.m.

The Jazz made excellent picks on all three of their draft picks. However, I see two things that might come back to bite the Jazz:

(1) Kyle Anderson is going to be another situation like the year the Jazz failed to draft Parker when they had an opportunity to do so, and the Spurs took him, The rest is history.

(2( Trading Stokes was a bad, bad decision. He is an absolute beast, on offense and defense. Memphis stole one from the Jazz on this one.

Hopefully, they will come out ok with the two they did draft. Go Jazz!

• scalman Temecula, CA
    June 26, 2014 8:26 p.m.

Excellent pick for Jazz. Can shoot from anywhere, and like Exum, solid character and team-first type player. Needs to add some weight, needs to work on defense, but could start if Hayward isn't signed by Jazz. Would love to see him back up Hayward and provide consistent shooting for Jazz second group.