Sports

BYU conducting internal review of possible NCAA violations

Comments

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    May 23, 2014 4:19 p.m.

Is the expectation that players essentially play football with no economic benefit to themselves ethical? Maybe what we should question is not the violation, but the rules that ban these types of benefits in the first place. Are such benefits really wrong?

• John Locke Ivins, , UT
    May 23, 2014 1:26 p.m.

The NCAA has so diminished its importance and credibility, particularly with the devastating sanctions it placed on USC, and after, allowing Miami, Oregon, North Carolina, and Ohio St. off the hook having committed much more severe outrages against the rules, whatever BYU comes up with will most likely not hurt their football program. Only their pride.

BYU is an institution built on firm and publicized moral and ethical principles, and their being classification as a "cheater," will be devastating to them for many years to come. I hope it is not true, or that is is limited to one individual. USC was penalized for the actions of one individual, whose alleged misconduct (actually the misconduct of his parents) took place in San Diego, not on the USC campus or anywhere near it. BYU could receive greater sanctions just because it does publicly take the high road of morality and ethics.

Good luck to them. Like many Utah grads, I cheer for Utah, but enjoy the success of BYU football.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 23, 2014 10:57 a.m.

Alpine Coug
    Alpine, UT

"RE: panamadesnews

Thank you very much for that reference to the Bleacher Report article on Duane Busby. Totally impressed by Duane Busby and his role in the BYU football program.

No doubt our anti-BYU trolls will continue to have a field day with these allegations without really understanding the true nature of this good man."

What type of a man he is in no way relevant to The NCAA nor will mitigate sactions resulting from any proven rules infractions. From their perspective, it's entirely 100% black-and-white. Did U violate the rules or didn't U?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2014 8:58 p.m.

@ sammyg

"Does it feel good?"

I would be lying if I said that BYU's last week didn't bring some schadenfreude.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 22, 2014 7:53 p.m.

Typical 'classy' rants from a "fan" base who just lurks around BYU looking for that special opportunity to let 'it' out.

Does it feel good?

I for one will wait and see what happens and I'm not worried the least bit. Life will go on with or without violations, etc...

... and the Utes will still be bowl-less and home again for the holidays.

That's what's really important isn't it?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 22, 2014 5:05 p.m.

This page brought to you by Tomahawk Red. Lol
    "Signed, the BYU band leader who never misses a chance to pile on Utah... for anything."

I have posted on numerous occasions complimenting Utah and speaking positively of their program. I can honestly say that I would never want Utah's football or athletic programs to cease existing or become completely irrelevant (and I have said that on more than one occasion). Question is could you say the same thing? I only criticize Utah when I feel it's warranted...maybe even more than I should but that's not piling on when/if Utah has had sanctions, player/personnel issues, or injuries. Utah fans here wanting the end of their rival is truly sad.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 22, 2014 5:03 p.m.

"To the Utah fans:
    . . .
    Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. . . with THAT being said, we won't hear any more snarkiness from your side for quite some time, shall we?"

Bleed:

Thanks for confessing our sins for us, coug fans. You do it so well, and so often.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 22, 2014 4:35 p.m.

MP--

U referenced improper behavior at byu which was never adequately censored, not unlike this article--

"Sure.

1) Max Hall
    2) Barry Lamb
    3) Fans/students throwing trash at referees - basketball
    4) Fans throwing trash at referees - football

Holmoe's corrective action...wait long enough and it will go away."

Throw-in falslev who, while still in uniform, squarely dropped the F-bomb before the camera, which then immediately went viral on YouTube....This was immediately following bronco not remaining professional and, instead, allowing himself to be goated into a confrontation w/suspenders, which equally made its way into YouTube....Never heard a peep about either embarrassing incident in follow-up....Hardly Christlike behavior for two church reps while in the public eye....At mininum, a public apology was in order from both, just as what this article's content, if proven accurate, will in part automatically require.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 22, 2014 4:09 p.m.

panamadesnews,

I'm sure Duane Busby is a good man. Everyone who knows him and has commented about him in the media says so. I have no reason to doubt that. That doesn't change the serious nature of what has been alleged and even what BYU has confirmed they are looking into. Does a man resign from a beloved job in the midst of an investigation, if he did nothing wrong? I for one am simply joining in the conversation of what the implications are for the BYU football program. I do not condemn anyone. Duane Busby has already taken a huge hit by losing a job he obviously dearly loved and was very good at. What is being discussed here now is what happens to the program.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    May 22, 2014 4:00 p.m.

As a Utah fan, I hope this isn't something that is going to cripple BYU's program. However, if rules were broken, then penalties have to be paid. Utah got in trouble when Majerus bought Van Horn breakfast, trying to console a heartbroken kid who's father had just died. If Utah can get in trouble for that totally inconspicuous, and totally understandable, violation of the rules, BYU will have to pay some sort of price, no matter how great the guy is/was and his motive for doing so. If BYU only gets a slap on the wrist, then so be it.

What is entertaining in this string of posts is the reaction by BYU fans, not only to what is happening with their program, but with the reaction by Utah fans. If this was a story about Utah, the BYU fan base would rain down on Utah like a Vegas monsoon, pounding us with righteous indignation that this was modus operandi for the classless heathens on the hill. However, since it is happening in Utah County, it is excusable because everybody does it and Busby is a great guy according to Bleacher Report. Interesting!

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    May 22, 2014 3:33 p.m.

We would all be well served to remember the Savior's counsel, "He without sin cast the first stone".

• Proud Ute ,
    May 22, 2014 3:31 p.m.

I'm waiting for the post out of happy valley with a reference to a story scoured (or made-up) quoting some obscure publication that lamely attempts to re-focus the conversation towards imagined problems at Utah.

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    May 22, 2014 3:31 p.m.

As a BYU fan/student, I almost hope something bad happens. Then maybe players will be allowed to transfer (and will transfer), and then they can have open tryouts to fill the roster, and I can go back and try and resurrect the glory days of football. Just trying to find the silver lining here.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    May 22, 2014 3:24 p.m.

@Tomahawk Red
    I doubt things aren't so squeaky clean on the hill either, wouldn't pound your chests to loudly buddy

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 22, 2014 3:18 p.m.

Cosmo1974
    Woods Cross, UT

--------

And likewise, if it were happening to Utah you can bet BYU fans would be doing exactly the same thing as Ute fans are doing now.

You can take that to the bank and cash it.

• Alpine Coug Alpine, UT
    May 22, 2014 3:06 p.m.

RE: panamadesnews

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    May 22, 2014 3:05 p.m.

Per my previous post, the title of the article on Bleacher Report is, "Former Coug Stevenson defends the accused".

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    May 22, 2014 2:54 p.m.

I suggest everyone on this site go to "Bleacher Report" and read a great story about Duane Busby by a former BYU player, who sees Duane as the one who helped him the most, even more so than Lavell Edwards. It is a good read and you will come away impressed. It will also explain Bronco's comments and his feelings about Busby leaving BYU. This read is a must for all BYU fans!

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2014 2:49 p.m.

"I believe ... Busby was funneling money ..."

I don't care who you are, that comment is just funny! - funneling money - Keep the laughs coming

• Cosmo1974 Woods Cross, UT
    May 22, 2014 2:43 p.m.

My Perspective:

Like Whoa Nellie said...Nice try.

How do you know what was or wasn't done in each of these situations? How do you know that nothing was done to the students that could be identified in the trash throwing? Everyone knows these incidents happened. I don't know who Barry Lamb is so I can't comment on him, but I heard Max Hall's comments, saw the trash throwing at the basketball game, and I was right there by the ramp as those terrible referees got trash thrown on them. All these incidents show a complete lack of sportsmanship, but there is no way any fan can know for sure what was or was not done until the individuals involved release the information.

• JBD Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2014 2:28 p.m.

Glad BYU is being proactive about the investigation.

That being said, the NCAA rules and regulations are somewhat archaic and over-reaching.

I hope this is resolved quickly.

Now let's go win some games!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 22, 2014 1:58 p.m.

One thing that should be made clear, players on scholarship are either provided housing while at school or are given rent money as part of their scholarship. Any discounted or subsidized rent would then allow them to take the money from their scholarship and spend it on something else.

This also wasn't done across the board. Certain players got the favors and others didn't. There's been no indication of what the criteria were to get the favors.

Most have said that Busby wasn't wealthy and wasn't known to own rental units so I believe boosters were likely involved and Busby was funneling money or arranging for housing discounts in booster owned properties.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 22, 2014 1:46 p.m.

BB,
    You're starting to get frantic and emotional. I've seen some of the comments that come from happy valley. I assume that the writers are LDS..So if they say and do things in the name cougar football, that is ok?

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2014 1:41 p.m.

I missed it in the story. Did anybody catch the name of the ute fan who brought Hoffman's socks to the attention of the Utah Compliance Department???

• BB Santaquin, UT
    May 22, 2014 1:23 p.m.

@UteMiguel

...The football program brings out the worst in some of the fans and is at best a distraction to the school's and the church's mission...

I have seen some of your comments on these forums... I assume you are LDS... So if you say and so things in the name of UTE football that is ok???

• ISU Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2014 1:05 p.m.

I am not a BYU fan but all the Utah fans might want to be careful with all the criticism. My guess it is happening at Utah as well.

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    May 22, 2014 12:45 p.m.

Division I collegiate football, and to a slightly lesser extent basketball, have been twisted and perverted into full fledged development leagues of the NFL and NBA respectively, they are unabashedly professional sports. Decadence almost to the scale of the NFL and NBA. Assistant coaches are paid $500k salaries. Both sports have morphed to the point where neither holds my interest anymore. Looking it at it these days from a new perspective, it is suprising, and a little amusing, how many people continue to buy into it. With each passing day these two sports run increasingly counter to BYU's mission, or stated mission. Someday, hopefully sooner rather than later, they'll have the courage to take the the detour and exit the D-I football and basketball road.

• DraperUteFan Draper, UT
    May 22, 2014 11:59 a.m.

Until several sources go on the record and the allegations are substantiated, this is a non story. If there were violations then go on the record and break the story. Until then, leave the speculation to the National Enquirer. I'm a Ute fan, but I have no patience for this kind of speculative reporting.

There are instances of blatant disregard for NCAA rules and those schools should be sanctioned, but the NCAA itself often lacks the "institutional control" it expects its member schools to abide by. Student athletes, especially football players, make universities and the media billions of dollars and many of them end up like pro players with permanent concussion problems, arthritis, bad knees and never play a down or get a paycheck by playing in the NFL.

Yes, they know the risks and they choose to play, but the NCAA should be ashamed at the number of stories of athletes living in cars while AD's, coaches, and the media make millions.

• Pearl.94 Riverton, UT
    May 22, 2014 11:49 a.m.

I don't like it, but considering all of the hard work, long hours, and big profits, football players deserve free food and free rent. It is hard enough to focus on faith, family, education, friends, and football without it.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    May 22, 2014 11:41 a.m.

It don’t matter if we do that stuff anyways because we are in a power conference and that makes us prestegous so theres no problem about it.

Go Utes!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    May 22, 2014 11:16 a.m.

@Mildred in Fillmore
    Like my mom always told me, if you're friend jumped off a cliff would you?

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    May 22, 2014 11:16 a.m.

It's been a tough couple weeks for us BYU fans. This could turn out to be serious or not much but it sounds like it will be more of something than nothing. Yes, it makes me mad and disappointed when people do knuckle headed stuff like this (or what it appears to be) especially when that knucklehead is a staff member. Ugh and double UGH!
    I also agree that athletes ought to be allowed living expenses but for now, that's not the rule. You can work to change them but until then, you live by them. Heck, I was offered a full-ride plus living expenses for a non-athletic scholarship so see no reason why they shouldn't have that available too. If the activity you're getting the scholarship for doesn't allow you to work, you've got to have something.
    At the time Busby retired, I just chalked it up to a personality trait that he didn't want any fanfare. Now this makes more sense (in a bad way) that he would retire so abruptly and asked for no recognition for his service. Yikes! Keeping fingers crossed.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2014 10:54 a.m.

Everyone is just ganging up on us.

What's the big deal? Everybody does it.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    May 22, 2014 10:47 a.m.

perspective, Nice try but missed, again.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    May 22, 2014 10:36 a.m.

If BYU has to forfeit wins or is ruled ineligible for bowl games moving forward, I'll acknowledge there was serious rule-breaking; otherwise, same old stuff, different day.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2014 10:08 a.m.

Whoa Nellie
    American Fork, UT

"perspective, could you please give one example of Holmoe sweeping something under the rug. Don't bother trying because neither you nor anyone else can do so."

Sure.

1) Max Hall
    2) Barry Lamb
    3) Fans/students throwing trash at referees - basketball
    4) Fans throwing trash at referees - football

Holmoe's corrective action...wait long enough and it will go away.

If these allegations are accurate, a "thorough byu inquiry" will likely be only the beginning.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    May 22, 2014 9:57 a.m.

Sad sad day for Byu, i've lost all faith in any sports whatsoever. With guys biting each others ears off in front of hundreds of kids etc etc, soccer fans killing people, no need to even mention all the stuff that goes no in pro sports. Well I used to prefer college football over the NFL but now with the amount of corruption that goes on in colleges its despicable. Bronco should be fired, i've never thought he was a good coach at all and he isn't, maybe he's a great guy that's fine but he should be sent packing.

• Mexican Ute mexico, 00
    May 22, 2014 9:52 a.m.

Unfortunate, if true.

Maybe BYU might be able to do what the sister campus in Idaho did and what the sister campus in Hawaii is doing now.

Pure intramural sports. It would remove many distractions from BYU's mission, though I do admit, they do get some exposure from their sports programs though honestly there are other programs such as the Young Ambassadors that get FAR more exposure.

Until BYU joins a bigger conference it might be ten years before they defeat the Utes. Problem is no one wants BYU. Not even the MWC.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 22, 2014 9:51 a.m.

I agree that we shouldn't condemn anyone before the investigation is complete, but there is enough information to know something happened. When an 18 year employee resigns abruptly with no explanation in the midst of an investigation into his conduct with certain past and present players, something is wrong. Sure, we don't know the specifics, but BYU has publicly revealed those two facts. So I have to disagree with the comments claiming this is much ado about nothing.

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    May 22, 2014 9:50 a.m.

@ nhatch82

"Another reason we wont be calling

-the Pac 12 conference of champions"

"How do you figure this? USC won in 2004 but it was vacated by "improper benefits" hmmm..... before that it was USC in 1972 the last time a pac 12 team won. Colorado won in 1990 but that was not a Pac 12 win. that would be a big 12 win. so where is the champion thing coming from??"

The PAC-12 is known as the "Conference of Champions" because they've won more NCAA National Championships than any other conference in the country. The PAC-12 has won 457 National Titles. It's not just about football, it's overall athletics that the PAC-12 excels at.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    May 22, 2014 9:29 a.m.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2014 9:25 a.m.

Utah'95 "I encourage my fellow Ute fans to pass on heckling their rivals on this issue. I believe this is a "there but for the grace of God go I" situation."

I agree with the heckling sentiment, but note that some Cougar fans have been quite boastful about never having been sanctioned by the NCAA. That may change. This could be a "pride goeth before the fall" situation.

• Red San Antonia, TX
    May 22, 2014 9:12 a.m.

The rules are ridiculous.

You can't live on a scholarship check and the NCAA prohibits athletes from working. Unless your parents are funneling you cash then you can't make it.

I don't think athletes should even be in the situation where they are needing to accept stuff from boosters. Just give them enough money to live.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2014 9:09 a.m.

Ernest T. Bass
    Bountiful, UT

"byu fans were in favor of firing an AD over a mean swim coach so in this case I suppose they would want all the football coaches and AD staff fired."

A valid observation, Ernest. Alas, the proverbial shoe is on the other foot now and of course, this instance is no big deal. Just ask the byu fans.

byu conducting their own investigation is a bit troubling given Holmoe's penchant for sweeping issues under the rug. No apologies necessary. I guess it's protocol in cases like this but to Ernest's point, the U had a third party conduct the investigation and even that wasn't good enough for byu fans. Karma.

Yes, the NCAA rules are archaic and over the top but they are rules all programs have to live by, even byu. What is particularly troubling in this case is that, if true, the infractions involve administration payed by byu who knew, or reasonably should have known, their actions were wrong. This is not the careless act of one or a group of fans.

Let the investigation play out but this is indeed unfortunate.

• nhatch82 Eagle Mountain, UT
    May 22, 2014 9:01 a.m.

@ChrisB

"Another reason we wont be calling

- the Pac 12 conference of champions"

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    May 22, 2014 8:25 a.m.

re: Hutterite

"That Stadium would make an incredible engineering lab, in dollars and cents."

Its already an experiment in Physics every time Riley throws the ball.

Seriously, are you suggesting that the y does something similar to Tennessee who has their Anthropology Dept at one of Neyland Stadium?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 22, 2014 8:24 a.m.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    May 22, 2014 8:20 a.m.

Regardless of how this plays out, my hope is those in power will see fit to keep byu's opponents in perpetual heartfelt gratitude by ensuring both bronco/holmoe stay put in their current capacities, long-term....Thanks in advance!

• Bob Pomeroy Bisbee, AZ
    May 22, 2014 8:11 a.m.

I'd think it very difficult to make sense of NCAA rules as applied in the context of the prevalent BYU attitude of lending a helping hand to someone in need. The NCAA's absolutist rules penalize student athletes in so many ways. Sure there can be abuses, but those are what the NCAA should focus on rather than technical violations of the letter of the law. Substituting rules for judgment is just a way of avoiding responsibility for exercising what is perhaps the most important quality of humans. If abuses were the focus, rather than occurrence, 'mistakes' could result in admonitions and corrections rather than the guillotine.

• CBAX Provo, UT
    May 22, 2014 8:05 a.m.

This wouldn't be an issue if BYU could just win.

But we won't really "win" when we need to. This investigation just makes things worse.

• Parkite1 Park City, UT
    May 22, 2014 8:02 a.m.

If the allegations are true then both Bronco and Holmoe need to go since it happened on their watch!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    May 22, 2014 7:43 a.m.

To the Utah fans:

1 - Let's just wait and see until we all have more credible facts before we start throwing stuff around, eh?

2 - "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

So.....with THAT being said, we won't hear any more snarkiness from your side for quite some time, shall we?....

I'm glad we had this little chat.

• JMT Springville, UT
    May 22, 2014 7:05 a.m.

The short minded history of both BYU and Utah (anti-BYU) fans. Did not Crowton have a major scandal that include allegations of rape, etc? Did we not hear the same hand-wringing, glee of BYU's demise? And....

In the end a strong measure of justice will be handed out, BYU football will continue along much the same path. The BCS Conferences will neither say yes or no based on any of this. The MWC the same. Schools such as Texas, Notre Dame, USC, etc will not change their equation for scheduling BYU in the future one bit.

Virtually every major sporting program will have at some point something like this. Not to excuse it but human nature kicks in, people make bad choices, they are discovered and the process of justice kicks in.

The next step is to allow the process to play itself out. The speculation among fans implying they have some great insight as to what actually happened and by whom, comical. Anyway....it is a BYU football story. So long as it has the letters B, Y and U it will be cause for the trolls and anti-trolls to lashout. It gets tiring.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    May 22, 2014 7:01 a.m.

I only read part of the comments because I was completely turned off by the extreme negativity of Utah fans. Sound like the typical verdict of guilty coming before the we have heard all the facts. Breathing room requested while we wait to get the full story.

Go Cougars!

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    May 22, 2014 6:13 a.m.

This is unfortunate for BYU.

As a lifelong Utah fan, I LOVE it when the Utes beat BYU on the field or court, but I have always admired how BYU goes about their business. If there was wrongdoing in Provo, it is the exception rather than the rule for the BYU athletic department.

• IA Cougar West Des Moines, IA
    May 22, 2014 6:12 a.m.

Wow...Jury of anonymous posters already has all the evidence? Sharks in the water? Hilarious. Much ado about nothing.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 22, 2014 12:50 a.m.

It's been a bizarre week of news in Provo. Maybe it's time to stress over cookie presents while the SEC and BIG 10 commit major violations while the little guys get scholarships taken away over a soda pop. The NCAA is so corrupt. Utah and Boise have felt their unjust wrath. If it's BYU's turn, then that bites. This Ute is waiting for more news, if it ever legitimately comes, before passing any judgment on the blue.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    May 22, 2014 12:32 a.m.

Look on the bright side BYU....it's national exposure.

• So-CalAggie Park City, Ut
    May 22, 2014 12:20 a.m.

just wait until the out of state members of the LDS Church start complaining that the byu football team is making the members look bad, that's when byu Provo becomes byu Idaho/Hawaii.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 22, 2014 12:00 a.m.

Re: UteMiguel

As a member of the LDS Church, do you want to see the LDS Church shut down it's missionary program because there are elders around the world who do despicable things like get investigators pregnant or shack up with other sister missionaries? Shutting down the sports programs at BYU for PR Reasons isn't a good reason to end sports. If that's your reasoning for why the programs should shut down, then maybe the whole Mormon Church should shut itself down because there are members who say they believe one way and do another, and that sets a bad example too.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    May 21, 2014 11:40 p.m.

As a Ute Fan, this is almost laughable. Why would BYU do this? They don't need to do it.

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    May 21, 2014 11:34 p.m.

wazzup
    Cottonwood Heights, UT said:

"It will boil down to a single member of the staff, who recently retired, and meals and other stuff that he gave players on his own. Like always, the local media loves this stuff. Fortunately the speculation will be worse than the actual facts."

Wow, care to share your inside information with us? Nobody knows what is going on, including yourself. So please keep the speculation to a minimum until we know the actual story.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 21, 2014 11:28 p.m.

That Stadium would make an incredible engineering lab, in dollars and cents.

• wwookie Payson, UT
    May 21, 2014 10:40 p.m.

I will play for you, but I can't afford rent. I also wouldn't mind free gas.

• SUNNY ALL DAY Saint George, UT
    May 21, 2014 10:28 p.m.

What's troubling is the person who made a decision to do these things was the Director of Football Operations hired initially by LaVell, rehired by Gary and Bronco. It's difficult to believe the Director of Football Operations would not know the NCAA regulations forward and backward. Add in the sudden retirement of the former Director. Not good, not good at all.
    It's interesting to note Glenn Tucket who helped develop BYU's squeaky clen image was brought in by Alabama when Alabamma was under NCAA investigation. The thinking was that Glen Tucket from BYU would be the perfect hire to polish Alabama's tainted image.
    If the reports are accurate, it will be a long time before someone comes knocking on BYU's door to help avoid NCAA sanctions.

• ekute Layton, UT
    May 21, 2014 10:14 p.m.

After byu football went independent, half joking about the demise of the program was fun, now it's getting too real.

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    May 21, 2014 9:55 p.m.

I for one would prefer to see BYU shut down its football program. Not as a Ute fan (BYU has become almost a guaranteed W and I'm reluctant to give that up), but rather as a member of the LDS church. The football program brings out the worst in some of the fans and is at best a distraction to the school's and the church's mission. Consider that the Youtube video of BYU fans dumping trash on referees garnered something like 8 million views. Is that the kind of exposure we want for the church?

• Cosmo1974 Woods Cross, UT
    May 21, 2014 9:37 p.m.

I think it would be safe to say that if whatever this situation is was happening to Utah, all their so called "fans" would be saying the same basic things BYU fans are saying like,"Lets wait for all the facts to come in","Nobody yet knows what really happened","Show some respect." etc., etc. The only reason some Utah "fans" are happy about this is simply because its BYU. If it were almost any other school, they would be saying the same things I mentioned above.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    May 21, 2014 9:19 p.m.

I LOVE the idea that the P5 will now be less interested in BYU because of this. People, the P5 were literally built on this kind of stuff. If anything, it probably has the Big 12 giving BYU another look.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 21, 2014 9:17 p.m.

Lifelong:
    Good grief. I put lol after the sock comment for a reason. I guess I will have to put *sarcasm after every sarcastic remark I make. Obviously it's hard to convey that on a comment board so I'm not blaming you or calling you out, just saying maybe I need to be more clear about my sarcasm. Did you honestly think I really believed it was just "socks" though? Again, I think the fact BYU is on top of this and not trying to cover it up like USC will help them, and I don't think the investigation will find that it was huge hand outs or anything. The rent report could be something but I don't know for how many months...one, two? Like I said, we'll see.

Wildcat:
    I am disappointed in BYU right now, but it's ok...dont feel sorry for me. I'm also a UGA fan that has had to put up with multiple marajuana violations by Georgia players so I'm used to offseason drama. It would be nice if CFB programs ran tight ships but we all know the majority of them don't.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    May 21, 2014 8:58 p.m.

I feel sorry for fans like cougsndawgs. BYU administrators have let their fans down. Weber State had some players cheat on a math test. They self reported and the players who weren't dismissed from the team missed half the season. The NCAA has to make an example of a program every now and then to give the illusion that they enforce their codes. They aren't going to do this with the SEC. With BYU being independent, I would be worried about the NCAA making them the example. It might be in their best long-term interest to set their own tough punishment. Free rent would require harsh sanctions.

I wouldn't be writing any articles degrading MWC Commissioner Thompson either. BYU is one MWC boycott away from total irrelevance to possible destruction. BYU needs to get a new AD and join a conference soon. Good luck BYU.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2014 8:49 p.m.

Cougs dawgs,

Ya right, only socks?
    Keep dreaming.
    Ya that's what Hoffmans agent said. He also told Cody not to participate in the investigation to "focus on the combine"
    How long would it have take to clear up a couple socks?
    You are in far left field if you think this ends with a pair if socks or two

I am going to remind you your prediction when the truth come out

• Uncle Rico Provo, UT
    May 21, 2014 8:20 p.m.

Utah owns BYU at LES.

Take a look at the North End Zone in the picture.
    It has a U (because it is like a home game for Utah every time they play there)

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    May 21, 2014 7:58 p.m.

Let's see how this plays out before making silly comments. While this situation is much more serious than Majerus buying Van Horn a hamburger after his father died, it isn't like the violations that got SMU the death penalty. I hope this turns out to be a minor violation but regardless, not a good issue for the Y to have right now.

• lefty200 kaysville, UT
    May 21, 2014 7:57 p.m.

For those of you who don't know.... The NCAA requires that each school self report a wrong doing or the penalty will be much worse when discovered... BYU isn't just being the goodie two shoe, but self reporting is required. Also, athletes keeping quite also bring on condemnation to the program, if they try to side set issues during the inquiry. It's better to come clean right up front. Because a coach holds a player out for a game doesn't make a team self righteous. A wrong doing, is a wrong doing. Gun hoe associates of a program need to be kept in check as well as the athletes. It's not just wrong if you get caught, Wrong is always wrong Quit hiding things right from the start.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 21, 2014 7:43 p.m.

Do these alleged infractions seem more minor than a coach taking a player to Bill and Nada's while telling the player of his father's death (as requested by the player's mother)? Or a coach paying for cookies to the basketball team while watching game films? Yet the U was sanctioned for a couple of years (I believe) and lost a scholarship for a year or two (again, I believe) However, the U had to answer to a conference, it's members, and it's commissioner as well as the NCAA. BYU will self review, Just as it has done in the resent past about improper "hits" in football games and you know how that turned out.

• 81Ute Central, UT
    May 21, 2014 7:34 p.m.

Bummer.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    May 21, 2014 7:11 p.m.

Have any of you yokels ever heard the term "innocent until proven guilty"? BYU is doing what it needs to do apparently, check it out and see what has happened. I seem to recall star players being held out of games in the past because a class was dropped. BYU tends to react much more than other schools to show they will operate above board. Because Church leadership is on the school board, I know the right thing will be done.

BYU is known for how clean the programs are and have been. I can only imagine that this will be a lot of noise over nothing.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 21, 2014 6:26 p.m.

Mormon Ute:
    I wasn't referring specifically to you...I think you can read the comments and know to what ute fans I was referring.

My meals comment was sarcasm...I think we will find after the investigation that there weren't large items or amounts of money involved...sounds more like equipment. Hoffmans agent referred to socks, lol. I don't think it will amount to much in the end, but we will see. Btw you are usually respectfully even in your sometimes negative but true criticisms, so don't take everything I say toward "ute fans" to necessarily include all of you.

• sdcoug SAN DIEGO, CA
    May 21, 2014 5:48 p.m.

Brave Sir Robin, you are in violation of the Sarcasm Code of Conduct. You're spitting out my words! LOL, good post about the SEC.

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    May 21, 2014 5:28 p.m.

It's so good to see all the Ute partisans on here giving the same respect to due process and avoiding speculation about the Y football program that they demanded the U swim coach receive.

Thanks for your consistency.

• CougOrUte..Naah Nibley, UT
    May 21, 2014 5:18 p.m.

As a USU Aggie Fan, I hope that this is not true. I admit that I have been critical of the Cougar Coaching staff and administration. But if this is true, there are way too many people who uphold and believe in the Cougar football program who would be disappointed. The team has done a lot through their pregame firesides and other outside programs to build people up and strengthen them. This would be a huge betrayal of those peoples beliefs and standards. What a kick in the gut for them. Best of luck in clearing this mess up and moving on. Gotta believe that Bronco has no knowledge of this.

• Uncle festis Pasadena, CA
    May 21, 2014 5:07 p.m.

Spirit, honor, tradition

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 21, 2014 5:04 p.m.

Cougsndawgs,

I for one am not piling on, but am simply expressing my disappointment as a college football fan and an admirer of the great program BYU has had.

As far as meals from a booster, you've got that wrong here. This was benefits from a staff member of BYU's football program and the media is reporting it was a lot more than meals.

• 311ute Reno, NV
    May 21, 2014 5:00 p.m.

No news is good news in the off season, BYU is full of news right now.

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 21, 2014 5:00 p.m.

Not getting cooperation from former players who may have received improper benefits is not a good sign that this situation is much ado about nothing. The investigation by school authorities is I am sure an attempt to discover the extent of the benefits, resolve the problems, punish the offenders before the NCAA does. I doubt that the NCAA will be satisfied with the school's efforts and will do its own investigation. The consequences could be serious, loss of football scholarships and banning from post season play. It will be interesting to see this story and the NCAA's investigation unfold.

• Juxtaposed West Jordan , UT
    May 21, 2014 4:53 p.m.

Every Pac-12 has been found guilty of recruiting violations. That includes Utah. To say that BYU wouldn't be invited because of them is myopic because if the Pac-12 only accepted those programs that had always been on the up and up there would be no teams in the Pac-12. They didn't invite BYU for the same reason Baylor never got an invite. The Pac-12 doesn't want teams with religious affilations and I'm okay with that.Colorado got in and last time I checked they aren't exactly the Vienna Boys Choir of college athletics.

This news is what it is. If there's guilt then a punishment should be meted out.There is no sense worrying about something that's already been done. You can't stop people from making bad choices and kids make mistakes and so do adults.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    May 21, 2014 4:44 p.m.

Why don't some you people wait until all of the facts are in before you rant and rave and condemn BYU for something that may or may not have happened. I reviewed KSL online, and Hoffman's agent said he had advised Hoffman not to return to BYU for an interview, as he needed to get ready for the NFL. that was apparantly 2 months ago. He said Hoffman had received a couple pairs of socks that he thought came from the training room. He said Hoffman has done nothing wrong and he was not going to comment about other players. He says he doesn't think these allegations amount to much and is not worried about it. Let's wait and see. Those who make a big deal about this and it turns out to be nothing, I hope will be so embarrassed, they will never comment on another BYU article. I think all of us BYU fans ought to remember who these posters are and respond to them at a later date when the investigation is done. I'm taking a copy of all of these posts so I can refer to them later.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    May 21, 2014 4:44 p.m.

I'm guessing that Rick Majerus bought somebody a hamburger. It's happened before.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    May 21, 2014 4:38 p.m.

@Henry

Usually the school is the one who does the initial investigation and reports the findings to the NCAA (assuming, of course, that the school is taking the "self-reporting" route, rather than getting caught by the NCAA), and then if the NCAA deems it necessary and/or serious, they will also investigate. At least that's how I understand it.

• Levin Reno, NV
    May 21, 2014 4:31 p.m.

Agree with Che6 (don't know if you were kidding). But the Big 5 truly are trying to get the authority to take care of players in the same way as is alleged of BYU. While this news can't be good for the Y, it does make it look worse on the Big 5, working to keep those benefits to themselves.

• Utes11 Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 21, 2014 4:28 p.m.

what happens if , as a part of the punishment, the NCAA says, "No televised games for 1 year".
    ESPN says, "bye-bye byu"

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    May 21, 2014 4:28 p.m.

wazzup,

Are you suggesting any violations of NCAA rules are ok? I hope not.

I remember when Rick Majerus treated the Ute Basketball team to a pizza party and if I remember correctly, the Utes lost a scholarship or two for a while as a result. This seems a lot more serious than that. Serious enough for a man to resign from a position he had held for nearly two decades. It appears obvious to me that resignation was a feeble attempt to protect himself, other staff and the program. He should know from observing the sanctions against Reggie Bush and USC that the sanctions are inevitable, even when the bad behavior happened in the past. This will at best make it more difficult for BYU to run an effective football program and at worst could be the end of football at BYU.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    May 21, 2014 4:25 p.m.

Boy, love the class of Utah fans piling on. Don't look now but you're hatred of BYU over your love for your utes is showing....again. And U aren't relevant either and never will be...why does it matter to U anyway? Moved on huh? Riiiiggghht.

This is more bad news. It's unfortunate BYU has made so many mistakes at such critical times. Hard to blame anyone but themselves. I hope they can navigate their way through all this. As for the Big 12...if you think they care about a booster giving players meals and that is going to keep them out, you're pretty naive as to what happens at the majority of CFB programs, including Utah. If the Big 12 never invites BYU I doubt this would be a big reason.

• GD Syracuse, UT
    May 21, 2014 4:23 p.m.

The Y as other programs try hard to let fans know they are not to do certain things for the players. Then to have a staff member put a black mark on the program is sad. Things will be okay but it will hurt for a while.

• Utes11 Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 21, 2014 4:14 p.m.

Is this how they are able to recruit and keep high level skill players? I have always wondered 'Y' would that go go there??

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    May 21, 2014 4:14 p.m.

LOL@Brave Sir Robin

Free rent? Sheesh...

I worked for the USU athletic department for a short time as a tutor and it was DRILLED into our heads that we were not to do anything that might even remotely be construed as an improper benefit. Pretty much show up, do your job, and leave. Don't even fraternize with the players outside of your job capacity. You'd think that a guy who worked as a staffer for years would know not to give his favorite players free rent...

• Tennor Orem, UT
    May 21, 2014 4:12 p.m.

Chris Bm would you actually prefer BYU to shut down their football program?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 21, 2014 4:12 p.m.

Now way this is real. like with the player in Los Vegas story this is just a set up from a jealous rival "fan".

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2014 4:09 p.m.

Wow....

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    May 21, 2014 4:06 p.m.

As a BYU fan, I must say Brave Sir Robin, I got quite the chuckle out of your first comment. Well done good sir.

• RSLfanalways Why, AZ
    May 21, 2014 3:52 p.m.

Another black eye for BYU

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    May 21, 2014 3:50 p.m.

I would think the NCAA would be the proper body to conduct the review but its not clear from the initial reports if they are involved. I think its really not fair to start pointing fingers at anyone in the absence of any proof. Besides, there's plenty of stuff to needle our friends at BYU about while we wait for more information.

• 4BS St George, UT
    May 21, 2014 3:45 p.m.

Not a big deal, it is not crippling and BYU football will prosper in the years to come. Ute trolls making a big deal out of nothing.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    May 21, 2014 3:25 p.m.

wazzup

Really? Because you were there to witness the event?

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    May 21, 2014 3:23 p.m.

No conference will touch BYU now not even the MWC. The Brethren have their weekly meeting tomorrow. I would sure like to be there. Should be very interesting.

• Che26 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 21, 2014 3:22 p.m.

This is fantastic news. Now that BYU has NCAA violations just like every other school in the power 5 (including Utah) They will see us as serious contenders who will do anything too win and invite us into their fold.

• Idahotransplant West Jordan, UT
    May 21, 2014 3:20 p.m.

If all of this is true, didnt SMU recieve the death penalty? Maybe Lavell Edwards Staduim should be used now for Rugby and Soccer

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 21, 2014 3:15 p.m.

Well,

Safe to say the power conferences, which byu so desperately wants to join, will be even LESS interested now, if that was possible.

There's not even a "chance" in the Lloyd Christmas kind of way at this point!

byu football is done!

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 21, 2014 3:15 p.m.

So what you're saying is that BYU's recruiting was this bad when players were receiving improper benefits? I shudder to think about how bad it would have been if players hadn't been receiving improper benefits.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    May 21, 2014 3:13 p.m.

Look, I know BYU wants to attract the attention of the SEC, but acting like them probably isn't the best way to do it.

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    May 21, 2014 3:05 p.m.

Why wouldn't Hoffman participate if he had nothing to hide.

Its being reported current players were taking benefits too.

I imagine this will cripple the byu football program for many years. There apparently are numerous violations. There will be many transfers, players kicked out, lost scholarships, and permanent damage to whatever was left of the respect byu had.

Gone! Can't wait for the spin from Holmoe about "don't panic we are byu"

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    May 21, 2014 3:05 p.m.

Even as a Utah fan, I hope these allegations are not found to be true. But, I suspect that they are.

• redthunder Ogden, UT
    May 21, 2014 2:54 p.m.

First the SEC-ACC announcement and now this! When it rains it pours huh? At this rate the church may just find it easier to shut down football altogether.

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT