Duane Busby carried a lot of influence in BYU's football program

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 1, 2014 1:47 p.m.

... On this we can agree, but since none of us is without sin, it is a little unrealistic to expect that there would not be problems, and that some of them may even rise to the level on needing to be investigated.

... We might both want to wait. Ironically, that was the point.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    June 1, 2014 1:43 p.m.

Omaha, NE
    Y Dad/Y Grad:

I'm still not convinced that you understood let alone read my posts.

... Well, I've answered your comments. Read, yes. Understood? Maybe not.

... I am trying to tell you that jumping to conclusions and calling for broad and punitive actions before the facts are known is sad.

... If I wanted to be equally unfair in my assessment, I could say that this is what a U fan does best - using any excuse to denigrate the program at the Y, while cloaking his not so subtle agenda in concern for the Church. But that wouldn't be very fair, would it?

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    May 28, 2014 3:06 p.m.

Y Dad/Y Grad:

I'm still not convinced that you understood let alone read my posts. So, what you are trying to tell me is that I'm wrong in my assertion that this is sad regardless of what comes out after the investigation? That is a Y fan doing what a Y fan does best, changing the subject, not addressing the issue and ultimately finding fault in someone else. What is disheartening is that this had to even come up at a school that represents the LDS faith. We don't know the extent to the issues they will discover so you might want to wait before you infer that the U's problems were worse.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 28, 2014 7:42 a.m.

Omaha, NE

Is it representative of the church, let alone the gospel of Jesus Christ to condemn an entire program, and it's participants, because of the supposed actions of one, or even a few?

Were you so passionate about disbanding an athletic program at the U that suffered much more potentially damaging allegations?

Would it not be better to wait until all the facts come to light before casting stones?

Or perhaps even to choose not to cast stones all?

The fact that you are looking for hypocrisy is disturbing. The fact that you cannot see where it truly lies is most disturbing of all.

Remember your New Testament story about the adulteress and the Pharisees? Adultery is a very serious sin, but it came out rather worse for the Pharisees.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 27, 2014 4:12 p.m.

@ Old Ricks Coach

The innocent typically don't run and hide

• Old Ricks Coach Rexburg, ID
    May 27, 2014 2:59 p.m.

Too many are already acting as prosecutor, judge and jury. Typical in our society. I have known Duane since the Madison High School and Ricks College days and on into his time at BYU. Some of you are really clueless. I stand behind him and I do know how to get ahold of him. I will be expressing my sentiments to him personally rather than speculating. Duane Busby is most likely a better man than anyone posting here, including myself.

May 27, 2014 1:31 p.m.

I am not for or against BYU. But I do have a son that is a division one athlete at one of the biggest sports Universities in the nation. I know the meetings we went through his freshman year and from the compliance forms we had to sign that there are no questions on what is allowed and what is not allowed. The meetings lasted two days and you know for a fact what you can and can't do. They track every movement by those players financially, academically, and socially. To make it sound like the director of Football operations did not know this was wrong is not believable. If he didn't know then he did not attend the same meetings we were required to attend.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 27, 2014 9:28 a.m.

You really think this was okay just because you think the NCAA rules are ridiculous? How sad. Based on statements made in General Conference talks and many other public settings I know LDS Church leaders will disagree with that. The 12th and 13th Articles of Faith written by Joseph Smith and canonized as LDS scripture teach clearly that breaking the rules isn't acceptable. If you don't like the rule, work to change it, but abide by it in the mean time.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    May 27, 2014 8:27 a.m.

Y Dad/Y Grad:

Amend what? Enlighten me please as I am not certain as to what you mean. I only point out the hypocrisy that is so prevelant in and at BYU. Shouldn't you, other fans, BYU players and staff represent the Church?

What say you?

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 25, 2014 3:14 p.m.

I chuckle at people insinuating that because this guy was liked by many and because byu fans believe he would've been only motivated w/pure intentions, should these allegations prove true, then the ncaa shouldn't enact sanctions or, at most, should be as soft on byu as their annual schedule is soft....Please....None of this line of thinking is even remotely relevant....Equally irrelevant is whether or not these rules ought to really be rules, in the first place, as well as whether or not this sort of thing "permeates every program" or not.

Wake-up people....From the ncaa's viewpoint, the only relevant fact regarding byu is--Were rules broken or weren't they? It's literally this black-and-white.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    May 24, 2014 11:56 a.m.

It is still too early to make up my mind but Busby's situation isn't as cut and dry as the BYU critics would have you believe.
    In time more information will come out but some of the critic's glee speaks volumes. I think the BYU critics may end up disappointed.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 24, 2014 11:25 a.m.

So if Busby is the crux of the investigation has ANYONE contacted him? Has he really disappeared? Certainly, some investigative reporting could come up with at least someone who has contact with him....?

I get a kick out of all these "holier than thou" accusations coming from the haters who exhibit precisely that attitude. Mob mentality, casting stones and you don't even know the facts? Really?

A lot of "judge and jury" on these comment boards when absolutely no facts have been presented yet.

• haunyocker Springville, UT
    May 24, 2014 10:46 a.m.

There are Duane Busby's in every college sports program in America, including Utah and Utah State. I've read a ton of intentional malevolently accusations, all of which are nebulous at best. I'll wait for the report to see just what the hanging offenses he is alleged to have committed are.

I have no clue what Busby may or may not have done but I know that the "intent to help," under NCAA rules can construed to mean anything depending on who wants to hurt which program.

When Jamal Williams came to BYU at 17, Coach Mendenhall took him into his home because of his age, housed him, fed him and cared for his needs. If I were Jamal's mother I would be more than pleased. After 18 Jamal went out on his own and committed a couple of typical stupid teenaged stunts, I understand that. But do Mendenhall's contributions to Jamal's well being make him guilty of violating NCAA rules? Under the comments in this thread the answer would be yes.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    May 24, 2014 8:25 a.m.

Well said DANTE!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    May 24, 2014 12:08 a.m.

Omaha, NE

"This matter is disgusting, true or not."

Wookie, you just said it all. Whether it turns out to be true or not, or likely some degree of both, people who are willing to jump into the muck and the mire, and sling it around, are truly disgusting.

You do not know what he did, you do not know who knew, you do not know how long it has been going on, you do not know who was involved.

This is not PR spin by the university, it is not someone trying to cover for their own. It IS a voice of reason trying to find some balance in the vacuum of facts that currently passes for common knowledge. If it turns out as bad as you hope, the consequences will be, I am sure, satisfying even to you.

If, however, it turns out to be something along the lines as described in this article, and a good man has been totally destroyed for sport, where will he go for justice?

And how will you ever amend for what you have done?

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    May 23, 2014 11:55 p.m.

"I don't think Christ would break any rules no matter how small."

Pick up a Bible and read the New Testiment. You'll read about the Pharasees (NCAA) complaining all the time about how the Savior broke their rules about healing on the Sabbath, eating on the Sabbath, etc. etc.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 23, 2014 10:28 p.m.

I am with you Osgrath.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 23, 2014 10:24 p.m.

This is a big story and many of us are following it. Thus, updates come like unwanted browser variations. The chatter and attention will be ongoing. Rather or not the real story comes out and we accept it for what it is might be something different than common perception. On one hand we have those who are fixed on a fall from grace at BYU. For them the attack is in full force. On the other hand we have the faithful defenders see BYU football as 'God's Army', meaning condemnation never applies to the program. If these two factions can recognize a balanced perspective, then I submit we will all be healthier mentally.

Nevertheless, the Duane Busby connection seems so strange. We are going to have sources of all types filling in the unfortunate but necessary vultures and sharks of the media, many who smell blood. Truth will come out in a cocktail of embellishment, sensationalism and perhaps even justice. The latter is complicated considering NCAA rules (which are a disgusting puzzle) vs. justice (if there is any relative to fair and equal punishment).

Some schools can sin freely while others pay for mistakes. It's the NCAA way.

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2014 9:59 p.m.

Great article Jeff!. Sounds like Duane Busby is the kind of guy we need more of in the world. He sounds like a true Christian and the kind of guy that does a lot of good to help others out. He may have run-a-fowl of some of the ridiculous NCAA rules in some fashion, but I'm guessing in most cases the end justified the means. If BYU scape goats Mr. Busby - shame on them! Funny how so many BYU fans are so concerned about appearances rather than concerned about having your heart in the right place as it appears that Mr. Busby did. Give me substance every time over appearances that mean little. Keep up the good work Jeff!

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    May 23, 2014 5:00 p.m.

You're right about that. They do have to do it or face stiffer penalties, but I would hope that they would anyway. I was speaking more about the spin on this article and by many of the folks posting on here. Realized I should have made that more clear after I posted.

• Uncle festis Pasadena, CA
    May 23, 2014 4:54 p.m.

Byu was the victim. We cheat less than everyone else. And when we do it's for good reasons

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 23, 2014 4:22 p.m.

"Just own it, one way or the other. It's called integrity."

How are they not doing this? They self reported the violation and busby is no longer working for the University. Seems like they have done what is needed to be done. I see no lack of integrity in this situation on the cougars part.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    May 23, 2014 3:55 p.m.

Amid all the furor, let's notice that BYU is investigating this matter in advance of any NCAA checking - in fact, self-reported. There is very strong precedent of relatively harsh consequences, as well: they suspended Brandon Davies during a sweet sixteen run, and Harvey Unga for his entire senior season, both for causes that are perfectly legal but against the honor code.

Let's assume that Busby gave away I-Pads and car stereos and let people stay in his house for free or at reduced rent. That violates NCAA regulations (read my previous comment on that) but it is in no way illegal. Those of us who want to speculate on where there is going, and who else was involved, are predicting the future, which is as hazardous as predicting outcomes of football games in advance. I prefer not to set myself up like that.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    May 23, 2014 3:49 p.m.

First and foremost, the NCAA rules are ridiculous, unenforceable, and the chief reason that the Big 5 conferences want to go their own way. The Olympics scuttled the 19th century ideal of amateurism (fostered by British gentlemen who had no need of making money by their efforts because of the silver spoon they were born with) decades ago. Instead, we have kids, many from deprived backgrounds, trying to live on the pittance they get right now: meanwhile the NCAA runs a multi-million dollar business. I don't want to sound Marxist here, but this is a glaring example of those in power subjugating and exploiting the workers. Don't answer with - "well, their getting school paid for" - because your average academic scholarship holder is not restricted from accepting favors and outside financial benefits.

There have to rules in place, or chaos will ensue. But the rules need to be logical and workable in the real world. The players generate revenue for the universities. They deserve a cut.

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 23, 2014 3:31 p.m.

So now whatever James Lark says goes? He is the one who decides who is the face of BYU? a 4 year backup quarterback? Good effort but that is not what the article is talking about. The article is telling us about the career of a relatively unknown Football assistant. What he did "FOR" the college. Providing improper benefits was wrong. he lost his job for that. Do we brand him as an evil human? probably not and this article tells us what kind of guy he was and what he did at BYU. he made a mistake and paid the consequences. I guarantee that others on the staff given the same choices would not have given improper benefits, thus he is not the face of the cougars. I think you should have read it a little more in depth my friend.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    May 23, 2014 3:09 p.m.

Just own it, one way or the other. It's called integrity.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    May 23, 2014 3:09 p.m.

@John in SLC

You wrote:

"It is nigh unto treason,
    To do the wrong deed,
    For the right reason."

I disagree. However, if you are going to break the rules for the right reasons, you'd better make darn sure you're prepared for and willing to live with the consequences. For example, Edward Snowden had to make a decision that he was willing to live in exile or face prison for exposing the extent of the domestic spying the U.S. Government subjects its citizens to. I don't believe his actions were treasonous, at least not in the moral sense (though some may disagree with me), but the consequences are real regardless.

This is particularly true when your institution demands that its students live by a pretty restrictive Honor Code, when that institution's parent church sends out missionaries under some equally ridiculous rules, and when your institution and church tout themselves as a beacon of honor and strict obedience. "Obedience with exactness" doesn't ring very true when it comes out that you are ok with fudging a little bit and then you want to start making excuses that it was for a good cause.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 23, 2014 2:49 p.m.

"I love how you think that one person represents all of BYU."

Well that was sort of implied in the article. Or didn't you read it?

"He was the quiet hero of BYU football...I thought Duane would be a lifer there forever. He was BYU football to me." -- former QB James Lark

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 23, 2014 2:34 p.m.

"I remember when Tark Arslanian, then head basketball coach at UNLV..."

I think you meant "Jerry Tarkanian". The only "Arslanian" coach that I know of was "Dave", but he was a Football coach, and an "Aggie (USU)"; not a "Rebel".

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2014 1:34 p.m.

I hope this thing turns out to be as big as some of the commentators suggest it is. If BYU is sanctioned, nary a Cougar fan anywhere should even attempt to spin it. Rules are rules, even if you don't like them.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 23, 2014 1:10 p.m.

From the article:

"All of the help he gave guys, he tried as much as he could to keep it secret. Not for the wrong reasons, but for the right reasons.”

And therein lies the rub. With apologies to T.S. Eliot:

It is nigh unto treason,
    To do the wrong deed,
    For the right reason."

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    May 23, 2014 1:04 p.m.

This matter is disgusting, true or not. The national attention that BYU has received for this matter alone is truly saddening. I spent 5 minutes on the national media boards and the amount of negativity that this story has brought upon BYU and directly the LDS faith is heartwrenching. One comment was Rise and Shout your secret is out. Another, Spirit, Tradition, Investigation, Honor. This is not the missionary tool people make it out to be. This is sad news. I hope that the brethern of the Church do something and come down hard on BYU football. There is been a blindeye to BYU football for years. Sports are for entertainment, not to be taken so seriously that things like this wipe out so many positive aspects to a good school representing a great faith.

Go UTES!

• bluered Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2014 12:17 p.m.

Doesn't matter if he 'was doing it for the right reasons'. The fact is he and everyone around him knew it was against the rules to do it. That is the bottom line. When the NCAA says that what he did is no longer a violation, then this can be a non-issue. What he should have done was take all these 'issues' players were having and taken it to the school instead of trying to do it all on his own. By the way, where was he getting the funds to support all of this? Surely couldn't have come from his own pocket.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    May 23, 2014 11:56 a.m.

As one who normally "sticks up" for BYU I have to vote with the crimson crowd on this one.

There is NO WAY Busby would extend the same benefits to the general student body. If he invited 30,000 students for a sleep over and 500 of them showed up, he would at least have an argument. It is the "special" treatment accorded to players that BYU athletics must worry about.

Anyone who would assume that someone so highly placed in the program would not know he was in violation of NCAA rules cannot be playing with a full deck. It's best that he was terminated for whatever pretext. It is an easy money bet that Holmoe wishes this had surfaced at the time of the first infraction many years ago.

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 23, 2014 11:52 a.m.

I love how you think that one person represents all of BYU. He was wrong and BYU with suffer any consequences that are imposed from this. You glance over every positive thing the Y does and when a negative thing pops up (like it does in every institution I recall your tennis coach was fired a couple years back for repeated violations) You haters pounce on it like its some sort of penn statesque violation. BYU did what they were supposed to and self reported to the NCAA and let duane busby go.

Also I don't think your comments on this article are going to effect the writers to do more articles on the aggies. your efforts are in vain

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 23, 2014 11:16 a.m.

BYU and the DNews are really feeding the cries of hypocrite, hypocrite from their detractors. You can't hold your program up as an example to the world of college sports in off the field behavior and then try to excuse violations of the rules. That is text book hypocrisy.

• TrueBlue=AggieBlue Logan, UT
    May 23, 2014 10:51 a.m.

I'm reading this article in a BYU-worshipping newspaper because I'd be lying if I didn't feel a tiny bit of schadenfreude about this whole situation, plus I was curious about how badly they spun the story. Seriously, anyone with half a mind can tell how ridiculously biased this is, and anyone who denies it is kidding themselves. As far as your conclusion that there are no articles about Utah State, you're absolutely right, and it's frustrating. That's why I'm here trying to change that. Although I wonder if the reason that there are no articles about USU is because 1, we actually play by the rules, and 2, even if we did break them, it wouldn't be as big a deal because we don't sound a trump before us and self-righteously parade ourselves around as beacons of truth, righteousness, and honor. If BYU's going to talk the talk about "Spirit, Tradition, and Honor," they'd better be prepared to walk the walk. That has obviously not happened, no matter how good of a guy Duane is or how honorable his intentions can be made to appear.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    May 23, 2014 10:49 a.m.

I remember the BYU fans chastising Majerus for taking Van Horn to get a crown burger after the death of a family member. Stating that the rules are the rules. Well, BYU fans, what say you? What about your program that has never been sanctioned by the NCAA? How ironic now that the tables are turning. I am disappointed in BYU football. First they change the honor code violation to "violaton of team rules". Was this done in order to account for all of the non-lds athletes the program is bringing in with different standards? How much disgrace does the school need to bring upon itself in order to compete and is it worth it? If you are a missionary tool, then you need to have the standards that are set to be an example. Duckhunter, I think you are seeing hypocrisy in its truest form here.

Go UTES!

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    May 23, 2014 10:39 a.m.

Lately I have been observing of what was on paper when it hit at BYU. We don't know what under the microscope on this University and Busby. You know, I think all Universtiies should required to have everyone "Student Athletes, Students in general and All Staffs" to take a course "NCAA Rule Book or Bible 101" and if you pass it then you are admitted to those Universies and if you don't, stay AWAY! I hope Busby is being investigated right now because it is the right thing to do.

I do remember about Rick Majuras (sp?) taking his players to eat which was a no big deal but the ncaa got after him which is stupid. Can you inmagine a student athlete giving an apple to his coach would be red flag (sound backward). All I can say, we will find out some day what will or don't against BYU Football.

Oh yeah, how about Bronco giving a wedding gift to KVN - is that against the ncaa? I would think so but I am sure Bronco would give it to him after he finished school. No, that is still a nono?

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 23, 2014 10:09 a.m.

@true blue aggie

Why are you reading a BYU worshipping newspaper? even more why are you reading a byu worshipping newspaper article about BYU? Answer.. there is no such thing as an article about utah state

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    May 23, 2014 9:59 a.m.

Wow, the amount of spin in this article is only exceeded by the number of posters who seem to be begging to be spun around. This is BYU in a nutshell. When others do bad things we hold Cougar nation up as being the type of people they should emulate. When we get caught doing something wrong we praise the wrong doer as a person as someone we should all emulate. At sacrament meeting this Sunday, will we be talking about how we can all be more Duane like? I think there is a real fear that this will get back to the coaching staffs knowledge. And boy, could that get ugly.

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    May 23, 2014 9:49 a.m.

The phrase that the NCAA uses the most when handing out punishments:

"Lack of institutional control".

Seems to fit this situation to a tee.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 23, 2014 9:45 a.m.

Give Duane his job back. This goes way over his head.

• Dante Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2014 9:36 a.m.

goforit says, "I don't think Christ would break any rules no matter how small." Christ broke several rules and laws: healing on the Sabbath, allowing his disciples to harvest grain from the field on the Sabbath as they walked through it, saying that the temple could be destroyed and He could rebuild it in three days, and more. The chief priests and scribes demanded Pilate crucify Jesus for blasphemy for claiming to be the Son of God, or "King of the Jews."

I know nothing of Busby, and little about BYU football. I do know that in the world there are big laws and rules and minuscule laws and rules--millions of them. Anyone can be tripped up by those seeking an excuse to ruin you. Sometimes it's just, sometimes it's unjust.

• tom2 Jerome, ID
    May 23, 2014 9:35 a.m.

"I don't think Christ would break any rules no matter how small."

Really? The Jews killed him for precisely that. He broke their rules that had nothing whatsoever to do with the Gospel. He healed on the Sabbath. He threshed wheat (in his hands) to eat on the Sabbath. The people that were more concerned about the rules than following the spirit of the gospel were given his harshest rebuke: He called them hypocrites.

Please let it be known that I am NOT comparing what Duane Busby did or did not do to Christ in any way. I am just pointing out a very big issue in your argument.

Also - third trumpet in the marching band didn't come under his personal responsibility. Besides, as this is BYU and third trumpets might be female, allowing third trumpets to crash on his couch overnight would be a much bigger issue...

• tom2 Jerome, ID
    May 23, 2014 9:26 a.m.

"You play by the rules that are in in play. Even if they're ridiculous and need some serious reforming, the rules are the rules. If BYU did in fact violate rules they should be held accountable."

Absolutely. Rules are rules and those that break them, for whatever reason, should be held accountable and should receive APPROPRIATE punishment.

"It doesn't matter why they were broken or how good of an individual the perpetrator is, the buck has to stop somewhere."

I'm sorry, that just isn't true. Manslaughter and murder are both the taking of a life. The difference is the intention of the perpetrator and thus the punishments are very different. Obviously that is an extreme case, but there are a lot of people calling for the "death penalty" for BYU. In all areas of rules and laws intention is critical in enforcement. Otherwise why would police officers be allowed to give warnings?

To pretend that intention doesn't matter in deciding punishment is to ignore reality. A philosophy professor once asked my class: "Is it always wrong for an adult to touch the private parts of an infant? (Pause) Have you ever changed a diaper?"

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 23, 2014 9:02 a.m.

This is a truly sad case. By all accounts Duane Busby was a very good man who was trying to help the players and the program every way he could. I hope the fallout from this doesn't include him being emotionally or physically harmed due to his own distress over what has happened.

That being said, BYU generally and specifically Bronco Mendenhall have hung their hat on being different. What were those three words Bronco wanted to put on the backs of the jerseys last season? I don't remember, but I know breaking NCAA rules wouldn't fit into the culture those words were meant to suggest. Bronco, more than any other coach at BYU has stressed the honor code and the difference it makes in the lives of the athletes and staff. He has referred to scripture in press conferences. No matter how good Duane Busby's intentions were, you cannot have a program like that and then turn around and say it was okay to break the rules, because you were just trying to help.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    May 23, 2014 8:54 a.m.

BYU and the NCAA are investigating. They will get to the bottom of this. In the meantime, there is nothing wrong with an article recognizing the good that this man has done. Let the investigation bring out the facts before you throw darts!

• Red San Antonia, TX
    May 23, 2014 8:40 a.m.

I've never met Duane Busby, but he sounds like he is a great guy.

I will stand by him ALL DAY LONG!

In fact, we need more people like him.

Football is on a downward spiral because we are chasing away guys like Duane. The media is trying to act like they are really doing a great job exposing things. I think that everyone needs to back off of every sport at every school. The hype and pressure and hate is driving everyone away.

Let's get our world back to some more normal times when everyone was a lot less sensitive.

The great day of protecting everyone from everything is proving to be our ruin.

Life is hard enough without trying to punish everyone.

• goforit Provo, UT
    May 23, 2014 8:38 a.m.

@Snack Pack

I agree it is Christ like if he was doing the same thing for others besides the football players. Otherwise I think it is only looking out to help him in his job. Good football players makes him look good. If third trumpet in Cougar Band is different in his sight then it isn't Christ Like at all. I'm not judging him, because he might do it for every one, just saying don't be too quick the other way in throwing out the phrase Christ like. I don't think Christ would break any rules no matter how small. Then again maybe Mr Busby didn't know it was against the rules. Only he knows.

• Danite Salt Lake City, UT
    May 23, 2014 8:32 a.m.

Two things:

1. You play by the rules that are in in play. Even if they're ridiculous and need some serious reforming, the rules are the rules. If BYU did in fact violate rules they should be held accountable. It doesn't matter why they were broken or how good of an individual the perpetrator is, the buck has to stop somewhere. Let's not try and minimalize what happened.

2. The other thing is, if there are not rules, hard lined rules, college athletics becomes a free for all. Can you imagine what some big programs could turn college athletics into without some stringent rules? What goes on is repressed by hard lined rules, some are ridiculous but in the long run, I think they keep amateurism intact. I for one love college sports and the student athlete model, in the name of "reform" and "common sense rules" we can easily head down a slippery slop to professionalism.

• dpal Provo, UT
    May 23, 2014 8:11 a.m.

Sure a lot of people who set themselves up as judge and jury. Like a bunch of vultures waiting for someone to do something wrong so they can pounce.

• Snack Pack Lehi, UT
    May 23, 2014 7:50 a.m.

You keep using the word "illegal". I don't think that word means what you think it means. The term is violation, not illegal. You can't go to prison for giving free meals. Only in the NCAA can someone (allegedly) give "free housing, gifts and other benefits" and be condemned and suspended. In the real world, that's called being Christ-like.

• 5 Orem, UT
    May 23, 2014 7:49 a.m.

I remember when Tark Arslanian, then head basketball coach at UNLV, called a press conference to announce that one of his players had just been notified that his grandmother, who had raised him, had passed away. He said NCAA rules didn't allow anyone to give the player money for a ticket to his grandmother's funeral, but he was publicly giving the player the ticket to go home for a few days. Because the incident was public, the NCAA never did anything about it. Thee must have been embarrassed about the silliness of some of the rules. I think the NCAA needs to follow their mission statement and actually show more concern for the athletes personal growth.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 23, 2014 7:30 a.m.

The NCAA rules are like the Tax code. No one knows what is actually in it and the arcane rules don't stop stuff from happening. If a kid got some reduced rent, so what? If he got a pair of socks, so what? No one was getting fee cars or money from boosters or new wardrobes. This isn't even close to what happened when SMU got busted back in the early 80's and got the death penalty. They cheated and had the best team money could buy on the field and still got beat by the Y in the Miracle Bowl. It appears that Busbey took the care and keeping of the players to be more important than some idiot rules.

The fact that the Y have been investigating themselves is a good thing. The recognize that there has been some type of a problem and are willing to face the music themselves.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 23, 2014 7:27 a.m.

So are we to believe that Busby did the wrong things for the right reasons? This is classic BYU spin from a sympathetic local journalist. Mr Call do you teach your children that it is OK to break the rules as long as they feel it is the right thing to do?

• goforit Provo, UT
    May 23, 2014 7:19 a.m.

Anyone who thinks this is a one time instance is kidding themselves. There are many boosters committing small violations all the time. Most never get caught. It is happening at all universities. Spencer Hadley's trouble was in part a boosters involvement. You have Jim McMahon, the Volleyball Team a few years ago. I am a BYU grad who has become less of a fan throughout the years. Fans are so self righteous about being better than anybody else in college sports, them try and explain infractions away as little.

I think it is time for BYU to follow BYU Hawaii and Ricks and just do away with sports all together. They bring a lot of exposure for sure, but much of it is negative. Plus all colleges are tired of BYU's holier than thou attitude.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    May 23, 2014 6:35 a.m.

Sounds like a really great guy who helped a lot of young men and helped influence and shape the lives of many, many now husbands and fathers. and, he did it without a lot of fanfare. I hope that is taken into account in the final say so.

And, I hope those who love to throw their poison darts of words at BYU for whatever reason on this comment board can show restraint and remain silent as this all comes out. Duane Busby was definitely a good man with good intentions!

• Riley Mendenhall Provo, UT
    May 23, 2014 6:28 a.m.

Bronco will proobably take zero responsibility in this.
    But as the head coach it is his job to know what is going on in the football program. Staff and players shouuld be trained on this and he needs to be aware of what is going on.
    How about more focus on complying to NCAA rules and less focus on firesides.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    May 23, 2014 4:53 a.m.

A very soft, one-sided article. Why didn't the writer ask questions of players about the allegations? Why wasn't Busby interviewed? Where IS the guy? We want answers, not fluff. I don't care how great of a "friend" this guy was - he's liable already for quite a bit of damage to the program. Sounds like he was trusted too much and left on his own without accountability. Is this the way Bronco runs things??

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    May 22, 2014 11:28 p.m.

I've known many people who had a gift for mentoring college age kids. When they run into problems, its usually because they forget to maintain a professional distance between themselves and those they are helping. Nonetheless, if the situation is as benign as the article describes, I would hope the system would be flexible enough to give this guy a second chance.

• From Ted's Head Orem, UT
    May 22, 2014 10:42 p.m.

This is likely going to get uglier. The student athletes are not charged with the responsibility of tracking adherence to the NCAA rule book and their glowing comments about Busby to not diminish his alleged mistakes, mistakes which likely would have got him fired had his bosses known about them. From what we are reading it seems he gave himself the authority to put BYU at risk for NCAA sanctions, all in the name of helping out the athletes. If the allegations are true, BYU SHOULD be penalized for not having a better check and balance system in place. Great guy indeed.

• phatness SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 22, 2014 10:35 p.m.

Good article. Sounds like Duane was caught between helping people out, and ticky-tacky rules that are intended to stop people from gaining an unfair advantage. But really, while laws and regulations to make people behave well have their place, you can't really force people to be good.

I don't know Duane, but from the statements contained in this article, I wish there were more people like him; people that paid more attention to the Golden Rule than to petty rules of bureaucrats. And if there were more people that lived by the Golden Rule, maybe we wouldn't need those ticky-tacky rules in the first place.

• TrueBlue=AggieBlue Logan, UT
    May 22, 2014 10:29 p.m.

I would expect an article like this from a BYU-worshipping newspaper such as this one. They tried really hard to make prolonged serious violations sound as small as shoplifting a candy bar, and they downplayed it further by painting him as some kind of hero for what he did for these people. News flash: rules are rules, and those who break them are not to be commended.

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    May 22, 2014 9:16 p.m.

Have to feel for the guy, he was evidently a real resource to generations of players.

In this whole thing, Hoffman's refusal to answer questions is striking. Is he simply trying to cover for his friend, or does this thing go deeper?

Certainly talk of a "safe house" seems like maybe there was some skirting of the Honor Code going on, which would certainly explain Busby's termination, and not just a reassignment to another area of BYU.

Time will tell... or maybe it won't. There is plenty of damage that could be done, interests that could be damaged. Maybe Busby's on the beach in Fiji. I wish him well.

• Proud Ute ,
    May 22, 2014 8:42 p.m.

Just wondering...... is this damage control?

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    May 22, 2014 8:32 p.m.

I sense he may indeed be falling on his sword…or in other words, the "fall guy"