Faith

Vietnam gives local LDS leaders official recognition, legal status

Comments

• antodav TAMPA, FL
    June 13, 2014 8:25 p.m.

Vietnam is still a communist country and has a long way to go before it can have anything even approximating what we would refer to as “religious freedom” (there’s no reason why any free country should have a “Department of Religious Affairs”, but this is indeed a remarkable step forward, both for the Church and for the country. I am honestly quite surprised it has gotten even this far. The doors to China may be opening too in the not too distant future.

• JT4 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 3, 2014 6:46 p.m.

Philippine Bonita,
    You are right. As a former expatriate myself working in Asia, I will back you up on that. Unfortunately, "expatriate" is a word that is rarely used in the United States, so it makes a great deal of sense that people think it must be "ex-patriot" when they hear it for the first time on a trip overseas.

• Philippine Bonita Sammamish, WA
    June 2, 2014 4:22 p.m.

Great news for the church in Vietnam.
    ECR, I think the word you want to use is "expatriate" or "ex-pat" for short. Ex-pats are by and large VERY much still patriots! :). Common mistake.

• Alex 1 Tucson, AZ
    June 2, 2014 1:09 p.m.

I have a son who will be serving the Lord on a mission in 2.5 years. I wouldn't mind it one bit if he were sent to Vietnam.

• kandace.c West Jordan, UT
    June 1, 2014 4:20 p.m.

Elder Tran is one of my best friends! I saw this link pop up on my Facebook at work and immediately started crying. Knowing that he can go to Vietnam and bring others closer to Christ is an incredible feeling. I am so excited for the missionaries serving there! :)

• Larry Lawton Wan Chai, Hong Kong
    June 1, 2014 10:53 a.m.

I was pleased to serve with David Berrett, Asia Area Counsel in Hong Kong a couple of years ago. I know he and others worked tirelessly to bring about changes in the hearts of the leaders of Vietnam. This is a great step forward, and the result of years of effort.

• Kellie Wood Orem, UT
    June 1, 2014 8:37 a.m.

This is so fantastic for our family to help us retrieve our family history there. I married into a Vietnamese family. They came from Saigon just before it fell. Most of them joined the LDS church in the States but only one is active, my daughter. I hope to see her serve a mission in Vietnam next year when she turns 19.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    June 1, 2014 8:08 a.m.

My husband and I visited Vietnam a few years ago. We left LDS materials (in Vietnamese) with our tour guide. He was very touched that we would get materials in his own language to give him. I hope those materials have made a difference in his life and others. After all, I have heard numerous stories about how a single Book of Mormon has eventually lead to many conversions.

I'm so happy to hear of the progress that the Church is making in Vietnam. There is really no animosity toward Americans there any more. About 70% of the country is under the age of 30 and has no memory of the war. We had a wonderful experience there.

• Clifton Palmer McLendon Gilmer, TX
    May 31, 2014 8:55 p.m.

I am always glad to see another country welcome the Church.

Now I look forward to the day we can have full Church activity in Vietnam (the same as we have in the United States and Canada and several other nations).

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    May 31, 2014 11:35 a.m.

Miracles never seem to cease. What a great blessing to that family and to the Church worldwide.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2014 9:05 a.m.

I give thanks to God and to the tireless efforts of all the Vietnamese saints. May the pure in heart in Vietnam find their way to the church.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 31, 2014 8:43 a.m.

This is an answer to lots of prayers!

• Goldminer Salem, ut
    May 31, 2014 8:37 a.m.

Amazing. I figured that the time would come when there would be Vietnamese units recognized. We had a few Vietnamese in our Branch that were baptized when I was in there in 1971-72!

• Here Sandy, UT
    May 31, 2014 8:27 a.m.

I have wondered from time to time that with the standards and doctrines of the church being constant and universal across time and across the world, we, as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints may have more in common with our foreign brothers and sisters than our neighbors next door. We may share more concerns, goals, morals, and blessings in common with those of vastly different cultures than with those of our own. Just a thought. Not gospel. Just my own ideas.

• Here Sandy, UT
    May 31, 2014 8:20 a.m.

Although I did not participate in the Vietnamese War, I remember it from my childhood. The animosity was palpable. I am surprised by the depth of emotion I feel at this announcement. It is a feeling of love and gratitude to our Heavenly Father. The work of the Lord is moving forward in a miraculous way indeed.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    May 31, 2014 7:53 a.m.

I believe that it would be important to state just what are the "religious activity laws" stipulated in the agreement. Vietnam is still officially an atheistic country.

• ECR Burke, VA
    May 31, 2014 7:19 a.m.

When we visited my sister-in-law and her family in 2005 in HCMC, the ex-patriots had to meet separately from the native Vietnamese for their Sunday meetings. Then within a couple of years the natives and the ex-patriots were allowed to meet together, but it was still necessary to go to Cambodia if you wanted to be baptized. Now this change in direction happens. What wonderful news for everyone involved and it appears this pattern will continue until a mission finally opens there. The Lord's work continues on.

• billmosby Salt Lake City, UT
    May 31, 2014 7:10 a.m.

My wife and I visited Vietnam in Nov and Dec of last year. It's a delightful country. Although its population is about 90 million now and so the cities are very crowded, I have never seen such calm, peaceful, cooperative drivers and motorbike riders anywhere. Those who frequent I-15 in our fair city could do with a healthy dose of the "it's ok, life is good" attitude displayed by the Vietnamese in those circumstances. They do use their horns liberally, but in an informative rather than combative way. If you want to cross the street, just go ahead and wade calmly out into the flow, it flows around you. Hard to believe but I have a lot of video evidence of it.

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    May 31, 2014 6:25 a.m.

What a wonderful news! When refugees were coming here after the war, we sponsored a family of 10. Terrific family, hardworking, generous people. They were taught by missionaries in the Salt Lake area and my husband had the privilege of baptizing them. I have had a great love for the Vietnamese people from that experience.

• Johnny Moser Thayne, WY
    May 31, 2014 6:16 a.m.

Two Stakes in Cambodia in the past few weeks, Vietnam won't be too far behind. PRC is still "normalizing relations" but I know that changes are happening there that are making it easier for the gospel to grow too. Slow but steady; by their fruits ye shall know them.

• teejcee44 Gilbert, AZ
    May 30, 2014 9:10 p.m.

This is GREAT news!

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    May 30, 2014 5:12 p.m.

We found out about this a week ago when our daughter and son-in-law face timed us and told us about it. Our son in law is Thanh Nguyen the Branch President in one of the Ho Chi Minh Branches. This is such great news for them and now you will see the Church grow rapidly there. They had just split that Branch less than a year ago and have many investigators show up every week.

• Grandma 20 Allen, TX
    May 30, 2014 4:43 p.m.

The fulfillment of Daniel's prophecy about the stone cut out of the mountain without hands continues to roll forth to fill the whole earth. Great news!!!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    May 30, 2014 4:28 p.m.

Wonderful news!

• higv Dietrich, ID
    May 30, 2014 4:28 p.m.

I taught and baptized a Vietnames person in Florida, In a few years the gospel will go to all the countries. President Kimball asked to pray that the nations will be opened and was answered and President Monson recently as well.

• amigo sandy, UT
    May 30, 2014 2:01 p.m.

I'm not even LDS, but this is fantastic news. Religious freedom in Vietnam, while so many in the states continue to try and squash it.

• PhilRM Anchorage, AK
    May 30, 2014 1:59 p.m.

I am so very thankful to see this kind of dialogue between our two nations versus the dialogue that existed in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. We are all brothers and sisters. Let's turn our spears into plowshares and our swords into pruning hooks.

• Shuzzie53 HAYWARD, CA
    May 30, 2014 1:49 p.m.

Vietnam Hanoi Mission here we come!