Sports

Salem Hills star football recruit Porter Gustin carefully considering all options

Comments

• Bob Santaquin, UT
    Aug. 14, 2014 10:20 p.m.

I have heard that Porter will be offered a baseball pro contract in the next draft. He'll take the baseball contract out of HS over football. He has been told he'll play at first base or pitcher depending upon who drafts him.

Bob

• Fball Fanatic Salem, UT, UT
    Aug. 1, 2014 9:34 a.m.

In the last 8 days, two more SEC schools have evaluated local talent and offered scholarships to someone in this wonderful state. Who is that player and why would they not place their focus on Utah's "great players"? It appears that it has been another fabulous week for average talent. Apparently it pays to be a mediocre player competing against mediocre talent.
    Go Skyhawks!

• Fball Fanatic Salem, UT, UT
    July 21, 2014 2:57 p.m.

Now we finally have something we can both agree on. Masina and Covey are indeed great athletes! Therefore they combine for a total of 22 collegiate offers. How nice would it be to play on a team predicted to win state? How wonderful would it be to have a supporting cast full of 2, 3, and 4 star players. To be on a team where a dozen of your teammates will go on to play after high school. That sure makes it a lot easier to excel compared to being on a team predicted to win just one game last year.
    Lets just agree to disagree until we meet at the Salem vs Timpview game this season.
    Hopefully, UC Baller and Hawaii Fan will join us as well.
    See you all there.
    Go Skyhawks! :)

• Tenn12 Orem, UT
    July 21, 2014 12:28 p.m.

Wait what about Orem and Spanish Fork being below .500 teams yet still being very solid tough teams? If you've been around long enough you'd know Rivals, 247, Scout.com, all those "recruiting experts" are wrong as much as they are right. Let's not take everything they say to be truth. I define great as an athlete who can carry his team and impact every single game. Again, what happened against Timpview? You wouldn't even know he played that game by watching. He had no impact at all. Woods Cross? Again nice that he made a bunch of tackles. What else? Great is Covey. Great is Masina. They carried their teams to the state championship. They left their footprint on every single game, not just against 3a schools, and 5-6 4a schools. Gustin may carry his team far this year. And if he does, I will be the first to call him great. Can I ask you one thing? why are you so defensive because I think he's good, but not great? Why is that so insulting? I'm just not ready to anoint him as the best player this state has seen like you are.

• Fball Fanatic Salem, UT, UT
    July 21, 2014 10:18 a.m.

wrong again. I am assuming you will find both John and Porter at the high school with the team practicing right now.
    With that said....I will ask you a third time. Define a great athlete. Why are you avoiding the question?
    This is a great opportunity to present a logical case backed by facts or statistics. Come on Tenn 12....You can do this.
    Remember, numbers don't lie.
    Here is how the experts define greatness.
    The professionals at scouting services like 247 Sports rank players and give out a maximum of Five Stars.
    Gustin is ranked 23rd in the nation and has Five Stars! Are they wrong?
    Who was the last Utah Valley athlete with Five Stars?
    The analytical experts use the SPARQ test to define greatness.
    Gustin scored over a 130 on his first ever test.
    Name the last athlete in Utah to exceed 120 on the SPARQ.
    Colleges use their in house analyst to define greatness prior to extending an offer.
    Gustin has received offers from 17 of the pre season top 25 teams in America.
    Includiing reigning National Champions Florida State and contender Ohio State.
    Who was the last athlete in Utah recruited by both of those schools?
    Step up Tenn 12.

• Tenn12 Orem, UT
    July 20, 2014 11:25 p.m.

Fball Fanatic/porter/john,
    You're not personally attacking me? I invite you to reread your post. There were several attacks. Again, I'm glad he makes a lot of tackles. Whoop dee do. Players on every team each year rack up double digit tackles. Racking up or padding stats with tackles does not make one great. Orem and Spanish Fork were quality teams? Seriously? Below .500 teams are quality? Since… when? Woods X is the only good team you cited. Sorry, but that's a fact. Now, as far as I know, nobody has said Gustin is a bad player in these comments. I certainly haven't. I have only stated I am not ready to call him a great football player because he has not performed great against good competition enough. Sadly, in the region he plays in, he probably won't get tested but maybe once against Timpview. He certainly has the potential because of his size, strength, and speed. I am simply waiting to see his greatness more consistently on the field. If I'm supposed to call him the best player in the state, I need to see him impact games against good teams more often.

• Fball Fanatic Salem, UT, UT
    July 20, 2014 9:22 p.m.

Tenn 12. I am not personally attacking you.....i don't even know you. I am however questioning your ability to create and present an educated opinion pertaining to the topic. It is very evident you have avoided any attempt to research the topic. You ask how he did against good opponents yet should know that answer before you share your opinion. Let me answer that question for you since I did take time to research the topic prior to commenting.
    In the last four games of the season (following his injury) all against third seeded teams or better he averaged the following stats.

Orem 11 Tackles
    Spanish Fork 13 Tackles
    Orem 12 Tackles
    Woods X 16 Tackles

That is an average of 13 tackles per game against very quality teams that all went to playoffs.
    These figures are better than any other player in the state.
    This lead to 40 Division 1 offers and a five star rating from the experts at 247 sports.
    He was invited to compete against the top 162 players in the country and finished 9th in the SPARQ test with a 130.

What frustrates me are people like you that have no clue about football yet try to tear these accomplishments down.

Please define great.

• Tenn12 Orem, UT
    July 20, 2014 6:51 p.m.

fballfanatic,
    There is no need to personally attack and insult everyone who disagrees with you. If he racks up stats and tackles against average or below average opponents, well great, good for him. There are many good high school players each year that have great stats but aren't great players at the next level. How did he play against good opponents? I saw him twice last year so admittedly that is a small sample size but he looked like a big kid and a good athlete but nothing special. Playing outside linebacker against Timpview he still had many opportunities to impact that game, but.. he didn't. Sounds like excuses. Covey and Tview's running back ran inside AND outside several times unimpeded. He could have made more plays. Perhaps that was a bad game for him. Lastly, I live in Orem, I don't play or coach there. I don't have family/friend affiliations on that team so you beating them twice last year is just fine with me. Let's not post off topic or immature comments.

• Fball Fanatic Salem, UT, UT
    July 20, 2014 5:13 p.m.

I am curious to know what the definition of a "great player" would be to an Orem fan ? I just looked at his stats in the two games he played against your number one seeded Orem Tigers last year. It appears he had 23 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 interception in leading his team to two straight upset victories over Orem. I repeat...23 tackles, 2 sacks and an interception!!!!! All while wearing a cast over a broken arm with three pins in his right wrist. Not great!? I am guessing it is just a case of sour apples since Orem was knocked out of the playoffs by a one handed "good player" on a team so bad it was predicted to win just one game all season. Please come to the table with stats or facts as opposed to vindictive opinions (due to a loss) with nothing to back up your position.
    Thank you.

• Fball Fanatic Salem, UT, UT
    July 20, 2014 4:57 p.m.

Tenn 12. I can understand your frustration since Gustin dominated Orem twice last year and it must have been very embarrassing to be upset (twice) by a team predicted to finish last in its region. Ooops! Wasn't Orem the number one seed in its region? Gustin played inside linebacker in both of those games. Against Timpview he was the outside linebacker and not responsible for stoping the run game up the A gap. Timpview did everything possible to avoid the c gap and or run outside the tackles. Smart on Coach Whitts part. We will see how Timpview does against Salem this year with Gustin in the middle. Cant wait to see how Orem does again as well.

• Tenn12 Orem, UT
    July 20, 2014 9:48 a.m.

Sorry gonna have to go with UC Baller on this one. He was a good player last year, not great. He was MIA against Timpview on both sides of the ball. He had zero impact on the game. If he was great he would have. That being said, I am excited to see what he can do his senior year.

• Fball Fanatic Salem, UT, UT
    July 15, 2014 11:26 a.m.

Hello? UC Baller? Are you still out there? *crickets*
    Thats what I thought.
    Have a great day.

• Fball Fanatic Salem, UT, UT
    July 12, 2014 8:20 p.m.

To further prove my point.....lets look at the first two playoff games for each team. This should alleviate your weak argument about playing lesser talent even though we ARE in the same region.

Timpview's first two playoff games with tackling stats.

Nacua 9 and 2
    Reid 3 and 4
    Kafusi 4 and 1
    Anae 2 and 1

Total Tackles for all four athletes combined. 26. Total Interceptions for all four athletes combined 0.

Salems first two playoff games with Tackling stats.

Gustin 12 and 16. Interceptions 1.

Therefore, it appears that your four selected "superior athletes" from Timpview still fail to compare to one from Salem Hills.

Are we done with this argument yet? You need to elevate your game if you plan to continue this debate.

• Fball Fanatic Salem, UT, UT
    July 12, 2014 5:33 p.m.

Criticism? What criticism? He is ranked number 1 in Utah, has 40 offers, recored the highest SPARQ score among any Utah athlete EVER, is ranked 34 in the nation among all players and can go wherever he wants. I doubt your uniformed opinion means anything to him. I was also at the Salem game against Timpview. Covey was 8-14 for 141 yards and a pick. wow! Gustin threw for 214 behind a team predicted to finish last in the region. Timpviews leading tackler was Nacua with 3. Wow! Porter at outside linebacker was not responsible for stopping the 26 attempts of Tuua up the A gap but most people who know football understand that.
    Lets compare stats against a common opponent (Woods Cross) that both teams played within a week of each other in playoffs.
    If we take the total tackles of Nacua (3), Reid (6), Kafusi (0) and Anae (3) you still do not equal the output of Gustin who had 16 tackles against the same opponent with two broken arms. And you wonder why he has more offers than the whole Timpview team combined. It is because he outproduced the whole Timpview defense. Again, I would stick with the experts on this one. They understand this game!

• UC Baller Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2014 12:52 a.m.

Haha. Better learn to handle criticism. Especially when it's correct.

Name the 5 TV kids that were better? I didn't even know who Gustin was and neither did anyone else that night. Sorry. And he def didn't stand out. The TUA kid and Covey were way better on offense. TUA rushed for 200 yards compared to Gustins 19. covey ran thru SHills and made electric runs. Gustin was MIA on offense. And the Reid kid Nacua and Kafusi were all better that night on defense. Easily. Gustin wasn't even 50% passing and can you say INT? Gustin had a whopping 1 tackle on defense. 1? Just keep that film hidden from all the so called experts. Against a decent team he wasn't very good. But against a poor Region 8 teams he is great. So relax.

• UC Baller Salt Lake City, UT
    July 11, 2014 3:54 p.m.

I have watched him play 3 times. Small sample size agreed, but he was never the best player on the field. No this isnt a personal attack so parents please lay off.I saw him play against Timpview and they destroyed SHills. There were 5 athletes at Timpview I would have taken over this young man athletically. Now, he has grown and his Sparq scores are impressive. And he has the body. He isnt an offense guy at the next level(again parents dont attack) but he will be a decent LB. I think he has the toughness and his offer list is very dang impressive. I was disappointed he didnt camp at the All Poly camp but sat out. I guess he could only hurt his stock so that is smart. But he will learn quickly that there are 6 other guys just like him if he goes to USC or and SEC school. But thats OK at least he will get a shot. I hope he makes it. BYU waited and got burned. Used to that. He wants to play for a winner so Utah is out.Bigger dreams. USC would be nice. Best of luck and choose wisely!

• gamer PROVO, UT
    July 11, 2014 3:44 p.m.

BYU fans love Porter Gustin!! "HOOPCOACH" IS MOST LIKELY A Ute TROLL.

It would be awesome to see Porter at BYU! He will be an incredible LB or DE in college. I think if he put his mind to it he could be a stellar TE and even QB in the next level as well.

Even if BYU has more than their share of LB schollies in their allotment- they should offer porter. He could potentially play 4 positions at a high level.

• baseballfan22 Holladay, UT
    June 12, 2014 1:28 p.m.

He would end up at Utah long before he would end up at Byu. Bc I'm pretty sure most recruits won't relish the idea of playing for what power conferences are now considering a mid major and won't schedule them and from the looks of it is probably going to be on probation. All byu is now is a glorified d ll school. Might as well state scheduling Dixie state and Suu. Bc pretty soon thats about all you will be willing to play them. Spoken like a true clueless coug fan. One thing about it since he has been in high school utah has beat byu everytime. Byu completely dropped the ball on this one. No doubt about it. No use even trying to save face. He will end up at usc and come play utah twice probably on his way to the NFL. Kills me. Byu and utah both need to find a way to keep these big time recruits to stay at home. Bc Porter Gustin isn't the only one they are going to miss out on. There are about 4 or 5 that are going to get away to some pretty big time schools.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    June 12, 2014 10:36 a.m.

Gustin will end up in Provo long before he would end up in SLC... Most recruits don't relish the idea of playing for a team that is a constant cellar-dweller and one that has been bowless the entire time that they have been in HS with no opportunities in site.

• zmillion2 West Jordan, UT
    June 12, 2014 5:02 a.m.

@U-PAC...
    He himself stated that he is a BYU fan. I don't know of anyone who drove from Idaho to Utah to see the Cougs play other than a BYU fan.

• zmillion2 West Jordan, UT
    June 12, 2014 4:57 a.m.

@Utah fans...
    Why you keep bringing up Whit and Sitake is a bad bargaining chip as everyone that isn't a Ute fan can see that Whit will be gone by the time this kid is in college. Also Sitake will most likely be shown the door as well if Whit is fired. All the better for us Cougs, as Whit and Sitake will both probably be in BYU Polo's when he's playing in college.

@BYU fans...
    I don't see us offering him a scholarship this late in the process though. It's clear at this point that out of his childhood love and respect for the Y that a scholarship offer would simply be sentimental for him. I do believe we have burned the bridge.

• PhilRM Anchorage, AK
    June 11, 2014 3:04 p.m.

"How in the world has Bronco not offered this kid. He'd commit to them, he's already stated that if they'd offered after camp he'd signed. How in the world do you not offer a 4 star linebacker a scholarship?"

Answer: Because Bronco lives in Utah Valley and knows the kind of competition this kid is playing against week in and week out: Payson, Juab, Wasatch, Provo, Spanish Fork. These aren't exactly top Texas, Southern Cal, or Southeast United States powerhouse schools. Lets see how he stacks up against talent from these areas of the country before we start lauding this kid.

• 311ute Reno, NV
    June 11, 2014 2:18 p.m.

Hoopcoach is a great example of why BYU is so disliked by so many. As someone who grew up in Utah and has spent many years in other places, there is nothing like the judgement that comes so quickly from a few individuals in a certain Utah based faith. This is not to say everyone is that way, there are far more awesome people than not but it's the ones like Hoopcoach that make the others look bad.

Not offering a 4 * stud linebacker who grew up wanting to go to your institution is beyond insane. Even if the kid did have some issues in the past, does that disqualify him from attending your school?

If I were a BYU fan, I would be outraged.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    June 11, 2014 1:02 p.m.

@BlueCollar

"Porter, go to the place that will make you the best man that you can be"

Or just pick a good school and make yourself the best man you can be.

• WJCoug South Jordan, Utah
    June 11, 2014 12:30 p.m.

Hoopcoach - Did you really say that??? And I am sure you know all the facts of what allegedly happened as well? Based on what I have heard it is questionable at best if the kid did anything wrong at all.

I am tired of this whole judging thing that goes on, as if we are "better" than those we choose to cast stones at. Unfortunately my kids have been subjected to it for years from neighbors, church leaders, and others. I never dreamed that as a father I would have to deal with the self-righteous judgments made by selfish, self-serving individuals who know none of the facts. The impact on a couple of my kids has been devastating - but that's a discussion for another day.

I hope Bronco comes around and offers this kid, though at this juncture I am not sure that he would give BYU the time of day. Can only hope that Bronco knows what he is doing.

• Blue Collar Huntington, UT
    June 11, 2014 11:48 a.m.

Porter, go to the place that will make you the best man that you can be. I wish all the best, sounds like you have put the work in and deserve this opportunity . Good luck where ever you go kid.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    June 11, 2014 10:45 a.m.

I can't see this guy playing in-state. He wants a good education AND a shot at a title he needs to choose Stanford since they apparently have offered.

I would surely love it if this guy went to BYU, but that may not be in the cards. If he meets the standard offer him a baseball scholarship and use him as a dual athlete. Its not that hard to do when he is obviously great at both.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2014 10:44 a.m.

btw...

I would love to see Porter choose to say home and choose the Utes. Coach Whitt has a long history of putting linebackers in the NFL.

Go Utes!

• ScooterZG Star, ID
    June 11, 2014 10:37 a.m.

Message to both sides, BYU fans and Utah fans, regarding Gustin.

BYU Fans: Fact is, Bronco messed up big time on this one. He camped to BYU early and was expecting an offer, one didn't come. Why exactly, I'm not sure but at the time he was an unrated, largely unknown LB from little Salem Hills. Then he released his Junior film, which is impressive, and he blew up. Got offers from Utah and the rest of the Pac 12 and it spread like wildfire to the rest of the BCS conference. But by that time, the bridge had been burned with BYU.

Bronco made a big mistake, he could have locked Gustin up early. There are no moral or character issues or LB allotment problems, that's an excuse. Bronco or whomever was scouting him missed big time, so now BYU will try to save face by not offering at all.

Utah Fans: Gustin is not coming here. Period. It is apparent that his main goal is to win a National Championship...that wouldn't happen at either in-state school. He is SEC bound, so don't get the hopes up or crow over BYU.

• Fight On! St George, Utah
    June 11, 2014 10:15 a.m.

Can't wait to see this kid suit up for my Trojans.

Academics - Check
    Winning Conference Championships - Check
    Contending for Nat'l Championships - Check
    Preparing for the NFL - Check

His family are HUGE BYU fans, so I'm sure they are pretty familiar with Sark. He already signed 3 top LDS athletes in his first class at SC, so Porter will fit right in!

Why would he want to play anywhere else?

• Fight On! St George, Utah
    June 11, 2014 10:14 a.m.

Can't wait to see this kid suit up for my Trojans.

Academics - Check
    Winning Conference Championships - Check
    Contending for Nat'l Championships - Check
    Preparing for the NFL - Check

Why would he want to play anywhere else?

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    June 11, 2014 10:01 a.m.

How does this happen?

The kid has offers to virtually EVERY elite program in the country, but somehow Bronco can't find room to offer him a scholly?

And I am sick and tired of hearing people throw this kid through the mud and labeling him with low character or integrity. He is 17 years old! Maybe he hasn't figured everything out yet, but if BYU truly does stand for everything I hope it does, this kid should not be rejected because of mistakes he may or may not have made.

You can't let a 4-star LB with offers to USC, Ohio St., and Florida St. slip away. Especially one in your backyard who has dreamed of playing at BYU his whole life.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2014 9:56 a.m.

Obviously academics is the most important thing, but after that it’s about winning a conference championship, contending for a national championship, and then preparing as best he can for the NFL

Go UTES!!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2014 9:50 a.m.

Hoopcoach
    Provo, UT

"Having witnessed an incident during basketball season, it does not surprise me at all that BYU has not offered. Character is very high on BYU's list..."

Character is high on byu's list? How's that Kearsley kid working out? Not so great, from what I've read. Well, the warning signs were there but byu wanted and took him anyway.

Character is so high on byu's list. LOL! Fights, drinking, etc. Bottom line, byu has the same problems every other program has including potential NCAA sanctions. Time to come down from that high horse you're riding.

• Indy St George, Utah
    June 11, 2014 9:48 a.m.

Gustin on Utah:

"Every year I'd drive from where I lived in Idaho to come to BYU not Utah, nothing against Utah though, I need to be respectful to Utah because they offered me. I do have great contacts at both schools right now (BYU and Utah) and Utah has shown more love obviously with an offer,"

Wait... So he would rather play for the mid-major Cougars than the PAC-12 Utes?
    How can this be??

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 11, 2014 8:50 a.m.

@Hoopcoach

Did you really just play the "he doesn't have good enough character card to play at BYU, so he should go to a 'lesser' school" card? And you wonder why everyone in the country thinks BYU fans are the most arrogant...

• Hoopcoach Provo, UT
    June 10, 2014 11:22 p.m.

Having witnessed an incident during basketball season, it does not surprise me at all that BYU has not offered. Character is very high on BYU's list... I'm not doubting his athletic ability at all, he's an incredible athlete. He may or may not fit the criteria that is required at BYU. He may be better off at another school. Good luck to the young man. He potentially could be playing on Sunday's.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 10, 2014 11:15 p.m.

I wish Porter the best of luck with whatever decision he comes to, but I of course hope he stays home!
    Porter, you've gotta love your NFL odds playing defense for Whittingham and Sitake up on the hill. Here's to hoping you stick around!

• dnay Salt Lake City, UT
    June 10, 2014 10:59 p.m.

How in the world has Bronco not offered this kid. He'd commit to them, he's already stated that if they'd offered after camp he'd signed. How in the world do you not offer a 4 star linebacker a scholarship? I read somewhere that they were over their allotment at linebacker, and to that I say SO WHAT, he will be better then many of the 2 star linebackers you have on the roster, Bronco pull your head out and get that kid in a Cougar uniform!