Utah

Gay marriage issue pumps up Utah Pride Parade

Comments

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    June 11, 2014 7:52 p.m.

According to several very recent articles researchers are finding not one gay gene, but several genes that work together are seem to be identified with being gay.

Well, actually, the combination does not "cause gayness," it causes a strong attraction to men. In males this seems to be related to homosexuality. But those gene combinations are also found in females who "mate earlier and more often" than those women who don't have the gene. In fact, the "male attracted" gene combinations seem to run in families, where the sisters of gay men have about 30% more children on average than their peers who don't have the genes.

The research is not conclusive, but it is very interesting. And it suggests that I was, in fact, born this way.

• Liberty For All Cedar, UT
    June 11, 2014 3:30 p.m.

RedWings is correct many have overcome their SSA by living according to the Gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We have many in our stake who bear testimony to that very fact. While others take advantage of modern hormonal treatments like Depo Provera. There is no magic solution for recovery from additions since each person has to find their own path, but living according Gospel is a great start.

• Lane Myer Salt Lake City, UT
    June 11, 2014 11:35 a.m.

Avenue

Vernal, UT

Amendment 3 of the Utah Constitution is in full compliance with the Constitution of the United States. Amendment 3 never forbid anyone from marrying. The marriage must comply with state laws, which require the marriage to be between one man and one woman. The equal protection requirement of the 14th amendment is fully met.
    --------------

Please sxplain what happened with Loving v Virginia to all of us. Everyone in Virginia could marry - they just had to marry someone of the same race, complying with state law and (according to you) the 14th amendment. By your evaluation, the SCOTUS should not have ruled against Virginia.

Thoughts?

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    June 11, 2014 10:25 a.m.

@ EstoPerpetua:

You may feel you were born that way, and you are entitled to feel as you do. Others struggle with SSA and overcome it. My point is that there is no irrefutable, unbiased study that proves SSA is genetic. That you feel that way is not scientific proof.

As to your philosophy: What about striving to improve? Improving or refining ourselves used to be the great goal of life. Today the goal is to accept ourselves. I have years of living in addictions, and I choose now not to be defined as an acddict. I choose to become something better. I know who I am - an addict - but I refuse to be that person. I believe people can become more than they are today.

• EstoPerpetua Holden, MA
    June 11, 2014 9:38 a.m.

@ RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT

"Sorry, but this is not true. There is no proof that SSA is genetic. Studies that make that conclusion are biased in their approach."

No need to be sorry, people need to update their knowledge because it is true. I am gay and I know I was born that way, no one else knows me as I do. I followed the teachings "Know thyself and be true to thyself" or in today's terms - "Know who you are and be that person." Doing anything else would be living a lie which I won't do.

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    June 11, 2014 8:32 a.m.

@ EstoPerpetua: "Science has proven that LGBTs are born LGBTs so God created LGBTs that way."

SSA does exist, but it can be changed. What we are allowing today is government protection of a behavior, not a characteristic. This is unprecedented in legal history, and we are opning a pandora's box of problems for society in the future.

• Avenue Vernal, UT
    June 10, 2014 9:33 p.m.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    June 10, 2014 5:19 p.m.

"Marriage is so fundamental to our society and to those of us in the silent majority . . . "

Okay, Coleman, hold on. First off, what do you mean "silent"? People with your stance are hardly silent. And "majority"? You better check the polls again.

• EstoPerpetua Holden, MA
    June 10, 2014 11:30 a.m.

@coleman51 Orem, UT
    "Marriage is so fundamental to our society and to those of us in the silent majority a sacred institution that altering or redefining it is an affront to our conscience and a rejection of God since the very nature of God requires the union between a man and woman who become sacred and holy beings, spotless and pure, and completely one with each other."

If you check the statistics in America there is no silent majority who consider marriage a sacred institution. People get married and do not have children and people have children and do not get married. Science has proven that LGBTs are born LGBTs so God created LGBTs that way. God created us with a brain and expects us to use it to learn and to educate. This is the 21st century and people are moving into it.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    June 10, 2014 10:09 a.m.

@wasatchpowder:

"No, it is not. Two guys dressed up in tutus making out on a street corner is not in my opinion family friendly."

Your type always picks the demonstrative, obvious examples to rail against. On the surface, you're right . . but then I'm not too keen on heterosexuals "making out" in public either, especially if they're wearing something equivalent to a tutu. Extreme PDA is rarely welcome in "family" events regardless of the genders involved.

A better question is, would have you a problem with two gay men holding hands or exhanging a basic kiss like a straight couple could do without anyone even batting an eye? Parades are designed to be ostentatious, and some outliers use them to shock people, but many posters here would object to any displays of affection that don't fit into their nice Mormony box of acceptable behaviors.

• nycut New York, NY
    June 10, 2014 7:14 a.m.

@RocketScience makes a gender-based argument against gay marriage, asserting men are different from women, and kids need both to thrive.

Makes good sense-- if you neatly divide complex people into simplistic "man" "woman" categories: Blue or pink. Leader-Disciplinarian-Providers or Supportive-Empathetic-Nurturers. We've seen this complementation at work for straight people for centuries-- but not all straight people, and not always all that well.

All of which is completely irrelevant to gay people.

Having a different sexual orientation means questioning assumptions at play for others.

The world has long derided gay men as "too" feminine, lesbians as "too" masculine. But gay people aren't defective, they're exactly who they are: each a wonderful blend of human potential. No need to stifle one trait in service of another.

Gay people are nurturing and strong and empathetic and disciplinarian.

So while you're busy shooing boys and girls to separate sides of the dance floor, you'll find gay people dancing-- expressing the full range of positive human qualities-- in the center of floor with all the other happily-formed couples.

The children of gay couples benefit from whatever positive qualities their parents possess, like everyone else.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    June 9, 2014 11:24 p.m.

It is of interest to me to see how patronizing people are to those of us who do not support the gay agenda and will not recognize marriage as anything other than the union between one man and one woman. I won't bother to argue my position to any of you because you have closed your minds to anything that disagrees with your opinion. However, the comparison between "gay marriage" and blacks and the priesthood is an utterly false comparison since the majority of us rejoiced when blacks did receive the Priesthood. Also, I have a gay nephew and that still has not altered my position. Marriage is so fundamental to our society and to those of us in the silent majority a sacred institution that altering or redefining it is an affront to our conscience and a rejection of God since the very nature of God requires the union between a man and woman who become sacred and holy beings, spotless and pure, and completely one with each other. We consider those who alter the meaning of marriage as totally deceived.

• CBAX Provo, UT
    June 9, 2014 10:54 p.m.

Grown men dancing in their underclothing... in cages!

I laughed for a decent while.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    June 9, 2014 5:39 p.m.

Celebration of sin? I acknowledge the reality of the right to choose for themselves...celebration of sin is another matter altogether!

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    June 9, 2014 5:29 p.m.

Interesting that a few here who claim LDS membership seem to have chosen NOT to follow the Prophet, giving in to the whims of society. The question arises and needs to be answered "have ye inquired of the Lord"?(1 Nephi 15:8)

• MtnDewed Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2014 4:39 p.m.

Redshirt: "The Mormons Building Bridges are joing with groups that teach that gay marriage is good, while the LDS doctrine says the gay marriage is bad."

----------

Maybe I misread the article (or maybe you did), but MBB are not joining with other groups that believe SSM is good. I think it said that they do not have an opinion on SSM.

I believe that they are merely extending a loving heart to gays. They marched to show that some Mormons are kind and loving people who are not judgmental. I see only good in that.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    June 9, 2014 3:48 p.m.

To "MtnDewed" it isn't the disagreement it is the association and support given to the gay marriage groups. It is the association with and support given to groups that teach things contrary to LDS doctrine. The Mormons Building Bridges are joing with groups that teach that gay marriage is good, while the LDS doctrine says the gay marriage is bad.

To "The Real Maverick" there is a big difference in supporting groups that fight for being kind to everybody, and supporting groups that preach that gay marriage is good. The LDS leaders said to be kind to everybody and they have also said that marriage is between a man and woman only. If you are an LDS member, and are preaching that SSM is good, then you are preaching against LDS doctrine.

If you are preaching against LDS doctrine, how can a member in good standing renew their temple recommend and honestly say that they do not support groups or people that teach things contrary to LDS teachings?

• U-tar Woodland Hills, UT
    June 9, 2014 3:38 p.m.

Bet this won

• MtnDewed Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2014 3:37 p.m.

jarka-rus

"And no the church will not kick you out(or sanction you), "

----------

I do believe the defination of sanction (in this context) means to threaten or fine - not expel. So denying someone a temple recommend is more of a sanction, right? But Elder Clayton said that there would be no sanctioning.

Maybe my dictionary is wrong, but that is what it says.

• U-tar Woodland Hills, UT
    June 9, 2014 3:32 p.m.

Gays are all pumped up, according to head line, sheeeesh.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    June 9, 2014 3:29 p.m.

jarka-rus wrote, "And no the church will not kick you out(or sanction you), BUT you can be denied a temple recommend."

I can't tell you what is happening now, but in 1979 Sonia Johnson--a fourth generation Mormon woman in Virginia--was excommunicated from the LDS church after a collection of trumped up charges ("apostasy") were levied. Her crime was her support of the Equal Rights Amendment and her criticism of the church leaders for their blind opposition to it.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    June 9, 2014 3:24 p.m.

@ MurrayGuy
    You wrote:
    "Do you think I like seeing my Church slandered or attacked? Live and Let Live is a good principle to live by."

Your church is the church of my teenage years, is the church of my parents, brothers and sisters and that make it more painful.

You cannot accuse us of slandering the church. Slandering indicates false accusations, we are not making false accusations. Not only that, we have said time and time again, all churches have the right to hold their beliefs and discriminate against LGBT in their services and the homes of their followers.

Because of my faith I subjected myself to reparative therapy (electric shocks) counseling and other psychiatric and spiritual treatments.

As a missionary I preached against my feelings. Prayed for death.

I left the church to be free but the church didn't let me go.

The church worked hard to punish me on the civil arena as well and prevented me from joining my life to the person I love, depriving me my beloved and my child of the security of a legally recognized family.

I am willing to forgive the church. But the church is not ready to be forgiven.

• equal protection Cedar, UT
    June 9, 2014 2:34 p.m.

Many are beginning to see that irrational same-sex marriage bans based on vile animus, hate and prejudice do not pass constitutional muster. Much like the historical personal views of every caring, thoughtful person who just happened to hold deep and strong personal views on where African Americans should sit on public transportation, who they should marry, or their use of separate drinking fountains and educational institutions. The defense and support of Jim Crow laws could be similar to same-sex marriage bans today, and most likely undeserving of respect or tolerance when it comes to civil marriage and public accommodations law discrimination. T

In the words of Bishop Desmond Tutu: “I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I demand the full menu of rights.”

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    June 9, 2014 2:05 p.m.

@MtnDewed
    Of course we have our agency to choose for ourselves, Elder Clayton was perfectly correct in that statement. And no the church will not kick you out(or sanction you), BUT you can be denied a temple recommend.

• MurrayGuy Murray, UT
    June 9, 2014 2:04 p.m.

@RanchHand,

My point, exactly made. None of us can make up for the past hurts or loss you may feel. For myself I feel I was guided by deeply held beliefs and as I have said reevaluated the way I believe about it. As long as both sides continue to nurture grudges when will anything get resolved. The "my way or the highway" approach does not work that is my point. I won't sit here and feel sorry for my past thoughts, I never hated gays nor was derogatory. If I could vote again knowing more about my neighbors and friends than I did then yes I would but life changes us based on experience but I am tired of people listing the ways they have been "abused" by me. Do you think I like seeing my Church slandered or attacked? Live and Let Live is a good principle to live by.

• LovelyDeseret Gilbert, AZ
    June 9, 2014 1:53 p.m.

I don't believe that people should have parades to flaunt their sexuality. We need to protect families.

• wasatchpowder Sandy, UT
    June 9, 2014 1:52 p.m.

"It really is a place where even families are welcome. It's just become, I would say, more tame and more diverse in its make up," Ben McAdams said.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    June 9, 2014 1:22 p.m.

@The Real Maverick 12:54 p.m. June 9, 2014

You caught that too. The attitudes and programs and plans promoted by posters like redshirt strike me as being very close to Lucifer's plan -- coercing and enforcing "morality" without allowing individuals any choice in the matter. I fought against that plan in the pre-mortal existence, and I am still fighting against it now. I stood for the right to free agency in the face of some pretty strong opposition in the pre-mortal existence and I still stand for it now.

I live my life in harmony with the Gospel. I just believe that others should have the right to make that type of decision for themselves, and not have it forced on them.

• Vince here San Diego, CA
    June 9, 2014 1:10 p.m.

BU52

Why are you quoting the often-quoted citation that Ghandi used to refer to Christians?

That's right, "love the sinner, hate the sin" is nowhere in Christian texts.

Your ideology is flawed in representing ideological Christian beliefs and in the context in which you present it.

Rather, the New Testament says "Love one another."

That's it - very simple.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    June 9, 2014 12:54 p.m.

@ redshirt

"How can these people claim to be members in good standing at the same time they align themselves with groups that are contrary to the LDS church? Every time a member goes to have their temple recommend renewed they are asked "Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?" This gay pride parade was quite loud in their declaration of their teachings and practices that are contrary to the LDS doctrine."

There's a big difference between supporting the definition of traditional marriage of the 20th century and actively promoting discrimination. Those who vote for amendments and for business "rights" are promoting discrimination. They desire special rights to be able to refuse service to certain 2nd class citizens. As an active member I believe people have the choice to be married to whoever they want. I also support our divinely inspired constitution and denounce discrimination.

I'm sorry that you support discrimination. The master certainly didn't.

• MtnDewed Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2014 12:43 p.m.

Redshirt1701

You keep saying that any member who does not agree with the Church regarding gay marriage, should not be a member in good standing and they are not supporting the prophet or leaders of the church, BUT

Elder L. Whitney Clayton said (during the Prop 8 debates in CA), "Latter-day Saints are free to disagree with their church on the issue (Gay Marriage) without facing any sanction. We love them and bear them no ill will."

Why do you keep judging these members when the Elders are not doing so?

• get her done Bountiful, UT
    June 9, 2014 12:20 p.m.

People that don't approve of gay marriage, should perhaps morve out of Utah.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    June 9, 2014 11:58 a.m.

I worry when I see groups of LDS members like "Mormon Building Bridges" or individual members announcing that they have no opinion on marriage. The LDS church has been very clear that marriage is between a man and a woman only. The people who disagree with that or who push for that to change are showing that they do not support the Prophet and leaders of the LDS church.

• MoNoMo Fair Oaks, CA
    June 9, 2014 11:11 a.m.

Uncle_Fester

Use of the term "Pride" is a way of simply saying we can be proud of who we are, we don't need ashamed, we don't accept discrimination, we shouldn't have to hide in the shadows and we are entitled to equal rights.

I imagine you celebrate your "straight pride" on an almost daily basis, even small ways. Do you openly talk about your spouse and family? Have you even held hands in public? Have you ever placed a picture of your family on your desk at work? Did you have a ceremony when married?

When straight people are harassed for being straight, denied jobs and housing, beat up or killed just for being straight - then you may have a point.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    June 9, 2014 11:09 a.m.

@Uncle Fester writes, "Since when is sexual proclivity or orientation a source of pride? It's an accomplishment of some sort?"

It's gender orientation, Uncle Fester. And the "pride" is not because they are special, but because they now are able to be fully open and honest about who they are--like straights have been all along. It isn't any different than Irish celebrating their heritage on March 17, or Mormons celebrating Pioneer Day. If you had experience as a victim of discrimination where had to conceal who you were to get along (Tiago has spoken eloquently about this), you would, indeed, embrace the "pride" movement.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2014 10:59 a.m.

@Uncle Fester
    "Since when is sexual proclivity or orientation a source of pride? It's an accomplishment of some sort? If "Gay Pride" is OK, then what about Straight Pride? Anyone think that would be allowed to be celebrated?"

Thanks to the disproportionate bigotry thrown the way of LGBT people, and the resulting high depression and suicide rates, the point of these pride parades is to assert that no, they aren't lesser than anybody else, and they shouldn't feel ashamed that they have this difference. Straight people don't face this particular challenge so an equivalent parade for us wouldn't make sense.

@SLCPorter
    "Ben McAdams has in the past been a strong supporter of LGBT Rights, but he was one of the key figures in SLC who was missing when the marriages were happening in December. Sounds like a fair weather friend to me. "

I don't understand how that would be a fair weather friend. A fair weather friend would be someone who didn't care about same-sex marriage and then once it became legal suddenly go "oh I was always for it" (ignore your team until it's doing well).

• SLCPorter SLC, UT
    June 9, 2014 10:40 a.m.

Ben McAdams has in the past been a strong supporter of LGBT Rights, but he was one of the key figures in SLC who was missing when the marriages were happening in December. Sounds like a fair weather friend to me. Where were you Mayor?

• BU52 Provo, ut
    June 9, 2014 10:33 a.m.

love the sinner, hate the sin.

• dmcvey Los Angeles, CA
    June 9, 2014 9:57 a.m.

As someone born and raised in Utah but who now lives in California I just want to throw my support to all the brave people fighting for equality in the Beehive State! Well done brothers and sisters!

• Uncle_Fester Niskayuna, NY
    June 9, 2014 9:56 a.m.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    June 9, 2014 9:41 a.m.

Summarizing the criticism of the Parade participants: Proud, boastful Sabbath breakers. That's the best you could do? It took some real courage for Mormons to march in the parade. What a great example of Christ like love.

• EstoPerpetua Holden, MA
    June 9, 2014 8:45 a.m.

The 34 states that amended their constitutions to state that marriage was between a man and a woman did so several years ago. Fortunately Americans are fast learners and are realizing that these state amendments were based on the lack of knowledge about the LGBT community. They are realizing that giving equal rights to all Americans does not take away their rights and especially the equal right for same-gender marriage. They know that marriage is a major commitment between two people who love each other and want to be legally married.

Kudos to Salt Lake City for hosting a great, pride parade!

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    June 9, 2014 8:24 a.m.

@Coleman51, I can empathize with you, whether or not you believe it. Stuff that you've had drilled into you since childhood is not easy to shake, especially if you stay within the same insular community. It has been 36 years since the Revelation, but there are thousands of Mormons who still flinch at the idea of a black couple--or an interracial couple--being married in the Temple. It's easy to disparage people who you see as "other"--until you live with them or work side by side with them, and the utter unfairness of the discrimination becomes clear. It's been said that nothing makes a man into a feminist faster than having his fully qualified daughter get her application to medical school rejected. And nothing will turn an unapologetically anti-gay person into a pro SSM one as fast as finding out that their beloved son is gay.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    June 9, 2014 8:23 a.m.

@coleman51 - Interracial marriage and blacks in the priesthood still have a "silent majority." Doesn't make it correct.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    June 9, 2014 7:58 a.m.

@coleman51;

You don't have to accept anything. Don't. We don't care if you accept or not, the government, on the other hand...

The nice thing is, you don't get to decide whether or not we're married, even if you don't accept that we are.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    June 9, 2014 7:00 a.m.

There is a silent majority, particularly in Utah, who will never accept gay marriage no matter what the courts say or anyone else. We have to remain silent because there are so many voices that are supported by powerful special interests that want us to remain silent if we don't agree to their agenda. Our voices are not heard but we will never go away either. Something so fundamental to our society and sacred as marriage will never in our minds be tarnished and degraded by the gay agenda. Therefore, we silently reject any attempt to define marriage as anything other than a union between one man and one woman. Anything other than that we will never accept.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    June 9, 2014 6:41 a.m.

@Rocket Science;

Thankfully, in this country, the Federal Constitution trumps State Constitutions. You may not violate the rights of your fellow citizens, no matter how much you may want to do so.

@A1994;

The "ideal" is the enemy of the good.

@MurrayGuy;

Just as it is difficult for you to accept the marriages of your LGBT brothers and sisters, it is going to be VERY difficult for LGBT people to let go of the hurt caused them by Mormons and the LDS church. Put yourself in our shoes; you've voted on our rights, your church continues to fight against our civil rights and has put many of us through very painful times. It is going to take time for us too.

• Lightbearer Brigham City, UT
    June 9, 2014 1:45 a.m.

Re: "I can't help but note the irony of 'Mormons Building Bridges' out on the Sabbath day at a parade. How deeply do they believe in their religion?"

The parade was held on a Sunday, so Sunday was the only day they could participate.

"And [Jesus] said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath."

• Bob K Davis, CA
    June 9, 2014 12:28 a.m.

Rocket Science
    Brigham City, UT
    "Each State has an interest in seeing successful families. Unfortunately since the sexual revolution of the 1960's too large a percentage of families have deteriorated through divorce, and irresponsible, out of wedlock sexual relationships.
    Rutgers sociologist Professor David Popenoe writes...."

..... Yep, let's quote old articles by a die hard who teaches in a middling college in a State that has marriage equality, which is very popular, except among the conservative catholics he represents.

Let's ignore that orphanages are overflowing -- Gay families help give homes to hard to place kids.

Let's ignore that people are entitled to get married and never have children.

Let's forget that individuals may have Constitutional rights, and some churches do not agree, but they do not own the Government, even in Utah.

Divorce spoils families
    Lack of commitment spoils families
    Poverty spoils families.

Gay people marrying adds to the list of stable families.

Stubborn people who want to stop others' rights do not exactly enhance the Christian church.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    June 9, 2014 12:26 a.m.

@ Rocket Scientist, 34 states amended their constitutions because of animus toward gays and heavy lobbying by fundamentalist Christian and LDS churches. I doubt that one voter in 100 knew who David Popenoe was.

You can always find one person out of dozens who will agree with you, even if you are claiming that the moon is made of green cheese. Neither Popenoe nor Regenerus have much of a reputation among sociologists.

• Sqweebie Salt Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2014 12:20 a.m.

A whole weekend of people acting full of themselves and boasting.

Pride is an inwardly directed emotion that carries two common meanings. With a negative connotation, pride refers to an inflated sense of one's personal status or accomplishments, often used synonymously with hubris (wiki)

dictionary:a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.
    the state or feeling of being proud.
    a becoming or dignified sense of what is due to oneself or one's position or character; self-respect; self-esteem.

• BoringGuy Holladay, UT
    June 8, 2014 10:58 p.m.

It's great to see Salt Lake giving the gay community the respect and dignity it deserves. A year or two from now, after the Supreme Court overturns gay marriage bans in all 50 states, our gay brothers and sisters in Utah will be able to get married in every county. It's going to be awesome!

• equal protection Cedar, UT
    June 8, 2014 10:54 p.m.

Many undoubtedly voted for Amendment 3 because of sincerely held religious beliefs that homosexuality is wrong or that gay marriage conflicts with doctrinal teachings. For them, the ban ensured that their “strongly held values” are “reflected in the law.” However, those beliefs cannot justify State-sponsored discrimination. “The same Constitution that protects the free exercise of one’s faith is the same Constitution that prevents the state from either mandating adherence to an established religion or ‘enforcing private moral or religious beliefs without an accompanying secular purpose. Some people also have “sincerely held religious beliefs” against interracial dating and interracial marriage. The Constitution prevents the State from enforcing such beliefs and simply recognizes that such views cannot deprive citizens of their constitutionally protected fundamental rights.

"Prejudice rises not from malice or hostile animus alone. It may result as well from insensitivity caused by simple want of careful, rational reflection or from some instinctive mechanism to guard against people who appear to be different from ourselves.”

• MurrayGuy Murray, UT
    June 8, 2014 10:45 p.m.

I love the the rants and hate in here. The LDS Church is your scapegoat for your anger and your vitriol. This is why we will never have a civil discourse, people mock the "Mormon building bridges" as a stunt and routine. You expect people who have held to opinions and beliefs to change over night? Rather than accept that people can evolve and learn to evolve, in other words "be human" you cast them as bigoted and shortsighted. Gay marriage is not an easy thing for many of us, and I admit it has taken me a long time to realize that how others choose to love is does not affect my beliefs. Nor does it detract that people I have come to know and respect are gay and are just the same as I. So, please give the rants a rest, let history fall where it may, and let those of us still coming to terms with changes have that time.

• 5th Amendment Salt Lake, UT
    June 8, 2014 10:45 p.m.

@A1994
    Taking your optimal parenting rationale to a logical conclusion, empirical evidence at hand should require that only rich, educated, suburban-dwelling, married Asians can marry while excluding all other heterosexual couples. The absurdity of such a requirement is self-evident.

Every major professional organization in this country whose focus is the health and well-being of children and families has reviewed the data on outcomes for children raised by lesbian and gay couples, including the methods by which the data were collected, and have concluded that these children are not disadvantaged compared to children raised in heterosexual parent households. Organizations expressing support for parenting, adoption, and/or fostering by lesbian and gay couples include (but are not limited to): American Medical Association, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Psychiatric Association, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, American Psychoanalytic Association, American Psychological Association, Child Welfare League of America, National Association of Social Workers, and the Donaldson Adoption Institute. It’s the quality of parenting that’s being offered. When these factors are present: good mental health, good parent-child relationships, warmth, stimulation, structure, and the availability of resources. Then we’re going to have a child who will be healthy.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    June 8, 2014 9:59 p.m.

@Rocket Science

In other words, a family with a mother and a father is the most ideal of circumstances under which to raise a child. Makes sense to me.

• jrp7sen Logan, UT
    June 8, 2014 9:56 p.m.

I'm Mormon from Logan, and attending school at BYUI. I support gay marriage and gay rights and protection. I couldn't attend the parade today unfortunately, but many of my friends from Logan and here at BYUI took the time during mid-terms to celebrate and be a part of this. Love will win. I will always support love, commitment and family- even when my church does not.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 8, 2014 9:52 p.m.

I support the free speech rights of citizen to peacefully assemble and demonstrate for, or against, anything they like.

However, I still oppose same sex marriage and most of the other stuff represented by this "festival."

Is this a wonderful country, or what!

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    June 8, 2014 9:12 p.m.

Rutgers sociologist Professor David Popenoe writes, "the burden of social science evidence supports the idea that gender-differentiated parenting is important for human development and the contribution of fathers to childrearing is unique and irreplaceable." He then concludes: "We should disavow the notion that mommies can make good daddies, just as we should the popular notion that daddies can make good mommies. The two sexes are different to the core and each is necessary; culturally and biologically;for the optimal development of a human being."

This is why 34 states specified the long held definition of marriage as the union of a man and a woman, Many doing so by amending their constitutions.

• Bob K Davis, CA
    June 8, 2014 6:42 p.m.

DEW Cougars
    Sandy, UT
    "What, parade in SLC? Do it in San Francisco but here"

--- But the church wants all the Gay mormons to stay. Do you want them to leave?

A1994
    Centerville, UT
    "I can't help but note the irony of "Mormons Building Bridges" out on the Sabbath day at a parade. How deeply do they believe in their religion?"

--- Actually, they are working the religion by putting up the pretense that staying in the church does not make Gays into 2nd or 3rd class citizens.

The folks who drove to California from Utah in 2008 knocked on doors and demonstrated on Sundays, as well. Same thing, just a bit less cleverly hidden from its church origins.

• intervention slc, UT
    June 8, 2014 6:41 p.m.

@A1994

They probably believe at least as much as someone that would ignore the counsel of thier prophet to not questions other faith.

@dws coug
    ?

• 21MOM Keaau, HI
    June 8, 2014 6:13 p.m.

"Christlike love is the greatest need we have on this planet in part because righteousness was always supposed to accompany it. So if love is to be our watchword, as it must be, then by the word of Him who is love personified, we must forsake transgression and any hint of advocacy for it in others. Jesus clearly understood what many in our modern culture seem to forget: that there is a crucial difference between the commandment to forgive sin (which He had an infinite capacity to do) and the warning against condoning it (which He never ever did even once)." Jeffrey R. Holland

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    June 8, 2014 6:03 p.m.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    June 8, 2014 5:45 p.m.

My 16 year old daughter and I walked with the Capitol 13 group today. We had an absolute blast both at the festival yesterday and in the parade this morning. My 13 year old could not come thus morning but plans on walking with us next time. It was wonderful. It has been an absolutely fantastic pride weekend.

• Bob K Davis, CA
    June 8, 2014 5:40 p.m.

It seems some of the tone has changed on the DN, and for the better.

This article shows more acceptance of the idea that Amendment 3 will be gone than anything we could have read here until recently.

Where I quibble is the major influence given to Mormons Building Bridges, which has yet to prove that it is not simply an unofficial tool of the church, meant to keep Gay mormons in the fold, rather than recognize that they have choices.

Quote from recent article:
    "Mormons Building Bridges seeks to 'amplify the church's message. We send people to the Mormons and Gays website, we use the talks of General Authorities from our general conferences, we use the scriptures.'"

Since only church information is given, I suggest that "Mormons Digging a Moat Around Their Gay Members" is not an unfair play on the group's name.

I also remember when the Prop 8 organization was "not a part of the church".

I am glad that the Pride celebration in Salt Lake was so joyous.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    June 8, 2014 4:53 p.m.

What, parade in SLC? Do it in San Francisco but here

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    June 8, 2014 4:03 p.m.

Congratulations Utah!!
    You've come a long way, baby!