Sports

Former BYU QB Jake Heaps headed to Miami

Comments

• Aggie5 Kuna, ID
    Oct. 31, 2014 11:34 a.m.

as the world turns.

• Keith Of Utah Roy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2014 11:28 a.m.

He will be sitting the bench or wearing a head set all year and a baseball cap, are you kidding me? His 3rd college team, this ain't the NFL kid, it's college football, and the worst thing you could have done was to leave BYU. He had his chance and blew it, coming in here like Mr. Movie Star and Super Celebrity, like his name was already being engraved on the Heisman Trophy. What a joke, the poor kid lost it before he even took the field. It's called humility that brings greatness, not greatness that brings greatness. I feel bad for him, but good luck anyway I guess, I'll hope to hear his name on college football final every week when Miami highlights come on.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 25, 2014 12:03 p.m.

Jake is a good kid. I know his mom too and she is Jake's biggest fan. Hope he can finish at Miami on a positive note.

• RGinSG Saint George, UT
    June 19, 2014 3:50 p.m.

Congrats on getting the degree and hanging in there. If he gets a better supporting cast (line, receivers) in Miami, he may actually get a chance to show his potential. Best of luck.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    June 17, 2014 8:49 a.m.

Great article, but I can't help it. When I think of Jake Heaps--I think of gushy Iggy's press conferences and a certain game. A game which saw BYU fans literally running from LES with their hands over their ears and agonized looks on their faces. They fell over each other to get in their mini vans as if getting as far away from the stadium would somehow help. But it didn't help. No, it didn't help at all.
    Good luck, Jake! Tear it up with the Canes! Nice article too!

• 32843 PROVO, UT
    June 16, 2014 8:59 p.m.

Wouldn't it be the height of irony if Miami ends winning the NC this season? Heaps would be the only former BYU/Kansas player in the last 30 years to be able to wear a NC ring.

I'd root for Heaps if he went to the University of Idaho. But now I'm rooting for him even more to lead the Hurricanes to an undefeated season. That would be so funny.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    June 16, 2014 8:27 p.m.

E Fudd, Heaps did not lose to the U. Heaps gave away the game to the U. His game started rough when he missed the first snap and Utah got a cheap touchdown out of it. But Mr. Competitor (Heaps) continued to just give it away. I'm glad you enjoyed the outcome but it was more of Bad Heaps than Great U.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    June 16, 2014 6:57 p.m.

@ alphablue

"How about that...Heaps is playing for the real U"

There is no "U" in Miami. But there is a "U" in Utah.

Jake Hypes lost to the real "U" 54-10 in epic fashion!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    June 16, 2014 6:20 p.m.

Sinew South "when you call your own press conference and start your career touting the national championship you will bring to the school, you kind of set yourself up."
    Its pretty easy to beat a kid up over that in hindsight, but what was the reaction at the time? 5 star recruit coming to an independent BYU with talk of contending for a national championship. Be honest. Fans ate that up. They liked the swagger.

Don't put it all on the kid. DNews 2011 "Mendenhall and his players have stated repeatedly that their goal is to win a national championship." It wasn't just Jake's crazy idea. It came from someone named Bronco.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 16, 2014 4:09 p.m.

How funny would it be to see Heaps end his collegiate career with a killer year for Miami. I can't help but hope he crushes it this year. Good luck Jake.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    June 16, 2014 4:05 p.m.

There are too many still looking at this through their red or blue glasses. He did not get a rough deal at BYU or Kansas. The kid has a great arm in practice, and he can learn a playbook, but he can't handle getting hit. It was obvious in many games he played when at the Y (most notably the 54-10 debacle). I saw it first in the opening game of the 2011 season at Ol' Miss. On something like the second play from scrimmage, a pass-rusher got through and pasted him, and he was awful for the rest of the half: Throwing too soon, overthrowing, not seeing wide open 2nd and 3rd reads. A D-lineman breaks through the block, and Jake panics. No one likes to get hit, but if that's what is first on a QB's mind in the pocket, it doesn't matter how good he is with the green jersey on.

If he can't handle the speed and strength of D1 college defensive players, I can't see how he'll ever sniff the next level. Not a hater. Just calling it like I see it.

• softbear Olympia, WA
    June 16, 2014 3:20 p.m.

I like Jake and think he got a rough deal at the Y. Kansas never had what he needed to be successful. His arm is great and he can read a defense. But unless he has learned to take a hit and not have quick feet, it could be a long year at Miami. Still good luck and show'em what your made of.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 16, 2014 3:05 p.m.

I think most of the sentiments are right on here.

He talked a big fight, but his freshman year, he showed signs of bringing it. His sophomore year, the wheels fell off the bus. Was it because Anae moved on, because he didn't earn the confidence of his team-mates, or some sinister subterfuge, we may (hopefully) never know.

Didn't work out at the next stop either.

I truly hope it all comes together for him, that he plays well enough to get a shot at the next level.

Passing interest in Jake, more interested in the current and future quarterback arrangements at BYU.

Rise and SHOUT!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    June 16, 2014 12:43 p.m.

I think he had a fair shot at BYU. He had pretty good success, but somehow just couldn't quite get the long ball to the receiver....always over-throwing him. Had that worked in Austin, BYU would have defeated Texas. I am not sure what happened at Kansas, but apparently not much. I'm not against him doing what he thinks he needs to do, but I don't think his ability is anywhere near his own opinion of his talents.

• SkookumDon Tacoma, WA
    June 16, 2014 12:08 p.m.

I hope it works out better for Jake and Brooke this time around. Its good that he received his degree. Looks like he will have a legitimate chance to be the starter.

• IDC Boise, ID
    June 16, 2014 11:39 a.m.

Wish things would have worked out at the Y but I hope he gets a shot at playing. His arm is really incredible - throws a great ball. Go Cougars!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    June 16, 2014 11:16 a.m.

Hope he can make this one work!

• ImagineUte Albany, 00
    June 16, 2014 10:31 a.m.

Alphablue:
    Are you saying Imagine U is not the real U?

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 16, 2014 10:22 a.m.

I will never cheer for Miami but I wish the best for Jake. This is his last chance and with Miami he may get the exposure, experience, and most importantly the field education he needs to possibly go to the NFL. He's had quite a wild ride going through the teams without meeting the expectations he always brings to the table.

Good Luck Jake!

• ed in atl Duluth, GA
    June 16, 2014 9:52 a.m.

Good luck Jake!

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    June 16, 2014 9:43 a.m.

AlphaBlue, please do your homework and research which University was established/founded first.

I hope Jake has a good year with Miami. I wonder if he ever regrets not serving a mission?

Go UTES!!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    June 16, 2014 9:21 a.m.

Best of luck Jake! At least he picked a decent location.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    June 16, 2014 8:50 a.m.

Good luck at the authentic 'U'.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    June 16, 2014 8:15 a.m.

Good luck Jake. I'll be interested to looking at Miami stats each week to learn if Jake is able to find his targets, assuming he gets playing time. A good offensive line can make a difference.

• Sinew South Centennial, CO
    June 16, 2014 8:01 a.m.

JoCo Ute, you might be right about unreasonable expectations, but when you call your own press conference and start your career touting the national championship you will bring to the school, you kind of set yourself up. I wish him no ill, but he sure came across as arrogant and unable to read defenses.

Best of luck at the other quarterback U.

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    June 16, 2014 7:25 a.m.

Good luck to Jake Heaps! Most players do not get this many chances. I hope this last one is a great one. Heaps of luck to Jake! We'll be watching.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    June 16, 2014 6:56 a.m.

When is the press conference?

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    June 16, 2014 6:32 a.m.

Very strange chain-of-events. He is not good enough for "red dancing shoes" U but is good enough for a perennial national champion. It looks like Miami still passes the ball. Charlie Weis from the Patriots realizes the "handwriting is on the wall" for the new type of running quarterback even though he coached Tom Brady. Charlie has to win quickly or a new coach will bring in a runner for him.

• BYU DUDE Provo, UT
    June 15, 2014 11:16 p.m.

Go get'em Jake you are a class act.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    June 15, 2014 11:15 p.m.

Jake did great under Robert Anae. He set all kinds of records as a freshman at BYU. One can only wonder what would have happened if Anae had not headed to Arizona, but that is sand under the bridge (sand, in Arizona at least).

I am not surprised he did not do well on a team with little or no talent surrounding him.

Best of luck Mr. Heaps. I hope you have a fantastic year in Miami and fulfill your dream of becoming an NFL QB.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    June 15, 2014 10:57 p.m.

Jake will be competing with four other quarterbacks, but none of them have ever taken a snap in an actual game. He should have a good supporting cast around him. This could be a good opportunity for him.

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    June 15, 2014 10:25 p.m.

Re: alphablue

Didn't he lose to the real U 54-10?

• alphablue Provo, UT
    June 15, 2014 10:10 p.m.

How about that...Heaps is playing for the real U....

Go Jake.....most of us in Utah are still pulling for U(:))

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2014 10:03 p.m.

I honestly hope the Jake Heaps has a fantastic year at Miami.

• Cswilliam Monument, CO
    June 15, 2014 9:59 p.m.

All the best to Heaps. Here's hoping he gets one great year at Miami. He deserves it.

And Jake - thanks for giving the Y a great effort. I wish we would have done better by you - and all Y fans are cheering for you.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2014 9:57 p.m.

One last chance. Good luck!

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2014 9:17 p.m.

Wow! From Sammamish, Washington to Miami, Florida. Talk about working your way across the country!

I wish him well.

• UncleArtie Brigham City, UT
    June 15, 2014 9:14 p.m.

Good luck Jake. When I was a kid I remember watching George Mira play QB for the Canes on TV. Mira threw bullets, Jake is the same way. I hope he finds success.

• islandboy Honolulu, HI
    June 15, 2014 9:01 p.m.

Hoping for the best. Go get 'em Jake!

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    June 15, 2014 7:59 p.m.

Enough of the comments about this kid's premature celebration out of high school, his lack of work ethic, lack of good coaching and (my favorite) poor parenting as a kid growing up....you posters have NO IDEA what is going on with Jake OR the program. There seem to be so many judgmental BYU and Utah fans (why the Utes even care is beyond me).

So things didn't play out for this kid the way he had dreamed. Big deal. Have any of you ever banked on some dream going big only to see it fall flat? Anyone ever celebrate prematurely?? I say let the kid go do what he wants. His life has no bearing on yours or mine. I wish him well and am happy for him that he got his degree.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    June 15, 2014 7:42 p.m.

Good luck Heaps. Will be watching with interest.

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    June 15, 2014 7:38 p.m.

I will cheer for him and Miami. congrats on getting the college degree. College won't be a waste now.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    June 15, 2014 6:51 p.m.

I think I can survive one more year of this if he can. Good luck.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    June 15, 2014 6:24 p.m.

Good Luck Jake

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    June 15, 2014 5:50 p.m.

Too bad. Unreasonable expectations out of high school and by college fans. Hope this one works out better than the last 2 stops. he did get his degree. . . congrats, a college degree will take him further than football.

• worf Mcallen, TX