Faith

LDS brothers' Eagle projects take them to Ghana

Comments

• Jon1 Arlington, VA
    May 21, 2014 7:30 a.m.

Living away from Happy Valley out in the real world where they eat thier young, it is so refreshing and inspiring to read stories like this that show young people living the Gospel through scouting.
    Thanks!!

• grandmagreat Lake Havasu City, AZ
    May 21, 2014 8:25 a.m.

This wonderful story really qualifies for a Kleenex. What a wonderful experience for these boys. Helping other people is something many youth do not know about in this day and age. But these boys are really special, and are living the teachings of Boy Scouts, to be kind, and to help other. The are also living the things they are taught at Church. My prayers are with this family.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    May 21, 2014 8:39 a.m.

Not going to make me jealous. Nope can't do it, I'm not going to think about collecting all that stuff, meeting a lot of good friends. I'm Not Getting Jealous, At All. Nope, not me. Ain't going to happen.
    Maybe.

• holt SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 21, 2014 11:23 p.m.

This amazing article of such service orientated boys and their amazing parents really touched my heart. The pictures brought such a feeling of gratitude for their dedicated work and tradition of serving the children in Ghana. As I continued reading the article right to the end, I was thrilled beyond words to find out this Brother Ballard will be the new Mission President in the Oregon Portland Mission. My husband and I just received our mission call to serve in this same mission. From our home in Alberta, Canada to Portland Oregon we are looking forward to getting to know this wonderful new Mission President, his lovely wife and family when we report to our mission. What a selfless example this family is to all of us.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    May 22, 2014 4:11 p.m.

My comment is not a criticism but a caution. Certainly this family has done an amazing, worthwhile project with their sons. But only one brief sentence mentions what an acceptable Eagle Scout project should be

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    May 22, 2014 4:23 p.m.

(My previous comment got sent in error before it was finished. Here is the remainder.) An Eagle scout project is chiefly about leadership. The article only briefly mentions the troop meeting together to sort through the collected materials, and says nothing about how the scout trained and organized his help. The impression is left that adults, including the Forever Young Foundation, did most of the leading out. Articles of this type need to be carefully scrutinized by any Eagle Candidate before making assumptions that his project is all about service and not about leadership. The family, foundation, and the scout district/councils likely did an admirable job to insure the scout performed an acceptable project. But writers and readers of articles reporting successful projects should be careful not to arrive at mistaken impressions.

• gday Gilbert, AZ
    May 23, 2014 10:39 a.m.

G L W8 -- Relax! And don't jump to conclusions. There is nothing in the article that states that these young men weren't fully involved in directing the projects -- notwithstanding your rush to judgement that adults did most of the leading out. This is an article in Deseret News, not Scouting magazine. We don't need all the scouting details. Many of you scouters take yourselves way too seriously.