Utah

Swallow, Shurtleff used jet, houseboat, Ferrari of indicted businessman

Investigators seized $10K in cash from Swallow's Sandy home

Comments

• Transaction7 Commerce, Texas
    July 24, 2014 6:19 p.m.

Interesting.

For what kind of "emergencies" does an attorney and politician, or ex-attorney and ex-politician, keep that kind of folding cash and an airline ticket (to where?) around?

I do question supposedly professional law enforcement officials pointing guns and a laser sight at a 17 year old girl in this situation, which would traumatize her and could have led to a tragedy.

• woodysworld Sandy, UT
    June 26, 2014 2:33 a.m.

10 K hardly buys a tank of gas anymore. You'd need all of it to fill up the tank of that houseboat mentioned (recently auctioned off for $125K). It has a 600 + gallon gas tank. Gas on the lake at POWELL ain't cheap.:)

Total speculation, but it's more likely that Swallow had that money around in cash in fear of his bank accounts being seized or shut down by any of several agencies or collectors. Sad story for both these men and their families.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    June 25, 2014 10:54 a.m.

Seems to me that Sim Gill is 1 for 1 and about to go 2 for 2 on charging public officials who ought to be charged for crimes.

Can he run for AG? He's a Democrat and I'm a Republican (at least that's what my voter registration says), but if an election were held today and he was running, I'd vote for him over Sean Reyes or anyone else I know about. Seems he's actually doing his job.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 25, 2014 12:04 a.m.

Well at least they will get free pensions and government (taxpayer) supported health care fir the rest of their lives....

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    June 24, 2014 1:47 p.m.

Driving a Ferrari is a crime? It seems more like a travesty.

• Jimmytheliberal Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2014 11:47 a.m.

@GiuseppeG...One wonders how much would get accomplished in our country if you gave our President as much rope as you give these two accused criminals.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    June 24, 2014 10:15 a.m.

I thought Swallow was in financial distress. Why the large amount of cash? Keeping large amounts of cash at home is not a common practice. Why is the Davis County Atty involved? I thought they both lived in Sandy. Just wondering.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    June 24, 2014 6:29 a.m.

@BSR;

My thoughts exactly.

• wjalden Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 23, 2014 10:43 p.m.

"As I read this stuff I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole. . . it just get curiouser and curiouser. Welcome to the wacky world of one party politics in Utah."

Detroit, New York, L.A., Chicago...don't travel much, do ya?

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    June 23, 2014 10:27 p.m.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    June 23, 2014 9:57 p.m.

Oh that we had this SWAT team working in Washington D.C. at the Justice Department, the IRS, State Department, and the White House!

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    June 23, 2014 7:30 p.m.

Dixie Dan -

" . . . he said he was a Reagan Republican."

Well, isn't he?

The Reagan Administration is known for numerous dirty dealing, such as trading arms to our enemies in Iran and bringing illegal shipments of cocaine into major American Cities to get money to fund the Contras.

Swallow's misdeeds are small potatoes comparatively.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    June 23, 2014 7:18 p.m.

The $10,000 and plane ticket sound as if it is from the Law and Order series. These type or stories almost sound real and could become part of Lawless and Orderless in Utah or on capital hill or Capitol Hill. As Jack Webb used to say, "The names have been changed to protect the innocent."

We live in interesting times, sort of like the Helaman and Alma times when the judges or attorneys were running the government and the Chief Judges got changed out one by one. History repeats itself, sort of like other stories in the paper today..

• concretebo Sandy, UT
    June 23, 2014 6:12 p.m.

Go Sim Gill !!! Its about time somebody gets to the truth of these matters !!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 23, 2014 4:39 p.m.

I'm curious what is meant by this statement from the article: "several journals including one with a picture of Jesus on the front cover".

Why is it noteworthy that one of the journals had a picture of Jesus on the cover? Is it the irony? Many people who say they follow Jesus have fallen into serious sin. Many people who say they follow Jesus really don't - they're just putting on a show. I just found the decision to write this sentence to be....curious.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    June 23, 2014 4:29 p.m.

I generally have less than $20 in cash at my house between a loose change jar and a few bills in my pocket. Why would you hold $3,000 in cash at your house, let alone more than $10k? You just don't do that unless you want to keep it all off the record.

• SAS Sandy, UT
    June 23, 2014 3:34 p.m.

@Dixie Dan:

Is that a comment about Swallow, or about Reagan?

• Copacetic Logan, UT
    June 23, 2014 3:25 p.m.

@ Just Say No To Bo:

Good thing you didn't print your address in Mapleton. A lot of home break-ins take place with the expectation for a lot less than $3k. It's doubtful that many people keep that much cash sitting around. My sincere complements to you if you live in an economic category where that's considered petty cash.

That aside, but with home burglaries still in mind, I don't know of anyone who keeps over $10,000 cash in their home nowadays... unless it's a fusty old-timer left over from the Great Depression days who still doesn't trust banks... or unless it's questionable source money. But in and of itself, that's not illegal, as you stated.

We'll all have to wait and see how and if all these items taken together create a more telling story of evidence. They may or may not. But combined with previous evidence and happenings reported in previous articles, some of these items definitely do add to the mounting suspicions regarding these people... especially Swallow who was forced under heavy suspicion to resign.

The story and suspicions keep getting deeper. Intrigue worthy of a novel.

• Dixie Dan Saint George, UT
    June 23, 2014 3:04 p.m.

As Swallow sinks further I find myself amused thinking back when he ran for office and said he was a Reagan Republican.

• #1 Champ Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2014 2:22 p.m.

I've gone from 'This is an unfortunate situation for all' to 'Could this get any uglier?'. Two things I've learned here:

1. The mixture of being enemies with the District Attorney and the press is a BAD combo.
    2. Having any sort of public profile come with some major inherited risk.

Conclusion: Maintain a modest life and out of the way of the DA

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2014 1:31 p.m.

Sounds like they are following the money.That is always a good technique when investigating public servants accused of serving themselves.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    June 23, 2014 1:27 p.m.

The deseret news isn't reporting the entire story.

Go to the trib to see the rest.

I would send you the link if I could. Just look up the trib's main page. Here's what it says:

"Former Utah Attorney General John Swallow tooled around the streets of St. George in Jeremy Johnson’s Ferrari, and his predecessor, Mark Shurtleff, used the embattled businessman’s plane to jet to New York to shuttle a TV actor to a charity event, according to search warrants on their Sandy homes unsealed Monday.

The new court documents show that officers seized a long list of computers, digital storage devices, camcorders, digital cameras, iPods and CDs, along with boxes of documents, from the homes of Shurtleff, Swallow and Renae Cowley, who worked as a staffer for both men. They also took more than $10,000 in cash from Swallow’s home.

The warrants also point to a growing list of potential crimes that law enforcement is investigating, including bribery, evidence tampering, falsifying government records, gift violations and obstruction of justice."

• SharpHooks Sandy, UT
    June 23, 2014 1:17 p.m.

Did it have an invoice for 400% interest with it?

• San Diego Orem, UT
    June 23, 2014 1:14 p.m.

The cash and plane ticket were found in the homes of two different individuals. It is hard to draw conclusions and rush to judgement as to wrong doing from this evidence. Let them have their time in court and do not create purely subjective conclusions.

• GiuseppeG Murray, Utah
    June 23, 2014 1:13 p.m.

No big Swallow fan here either. I wonder if they were this diligent in trying to track down the missing IRS email?

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    June 23, 2014 12:59 p.m.

I'm no Swallow fan, but my reaction is, So what?
    I've probably got $3,000 in cash in my home. Is that some sort of crime?

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    June 23, 2014 12:46 p.m.

$10,000 in cash. A plane ticket. What's suspicious about that?