Student charged in Duchesne High stabbing was 'tortured' by classmates, mother says

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    June 16, 2014 7:43 p.m.

Rural sport fan
    You are now part of the problem. If KSL and the DNews had misreported they would have retracted the story. I cannot believe your words. You cite no sources. Not even your name. This child has disabilities. You pile on. I have experience in your schools when I was a college recruiter. I found several administrators to be wonderful. And others not so wonderful. I met hundreds of students. Most were wonderful and others were terrible. You know my name and address. Please look me up so you and your children can come over to bully me. Rediculous.

Fix the problem by starting with the man in the mirror. To me bullying is the same as racism. Fill in the blanks.

June 16, 2014 11:58 a.m.

Rural sport fan -

How is it not about the teachers because a substitute was there on that day? Are we to accept that our kids are less safe when their teacher stays home sick?

I have seen too many similar reports. The bullied kid gets no help from school adminstration, so he has to defend himself. Then the bullied kid gets in trouble! Seems schools do have a zero tolerance policy on bullying - zero tolerance for reporting it!!

• Bwiggins15 Fruitland, UT
    June 16, 2014 12:31 a.m.

Rural sports fan i know the family well . I have heard leland break down over issues at school . I have gone with mother to school to address Leland's concerns in February March and April she actually has cried over the fact that she told Leland it can't be that bad . The school says you have friends . I also know the other boys girls say he is a bully and Leland tried to be his friend but it did not work out does your friend call you a little B and hit you in the head till you bleed from your ear and have a serious concussion please know your facts before calling the mother a control freak and saying leland was liked because that is not how he feels at all he told my daughter just the other day maybe it would have been easier if I just let him punch me to death

• Bwiggins15 Fruitland, UT
    June 15, 2014 11:57 p.m.

Rural sports fans you clearly do not know Leland,s family as well you think . Leland has tried to be friends with the other student at no avail. He has talked to many people at church and the library about his struggles with bullies and how he wanted his parents to do more but his mother was trying to let him handle it and not embarrass him which does not sound like the actions of a control freak I went with mothers twice to talk to school after Leland ran away in snow storm saying everyone hates me I would rather die than go to school. The sheriff dept. even spoke to the school about bulling in March and parents asked he be home bound because of bruises yes a lot of kids like Leland he is a good kid but it does not change the fact that he was beat into a concussion and bleeding from his ears before he ever picked up a knife

• Jan Jones West Valley City, UT
    June 15, 2014 11:51 a.m.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but when I read this story my first thought was "Good for him!!" If true, maybe one of the bully boys has learned a valuable lesson. Nothing more disgusting than someone who would pick on a person who is disabled or weaker than them. (Unless it's someone who would be happy that one person has stabbed another person.)

• Rural sport fan DUCHESNE, UT
    June 15, 2014 11:14 a.m.

Tried in the court of public opinion. Welcome to America in the 21st century.
    This isn't a news story, this is posturing for the media, spin using the right buzzwords to get the public opinion on their side.

This isn't about bullying. The two kids were actually friends.

This isn't about the teachers at Duchesne, it was a substitute on that day. This isn't about the students, most everyone likes Leland.

This is about an autistic kid that lost control in a bad situation he should not have been in, and a mom with control issues.

• Mormonmama0106 Phoenix, AZ
    June 15, 2014 7:55 a.m.

"This is not a case of self-defense. The law permits self-defense but it cannot escalate the nature of the attack. The boy had the right to fight back and punch the other boy. He did not have the right to escalate with the use of a deadly weapon. Because he did, self-defense will be inapplicable."

Zona Zone, the mother states in the article that her son has a condition which makes him physically weaker than other people his age and size. How much so is unknown to us from the article, but if that is the case and he had no hope of defending himself in the same manner in which he was being bullied, then is it any wonder he used a weapon?

If someone attacks me, I'm not going to defend myself by whatever means necessary. Defending yourself, by its very nature, often means escalating the attack because that is what it takes to stop the aggressor. Your attack has to be greater than theirs in order to stop them.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    June 14, 2014 2:22 p.m.

A person has a right to self defense. The people bullying him had a right to be taught a lesson, that what they were doing wasn't right. His lashing out has 'killed two birds with one stone'. No harm no foul here it seems.

• Zona Zone Mesa, AZ
    June 14, 2014 2:08 p.m.

That said, I do not understand the thinking of the teacher who sees a fight occur on the field and sends the two boys together, and without supervision, to check into the office. How could continued bullying and another fight not be foreseen? I think the teacher bears responsibility here as well.

• truth in all its forms henderson, NV
    June 14, 2014 1:36 p.m.

Its time in this country that we stop trying to ban weapons, and instead focus on mental illness. What is the common denominator in so many of the violent acts lately. Mental illness if we want to protect our children than we need to do something about mental illness before another tragic event happens.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    June 14, 2014 1:10 p.m.

I've worked with autistic kids like this before. This can turn out well for everyone, but its going to take some soul searching by all parties involved and a wise judge. There is a lot on the line here.

• Checkit USA, UT
    June 14, 2014 11:27 a.m.

I attended Duchesne High School around 5-6 years ago. I would hope the football players and other athletes are not a part of this bullying. I know that the football players shouldn't be or Coach Cowan would be having a few words with them. I do know though that the bullying has happened a lot in Duchesne. Time for the teachers and examples in the school (football players, drill team) to step up and protect those students who get bullied.

• benjjamin Beaverton, OR
    June 14, 2014 10:36 a.m.

I don't understand our justice system anymore. How does one get charged with aggravated assault for defending themselves? In my view, the only legitimate charge here is the possession of dangerous weapon on school premises.

Had I been bullied at school and all attempts to solve the situation had produced zero results, I would probably have also been carrying a weapon to protect myself.

I give this young man all my support and love. If he truly was the subject of bullying, we are prosecuting the wrong individual. The kid in the hospital is the one that should be charged with assault.

That is a big "if" because the only thing I have is a news article to go off of.

• waikiki_dave Honolulu, HI
    June 14, 2014 10:00 a.m.

It appears this is only a misdemeanor and the minor should not have been charged with a felony.

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    June 14, 2014 8:35 a.m.

Possibly five years in prison for defending him self? We are in big trouble if we are punished for self defense. I say we take Lelands knife away and say we are even.
    And why wasn't the other boys name plastered all over the paper, along with the other bully aggressors? Had the school administration done their job then this wouldn't have happened. I think a little discipline all around is in order.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    June 14, 2014 8:13 a.m.

Sounds like a simple case of self defense. This should be cause for greater scrutiny of the school system rather than prosecution of this kid.

• Mormonmama0106 Phoenix, AZ
    June 14, 2014 7:47 a.m.

I agree. If what the mother says is true, it sounds like self-defense to me. I was bullied horribly in school and a friend's son was repeatedly beaten up at school, and not once would school administrators help either of us. While we don't want to encourage fighting violence with violence, when repeated acts of physical, mental and emotional violence occur against someone, is it any wonder they might feel the need to defend themselves with violence?

I just hope the authorities do a thorough investigation into the allegations of bullying.

June 14, 2014 7:29 a.m.

Something has to change. Bullied children are not being protected in schools across the nation. It is never taken seriously until the victim lashes out.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    June 14, 2014 7:09 a.m.

This boy should not have to attend school to be bullied. The school administrators should have helped the parents determine an alternative education arrangement. Bullying is even more common than the media reports. It is no wonder so many parents are home schooling, and so many students have serious problems due to the mistreatment of their classmates. It is sad beyond expressing.

• MrsB1971 Davenport, FL
    June 14, 2014 6:18 a.m.

It's time for parents of bullied children stop trusting the schools to do the right thing. Go to the police and make a report and let them handle it. Maybe the threat of jail time would stop some of the bullying. This is wrong on so many levels. Leland King never should have been dragged into court for standing up for himself. It's the bullies who should have been facing criminal charges.
    Now a question for the Deseret News, is there any way to find out if Bullying of a person with disabilities would be considered a civil rights violation in the state of Utah? Perhaps someone could talk to some legal experts to find out and report on that aspect of the situation.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    June 14, 2014 5:45 a.m.

Shame on every one at that school, every one seems slimy. no one is standing up for what is right. The future is uncertain, the present is all we have, because the past is determined, determined to repeat itself.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    June 14, 2014 12:02 a.m.

I'm glad he stood up to the bully. I'm not saying it is okay to stab bully's with a knife. But I'm betting that bully and group of friends will change their behavior. Sounds like self defence to me. It blows my the number of bullies in our schools. Why can't or why don't administrators send the bully's home? Why don't the parents of bully's step up to end their child's disgusting behavior? I truly dislike bully's. If I had my way the bully's would be subjected to severe punishment and attend rehabilitation programs.

We are not doing enough to stop this horrific behavior!

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    June 14, 2014 12:00 a.m.

Would be nice, if this was happening (the bullying), to see some of the popular athletes step up and befriend kids like this that certainly need friends. Hopefully, others would follow their example and be less likely to engage in the bullying. What do others think?

• DrGroovey Salt Lake City, UT
    June 13, 2014 10:24 p.m.

IF this is true I hope they drop all charges against this boy. When the school refuses to protect our children then our children have the right to stand up and defend themselves. I wonder if the boys who have been bullying him (and their parents) are happy with how things have turned out?