Sports

Utah Jazz hire Quin Snyder as head coach

Comments

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    June 11, 2014 12:18 p.m.

I would have voted for Jerry Sloan.

Sure, I know he didn't throw his hat in the ring. But I would have voted for him anyway.

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    June 11, 2014 11:19 a.m.

@Prenza

I like your enthusiasm, but Tim Duncan isn't from the Dominican Republic. Duncan is a U.S. Citizen born and raised in the U.S. Virgin Islands, which are a commonwealth or territory of the U.S.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 9, 2014 5:24 p.m.

@indycrimson

adding d'antoni and Del Negro to your list...just made it horrible...Jackson and Hollins are the only decent coaches you mentioned since dunleavy never won anything...

If the Jazz would sign and Trade Hayward...they better get Nik Stauskas at the draft...because we would really need his shooting...and i think he'll be a great replacement for Hayward...if we are going on that route...i'd rather have the Jazz trade Trey Burke as well...the guy cant finish...Smart could definitely finish and so can Zach Lavine...i still feel like Trey Burke is a backup at best...kinda like Howard Eisley...

• TerryHaimes Sturgis, MS
    June 9, 2014 2:14 p.m.

I like the hire. He plays to win but the minor infractions at Missouri is a joke. It pretty much ended his career as a college coach. The trade front will get interesting now. I wouldn't be surprised to see draft picks go for players. The Hayward deal will be settled shortly. We may not know for awhile but Lindsey and Synder have already decided what they are going to do.

• Hugh G. Hater Swat Lake City, UT
    June 9, 2014 9:15 a.m.

Indycrimson is right.

• Brio Alpine, UT
    June 7, 2014 8:47 p.m.

Coach Snyder is the real deal and unquestionably the right choice. Jazz basketball future is truly bright.

• BroncoMan Salt Lake City, UT
    June 7, 2014 3:12 p.m.

Great organizations have a PLAN. Dennis Lindsey has experience and a plan that makes sense, although there will be a bit of suffering in the interim. I am willing to suffer a bit for now, I learned to delay gratification some time ago. Parts of the plan include.
    1) A total rebuild, starting with talented young players who are highly regarded draft choices
    2) Tanking a season to get a top draft pick
    3) Creating salary cap room, then taking on expiring bad contracts as a method to collect additional draft picks = assets
    4) Putting together the right coaching staff, with coaches who love to develop young players
    5) The Spurs model, team oriented players, and trying to find a few great players
    6) Making sure that everyone is in alignment, owners, coaches, players. A program with a single (Spurs) philosophy.
    I like the choice of Snyder, smart, worked with many top notch coaches, and his players love him.

• DraperUteFan Draper, UT
    June 7, 2014 11:26 a.m.

A very articulate and analytical guy. Sounds like a very different approach than our two previous coaches. It is unlikely he'll be spending half his time yelling in the referees ears and the other half yelling at the one player who is his whipping boy. He is a coach and teacher.

Comments from other players he has worked with indicate the players respond very favorably to his low key but effective approach.

I think it is the right hire at the right time. We will see a much more focused and competitive team next year. It may not translate to considerably more wins right away, but I think he will change the culture which will change the long-term prospects of the team.

Good job Jazz brass. Many of us were skeptical, but I think you got it right.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    June 7, 2014 12:33 a.m.

I am optimistic now that we can have player development, X's and O's, Pick and roll, up tempo play, defense, sensible player rotations, competent coaching etc., etc.. The last 3 1/2 years have been tough but now I can believe again. I think this is a great hire to get our team back on track and I pledge my full support of Quin Snyder as coach of our Utah Jazz.

• mercyfulf8 gilbert, AZ
    June 6, 2014 11:28 p.m.

I'm glad the Jazz decided to hire some young blood. The typical coaching carousel that seems to be the norm for the NBA has worn thin. I'm sure the protectors will preach that the Jazz should have hired George Karl or some other former NBA coach has-been. For the first time in a long time I'm excited about the Jazz future. Lets see what a modern NBA basketball mind can do. Go Jazz!

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    June 6, 2014 11:08 p.m.

From Jerry Sloan to Quin Snyder.

Amazing.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    June 6, 2014 10:32 p.m.

working with coach K speaks volumes, and even more impressive is Doug Collins who is a brilliant coach and a fine analyst had positive things to say about Snyder.

Also impressed that Greg Miller is taking a step to make things go his way rather than Larry's, the Jazz have been stuck in the past doing things the old way and now they can push forward. That doesn't mean immediate success but at least it seems they are underway.

Snyder is educated and should be able to make his ideas known and he may shed light on how the Jazz could move up in the draft. Might mean trading CJ Miles whoops I meant Hayward.

• Live-In-AZ ,
    June 6, 2014 9:52 p.m.

Great Hire!!! Renewed faith in Jazz Management. The man's got experience, IQ and GQ. Let's keep the ball rolling and make some more smart decisions in the draft and free agency. In short, give the man some talent to work with!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    June 6, 2014 9:03 p.m.

Sounds like Utah has found the right guy. It will be nice to see if he can teach the Jazz some defense. I'm not sure why, but when a team can defend their own basket, they seem to do everything else better too.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    June 6, 2014 8:36 p.m.

All you excited folks. Tell me where Snyder has been successful? Duke as coach K's asst? Uhhh...most anyone could find success there. Coming into Mizzou and leaving them a) in shambles b) on violation.

Next he has lasted one year with 3 NBA teams! Good hire? Desperation? You choose:

I liked Mark Jackson, Hollins, Dunleavy, Del Negro or even D' Antonio... They have all won or built something, somewhere...

Last place Jazz fans...Mark it down...

• scalman Temecula, CA
    June 6, 2014 8:20 p.m.

I like that he worked for Coach K, was successful at the college level and has lots of successful, professional coaching experience. Doug Collins' comment stands out, though. This guy apparently deserves a head coaching shot, and I'm glad he accepted the offer. I'm wondering if the Jazz are dangling someone in a trade offer so that they can move up in the draft...Kanter, maybe? I'm still hopeful that they sigh Hayward.

• VeraLouise Sandy, UT
    June 6, 2014 8:18 p.m.

Wow! I hope these posts will stay as positive in the future as these are today. Nice not to see so much negativity. Give this guy a chance to get his bearings, fit in, implement his style, take the time needed to succeed. I think we all want that for everybody associated with the Jazz including the fans (such as we crazy ones). Can't wait to get started. The draft day is in ink on my calendar.

Go Jazz!

• Prenza Draper, UT
    June 6, 2014 7:21 p.m.

My take is that DL will continue to construct our Team like San Antonio Spurs with International Flavor.

Look at their line up of:
    Duncan (Dominican)
    Parker (France)
    Ginobili (Argentina)
    Diaw (France)
    Leonard (USA)

Then,
    Mills and Baynes (Australia)
    Joseph (Canada)

Do you agree?

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    June 6, 2014 7:03 p.m.

"I have to give a shout out to coach Quin — this is the first year a coach really worked with me on my footwork, my shot, spent time with me." DeMarre Carroll

Incredible statement by Carroll! It just goes to show what kind of ship Corbin was running.

Best wishes to you DeMarre! You were the one guy I wished the Jazz would have kept.

• Entwine67 Salt Lake, UT
    June 6, 2014 6:54 p.m.

Great hire Jazz!... I'm starting to believe again that they really are about winning, not just trying to piece together a mediocre product just to throw out on the court. I remember coach Snyder back in his playing days. Probably known more his looks and hair than his Basketball prowess, but he was a pretty good player in his day.
    Great hire Jazz!! Now let's get that GREAT PLAYER in the draft.

• Prenza Draper, UT
    June 6, 2014 6:52 p.m.

Just look at San Antonio Spurs - Duncan (Dominican), Parker (France), Ginobili (Argentina), Diaw (France), Leonard (San Diego :) - then, Mills (Australia),Joseph (Canada), Splitter (Spain), Baynes (Australia) - so far that I can identify. And, DL know of this fact which could also be Jazz direction :)

Go Gazz !!!

• Prenza Draper, UT
    June 6, 2014 6:28 p.m.

Swett !!!

HC Quinn SNYDER - an excellent choice DL. He not only will infuse new life n blood in the Team but will also benefit on the experience and good character of Brad Jones and Alex Jensen. Now, if Ettore Mesina will come and join his Staff - that will surely help open the floodgates of Top European Players who will join the Team - great addition to Jazz Family!

• Richie Saint George, UT
    June 6, 2014 6:16 p.m.

Good move, now he can be part of the draft process. I hope Alex Jenson will fit in somewhere.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    June 6, 2014 5:53 p.m.

When I first read the bios on the list of prospective coaches, Snyder was the one who intrigued me most. I think this will be a great hire.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 6, 2014 5:37 p.m.

@MAFU

you do know...that Paul George isnt a superstar...he is just an all-star...he has too many games where in he disappears...plus the time snyder spent in Missouri...ended horribly...but im willing to give him the chance...i still think...we should have had hollins

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    June 6, 2014 5:37 p.m.

MAFU

I think you are correct. Given that 1 player is 20% of your team on the court, it is tougher to cover deficiencies or replace production of 1 player as that can only be diffused through 4 other people, instead of 8 like in baseball.

Getting a bona fide go to player is an absolute must. Hopefully that will be addressed this offseason, because no matter how good the coach is, the Jazz will never be better than a 7 or 8 seed without that person.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    June 6, 2014 5:14 p.m.

I like the hire, his resume is impressive, the comment by Damari Carrol make me think he will be good for our young group. New blood was needed and Snyder looks like a good fit.

• JinaYi87 Norman, OK
    June 6, 2014 5:08 p.m.

Is it just me or does this guy look like a movie star? So dreamy. Yet with odd similarities to David Bowie.

• MAFU Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2014 5:06 p.m.

Perfect HC to implement (be told) the GM's Moneyball approach/vision to running a team. The only problem is that this team lacks a true superstar talent. The fallacy of the statistical analysis approach in professional sports is that all you need to win are a bunch of guys that fill up the advanced metrics stat sheet. At the end of the day you still need an athletic specimen that can create his own shot off the bounce, stretch the D with the 3, and get to the cup or draw and kick to your shooters. If he can plan Defense, well, that's an added bonus and lost art in the modern day NBA. The Spurs don't win because of Spliter, Bonner, or Paddy Mills. Those type of players compliment their studs, and allow them to dominate. Don't see Quin Snyder really making a difference until the Jazz go out and find the next Paul George.

• JohnJMcDaniel Catonsville, MD
    June 6, 2014 4:30 p.m.

I like it. Of the finalists, he or Griffin would be my choice. We need somebody on the way up, not a retread (as much as I would be curious to see George Karl or Lionel Hollins).

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 6, 2014 4:26 p.m.

Quinn Snyder is good for about 3 additional wins a year. Does that put the Jazz in the NBA finals?

• Idahotransplant West Jordan, UT
    June 6, 2014 4:17 p.m.

lets not jump until the Jazz themselves officially announce the hire.

• RSLJAZZBYUUTAH West Valley, UT
    June 6, 2014 4:16 p.m.

I think it is a good hire, but I am sure in 3 years, if he hasn't turned the team around, will be all calling for his head.

• jzzlvr Salt Lake City, UT
    June 6, 2014 4:14 p.m.

Good hire!

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    June 6, 2014 4:07 p.m.

Snyder is in!

Should be interesting!

Glad Jones is still in the mix as well as all I have ever heard about him were positive things.