Utah

Utah alcohol commission tightening permit rules for community events like Oktoberfest

Comments

• LiberalJimmy Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2014 12:50 a.m.

@PLM...Fantastic idea. Have a German Science Fest and "let the root beer flow at your next BBQ. Meanwhile since I am a legal adult I believe that I have the right to enjoy a beer at Oktoberfest while alcohol is still legal in this State. Let me guess...This wouldn't be considered a government overreach in your mind but commonsense gun control is.

• LiberalJimmy Salt Lake City, UT
    June 2, 2014 12:42 a.m.

@Brawtman...Incorrect about New York and Pennsylvania liquor laws even though it has nothing to do with Utah's archaic liquor laws. I'm a New York transplant and have family directly outside Philadelphia. Yes. Pennsylvania is a controlled State but not even a close comparison to Utah. In closing, you obviously have never spent a Summer in The Hamptons or Lake George if you believe for one second New York State's liquor laws are not consumer friendly. Most definitely you will not find a watered down beer in either of these States or the entire East Coast for that matter.

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    May 28, 2014 4:30 p.m.

I love when people cry about the Federal government over-stepping their bounds (at least when it's a Democratic president) but are oblivious to the state government doing the same thing. This is nothing more than a small group of "morality police" trying to force their beliefs and lifestyle on everyone. They have no problem with Snowbird's excessive expansion slowly ruining the beautiful land, but God forbid we have alcohol!

• PLM Kaysville, UT
    May 28, 2014 3:39 p.m.

We hold a rootin, tootin' Octoberfest every year without a drop of alcohol. There are many alternatives for celebrating the genius contributions of Germans. Have a musicfest celebrating German composers, or a story and artfest feting the Brothers Grimm and the rich German literary and artistic heritage. Or a sciencefest to celebrate the achievements of the brilliant German scientists. You can grill brats, serve pretzels and mustard, apple desserts and let the root beer flow (hey this is America after all.) I am sure King Ludwig would not object, he was an enthusiastic patron of the arts.

• netsrik Draper, UT
    May 28, 2014 3:06 p.m.

@Brawtman:
    But we're not talking about Pennsylvainia or New York. Just because other places have stupid laws too doesn't mean we shouldn't fight stupid laws here in Utah.

I'm not much of a drinker, but this is ridiculous!

• lynn Roosevelt, UT
    May 28, 2014 2:30 p.m.

So what is the objective?? I just saw the Heber State liquer blg. & was stunned at it's beauty. Is the state wanting more $ for an already lucruative business??

• nonceleb Salt Lake City, UT
    May 28, 2014 1:24 p.m.

No beer at the 4-decade-old Oktoberfest? That is like no wine at Trader Joe's, which is the main reason it was originally established. Oh, wait a minute, that is already the case in Utah.

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 28, 2014 12:56 p.m.

Is there an actual problem they are trying to solve with this?

• lket Bluffdale, UT
    May 28, 2014 12:28 p.m.

point is most dont drink. most dont go to october fest. people who go to october fest are having fun and being active burning the beer in their systems up quit fast. it is a good natured event. i go with my wife and 2 kids and have never gotton drunk even after 5 beers spread about 8 hours of playing.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 28, 2014 12:25 p.m.

This will bless everyone because we need more governmental regulation.

• Brawtman North Pole, AK
    May 28, 2014 12:16 p.m.

Seems like most of you commenting have never been in states with more strict alcohol laws. Try buying liquor in Pennsylvania or New York. Most of the East Coast states have more strict laws on alcohol and private venues then Utah. You should feel good that Utah hasn't passed some of the ridiculous PA laws.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 28, 2014 12:10 p.m.

I would love to hear the justification for this. I would bet a serious amount of money that's hilariously misguided.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    May 28, 2014 11:35 a.m.

I was bored enough to read this article... sounds like the Commission is more bored than me!

Really? Again, I thought this was Utah were the GOP believes in the "hands-off" theory of government?

• Bt3262 West Jordan, UT
    May 28, 2014 11:35 a.m.

I understand that the DABC is trying to "follow the rules", but the bigger issue is that Utah's liquor laws are out of the 1890's and the rest of the country laughs at us. This is the kind of article that a late night host could build into their monologue.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    May 28, 2014 10:46 a.m.

@4601

Sounds to me it's a case of again trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. What problems have arisen, accidents the result of, the previous six festivals? That's what I thought.

I agree with previous commenter that if you really want to improve highway safety then ban cell phones.

• RSLfanalways Why, AZ
    May 28, 2014 8:25 a.m.

People die because of DUI's. People die because of speeding. People die because of distracted driving. If your against events serving alcohol then you should also be against people having cell phones or a car.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 28, 2014 6:53 a.m.

I've got a solution, let's legalize Marijuana use in Utah. Then these people won't be drunk when they drive home.

• SAS Sandy, UT
    May 27, 2014 5:25 p.m.

@4601: So presumably you're in favor of strict gun controls, or even an outright ban?

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2014 5:09 p.m.

Just what we need to decrease the number of people driving home from community events while under the influence. If stifling the local economy is based on public safety it is a great idea.

• BJMoose Syracuse, UT
    May 27, 2014 4:16 p.m.

Just what we don't need.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    May 27, 2014 3:52 p.m.

Great idea. People just love it when government imposes new and arbitrary regulations to impose on businesses and stifle the local economy.