Sports

Utes basketball: Utah releases 2014-15 non-conference schedule

Comments

• MurrayMike Murray, UT
    June 28, 2014 1:46 a.m.

wow....well first off grats to utes for actually scheduling an away game in the pre-season this year, (guess they learned their lesson at lil ole St. Mary's last year). Secondly, ROFL, ok same oh same oh cookie schedule, (for the most part) here we go again. Let's see North Dakota St., Carroll, (women's school?) Alabama St., Texas Pan-American, (not sure about this game, might be tough for them ;) and U.C. Riverside. What I am glad to see is some decent home and away games. Think the staff has learned, 24-10 won't get you in the dance if you have the WORST schedule in Div I Basketball. Better to be 20-14 or 19-15 and have proven yourself.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 25, 2014 4:23 p.m.

Sporting News ranked Utah 21 in it's 2014/2015 preseason rankings. Coach K is doing it right!

Go Utes! Utah Man Sir!

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    June 23, 2014 5:21 p.m.

In comparing Utah's 2 programs, I like the direction of the basketball team much more than that of the football team. I see a possible coaching change coming soon. Coach K is more than safe and is reviving a once great program that's been down as of late. On the other hand, KWhitt . . .

Good luck, Utes.

• George McFly Hilldale, CA
    June 23, 2014 1:30 p.m.

@Go Big Blue!!!

I'd be trying to forget about that 17 point embarrassment last year too.

Go Utes.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    June 21, 2014 5:41 p.m.

Definitely a big non conference schedule upgrade from last year for the Utes! Hope they do well in all their games except when they go to Provo!

Here's wishing them luck this year!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 21, 2014 3:21 p.m.

Upgrade in non-conference schedule matches the upgrade in talent. Just as planned three years ago.

Go UTES!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    June 21, 2014 2:33 p.m.

The Tribune is reporting that the game scheduled for November 18th is vs San Diego State on the road with a return date next year at the Huntsman. Coach K has this program going places.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2014 1:32 p.m.

Coach K and the Runnin' Utes will contend for PAC 12 glory. BANZAI!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 21, 2014 11:28 a.m.

Should I be like the utah "fans" when BYU released their schedule a couple of weeks ago and try to claim it is "weak" and "set up for wins"?

Let's see utah plays exactly 2 OOC road games, two neutral site games and the rest are all at home. Most of the OOC are against terrible and weak competition as well. Those are facts and those are the things utah "fans" tried to say about BYU's schedule.

Now I'll be honest, unlike the majority of utah "fans".

I think this is a good balanced schedule for utah. They play several good OOC games including a couple on the road. They play enough low level teams to help pad the wins which is important for not just a winning season but also to help build confidence. The OOC should help their resume when it comes to NCAA selection time provided they play well in the games against good team. Frankly it is light years ahead of last years joke of a schedule so I commend them for it.

Now let's see if they are up to it. I have my doubts but we'll see.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 21, 2014 6:59 a.m.

Rumors of the additional games against either or both SDSU and Wisconsin.
    If true it will likely make Utah's strength of schedule one of the very toughest in the country.

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    June 20, 2014 11:35 p.m.

fantastic job. looks like they are serious about making the big dance this year.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    June 20, 2014 10:51 p.m.

Can't complain.

Much better than last season.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 20, 2014 10:45 p.m.

@Hey Baby

"I hope playing those two WCC games doesn't hurt us much" They won't! One is an "exhibition game" and will not count and both are "gimmies" (as golfers say).

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    June 20, 2014 9:33 p.m.

I hope playing those two WCC games doesn't hurt us much

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2014 9:17 p.m.

Sweet! I'm excited for basketball already

Go Utes!

• Tenn12 Orem, UT
    June 20, 2014 9:11 p.m.

Wow I am liking this balanced non conference schedule. I look forward to Wichita St and Kansas. This schedule will help them come selection time if they win as many pac-12 games as last season.

• Vegasbob North Las Vegas, NV
    June 20, 2014 8:14 p.m.

Glad to see the upgraded schedule. It will provide the answer as to whether or not Utah is truly back. Hope for a good season. Except against BYU.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2014 7:36 p.m.

I am excited for our Utes. Great schedule!

Go Utes!
    Go Pac-12!

• East Coast Ute Storrs, CT
    June 20, 2014 6:58 p.m.

Andy Katz reported last week that the "additional game...likely [to] be added soon" is Wisconsin in the Kohl Center. If that's true, definitely bummed that I'm not still in the midwest to go see them there, but it'd be an incredible experience and a great environment for this team to perform in against a very good Badgers team. Looking forward to another good season with a tough nonconference schedule!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 20, 2014 5:48 p.m.

National exposure is great!

Utah's schedule includes away games: Kansas; UNLV; San Diego State; and the Y. (And yes I put Kansas and UNLV as away games - Sprint Center in KC and MGM in Las Vegas really does not seem like a "neutral site" - Just as Phoenix does not seem like much of a neutral site for a football game against Arizona)

Y's away schedule - Logan, Ogden, and SLC (Hawaii at ESA)

Maybe Bronco was right when he said "his coaches" when referring to the basketball staff.

• Flyer St. George, UT
    June 20, 2014 4:52 p.m.

Great News for all the Ute faithful. Maybe this schedule toughens them up for the NIT when they have to play such powerhouse teams as St. Mary's. Apparently the PAC 12 wasn't tough enough this past year.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    June 20, 2014 4:50 p.m.

Interesting. I'd forgotten that the u fielded a basketball team.

• Utah rules Salt Lake City, UT
    June 20, 2014 4:31 p.m.

Love the horns on coach K.

• Lehi'i Lehi, UT
    June 20, 2014 4:15 p.m.

BIG upgrade from last year. Wichita State was a #1 seed, Kansas is obviously a traditional powerhouse, BYU is always good and UNLV is usually good.

Nice work Coach Krystkowiak!

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    June 20, 2014 4:04 p.m.

Can't help but be an upgrade from last year. I would certainly rather see them play all the in-state schools rather than schedule Carroll (is that really a school), Alabama St. et al. I know the idea is to build some momentum and rack up some wins and I'm on board with that, but would it be that hard to substitute UVU and SUU for two of the cupcakes on the schedule.

The same goes for BYU. Play them all, every year.

• steve84088 Orem, UT
    June 20, 2014 3:57 p.m.

So they play an exhibition game against a WCC team?

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 20, 2014 3:54 p.m.

This is the most excited I've been for basketball since Majerus left.

Carry on Coach K!