Moneywise

Utah unemployment rate — 3.6 percent — is lowest since 2008

Comments

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    June 25, 2014 10:35 a.m.

You all want to know what has changed since 2008. Nothing. No change even after going on 6 years of Obama. Utah is hardly on the Presidents radar as a place he wants to grow. Clearly it is Utahans doing better by their own hard work. Not surprising for Utah.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    June 24, 2014 4:37 p.m.

@JoeCapitalist2
    "It is good to see Utah is bucking the trend of the rest of the country when it comes to unemployment."

Actually Utah has been basically the same trendwise as the nation for a decade (always around 2.5% lower than national average).

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2014 1:40 p.m.

The irony is that according to the right..gold would b at $3,000.00 an ounce and the economy in shambles unless the country when tea party on government spending. By the way, when is the much hyped train wreck cause by ACA?

• Interloper Portland, OR
    June 23, 2014 12:59 a.m.

The main reasons Utah has a high employment rate and larger workforce are:

•A younger population, meaning fewer part-timers and retirees.

•A small population, meaning there is less competition for jobs.

•Jobs that were significantly recession proof, often in the service sector.

These positives are offset by Utah being a low-wage state.

Like all Americans, Utahans benefitted from the Recovery Act, the ACA, extended unemployment, increased food aid and other federal programs that helped us through the Great Recession of 2007. (Before President Obama took office, by the way.)

• Uofuby5 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 22, 2014 9:51 p.m.

One VOTE..of the 50 states and D.C. Democratic controlled states have 7 out of 10 states with the highest unemployment rate. Democrats can't run even run their own states and shouldn't run the country either.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 22, 2014 3:17 p.m.

"I teach economics. I did an informal poll of my class the other day. 85% rated Utah's economy "mediocre." So things aren't as rosy as portrayed. We are doing well compared to may other states however."

Or perhaps polls on how people "feel" are lousy indicators of actual economic activity. Good grief, we have people doing better than 98% of the rest of the world, and they feel like things are rough. Perhaps what is really happening is we are in the middle of yet another pride cycle where what people think they deserve is out of what with reality.

As to quoting a single data point like a U-6 number..... completely pointless and out of context unless you site other data points. How in the world is anyone supposed to know if that is a bad or good number. Just as "full employment" is never full employment, under employed is a relative state.

The 3.6 number is a relative number to the other samplings done using the same methodology. Like wise the oft misused u-6 number. It is only a sampling used to measure changes in activity. It is not an actual number.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    June 22, 2014 6:57 a.m.

It is good to see Utah is bucking the trend of the rest of the country when it comes to unemployment. I don't know just how good things are here without numbers about the quality of those jobs. Wages have been stagnant and lots of jobs are just part time. It is still good to see improvement.

I really can't point to anything Obama has done to help the economy here or in any other state. Even though I think he is not a good president, I am willing to give him praise when he does something right. I am struggling to find anything related to the economy he is doing that actually helps it.

The economy in North Dakota is booming right now. Given his policies regarding energy production, it would be really tough to say, "wow, the state is booming...Obama must be doing something right". It is doing well in spite of his interference, not because his policies are helping. I think the same goes for Utah.

• Michael Hunt Murray, UT
    June 21, 2014 6:30 p.m.

@I Love Lamp

"Hmm. I wonder what changed in 2008."

A financial crash related to securitized, overvalued sub-prime mortgages that caused a liquidity trap for consumers and businesses which had up to that point relied primarily on highly leveraged, debt-fueled consumption rather than sustainable and marginal growth... oh, this is DN... sorry, it's Obama's fault our economy went stagnant and millions are out of a job. His inability to implement socialist policies are causing the very problems his lousy socialist policies would cause were they to be implemented. Woohoo for baseless insinuations that stroke our fragile and uninformed psyches!

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2014 12:32 p.m.

Re: RichardB "Our U-6 numbers, those out of work, or working part time, looking for full time work, is still 9.2%."

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2014 8:36 a.m.

Looks like a robust federal economy has helped Utah's out. I wonder what has changed sine 2008?

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    June 21, 2014 6:58 a.m.

It isn't addressed in the article, but I would like to know what the average wage being earned is today as compared to 2008 or 2007. It isn't just about having a job, but about the quality of the job and the quality of the benefits.

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    June 21, 2014 5:46 a.m.

@ one vote...
    lol I was thinking the same thing.
    But then again the sarcasm implies that it makes sense to say it's Obama's praise for the economy changing. That may or may not be true, but if it is, then he's got to own the whole country, not just Utah. The whole country looks shaky. Even his home base Illinois's is in terrible shape.

Underwhelming is what he's been in my book. I wish I could say otherwise, but I can't. He just hasn't lived up to my expectations. The economy as a whole seems stuck in a permanent rut and millions have dropped out of the work force permanently. Time will tell though... Time will tell. I hope we can all pull out of it like Utah appears to be doing. 8-10% unemployment is just a huge drain on our whole society.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    June 20, 2014 9:03 p.m.

• I Love Lamp Layton, UT
    June 20, 2014 8:57 p.m.

Hmm. I wonder what changed in 2008.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 20, 2014 8:48 p.m.

@one vote

It's ironic hearing from an Obama supporter considering that Utah is where it is by doing pretty much exactly the opposite of what Obama wants.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT