Quantcast

Comments about ‘'Life-threatening' Governor's Mansion portico now under repair’

Return to article »

Published: Saturday, June 7 2014 3:05 p.m. MDT

Comments
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Most recommended
Kings Court
Alpine, UT

I wonder when our political leaders will pay any attention to some of schools that are also a danger in an earthquake. I guess the governor is more important than our children.

toosmartforyou
Farmington, UT

Too bad the press gave a pass on the official report of the 1993 fire, which the public has never been made aware of the facts, and didn't investigate what really happened. The respected NFPA stated at the bottom of their report that the facts were not necessarily accurate (a polite way to say they had been altered). I know that the folks at the time working for the State Fie Marshal's Office wanted to keep their jobs so they did what they felt they had to do. Maybe some day the truth will be told.

indycrimson
Franklin, IN

9 million in repairs? Really...

If you took your 1500.00 dodge to the shop and the mechanic suggested it would be 5000.00 to repair...would you do it???

You all just paid 9 million on a home that might be worth 1/2 that amount...

Sell it and let the Gov stay at his own residence

Mr. Bean
Phoenix, AZ

Why does the governor need public housing... and especially a huge mansion, anyway? Hid kids are probably all married and gone.

And he likely pays no rent either. Such a deal!

The Real Maverick
Orem, UT

Wasn't the governor just given thousands of dollars in raises?

Can't he pay for anything himself? When my house needs repairs I pay for them. Why should he be any different?

Fitz
Murray, UT

@toosmartforyou - according to inside information, the 1993 fire in the Gov's mansion was due to an extension cord that was frayed and needed to be immediately replaced. The extension cord was attached to Christmas lights. The 'first lady' (an title that is regularly misused), at that time, said there was a group coming and that there was no time to replace the cord, so use it. The poor employee did what she told him to do and the cord caught fire and spread to the Governors Mansion. The employee got canned, his boss got a letter of discipline, and DFCM took all the responsibility, though none of it belonged to them. Anyway, that is the story a high ranking person at DFCM, long since retired, told me back in 1994.

to comment

DeseretNews.com encourages a civil dialogue among its readers. We welcome your thoughtful comments.
About comments