Sports

Brad Rock: New Jazz coach Quin Snyder will need All-Stars to avoid Tyrone Corbin's fate

Comments

• 3-pointer monroe, ut
    June 17, 2014 8:23 a.m.

Brad Rock is right...the jazz don't have the horses to pull the cart! Jazz brass should make any of its players available to be traded and look to find a good young all-star caliber player to build around. They should especially look to build a diminishing fan base by bringing in players that could be pieces to the puzzle and a draw to Utah fans--Jabari Parker and Jimmer are two such examples. If the Jazz brass is really smart, they would do whatever it takes to move up in the draft to get Parker! Give Jazz fans some hope by bringing in some potential all-stars...right now, I don't see any all-stars or potential all-stars on the Jazz roster!

• justsevenup CHEHALIS, WA
    June 16, 2014 6:32 p.m.

Creditability.....end of story....You have to be credible and if your a fly by night sensation as a player and or a coach it will not take the players long to figure that out. What is Snyder like "Away" from the game...what does he do in his spare / private time...How solid is his marriage relationship or should I say his "past" relationships...What really matters to him the most.?. Sincere, dedicated, honest, men with integrity will win every time over anyone that is not, and that is why there are very few leaders, coaches, politicians, etc. that truly rise to the occasion beyond what is deemed average because those that are around these great coaches, leaders, and politicians ...Like coach K of Duke ....are devoted because of who they are and what they represent...

• TerryHaimes Sturgis, MS
    June 16, 2014 2:21 p.m.

Life is good. The world is right. I don't agree with anything the Rock says. If Hayward comes back the Jazz will make the playoffs in 2015. Remember what the Rock said about the rookie Suns coach.

• ECR Burke, VA
    June 16, 2014 10:34 a.m.

Kakashi - perhaps I overstated when I suggested Duncan would be an average player in another system. But think how many number one picks have gone bust and consider that it might be because they were in the wrong system. And what you later stated about Duncan, he's "unselfish...he never mentions that its all about him...its always the team" is exactly what I was trying to say about the whole team.

I don't like Greg Popovich personally. He's ornery, rude and usually acts like a jerk, especially to the press. But who has EVER done more with less. He has had players that have played great because they have played for him. It's been the exact opposite for Phil Jackson. He has come into situations where great players already existed. But Pop has built great players by the system he runs and the way he treats his players. Yes, I'm saying he's a better coach than Jackson.

So I'm hoping Quinn Snyder is that same type of coach as Popovich

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 15, 2014 11:00 p.m.

@ECR

Duncan was never an average player...he was really a franchise player...he isnt going to be the first overall pick...if he was an average player....Duncan is unselfish...he never mentions that its all about him...its always the team...also you need a coach that has a good system that would work well...and build around it...

• ECR Burke, VA
    June 15, 2014 6:18 p.m.

Henry Drummond - I totally agree with your comments. San Antonio has great players but more than that they have a great attitude, great team work, unselfish play. That comes from their coach. Individually those guys (Parker, Duncan, etc) would be average players. But together they are outstanding. It's the coach that makes them that way. Let's hope (pray) that Snyder can do something similar.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 15, 2014 5:26 p.m.

i hope they start burks at 2 next year...and make him the focal point of the offense...Hayward if the money is right should be resigned...he'd be the glue guy that does everything...Trey Burke...meh...i really think he is just a back up PG...if you have Burke's size you need to be tough as nails to be able to finish in the rim...but last year...he gets bumped off...that's the difference between him and his idol Allen Iverson...if he wanted to be an all-star...he better make shots after contact...and would look to hit players more rather than shy away from them...Unless Kanter forgets everything Al Jefferson taught him about defense...he needs to be the 6th man....and this is my reason why i would want to see Vonleh drafted by the Jazz...He presents a mismatch by being a stretch 4...and with his length...could develop to be a good defender...if Snyder could teach demarre how to shoot...he could teach jeremy evans...so he could move to the 3...and getting gobert kanter off the bench...one for offense one for defense..

• doc33 Las Vegas, NV
    June 15, 2014 11:51 a.m.

It is less about talent with the Jazz and more about development, mostly psychological. The Jazz would be much better if Hayward looked like he really believed he belonged in the NBA and if Favors wouldn't mope around so much if things don't go well on the court. And, another thing, stop making Kanter a back-to-the-basket player; he's a pick and pop guy who can set tough screens and defensive rebound, kind of a poor man's Bill Laimbeer.

The best thing about their new coach is that he was very successful at the college level in an immediate and dramatic manner. He seems like the type that can get it together for the Jazz right away. Corbin, on the other hand, never earned the right to coach the Jazz after his disastrous stint as interim coach following Sloan's resignation.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2014 8:43 a.m.

In addition to having a very young team the Jazz had a lot of things going against them last year: they acquired about $20 million in dead weight contracts, they were playing the entire year with the notion that if they loose that's okay because we will get a high draft pick, and for the first 14 games or so we didn't have any NBA caliber point guard on our roster. You throw into the mix bad coaching and horrible defensive schemes and you end up with the worst record in the West.

The Jazz will not have that "it's okay to loose" mentality this year and that might be the most important factor. They also will have NBA quality point guards on the roster from the beginning, all the players will be one year older and theoretically improved and I can't imagine the coaching being any worse.

I don't think the Jazz will make the playoffs next year, but I do believe the Jazz will have at least one future all star on this year's roster.

• NumpDuck Madison, WI
    June 14, 2014 11:31 a.m.

Blasphemy! IF Corbin had just started the fab 5 they would have won 45 games. Now that Quinn for the Winn is In, we is playoff bound, becasue unlike Corbin he is going to teach them how to shoot and play defense. It was Corbin that was holding Kanter back. If he just would have let him shoot 3s then he would be energized to play D. And it was Corbins falut that Hayward messed the bed in his contract year. If Corbin had schemes that would let hayward get to the basket and shoot shots with his feet set, Hayward would have made the allstar game THIS YEar. And Rudy Gobert. If Corbin would have let him play more he would have learned how to catch the ball. That record was all on Corbin. The fab 5 are all multiple allstars. I just hope Corbin didn't permenently damage them with his poor coaching technique.

• justsevenup CHEHALIS, WA
    June 13, 2014 10:37 p.m.

Very interesting comments as a whole but someone did not do their homework on Snyder. He was a high school talent be sure and a average college talent without doubt but his experiences in his high school program taught him that integrity was not an important characteristic when it came to building good solid teams that had character as such. The program that he was in during his high school career was well known for recruiting players from outside the boundaries and or finding ways to arrange it to be legal ...hence ...a very effective program but key players were really not Mercer Island residents....Go ahead several years and you see at Mizzu similar type issues that were his downfall or contributed to it. Obviously in the pro ranks these issues are not as critical but in the mormon community integrity is everything. Additionally...Look at his hiring history...he never stays too long with anyone and that does not sit well with fans either... He seems to always be looking for the next hire even though he has just been hired...Not a credible and stable atmosphere to build a solid program around.

• meworkingman PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    June 13, 2014 9:37 p.m.

@AFCoug: I don't see how, after bagging on Corbin for misuse of his players and lack of development, you could then turn around and claim that picking Kanter was a mistake. All I can say is: don't give up on the guy yet.

He's shown that he can be an offensive force and, while his defense was more than a little suspect, he was learning defense from one of the worst coaching staffs in the league. Remember how everyone bagged on Big Al and said that he would never play defense? Well what happened when he played for a coach that actually could design an NBA-caliber defensive scheme? Surprise, he could actually play a little d.

Kanter is an almost guaranteed 20 and 10 guy and with the right coach I think his defense could improve greatly. Don't give up on a guy that could be very valuable to the franchise until he's had the chance to play for a real coach.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    June 13, 2014 11:54 a.m.

"How can any intelligent being even take a guess at what the Jazz will do next year." - joe5

It's not as hard as it might seem.

Take a look at the core of the team and you'll realize it's unlikely to change i.e., Favors, Kanter, Burks, Burke, Hayward, Evans and Gobert. The rest of team didn't play all that many minutes, except for Marvin Williams, Richard Jefferson and Diante Garrett.

With the core players back, it's almost a given that they will get back to 25 wins without too much trouble. In my opinion, last season there were 10 losses that were directly caused by Corbin. Add in a high draft pick, and a new coach who understands game management and player development, and it's easy to see the Jazz improving by at least 10 games. That's how I came up with 37 wins for the 2014-15 season.

If the Jazz don't get to at least 35 wins, I will gladly eat crow.

Am I psychic? Well ... a little bit. Last year, I correctly predicted the exact day my sister-in-law was going to have her first baby. Five months before he was born. (November 22nd)

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    June 13, 2014 11:11 a.m.

San Antonio has succeeded by developing talent rather than trying to buy it. Watching the last two games in particular gives me hope that with the right coach, Utah can do likewise.

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    June 13, 2014 11:06 a.m.

Not a Corbin fan. I supported him unti lthis year. I know the team had less talent but Jefferson and Milsap leave and become better players elsewhere and all stars to boot. That tells me he likley was not using them. Jefferson's D even increased on a horrible Hornets/Bobcats team. Milsap became a stretch 4! We all knew he could hit the 3 but never saw it here except on rare occassion.

A good coach plays to the strenght of his players and helps them improve those strenghts or develop new ones. Why doesn't Favor have a go to offensive move. Why are Burke and hayward shooting at or below 40%. Are they better than 40% shooters. I believe so.

Haywar has a good all round game and if he gets more efficient will be very good. Burke needs to improve shooting and D. Burks has all star potential and is explosive. evans showed an improved jumper last year that if he can take it out a bit further will make a great and athletic 3 instead of 4. Kanter, well what to say. Jazz messed up on that pick.

Bottom line Jazz should improve. By how much? Who knows.

• meworkingman PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    June 13, 2014 9:47 a.m.

I usually enjoy the Rockmonster's columns but this one sure appeared to be mailed in. It was filled with question-begging (Corbin improved the young players? I doubt many Jazz fans would agree) and a complete misunderstanding of why Jazz fans were upset with Corbin and why his contract wasn't renewed.

No one expected the Jazz to make the playoffs last year, not even the FO. Ty was told at the beginning of the season that he would not be judged on record but on improvement of the defense and development of the young guys. He failed in both of those areas so he was gone.

No one believes that the Jazz will make the playoffs this year, especially in the tough West. However, what we fans want to see is improvement on defense and more than 2 minutes of the core 5 playing together instead of giving huge minutes to mercenary vets like Richard freakin' Jefferson.

If Snyder gives us that, this year will be a success and we'll have a good foundation upon which to build so that we can get back to the playoffs some day. It's surprising that Brad Rock doesn't understand that.

• jazz4ever San Mateo, CA
    June 13, 2014 9:35 a.m.

I think the current roster is good enough to make the playoffs with the right coaching.
    For success beyond that, yes, they need 1 or 2 more all-star level players.
    Lets see what the new coach can do.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    June 13, 2014 8:59 a.m.

How can any intelligent being even take a guess at what the Jazz will do next year. They don't even have half of their roster yet. If they repeat what they did last summer, they could end up with players like Jefferson, Rush, and Biedrins. Then what happens to that 37-45 projection?

Before the season started last year, I predicted 26 wins. But at least I waited until they had a team compiled.

• logicalsportsanalyst West Jordan, UT
    June 13, 2014 8:12 a.m.

I disagree with Brad today. Hiring a more capable head coach (no offense to Corbin) can give you at least 5 games- closing out games with smart lineup decisions, game plan, improved defensive schemes, etc. Picking a solid player in the draft, not even an all star, can give you at least another 5 games because you can pose at least one more threat on the floor-offensively or defensively. Using money and/or assets to build a decent bench can give another 5 games-providing more stable game flow, not the large talent gap between starters and backups. Add another 5 games due to more experience for the young guys, and the Jazz are all of a sudden reaching for the bottom playoff spot 1 year after being a bottom feeder.

So yes, a coach will not be THE game changer for the Jazz, but it is definitely a factor that you want to incorporate.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    June 13, 2014 6:07 a.m.

I appreciate the first 3 comments made here regarding this article. This article is negative, and while it's probable the Jazz will not make the playoffs this year all we look for is improvement and growth. I believe the Jazz will add couple of new pieces this year and next year and then I think the playoffs will be in sight again. I'm sure there will be negative comments to come, but I'm glad I don't live my life with the old "the glass is half empty" outlook. Keep plugging along Jazz and you will have the support of your best fans, and the bandwagon fans will come back too as the team gets better.

• Wannabe Bakersfield, CA
    June 12, 2014 11:32 p.m.

Wait, wasn't Corbin the coach 2 years ago when they had 2 current all-stars, Millsap and Jefferson? He failed to get a competitive team to the playoffs 2 years ago, he failed to develop young talent the past 2 years giving way too many minutes to veterans with expiring contracts this year. I think he is a great person, but he had his chances, I don't see any defense for him. The only thing he succeeded at was reviving the career of Richard Jefferson, only because he gave Jefferson a chance. I believe Jefferson still did all the work coming into camp prepared and ready to lead. A new coach made a world of difference in Phoenix this past year. I'm excited for the changes coming. Go Jazz!!!

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    June 12, 2014 9:31 p.m.

I have high hopes for the Jazz and feel they will show a marked improvement in the upcoming season. Here's my prediction for where the 2014-2015 Jazz team will finish.

37-45
    (Last season, I predicted the Jazz would win 24 games.)

The Jazz will end up losing a lot of close games and finish out of the playoffs for another year, but improvement will be clearly seen. Alec Burks, Derrick Favors, Jeremy Evans and Trey Burke will all blossom under Quin Snyder's tutelage. By the end of season, the Jazz will be seen as giant killers; unfortunately, it will be too little too late as the early season losses will keep them out of the playoffs for another year. But watch out for what happens in the 2015-2016 season, when I predict they will make the playoffs and be seen as a dangerous team to have to play.

Too optimistic? I don't think so. In my opinion, The Jazz have hired the right coach, one who cares about player development and defense. Anything over 37 wins and he will have exceeded my expectations. Make the playoffs and he will be seen by Ute/Jazz fans as the second coming of Rick Majerus.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    June 12, 2014 6:54 p.m.

I think it's debatable whether or not Corbin improved his players. They certainly didn't improve their defense, especially as a team. It will be interesting to see if the players improve under Snyder and play to see what their potential is. If they have peaked the teams troubles go much deeper than a coach and a draft pick, but I think this team can get A LOT better with the proper coaching.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    June 12, 2014 6:35 p.m.

What a negative article. I have to admit that I was wrong early in the past season saying that I thought the young Jazz would pick things up in the second half and finish close to a .500 record. I don't think I'm wrong, though, thinking that Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and Alec Burks will all turn out to be fine NBA players. Oh, and you have to be blind not to see the improvement in both Favors and Burks this past season. I can say the following with confidence: the Jazz will be better next year, partly because of the draft, partly because of continued development of their still young nucleus, partly because of the play of Rudy Gobert and hopefully Raul Neto, partly because of a free agent aquisition or two, and partly because of the efforts and guidance of their management team and new head coach.