Utah

Accidents prompting possible restrictions on Corona Arch

Comments

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    June 13, 2014 9:30 a.m.

It's about time the BLM acted in a responsible manner here, otherwise we'll continue to be littered with deaths and destruction. Had Goblin Valley been in BLM control all the hoodoos would have been toppled by now.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    June 13, 2014 8:31 a.m.

Only 2, they drag a couple kids a year off Bridal Veil and Y mountain.
    Can't force a helmet on everyone walking around.

@linus Risking others lives with dangerous behavior is different than doing exciting things in an controlled environment.
    I can only hope I die doing something I love, instead of heart disease while yelling at kids to stay off my lawn with hose in hand.

• SAS Sandy, UT
    June 13, 2014 1:19 a.m.

No! DN Subscriber said I can do anything I want on public lands! Rope swing? Sure! Homemade explosives testing? Sure! Disco party through the campground at 2AM? Absolutely?

Heaven forbid the Bureau of Land Management actually do its job...

Oh, well, privatization will fix everything.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2014 9:16 p.m.

I think that the Arch should be off limits to ropes but it has nothing to do with safety.

No one can deny that every time a rope is set up on Corona Arch it does visible damage, not a lot per repel, but it's adding up and the rope scars are clearly visible from the base of the Arch. If you don't believe me go to the arch and look up, you will see multiple gouges about a half an inch wide, up to and inch deep and about 5 feet in length. The rope scars are created when the rope is pulled through after the repel.

Corona Arch is one of the most beautiful places in the world and I think it's worth protecting. There are literally hundreds of other places in Moab where climbers can set up just as spectacular rope swings.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    June 12, 2014 7:18 p.m.

I get a little bit tired of reading obituaries declaring that some young person died doing what he/she loved doing. I remember a time when I loved driving fast cars way over a hundred miles per hour. Now how smart was that? Had I killed myself (and maybe others), I doubt my parents would have defended my adventure or announced with satisfaction that I had died doing what I loved doing.

I think it may be time to bring some sanity back to recreation. Thrill seeking for the adrenalin rush is not recreation. It is a dangerous addiction.

• Eliot Genola, UT
    June 12, 2014 5:12 p.m.

The BLM is conducting a study and seeking public input on how to manage the arch. Obviously some want to allow people to use if for swinging and repelling and others prefer that it not be used in that way. Since the arch is on public land it makes sense for the BLM to seek input before deciding how it will be used. This is how sensible people resolve conflicting interests.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 12, 2014 3:13 p.m.

Remember all the talk about how "public lands belong to all of us" and they are "a place to go for recreation?"

Well, Big Brother's Bureau of Land Management wants you to know that (a) they are in charge, not you yahoos who live in the sticks instead of Washington, DC with the rest of the really smart people. And, (b) that you are too stupid to understand what receration is good for you, so Big Brother will define it for you. For your own good, mind you.

Remember, the professional "wilderness" advocates insist that other people not be allowed to do what they want to in the great outdoors, but only the politically approved hiking activities where you go worship Mother Gaia in an approved manner.

Short version: Washington objects to all the liberty and freedom taking place among the serfs.