Sports

Jim Boylen no longer candidate for Jazz coach position; four coaches in mix

Comments

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    June 5, 2014 6:31 p.m.

still wondering why lionel hollins isnt considered....took memphis to the playoffs twice with 50 something wins...established a good system...great D...and a grind out offense...

• portlander Arlington, WA
    June 5, 2014 6:10 p.m.

Oh...And the mystery candidate is either Shaun Bradley or Mark Eaton...or both!

• portlander Arlington, WA
    June 5, 2014 6:07 p.m.

I don't think it will be Dantley, nor Brad Jones. Also don't think Ivaroni, Malone or Stockton will be the coach either. And none of the bigger names would deign the notion of living in SLC. I would not mind seeing D'Antoni, MacMillan or Hollins come to town. And maybe Messina could be a pretty good fit also. However, more than likely, it'll be a "has-been", a "no-name" or anther loser.

• BYU/USU/JAZZ Wellsville, UT
    June 5, 2014 2:07 p.m.

If they can talk Sloan into coming back, the job is his.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 5, 2014 1:17 p.m.

"The Jazz don't just hire a coach; they marry a coach." That is a great quote. As a long time Jazz fan, I have been spoiled by our coaching history. After the short stint with Tom Nissalke, the Jazz had a total of two coaches over the next 30 years.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 5, 2014 1:05 p.m.

My hope for the mystery applicant - Luther Wright!

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    June 5, 2014 1:03 p.m.

There is always those few on these boards foretelling the demise of the Utah Jazz. Pretty sad really. If those same guys would have been spreading their negativity a couple hundred plus years ago we would just be a Brirish colony now instead of the greatest country in the world. The Jazz will rise again, but give them a few years huh.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    June 5, 2014 1:00 p.m.

Thank you Jazz! I would have denounced the Jazz if that had happened!

• zabivka Orem, UT
    June 5, 2014 12:37 p.m.

I am hoping that the "Mystery Candidate" is George Karl, who has a winning record and has taken a team to the finals. There is a small part of me that believes it could be Stockton, however, since he is a secretive type, and it might be his wishes to remain anonymous in the event that a different candidate was chosen, so as not to "advertise himself" as one seeking to enter the coaching arena in other markets.

• enigomo Layton, UT
    June 5, 2014 12:08 p.m.

@ Wasatch Al,

That is genius!! Just think of the millions of LDS folk who would no longer be disappointed with the Jazz!!!

• eagle Provo, UT
    June 5, 2014 11:13 a.m.

Instead of going for ex-player who likely won't have the chops to step into a position without any real playing experience, why don't we pony up and go get a Jeff Van Gundy or even a Larry Brown who we all know can actually coach. Just sayin'...

But I agree generally with the one poster above. This all a painful death of a once-proud franchise. The next coach is most likely a Captain Smith leading the Utah Jazz Titanic. But if we must, let's go for a proven product.

• Staythecourse Ogden, UT
    June 5, 2014 10:40 a.m.

Huh, interesting I noticed how Jim Boylen made it to the Big Dance in 2009. At least he made it there with the Utes once.

I don't see the current head coach Krstowiak making it to the big dance ever, the Utes should be begging for their old coach back.

The way i see it the Utes will always be mediocre. Always have, always will. Doesn't matter what out of this world conference they belong to. They are who they are. MEDIOCRE.

And Lindsey should cowboy up and hire Boylen, he is the best candidate.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    June 5, 2014 10:25 a.m.

The secret candidate: Roger Reid.

• oddman ,
    June 5, 2014 9:56 a.m.

Larry Brown! It'sgotta be Larry or, maybe Doug Moe.

• dave22 SOUTH SALT LAKE, UT
    June 5, 2014 9:20 a.m.

As long as Jazz management continues to take input from Randy Rigby, they will make the right choice.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    June 4, 2014 10:27 p.m.

Good.

• ed Los Olivos, CA
    June 4, 2014 9:31 p.m.

This process is starting to look like American Idol. I wonder who will get voted out, next Wednesday.

• Dustin Idaho Falls, ID
    June 4, 2014 9:14 p.m.

I became disillusioned with Dantly after he got destroyed by Sloan in the playoffs when he worked for Denver. Malone does not strike me as a good head coach. He had the work ethic and physical capabilities to be one of the best players ever, but I don't think he has the patience to manage a team. I am down with the idea of Griffin or Messina. I really really really don't want Gentry. We might as well rehire Corbin if we want to keep losing.

• Brucemax Provo, UT
    June 4, 2014 8:55 p.m.

I can't stand all this speculating on who the mystery man is...... come on now, it's obviously gonna be Jimmer

• Live-In-AZ ,
    June 4, 2014 8:39 p.m.

Why not. The mystery man is Adrian Dantley.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    June 4, 2014 8:34 p.m.

I have not heard Jim Boylen's name mentioned in any of the open coaching positions except Utah's. It will be interesting to see if anyone decides to give him another chance at being a head coach. Meanwhile, it would seem Dennis should be making a decision sometime soon. Is the secret candidate coming in for his first interview or have the spirited him into town before?

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    June 4, 2014 8:19 p.m.

Regardless of coaching ability on Boylen's part, this shows that Dennis Lindsey knows a public relations disaster when he sees.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    June 4, 2014 8:17 p.m.

Now I, too, can breath a sigh of relief.

• camby SPANISH FORK, UT
    June 4, 2014 6:58 p.m.

Messina or Blatt?

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    June 4, 2014 6:48 p.m.

There is a rumor that there is definitely something going on - that John very rarely goes to his Dad's bar, but lately has been seen there several times talking to his Dad. Could it be him?

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    June 4, 2014 6:47 p.m.

Who cares, this is such a slow and painful death of a once highly regarding franchise.

• Jazz Source Alpine, UT
    June 4, 2014 5:58 p.m.

Amen. Boylen is out.

Gentry better be close behind him. We don't need a proven NBA loser.

Who said Karl Malone? Fisher? Are you deluded?

The mystery candidate is.....Brad Jones.

• no comment New Orleans, LA
    June 4, 2014 5:10 p.m.

And there was much rejoicing...

• Maverick West Jordan, UT
    June 4, 2014 4:41 p.m.

Let's hope it's the mystery candidate...unless it's Boylen.

• Bearone Monroe, UT
    June 4, 2014 4:35 p.m.

OK, I'll bite! It is either Sloan, Stockton, Malone,----or "Bear"! I would be happy with any of them!

• Kaladin Greeley, CO
    June 4, 2014 4:24 p.m.

I hope the secret candidate is someone more exciting.... John? Karl(George or Malone)? CSKA Moscow? Sir Charles? Shaq? Ostertag? Me?

• Live-In-AZ ,
    June 4, 2014 4:16 p.m.

Bet the mystery man is Marc Ivaroni.

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    June 4, 2014 4:15 p.m.

Sorry to here that Coach Boylen is no longer in the mix. My curiosity is up though regarding this unknown applicant. Who could they be? Possibly Fisher, or maybe Underwood, or maybe Stockton changed his mind!!

• Live-In-AZ ,
    June 4, 2014 4:08 p.m.

What a relief. Now if Jazz management would exclude Gentry, I could get some sleep at night.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    June 4, 2014 4:00 p.m.

Michigan State isn't in the NBA.